2024 Spring Turkey hunt

• Hunting24seven

I like if you don’t get one this season it just rolls into the last season.

I love that they changed this. Besides, late May can be fantastic hunting and the pressure is still pretty low.

BrianF

I’m not a turkey hunter but this one was on my sons back deck yesterday in the Twin Cities metro. Looks like a shooter?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3961.jpeg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

That’s a dandy turkey!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’d shoot that Tom any day of the week.

Brittman

It is never too late in May to hunt turkeys.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It is never too late in May to hunt turkeys.

The wood ticks and mosquitos this morning while I was cutting trees told me otherwise. I picked off 7 ticks for a 15 minute tree cut, and I had to wear my hood up for mosquito control.

Brittman

Son and I walked into our blind at 8:30 and pulled it all up at 10:30 … took two trips back to the truck because we doubled on a pair of nice Toms.

They came in silent.

There are definitely ticks, but where I have been outdoors – mosquitos not bad at all (yet).

Pyrethrin spray may be a tad expensive, but it works and it will last at least a week (most often two) if you saturate your clothes with the spray.

I used to kill quite a few around Sunrise but urban sprawl took away some damn good turkey land that I had private access on. We always hunted in May.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Son and I walked into our blind at 8:30 and pulled it all up at 10:30 … took two trips back to the truck because we doubled on a pair of nice Toms.

They came in silent.

There are definitely ticks, but where I have been outdoors – mosquitos not bad at all (yet).

Pyrethrin spray may be a tad expensive, but it works and it will last at least a week (most often two) if you saturate your clothes with the spray.

I used to kill quite a few around Sunrise but urban sprawl took away some damn good turkey land that I had private access on. We always hunted in May.

The turkey were on the opposite side of the field from us today, we had seen 3 strutters in the corner while cutting a tree off the road. Seems to always be the case if I’m not hunting

JEREMY
    BP

Tonight may be stepsons last hurrah. Moved my blind last night right where i see them strutting every night. They are stuck with 2 hens always so i figure if they wont come to us we will go to them. Hope the neighbor guy dont get mad I set up pretty close to property line facing where we have permission so shouldnt matter but people can be goofy sometimes.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

We saw 3 big ones locked up like statues on the way to go fishing sunday. I’m gonna border jump and try for a Wisconsin turkey over memorial weekend. If you can get one interested this time of year the odds are good he will come in. The hens are spending more and more time on the nest every day.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Still have a couple new hunters I’m taking out this week to end the year. Was able to take my two WI birds opening night of my season last Wednesday. 6 came in and 4 left. We filled our 4 tags but the birds sure are not talking too much over the last few years were we hunt. Each year they gobble less and less. If we do not scout we would have a tough time knowing birds were in the area. Numbers are getting less and I know other states are really starting to hurt over the last couple years.

States are cancelling fall season’s to help prevent hens being shot and lowering tags and how many birds are taken. Our group is even going to just go to one tag from now on until we hope we see the numbers go up at least in this area we are hunting.

I was able to call in the group of birds from a good distance away. This green up is great can get a great hide on the field edges and they have no clue you are there. All 4 were taken with no decoys and they sure came running to calls this last week. We did have a momma bear and cubs to try and avoid a couple days :).

We bumped into her in the woods one evening but lucky she moved on didn’t care about us.

Attachments:
    1. image000002.jpg

2. image000003.jpg

3. image000004.jpg

4. 16.jpg

5. image000001.jpg

6. image000000.jpg

7. 15.jpg

Brittman

To be honest killing a Tom often is anti-climatic. I love watching birds, working birds, and getting a big strutter in range. I probably will go out a couple more times this spring in Wisconsin. If I do not have a friend, relative, or newbie with me, any birds coming in range may be fortunate that I may be shooting them with a camera or iPhone.

Brittman

WI continues to buck the trend on licensing. My advice would be for WI to limit the total number of licenses per person at 2 or 3 combined for the entire spring season or start with one tag per season A-F per individual (would effectively limit it to about 4 or 5 licenses per person). I do not live there so I have no say. The WI success rates are pretty dismal if all those holding licenses are actually hunting.

Per WI DNR:

Without correction for non-participation by hunters who bought a license but did not pursue birds this spring, the 2022 statewide success rate was 17.7%, compared to 16.9% in 2021.

That said WI DNR thinks they are doing it right …
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2023/06/10/wisconsin-hunters-register-9-more-turkeys-in-spring-season/70307278007/

JEREMY
    BP

Well after 4 years of trying I moved the blind to the right spot and the 2 toms came out right where I thought they would. All the anticipation led up to.
    “I missed”. I was in a hurry when I moved it Sunday night. Thought I was about 15 yards off the corner they come out but was actually about 30. Still makeable but oh well at least he got a chance. Worst part he didnt even seem bummed. Not that I wish he would have cried but wish he at least would have stomped his feet or threw his hat or something. FYI dont go without bug spray.

Brittman

It happens. It is hunting and not just shooting.

I find my kids behaved much more civil when out hunting with me. Whether it was that they were holding a gun or just being far away from mom there was no need to over react.

I have never witnessed a meltdown or even a tantrum when outdoors with my kids (now all young adults) … hunting, fishing, hiking, etc…

Just make sure he isn’t feeling bad because he may feel he let you down.

JEREMY
    BP

Hes good we talked about it. I just wished there was a little more passion. Maybe he dont wanna be a hunter we will see. I asked him this morning if he thought about how it happened and what he could do different next time. And he said “thought about what?” I know whenever i miss something especially at that age i thought about it. I still do. I do know if he dont wanna be a hunter thats fine but aint gonna be a couch gamer like he is at his dads house.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Yeah, I’ve missed my share of turkeys too. At least I can say I’ve gotten better over the seasons. Time and experience out hunting lead to improvements in skill. I remember when I missed a layup I was really down in the dumps. The turkey was right smack dab in front of me standing still and I whiffed it. There was an afternoon of self pity, and I almost thought about quitting. Instead I got my head on straight, and went out two days later. The same turkey came in range and I hit the bullseye. It was a good hunting lesson for me.

Brittman

Enjoy time with your kids outdoors, put them in situations for success but also let them earn “it” as they get a bit older. As they get some experience quit playing dad and try be a partner. Ask them to call the birds, ask them which spot should we hunt next, where do we set up a blind, etc…

I think it is a bit more difficult for many kids (especially girls) to get more into the outdoors because if you are in the metro … everything becomes a trip vs. an after-school activity.

Kids can also lose some interest as they get into HS if they do not have a brother or friend(s) that have the same interest. That is often when and where the passion builds.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Here we are, last week of turkey season. Good luck everybody, go out there and fill ya tag.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The numbers for spring turkey hunting are in. They are posted in a the star tribune today, which I posted below. Its a record harvest and the second highest participation (behind 2020). An unusually high number of jakes were taken, mostly because the spring hatch in 2023 was very high. Wisconsin also had a very high harvest.

Minnesota’s wild turkey hunters shot a record number of birds this spring, surpassing the previous high mark by 19%. Youth hunters added to the success by participating in larger numbers than they did a year ago.

Nate Huck, resident game bird consultant for the Department of Natural Resources in Brainerd, attributed the success to an abundance of gobblers and to this year’s mild winter and early spring.

“We had a great harvest,” Huck said. “The birds were more dispersed on the landscape early in the season, and that gave people more opportunities.”

Tom Glines, national director of development for the National Wild Turkey Federation, said he’s ecstatic about the record harvest of 16,660 gobblers in his home state. It easily beat 2020′s previous record kill of 14,000 jakes and toms. This year’s six-week-long spring season ended May 31.

“Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois all experienced fantastic harvests this year,” Glines said.

According to Wisconsin’s preliminary harvest data, hunters there shot 50,435 turkeys during the spring season. It was the state’s fourth-highest spring harvest on record and a 22% increase from the state’s five-year average.

So abundant are wild turkeys in Wisconsin, the state printed 246,068 authorization tags for the spring season. Hunters applied for or bought 224,068 of them. The 2024 spring season in the Badger State started April 13 with a two-day youth hunt. The youth group registered nearly 4,000 turkeys, a 37% increase from the five-year average.

Overall participation in Minnesota’s spring turkey hunt increased 11% over last year. The DNR sold 59,654 licenses for the spring hunt this year, the most since participation in the turkey hunt spiked in 2020 to a record high of 63,297 purchases. This year’s license sales included 7,768 youth licenses and 5,684 licenses for kids 12 and under. The 12-and-under category grew by 20% from a year ago.

Wild turkeys were extinct in Minnesota until they were reintroduced 51 years ago in Houston County. They have expanded greatly since, now flocking as far north as Baudette. But Huck said the DNR doesn’t have a reliable population estimate. The agency recently launched a citizen-powered wild game bird brood survey to help calculate one.

Huck and Glines gave similar answers when asked what made this year’s spring turkey hunt so successful in Minnesota. Primarily, they said, spring nesting conditions were ideal in much of the state in 2022. Birds born in 2022 and 2023 showed up in fields this year in large numbers. Moreover, the non-winter of 2023-24 allowed for the survival of weaker birds that would have succumbed to seasonal food scarcity. Jakes (young male turkeys) accounted for 20% of this year’s harvest — two percentage points higher than in 2023, Huck said.

During this year’s hunting season, there was more rain than normal, according to DNR’s statewide precipitation chart. But Huck said hunters worked around the rain and probably resorted more often to hunting from covered ground blinds to take advantage of turkey abundance.

The geographic midsection of Minnesota was the top harvest area, he said. Hunters choose to hunt in one of five different time periods. If they are unsuccessful during their chosen period, they can try again in the season-ending period May 22-31. Not only was the total harvest a record this year, hunters set statewide harvest records for this year’s opening period (April 17-23) and for the second period (April 24-30), Huck said.

Both Huck and Glines are predicting strong nesting success this spring. Unless winter takes an unusual toll on flocks, hunters can expect another good year in 2025, they said.

“I’d like to keep success rates high, because future conservation success revolves around good numbers of hunters,” Glines said.

JEREMY
    BP

Dont think the hatch will be good by us. The hundreds or who knows how many hens that took advantage of low MN river levels to nest were all flooded out before they could hatch. May 3rd is when it when over in Belle Plaine.

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.