2024 St. Croix river reports

• LabDaddy1

What’s the word?

I was able to scrape up a few eaters last night, along with some decent white bass on the lower end. Long-lining and casting cranks from 3-8 fow during low light.

Saw a few other boats out but 95% were gone by dark.

LabDaddy1

Didn’t someone say the no-wake starts at around 683? Looks like we’re there now and rising.

Was hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon but I have a season pass at the bluffs and don’t necessarily wanna make a big run at 5mph. I know there are fish to be caught nearby but that’s where most people will be, especially on a Friday.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I’ll be out Saturday. Haven’t fished in 2 weeks but did get this 26.25” fish last time I was out! 15 fow on a crawler harness

Would be interesting to hear how others are doing too. Moving around to find fish will be tougher with no wake.

Attachments:
    1. 444952284_18402930121076538_5770900411166043658_n.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s a nice walleye for the St Croix! waytogo

-J.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Thanks! I was pumped. Overall this year even the eaters seem a little chunkier than usual too

LabDaddy1

VERY nice croix fish, phoyem. waytogo

Say, does anybody know if st croix bluffs tends to shut down when the Hudson launch does? I checked their website and it says open but I want to be sure. Thanks

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Thanks! I don’t know; but I think Hudson is the first to close down. Bayport is essentially always open btw.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hudson will close at 84 feet. Should be opened back up by tomorrow or Thursday.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Anyone fish the southern end? Any tips?I’ve never been out there fishing. Is the St Croix bluffs park launch good?

TIA –

LabDaddy1

Anyone fish the southern end? Any tips?I’ve never been out there fishing. Is the St Croix bluffs park launch good?

TIA –

Yes, the bluffs launch is very nice. Protected cove, good ramps, good depth and plenty of docking available. Plenty of parking too. I want to say it’s $12 or so for a single launch and $30 for season pass.

Lower end is good fishing both to the north and south. You can also hit pool 3 from there.

Very steep drop offs, so sometimes trolling can be a challenge trying to maintain consistent depth. Say you’re trying to troll 12 fow, ten feet to the right you’re in 187.5’, ten feet to the left you’re in 3’ with rocks and/or thick weeds. Exaggerating of course but you get the (drift?).

Lots of very deep water and the fish seem to use every bit of it. The biggest challenge is finding them. There are great fish of just about every species and size class. Croix is a fantastic fishery.

Good luck.

LabDaddy1

P.s.: don’t go wasting any bait out there. If the fish don’t eat it, I’ll take it mrgreen

LabDaddy1

Anybody been out lately? Was able to get out on shore a few times lately and have caught a couple walleyes and a bunch of smallies but nothing crazy.

Was kind of expecting the river to come up a bit with all the rain but it’s pretty much been consistently and slowly going down?? Weird.

Justin riegel

Anybody been out lately? Was able to get out on shore a few times lately and have caught a couple walleyes and a bunch of smallies but nothing crazy.

Was kind of expecting the river to come up a bit with all the rain but it’s pretty much been consistently and slowly going down?? Weird.

It bottomed out today and will be going back up again with a what will be the highest crest of the year. How high that is depends on how much more rain we get, would not be surprised to see it hit close to major flood stage.

This past Tuesday for our league it was a little slower for most, but most were able to measure 3 fish for the 3 hours of fishing. It is cancelled again tonight so we are 3 for 6 on the year. Usually this time of year is the best fishing for me.

LabDaddy1

Dang, bummer!

I’ve noticed on the Mississippi(my home waters) the fishing generally slows down when the river is rising, especially fast. The bite is usually better with stable or falling levels. Is this generally the case on the croix as well? I would assume so but curious what the guys in-the-know have to say.

Thanks for the input Justin.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Dang, bummer!

I’ve noticed on the Mississippi(my home waters) the fishing generally slows down when the river is rising, especially fast. The bite is usually better with stable or falling levels. Is this generally the case on the croix as well? I would assume so but curious what the guys in-the-know have to say.

Thanks for the input Justin.

I would agree with this on the Croix too. We haven’t done very well on the Croix the past couple weeks. We got our 3 fish last week in league in a 5 minute period but didn’t catch another walleye after that. Caught 3 short fish trolling Sunday. My bro fished Monday and he struggled also.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I heard from a seasoned Croix river rat years ago you want to be out there the moment it starts to go down.

LabDaddy1

Good(and bad) to hear I’m not the only one.

Suzuki, interesting. Be cool to test that theory.

SoDakangler

Has anyone been out lately? Looking to possibly make my first trip out there this year on Thursday. Wondering if it would be worth the time

Justin riegel

Has anyone been out lately? Looking to possibly make my first trip out there this year on Thursday. Wondering if it would be worth the time

If your looking for walleyes, this time of year is not the best. We will see what are league results are from last night, but is struggle right now to find over 15 inch fish at least for me. There are better fisherman then me though in our league.

Saying that it is always nice to get out there especially when the weather is like it is right now and there is always something to catch. last night in three hours we got 3 white bass, 2 Mooneyes, 2 perch, a sheepshead, a sturgeon, and 4 walleyes, but only one was over 15 inches.

SoDakangler

Can’t catch walleyes sitting at home so might as well give it a shot. Will be a beautiful day at the very least

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ill be out there tonight on a small dinner cruise. First time. It will be weird.

LabDaddy1

Ill be out there tonight on a small dinner cruise. First time. It will be weird.

I can think of worse ways to be tortured!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It was the Lady Chateau. Pure class. I was super impressed with the boat and the service. A real treat. I highly recommend her if you get the chance.

Attachments:
    1. Lady-Chateau.png

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.