2024 gardens

• CaptainMusky

People can be weird. My neighbor called me a few summers ago when I was at work and asked me if I gave someone permission to pick pears and apples cause a car parked on the side of the street and a guy walked in the yard and started picking them. He said when the guy seen him taking his picture he left.

What is wrong with people? I would never pluck fruits or whatever from someone else’s yard? That is almost like just walking in your house and taking crap from your fridge.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JEREMY wrote:</div>
    People can be weird. My neighbor called me a few summers ago when I was at work and asked me if I gave someone permission to pick pears and apples cause a car parked on the side of the street and a guy walked in the yard and started picking them. He said when the guy seen him taking his picture he left.

What is wrong with people? I would never pluck fruits or whatever from someone else’s yard? That is almost like just walking in your house and taking crap from your fridge.

I agree

deertracker

Everything is looking good on my end. Peppers are starting to grow a little better.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0257-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_0258-scaled.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Hey DT, you ever arrested that Mike Schulz guy! rotflol rotflol

smash smash doah sorry off topic chased

Netguy
    Minnetonka

That probably pissed my dad off too rather than having to pick up the pears on the ground before cutting the grass. If they asked he would tell them if they are ready for picking and let them pick a few. We always had plenty even after my mom and grandma canned many, many quarts.

This was in north Mpls (almost Brooklyn Center) in the 1960’s. There was one house on our block that had an apple tree. We would always ask if we could pick some. This was when my older brother and I were 7-9 years old. I guess our parents raised us right.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

July 12, 2024 at 3:58 pm#2280791
    Hey DT, you ever arrested that Mike Schulz guy! rotflol rotflol
    smash smash doah sorry off topic chased

I have always shared when folks ask, if not get out… Glenn settle down!!! jester jester

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Sevin. How often do you guys apply the spray? I think it says only once per 7 days and a maximum of 6 times per year. But the damn Japanese beetles are back after about 4-5 days.

JEREMY
    BP

Noticed them damn beetles on my apple trees yesterday afternoon.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looks like I need to can some banana peppers this week. My garden is going nuts. All this rain has been a blessing. Except mowing the lawn……

picklerick
    Central WI

Noticed them damn beetles on my apple trees yesterday afternoon.

Have you heard of Surround kaolin clay? It may be difficult with full sized fruit trees, but I’ve seen it work when sprayed on dwarf and semi dwarf trees to prevent insect damage to leaves and fruits. It works on squash plants, too. Trees will look pretty ugly covered in it, but I’ll be using it when I get fruit trees in the future.

JEREMY
    BP

Think I usually just spray them with 7 in the past and I believe it worked. Will find out in an hour when I get home. If its to hot for the girls to play baseball or I will find out tomorrow night.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Picked this Saturday. waytogo

Tomorrow I have some dill to pick and more cukes and green beans.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20240714_103054.jpg

Jimmy Jones

Think I usually just spray them with 7 in the past and I believe it worked. Will find out in an hour when I get home. If its to hot for the girls to play baseball or I will find out tomorrow night.

I mix Sevin about half again as strong as recommended and also put about a teaspoon of dawn detergent in it before shaking well before spraying. As for spraying frequency, I’ll go the ten days unless it rains between scheduled sprayings, then I’ll re-apply as soon as it’s dry and no more rain right away

picklerick
    Central WI

Nice early haul, Glenn. I’d pickle all of it.

JEREMY
    BP

Got a few tomatoes the deer knocked off and didn’t bite for once.

Attachments:
    1. 20240716_182426-scaled.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Just as my cukes were flowering a deer took off most of the leaves. flame

Attachments:
    1. Cukes-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

That sucks. Still plenty of time to plant another round from seed though.

JEREMY
    BP

Sure seems like the deer are eating more stuff that they used to leave alone.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That sucks. Still plenty of time to plant another round from seed though.

you sure???? i’d do it in a heartbeat!!!!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

I still don’t understand how you’re always weeks ahead of me when you’re a decent ways north of me. I’ve got two zucchini on three plants now and zero cucumbers on about 20 plants. Tons of flowers, so it should be a great year. I do have a bunch of peppers, but only the serrano have any heat to them so far. One truss of Super Sweet 100 tomatoes is just starting to turn color, otherwise my other 30+ tomato plants have only green ones and flowers. Yard long beans had a rough start, so I put the juice to them a couple times with fish emulsion and now they’re looking good. Hell, my marigolds haven’t even flowered yet. Should be any day now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I still don’t understand how you’re always weeks ahead of me when you’re a decent ways north of me. I’ve got two zucchini on three plants now and zero cucumbers on about 20 plants. Tons of flowers, so it should be a great year. I do have a bunch of peppers, but only the serrano have any heat to them so far. One truss of Super Sweet 100 tomatoes is just starting to turn color, otherwise my other 30+ tomato plants have only green ones and flowers. Yard long beans had a rough start, so I put the juice to them a couple times with fish emulsion and now they’re looking good. Hell, my marigolds haven’t even flowered yet. Should be any day now.

you talkin to me???

i put Miricle whip jars by my plants!!!!! devil woot rotflol rotflol rotflol

i’ll be picking some kalarabi today as well as carrots…..and making me a 2 gallon jug of sliced cukes!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

I knew there had to have been a deal with the devil involved. waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I knew there had to have been a deal with the devil involved. waytogo

waytogo rotflol rotflol

hey…you serious..its not to late to plant cukes from seed yet???/

picklerick
    Central WI

Marketmore and Straight 8 only need 50-75 days. My first frost date is 9/28. I’d reseed now if mine were struggling.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Marketmore and Straight 8 only need 50-75 days. My first frost date is 9/28. I’d reseed now if mine were struggling.

waytogo

picklerick
    Central WI

To you guys that have grown potatoes before, just how dead do you let the plants get before digging? This is my first try. They’ve been in the dirt 96 days as of today. Red Pontiac on the right look like they’re pretty close to me. Kennebec is on the left and was expected to take longer. Just about anything else I’ve grown is way better tasting than store bought, but can I expect to notice it with potatoes?

Attachments:
    1. taters071824-scaled.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

You can pick when the plant is dying. I would always pick mine when the plant was laying down on the ground. If the ground isn’t saturated you can leave them in the ground and pick when you need them. They will store longer in the ground then in your home as long as they don’t rot.

picklerick
    Central WI

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Some of the reds are laying over, but most are still upright. It should be soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.