2024 Vikings

• Ripjiggen

Sounds like he’ll miss the remainder of pre-season, which is valuable, but be in playing shape very early in the reg season. Let’s hope Darnold can be steady and uninjured himself. Jaren Hall is NOT a pro quarterback.

Where did you see that. If it is a full repair which I don’t know why he wouldn’t do that it’s 3-6 months.They won’t know if it’s a full repair or a snip till they get the scope on it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

He’s definitely a gunslinger. Tosses for 400 yards and 2 TDs but throws 3 picks along the way…

ala early Favre…

CaptainMusky

I would trust Mullens over Hall at this point if Darnold implodes.

troutbum
    St. Paul

This team goes thru so many effing quarterbacks. Its unreal. Aspiring to be like the Bears.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s 0 incentive to race JJ back. Get him fixed, rehabbing, and back to practice. The situation isn’t at all as drastic as people are making it out to be. I really don’t think the “plan” was for him to start any games in the first 10-12 weeks of the season, if at all.

I’ve already went on record saying this, but I think Darnold will shock some people. He’s got an arm, and has never been put in a spot to succeed. He now has weapons and an improving defense. Most importantly, he’s playing for a contract elsewhere the following year, which alone often really drives professional athletes to great seasons.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I’m so sure they still do don’t resign him. If JJ has a full repair they still don’t know what they have in JJ. next year they will have a lot of cap room they might offer Darnold a contract.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

It’s funny how all these Skoldiers nationwide just panic immediately. This is a 500 team no matter who is QB with how much better each team got in the division. JJ will miss out on some development physically but he now has a chance to learn this playbook inside and out in his pace so when it’s go time, he will slide in 100% whether its this season or next. I think its a blessing in disguise but I am not a diehard that eats, drinks and sleeps in purple pajamas.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m so sure they still do don’t resign him. If JJ has a full repair they still don’t know what they have in JJ. next year they will have a lot of cap room they might offer Darnold a contract.

If he goes 9-8 and keeps the Vikings relevant, some team will offer him multiple years at $30 million + per going into the 2025 season. The only way the Vikings keep him beyond this year if he is incredibly mediocre or even below average and he accepts a 1 year deal…or if he goes out and leads the Vikes to 12+ wins and looks like a franchise QB, causing them to throw big $ at them

Ripjiggen

Learning the playbook yeah that’s what makes a great QB.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

But it’s not like pre season reps are the make or break item either.

Good point I heard on (I think) the Vikings Daily podcast was that once the season starts, JJ ain’t getting any more first team reps anyway until they deem he’s ready to start, which best case likely wouldn’t have been until after the Bye week. Even if they do the long term repair (4-6 month recovery) that puts him ready to go in February, and can go into next off-season as the #1.

Yes, missing out on the reps for the next couple weeks is definitely a bummer, but the guy is only 21! He’s THREE years younger than Bo Nix, or Joe Burrow was when he was drafted. The kid really seems committed to the craft and has the right midset…he will be fine.

As our favorite QB to hate once said…RELAX.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here’s a NFL Team Physician’s take on JJ’s injury…nice to listen to somebody who went to school for this stuff vs those who stayed at a Holiday Inn….

stout93
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Good point I heard on (I think) the Vikings Daily podcast was that once the season starts, JJ ain’t getting any more first team reps anyway until they deem he’s ready to start, which best case likely wouldn’t have been until after the Bye week. Even if they do the long term repair (4-6 month recovery) that puts him ready to go in February, and can go into next off-season as the #1.

Yes, missing out on the reps for the next couple weeks is definitely a bummer, but the guy is only 21! He’s THREE years younger than Bo Nix, or Joe Burrow was when he was drafted. The kid really seems committed to the craft and has the right midset…he will be fine.

The dude barely threw the ball in college….pretty safe to say the coaching staff planned on him taking tons of reps in practice and now that’s out the window and pushes him out a year. Vikes lose one year on the rookie contract.

CaptainMusky

He didnt throw the ball much in college because they didnt need him to. What did he lose 1 game his entire career?

stout93
    Becker MN

He didnt throw the ball much in college because they didnt need him to. What did he lose 1 game his entire career?

So he’s a refined passer and needs no reps is what you’re saying?

Or what are you trying to say because it really has no significance to the discussion..

CaptainMusky

So he’s a refined passer and needs no reps is what you’re saying?

Or what are you trying to say because it really has no significance to the discussion..

Thats a helluva leap for even you. Never said anything remotely close to that. I merely pointed it out because they were winning like every game and they didnt need HIM to win them a game.
    Of course he needs reps and this puts him behind thankfully he can be around the team and learn the playbook, but that only get so far.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

He will miss more than a couple weeks of reps. Possibly the whole season of reps. Doesn’t matter if it’s with the 1s 2s or 3s. It full speed reps that any rookie at any position but especially QB needs.

Does that mean he won’t be a good QB? Of course not.

JoeMX1825
    MN

another positive spin on this is that if it had happened during week 8+ then he’d likely be missing the big portion of TWO seasons… if he gets the full repair he’s only missing 1 and likely a good chunk of that 1 would probably have been as the backup anyways…

Heal up JJ!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Report is that JJ had the full repair this morning and is likely out for the season. Definitely not ideal but it is what it is.

The silver lining is that he should be ready to go 100% by February, the team will likely have a top 10 pick in the draft, and we will have $75-ish million in cap space for next year.

The kid is no doubt going to have a chip on his shoulder next year and will be ready to prove himself.

CaptainMusky

Good to hear. Anyone know what the long term prognosis is for this? Will he be more prone to have it again or just roll of the dice?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good to hear. Anyone know what the long term prognosis is for this? Will he be more prone to have it again or just roll of the dice?

from what I’ve read he should be fine for the rest of his career, of course it won’t be as strong as if he never tore it though, but that’s to be expected.. The sports medicine Doctors have got so good at repairing these things that it’s becoming more of a routine procedure, not like the old Terry Allen days when there were only a handful of Doctor’s who could do the procedure and it was rare to come back at 100%…

The arthritis won’t kick in until he’s long gone from the league…

The kid is only 21 years old, I bet he’s back to throwing early in the recovery timeline and he’ll likely be able to do most of the practice reps (obviously not at 100%) by the end of season…Just keep the kid away from the sidelines during practice and games, we don’t need another Chris Finch incident…

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

There is nothing good to hear about this. The Vikings FINALLY got a QB to be hopeful about via the draft and now he is sitting out for the ENTIRE year hurt.

Unbelievable, really.

JoeMX1825
    MN

In Darnold we trust for this season….

if he plays well, great, if he stinks we’ll likely be picking very high in the draft and can either draft a gamechanger or trade back a bit and recoup some of our traded away picks back…

CaptainMusky

Just keep the kid away from the sidelines during practice and games, we don’t need another Chris Finch incident…

Didnt that happen to Zimmer too?

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Here’s the silver lining. He’ll be brought back on the active roster early. Once the vikes make it to the NFC championship, they’ll stick him under center.

CaptainMusky

Once the vikes make it to the NFC championship, they’ll stick him under center.

I like your optimism.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Vikings fans everywhere are rejoicing. Now instead of spending only half of the season talking about next year’s draft picks, they can spend the entire season partaking in their favorite past time!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The Mc Carthy injury has nothing to do win Wins and Losses THIS year. Zero.

But it is a major gut punch and complication for the future of this team.

There is no positive spin or silver lining. If you really think there is then I’d love to know what you are smoking.

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 491 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.