2024 Vikings

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Turner, Van Ginkel, Greenard and Patrick Jones are going to be a problem all year, pretty impressive how they have turned that position group over and still improved it.

CaptainMusky

Agreed Werm! I was worried when we let Hunter walk, but then started hearing more about this Greenard guy and then the stud rookie fell into our lap.

Dan
    Southeast MN

pretty impressive how they have turned that position group over and still improved it.

Agreed. I believe it was Christian Darrisaw that said during training camp he’s been challenged with moves from Turner that he never saw from Danielle Hunter before. Some of the talk is that although the Vikes lost a stud in Hunter, the overall D-line might be better this year.

Justin Donson

It was just refreshing to see the Vikings maintain a strong lead for the entirety of the 2nd half and not have it come down to the last drive like every single game has for the last couple of years…

Darnold looked pretty solid I thought. While the Giants suck, they have some talent on the front 1/2 of their defense. I thought we were in for a long day when Dexter Lawrence came straight up the middle on that first drive for the sack, but we adjusted well!

But man, Daniel Jones looks so bad. It’s so funny that the Ed Donatell defense basically got him his bag for that WC win a couple years ago and that has totally hamstrung their franchise. On that note, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, and Kirk all looked pretty bad yesterday. It’s nice to be on the, ‘not getting screwed’ side of that fence:

Burrow: $55M / year
    Lawrence: $55M / year
    Watson: $46M / year
    Cousins: $45M / year
    Jones: $40M / year

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

It was just refreshing to see the Vikings maintain a strong lead for the entirety of the 2nd half and not have it come down to the last drive like every single game has for the last couple of years…

Would have liked to see them score in the 4th quarter. Seemed to me they took their foot off the gas there…. smash

-J.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Week 1 of a 17 week marathon. If your opponent rolls over in the 2nd half at their home. You match their lack of energy and walk out with the W. Keeping your foot on the gas is for home games and Division rivals only.

Ripjiggen

Some ugly games week 1. Some real ugly QB performances.

ThunderLund78

We get San Fran on a short week (which probably doesn’t mean as much at the beginning of the year) and the entire team gets to relax and watch SF play tonight.

On a side-note, can’t wait to watch A-rog play his first snap in a year in what will be a VERY tough road game to start the season off on tonight.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Sounds like there is some concern about Cousins mobility in ATL. whistling

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sounds like there is some concern about Cousins mobility in ATL

Hadn’t they seen any tape from over his career? shock

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I caught a little of ESPN this morning and they were ripping Atlantas game plan. Putting Kirk in shotgun/pistol pretty much the entire game when he is best suited for play action and under center. With that game plan they figured he still isn’t fully healed from the Achilles . Either way, better Atlanta has Kirk than the Vikes!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Armchair highlights:

Jefferson TD – No Griddy dance.

Jones Lambeau Leap – Old habits hard to break.

Van Ginkel pick 6 – Who is this guy? Love his name!

-J.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s a decent chance McCaffrey misses the Vikings game on Sunday (short week and on turf)

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There’s a decent chance McCaffrey misses the Vikings game on Sunday (short week and on turf)

Its being reported now that he is unlikely to play on Sunday in Minnesota.

“Christian McCaffrey is a longshot to play this week against the Minnesota Vikings,” NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday morning, citing conversations he had had with people around the situation. “The 49ers all thought [he] was going to shake off some tightness that he felt late in the week of practice… He worked out pregame [against the Jets] and it was just not quite right.”

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Its being reported now that he is unlikely to play on Sunday in Minnesota.

“Christian McCaffrey is a longshot to play this week against the Minnesota Vikings,” NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday morning, citing conversations he had had with people around the situation. “The 49ers all thought [he] was going to shake off some tightness that he felt late in the week of practice… He worked out pregame [against the Jets] and it was just not quite right.”

I believe he was also not expected to play last season vs the Vikings and yet he did, so we’ll find out Sunday…

Bass Pundit

The next two weeks will determine if the team has a shot at contending for the Division title or if a wild card is the best we Vikes fans can hope for. Splitting the games is not the end of the Division title hopes, especially if the win is vs. the 49ers.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Heard a pretty impressive stat this morning on KFAN, KOC is 18-0 when leading or tied in turnover margin.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hoping they don’t lay an egg this week. Got tickets to the game.

ThunderLund78

I’m going as well, should be a rabid atmosphere to start, at least. Our group has a ride to and from the game, plus we’re hitting up another friend’s well-established tailgate party a few hours before and probably after. Gonna be a good day!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What a turn of events. A goal line stand on defense turns into a 97 yard touchdown pass.

Bass Pundit

The INT when everything was going MN way is a huge mistake that Darnold just can’t make. It’s not surprising we gave up TD. Will the Offense be able to punch back and double up? Two field goals before the 9ers next possession would be a big win.

We got the 3pts before half.

And three and out, coming out of halftime. The Vikes are in trouble. D needs to get some some pressure and get a turnover.

Bass Pundit

The D picked it up in the 2nd half. The Jones fumble was a tough break, but it sure made the game more exciting. A bunch of stuff the O needs to clean up. Hopefully, Jet is OK.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When they got the ball back in the 4th, they chewed up almost 7 minutes going down the field to kick a FG and make it a 9 point game. I thought that was a good response after the Jones fumble and subsequent TD by the Niners.

JoeMX1825
    MN

When they got the ball back in the 4th, they chewed up almost 7 minutes going down the field to kick a FG and make it a 9 point game. I thought that was a good response after the Jones fumble and subsequent TD by the Niners.

Sam made a couple of big boy throws on that drive! Fun game to watch, defense is for real! How good will this offense be when all of the weapons get healthy? JJ just has a quad contusion, he’ll be back next game…

That Fred Warner punch fumble move is deadly!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Impressive win. toast

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Heard a pretty impressive stat this morning on KFAN, KOC is 18-0 when leading or tied in turnover margin.

19-0 now. I’d say it’s the single most important stat that decides the outcome of the game.

CaptainMusky

The D picked it up in the 2nd half. The Jones fumble was a tough break, but it sure made the game more exciting. A bunch of stuff the O needs to clean up. Hopefully, Jet is OK.

My son would have won 300 on underdog if Jones got in!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Who knows how long this will last…. you can brush off the win against the Giants but they won today because they seem to have a good team.

Remember all the talk about how Darnold or McCarthy could succeed because they had Jefferson, Addison, Hock, and Aaron Jones? Darnold came through with some big plays and 3rd down conversions in the 4th quarter without any of them.

This O-line is good too.

This defense is a blast to watch. They may not have a statue-looking freak like Danielle Hunter but they have more guys now up front with speed and athleticism. Van Ginkel nearly picked off another short/quick QB play today. And through two games the secondary has played surprisingly well. I’m sure he needs more rest than in the past, but Harrison Smith looks like he could play another 3 years.

The rookie kicker has been solid. Always worrisome for the kicking game as a Vikings fan but it’s comforting to think about the fact that he played BIG-time football for Alabama. He’s had to make kicks in some of those huge stadiums in SEC country in the college football playoff. I would argue a recent Alabama grad has played in bigger and more stressful environments than the Panthers or the Giants the past two years.

Bass Pundit

I think the 49ers gave us their A Game and the Vikes were the better team. If Uncle Sam and the core playmakers can stay and get healthy being Division Champs and NFC title contenders isn’t unrealistic. Our D is for real and hungry. I will be shocked if the Texans come into town next week and beat us. We have two legit RB’s, a healthy and good O-Line, which make our O tough to stop because every opponent has to respect KOC’s passing first instincts. Darnold is more mobile than Kirk and has a better arm talent. The Lions, Packers, and Bears are going to watch the tape of this game and crap their pants. I know good football when I see it and the Vikes this year are a dangerous team full of players with something to prove. I think they can hang with anybody.

Brittman

I agree that the Vikings long drive in the 4th was really big. Made it a two-possession game and gave that D a bit of time to recover.

The Vikings D is legit and held a very good SF offense in check except for the one 99-yard drive and that 4th quarter dreaded prevent D with allowed the 49ers to move way too quickly. Thankfully the D tightened at the goal line pressing them to take a field goal.

Early on the D was out there (time wise) quite a bit because the offense stalled a time or two and the 99-yard drive in a couple plays (Jefferson 98-yard TD) did not take much time off the clock.

It was very warm and humid in the stadium yesterday. West doors open and I do not believe they turned on the air (or turned it up enough) until late in the game (maybe). I believe a few players were cramping on dehydration.

Kick offs still a bit strange. The declared onside kick resulted in everyone lining up old school.

Viewing 30 posts - 421 through 450 (of 491 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.