2024 Live From The Tree

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pretty sure you’re required to count a lost bird towards your daily limit.

If that’s the case, then would do it.

Is that the case with a lost deer too? You’d think it would be the same, wouldn’t it?

I couldn’t find anything either way in the regs for lost birds or deer, might be worth an email to the DNR for confirmation.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I didn’t mean to derail the thread on lost game or birds and if they are a part of the bag limit or not.

I will try to contact the DNR for clarification on this and I will report back.

Carry on with the Live from the Tree season thread. waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

If Mr Warden is watching you better make an attempt to retrieve birds. Jackholes by us got nailed after I may or may not have tipped them off. Not sure in all cases but dropping ducks in the cattails and not looking for them or counting them dont sit well with Johnny Law. Losing stuff happens but these guys did it everyday.

JEREMY
    BP

That’s why I asked what others would do in this situation. No need to attack me on it.

Kind of an attack cause pretty sure you jumped right on the same kick last year when someone had some crappy luck.

CaptainMusky

If Mr Warden is watching you better make an attempt to retrieve birds. Jackholes by us got nailed after I may or may not have tipped them off. Not sure in all cases but dropping ducks in the cattails and not looking for them or counting them dont sit well with Johnny Law. Losing stuff happens but these guys did it everyday.

Yeah that is dirty! You better at least make an attempt to find it. I have spent a lot of time trying to locate downed birds but sometimes my shooting is crap and other times the dog just cant find it because its young.

CaptainMusky

Kind of an attack cause pretty sure you jumped right on the same kick last year when someone had some crappy luck.

Its not an attack to ask a question which is precisely what Gim did here. He didnt post any judgement about it at all.

deertracker

Can we please keep this thread to the original topic please?
    DT

CaptainMusky

DT

What he said. Even though I contributed sorry.

Michael Best

This hunting season is my 38th bow hunting season.
    Loosing an animal is going to happen if you hunt long enough. It’s never easy to deal with.
    It crossed my mind to punch my tag but decided not too.
    I doubt I shoot another deer this trip anyway (hunting till Sunday).

Hunted a piece of public that I found coyote hunting a few years ago.
    Had a doe and this fawn come by tonight.

Lots of bucks are stripping velvet right now and I have always thought that bucks can be tough to hunt for a couple days when doing so.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4250-scaled.jpeg

deertracker

Thanks for the updates. I wish I was one of the lucky ones that could get started so early. I had a buck on camera multiple times a day that disappeared for two days. He is back now without velvet. Must have wanted some privacy while he was going through his change. Keep the reports coming. waytogo
    DT

Michael Best

A view from tonight set up.
    This is a piece of public I found yesterday. It just screams big buck.
    Most of the deer I have seen this week have been relating to standing corn. It’s almost like the abandon the green beans. I would say half the fields are still green and the other half are turning.

Last evening sit of the trip. Haven’t hunted a morning yet but going to skip into where I hit the big 10 pointer tomorrow morning. Hopefully Mother Nature will give me a sign of where he is.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4254.png

2. IMG_4252-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Youre a bold guy. That looks like a prime spot to have someone walk into your setup

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are you saddle hunting Micheal?

Michael Best

I do a hybrid of a saddle with a tree stand.
    I wear my Tethrd saddle but I hunt out of my Novix Helo stand. For stocks I run 4 beast stocks with a 2’ aider on the bottom stick.

I do have a predator platform from Tethrd but don’t use it very often.

Michael Best

What I thought was a buck nest turned out to be a nursery.
    Just does and fawns tonight.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I do a hybrid of a saddle with a tree stand.
    I wear my Tethrd saddle but I hunt out of my Novix Helo stand. For stocks I run 4 beast stocks with a 2’ aider on the bottom stick.

I do have a predator platform from Tethrd but don’t use it very often.

Interested in your reasoning to hunt with a saddle but still use a helo, bigger platform? They have a seat so just curious. Keep up the reports!

Michael Best

The helo is a small platform but bigger than a tree saddle platform. Plus it has a seat so I can sit down in it. Just a more comfortable set up for me.

The reasons for using a saddle instead of just a harness. The saddle has 2 large linesman loops that are rigid and perfectly placed on my sides for easy use of hooking in the linesman rope. When I tie off. I use the bridge of the saddle which is at my waist and not on my back. I can lean off the stand if need be and be supported by the saddle and last but not least the saddle comes with 2 belt pouches that I use for various gear.

On a side note I use an ascender on my linesman rope. It make for quick easy adjustments. I use the same linesman rope and ascender with carabiner to tie off once on the platform.
    I ordered 2 Kifaru shoulder straps and attached them to my helo stand. I can place the sticks on the stand and my small back pack and cinch them in with the 2 straps for attaching the stand to the tree.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Side question, how do you like the helo. I’ve been heavily considering picking up the novix but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Looking for something a bit smaller then my alpha. My alpha is a great stand but it could be refined a little and that’s where the helo would come in to play. I’m not a saddle guy ( yet) but I am a portable guy always on the move. Amd now Mason is old enough he can start carrying my alpha

Michael Best

I like the helo a lot. It’s just a smaller version of an alpha.
    A couple of tweets I have done to the stand.
    The non buckle loop is zip tied to the versa buttons so they can’t slip off. The other one is I put on stealth strips made for cam buckles on. I also put stealth strips on the vertical post for the seat.

Jimmy Jones

DT

I agree. The stands and heart break hit could have been in their own threads.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Good info Michael, I have the helo as well and I do like it. One thing I started doing last year was instead of keeping lineman’s ropes, lifting ropes etc in pack I got some Molle pouches to keep these items in so they easier accessible and don’t have to mess around in a pack. The saddle with pouches makes sense.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

I agree. The stands and heart break hit could have been in their own threads.

That was my Last one, back to the topic!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sorry I asked about what I guy was currently using while live in a tree. I assumed we could discuss that being he was in a tree with the equipment I asked about. Won’t happen again.

TH

A cub trying to join my nephew in the ladder stand while bear hunting.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5490.png

Droptinex2

Laying in my back yard, north Iowa

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5677-scaled.jpeg

deertracker

Sorry I asked about what I guy was currently using while live in a tree. I assumed we could discuss that being he was in a tree with the equipment I asked about. Won’t happen again.

I like some of the equipment questions. We all can learn something. I was just getting annoyed by the back and forth debate. Thought it took away from the thread.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I like some of the equipment questions. We all can learn something. I was just getting annoyed by the back and forth debate. Thought it took away from the thread.
    DT

I figured as much. The only real questions I ever want to ask are tied to being in the tree. I know Mike hunts pretty much the same way, hang and bangs and I like to see what systems others are running.

Michael Best

Great morning to be in a tree. Surprisingly the bugs were non existent. I think I had a mosquito buzz me when I was setting up. Had a doe go by at 30 yards. Decided to give her a pass.

Basically all I was hunting was a pinch point on a travel route from food to bed.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4278-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

Good luck out there fellas! A little warm though especially this afternoon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The mosquitos are like hornets out here. And of course I forgot my gloves.
    Set up near a swamp edge they have been cutting through to the beds on the other side.

Attachments:
    1. 20240914_164845-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.