2024 Live From The Tree

• deertracker

Here is the annual live from the tree thread.
    Deer, bear, whatever. Always fun to see who is seeing what. Use this thread to post live updates/pictures from your stand, blind or pre-season scouting trips. Also, it makes it really nice if you post your state and general area so we can see deer movements.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just put out 1 camera a couple weeks ago. Wasn’t going to at all but I have 2 boys that visit every morning and evening and some times 4 or 5 times a day. I am ready for bow season. Hoping the tall guy sticks around. We will definitely see. Haven’t done to much scouting but the few trips to 4 different areas are promising. I scout all early season tho. This is my first year saying no to all but 1 cam on one property

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240824_174250_Photos.jpg

Michael Best

Well it’s been a crazy weekend.
    Drove up to ND on Friday after work. Bought my license and tag. To my surprise tags are mailed out no matter how you buy them.
    Pondering what to do. The best case scenario I would get my ND tag on Wednesday. So I decided to drive to NE since season opens up there on the 1st. Spent Friday night in O’Neal NE. Got up the next morning and finished my drive down to Beatrice.
    Did some scouting Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
    Sat last night and had 2 does and a fawn go by at 25 yards.
    Went in tonight where I hunted last year on opener. Just had a 3 pointer go by at 2 yards.
    I am hunting in a sea of standing corn.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4231-scaled.jpeg

Michael Best

Big 10 pointer came running in at 7 pm.
    Stopped him. Guessed him for 30 yards and let the arrow fly. Shot looked great.
    His reaction not so much. He ran 60 yards. Stopped and stood there for what seemed like 5 minutes.
    After a half hour I checked arrow and headed for the truck to figure out the next move.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4234-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hope you can find the buck. Have to imagine it’s still pretty warm in Nebraska.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hopefully you can find that deer Mike. Did you look last night ?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Hopefully you find him. That arrow doesnt look bad at all.

Justin riegel

Hopefully you find him. That arrow doesnt look bad at all.

Looks like nice and light pink like lung blood.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The suspense is killing me. Hopefully you found him no more than 50yards from where he last was standing.

Michael Best

Sorry for the delay in responding.
    Bottom line is I haven’t found him yet.
    I called a tracker last night and we started tracking at 4 AM with his dog. He had to leave at 6 AM to go to work.
    I waited till after the dew burned off and started tracking again only to loose blood very fast. I could see the blood I seen last night. He just wasn’t bleeding a lot. At impact there was spray all over the corn and grass. Decent blood till he stopped. Pool of blood there but then it was drops afterwards.
    Started grid searching until a half hour ago.
    Ran to town to grab something to eat. The tracker will be back at 4 with his dog to give it a try again.
    He thinks the dew was over stimulating his dog. His dog is a blood hound.
    After looking at an anomy chart it’s in the back lung/liver/stomach area.
    At the time of the shot I was thinking broadside but he might have been slightly quartering too. If he was that would explain the partial lung hit.

My hopes of recovering any meat are dwindling fast.
    I just want to find him. By finding him I will get the answers to all the questions. Until then all I have is speculation.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Rough deal so far. Youll find him soon once that dog is back! waytogo

Justin riegel

After looking at an anomy chart it’s in the back lung/liver/stomach area.
    At the time of the shot I was thinking broadside but he might have been slightly quartering too.

They can live a long time on just a partial one lung/liver hit, but I have to imagine he expired at some point.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good luck buddy. Hope you find him.

Michael Best

After looking all day yesterday and most of today I am loosing hope fast now.
    My arms are trashed from walking through standing corn.
    I have a sneaky feeling he crossed the road and I have not been able to get permission to go in there. I have called the guy 6 times with no call back. I was able to get ahold of his dad but his dad told me I had to talk to his son.
    I don’t have a blood trail going in there so that will make it even harder to get permission.
    NE is a state that you have to have land owner permission to go in and retrieve game. A game warden can not force the issue either.
    I think I am down to hoping I see some bird activity.

Bow hunting is such a roller coaster of emotions. Right now I am at the very bottom.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s tough Micheal, hopefully things turn around for you.

Justin riegel

Yea that is a gut punch to start the season. It happens to all of us at some point.

The positive is it is only Sept 5th.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The question here is now, do you count that as a bagged deer or do you keep hunting?

I’ve personally never not recovered a deer I’ve shot, but I am only using a rifle too. So I’ve never had to consider this.

CaptainMusky

I have never not found a deer that I shot and I think that is a bit of a different situation than what I am going to say next, but when pheasant hunting if I cannot find a bird I consider that part of my limit. Its obviously different because the next day I could shoot more birds, but with deer hunting you’d be done.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Try to keep your head up. You did everything you could and then some. I have been in your shoes.

CaptainMusky

Try to keep your head up. You did everything you could and then some. I have been in your shoes.

Yeah he is certainly not giving up which is very good. I sure hope he finds it at some point if it died.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bummer Michael, but it happens to everyone if you do it long enough. Any tracking dogs down there?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bummer Michael, but it happens to everyone if you do it long enough. Any tracking dogs down there?

You must’ve missed half his post

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

You must’ve missed half his post

My bad, read it yesterday and forgot about that part when reading the update.

JEREMY
    BP

The question here is now, do you count that as a bagged deer or do you keep hunting?

Maybe it didnt die. Should he not hunt anymore this year? If he found it spoiled I would say hes done. If not its totally up to him and I dont think anyones opinion on what he decides to do should matter.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve personally never not recovered a deer I’ve shot, but I am only using a rifle too. So I’ve never had to consider this.

You have never missed? And if yes, how sure are you that you missed clean? I think you see where this is going.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s why I asked what others would do in this situation. No need to attack me on it.

Since its never happened to me, I don’t have any personal experience with it. If I don’t receover a wounded rooster, I don’t count it in my daily bag limit. I usually lose about 1/season. Losing a deer, especially a sizable buck, is different though. And it may also depend on the state. The OP is in Nebraska.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I wouldnt count it if I didn’t recover it. Especially if nebraska has a rule where even a CO cant go recover a deer on private if the landowner says no. Could you imagine if you shot a good one and it died 10ft off the public into private and theres nothing you could legally do to recover it? No way id count it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s why I asked what others would do in this situation. No need to attack me on it.

Wasn’t attacking you, just pointing out that you may have wounded one on what you thought was a miss and not realized it and kept hunting. Personally for me it would all depend on the circumstances and local laws.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Since its never happened to me, I don’t have any personal experience with it. If I don’t receover a wounded rooster, I don’t count it in my daily bag limit. I usually lose about 1/season. Losing a deer, especially a sizable buck, is different though. And it may also depend on the state. The OP is in Nebraska.

Pretty sure you’re required to count a lost bird towards your daily limit.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pretty sure you’re required to count a lost bird towards your daily limit.

If that’s the case, then I would certainly do it.

Is that the case with a lost deer too? You’d think it would be the same, wouldn’t it?

I could see how enforcement of something like this would be impossible. How does a LEO cite someone for not counting a crippled bird or wounded deer towards their bag limit? Its not like the hunter is gonna voluntarily tell them that. The LEO would have to see them actually cripple or wound the bird/animal, not recover it, and cite them for an over limit if they harvested another one.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.