2024 gardens

• Jimmy Jones

Rabbits down = 2, rabbits left I seen running around 3. I sit on my deck about 7-8pm when they like to show them self’s. .22 short puts them to sleep real quick.

That short period of twilight is great for rabbits. I’ve been liking the CCI quiet rounds. Rabbits do not like them. Got bunny in the freezer waiting on garbage day.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Jimmy clean them bad boys,cookem up……. tastes just like chicken!!!!! waytogo

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Jimmy clean them bad boys,cookem up……. tastes just like chicken!!!!! waytogo

yes good eats!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

took the old coffee cans off all the garden plants today, trimmed the really low branches on the maters and got the cages around all the maters!!! waytogo

some of them are getting really big……others not so much. doah thinkin to wet of ground, some look wilted??

on the bright side my lettuce and spinach is doing well and isnt getting bitter…thats when i pull it!!!!

green beans kinda sucks…..going to replant more seeds when the rain quits towards next week.

picklerick
    Central WI

Knock on wood, everything is doing well by me. I’m wondering if the lettuces are going to start bolting, but I did plant varieties that are slower to bolt, Buttercrunch and Prizehead. I’m hoping this will be my best year. I definitely put in a lot more work upfront this time and have a lot more variety out there. A couple Hungarian wax peppers showed up a couple days ago. Jalapeno are starting to flower. I’d say about 5% of my tomatoes have a flower or two now, most around 3′ tall. Potato plants must be 3-3.5′ tall and are flowering. It’s been about 60 days since I planted them. The Kennebec taters have white flowers and the Red Pontiac have purple flowers. I don’t know why that’s interesting to me. Potatoes are grown all over this area but I never realized how tall they were.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Checking in from central Wisconsin. Potatoes are looking really good and are getting flowered up. Pole beans are looking really good. Onions good. Dill good. Carrots good. Tomatoes so so. Cucumbers are not doing well. Had trouble getting them to sprout and when they did, they just aren’t putting on much growth. Beets came up good, but something ate a lot of the leaves. They are trying to make a comeback, but have a ways to go.

Ice Cap

I think a lot of gardens in our area are drowning. Been massive rains the last few weeks. Nothing gets a chance to dry out even a little. I have a container garden so I might stand a chance. Next time up at the lake I’m going to move the ones that can be moved under our shelter to give them a chance to dry out. That will be tomorrow but my neighbor up there says we got two more inches today. Might be too late already.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My tomatoes are going bonkers. As is everything else in my yard. Our mint patch is practically threatening our lives this year!

picklerick
    Central WI

I have about a dozen small wax and jalapeno peppers now. Bagged up the 4th and 5th gallon of leaf lettuce a few minutes ago. Since it’s been pretty cool and damp, I went out and buzzed the back of each tomato flower with an electric toothbrush this morning. That worked really well for me last year. Almost every flower turned into a tomato. I found some chewed up potato leaves and on nearby leaves found some nasty little potato beetle larvae munching away. Truly hideous looking things, like wet little Jabba the Hutts. I trimmed off that part and dropped it a ways from the garden. I sowed another round of carrots, basil, dill, red Russian kale, and rainbow chard on Sun. They’d all germinated by Thu morning. I’ve got a couple of 2×3′ spots where the lettuces are that will get replaced with something that grows quickly when the lettuce is done. I might try herbs and more carrots, but I may wait for it to cool down some and do mustard greens and peas.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

seems kinda crazy but last night i noticed my cukes were getting to look a bit wimpy, i scratched some dirt near by and it was somewhat dry. i mixed up some miracle grow in water and gave them a drink. this morning there lookin just fine again!! doah

picklerick
    Central WI

I had a similar issue here. Green beans, cukes and my first wave of tomato plants were looking good, but sort of pale and skinny for their height. I had started another tray of tomatoes about 4wks later and my wife put some in fabric pots and a spot by the house I thought was too shady. They’re all looking better than my two rows in the garden. Everyone got a nice drink of 3-3-2 AgroThrive general purpose fertilizer this morning and they should start taking off in the next couple of days.

JEREMY
    BP

Finally got down to my swamp of a pumpkin patch last night. Yuk. What didnt drowned and actually came up looked like cheese cloth cause the damn bugs got them. Replanted the small area that was dry enough. Probably to late anyway. No money from sweetcorn or pumpkins this year it seems. Damn.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think a lot of gardens in our area are drowning.

This is definitely the case for some of my stuff. The raised garden is doing well, but the potted plants are drowning. Any advice on drying them out? Add some sawdust or something? I’ve added some more drainage holes, but they are still muck.

picklerick
    Central WI

Potting mixes are designed to retain moisture and since there are already plants in it there’s not much you can do. Maybe full sun and some wind will let them dry out. If you have larger containers you’re not using, potting them into a new container with some fresh mix will help.

JEREMY
    BP

Put a good layer of Quikrete on top that will pull out some moisture.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I hope my maders do we.ll in the next 2 weeks! They are in my neighbors care.
    The first one is turingg red, might be just enough to pick Sunday evening! We hope.

Attachments:
    1. 20240628_154439-scaled.jpg

Ice Cap

My containers are holding up it seems. Still too much rain and the nights are still too cool to promote much growth things are S-L-O-W! Corn is only a couple inches tall. Cucumbers have been nearly the same size for two weeks but are starting to grow a bit now. Deer nipped the tops of some of my tomatoes and jalapeno’s but they are making a come back. I think we are just going to run out of summer to get much harvest this year.

Potato’s and onions seem to be fairing the best. Should get some harvest from them at least. Been a strange year all around. Started out in April the lake (reservoir) was so low I didn’t think I’d get the boat in this year. I could have put my 32′ dock in and the water would have still been 20′ away from the end of the dock. Then two weeks ago the dock was under water and I pulled the pontoon out. Just put it back in the other day. doah

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>
    I think a lot of gardens in our area are drowning.

This is definitely the case for some of my stuff. The raised garden is doing well, but the potted plants are drowning. Any advice on drying them out? Add some sawdust or something? I’ve added some more drainage holes, but they are still muck.

I have some things planted in five gallon buckets and this year I’m using some grow bags for the first time. Grow bags are doing better than the buckets. Grow bags leach more water and let air get in all around so it’s hard to over water but you do have to water them more.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Considering the weather it’s moving along. Pulled the lettuce and spinach today.

Attachments:
    1. 20240629_125136-scaled.jpg

Ice Cap

37 degrees here at 5:30 this morning on June 30. This is why we can’t have nice things up here.

Jimmy Jones

My gardens are growing great guns except the pepper plants. They have been too wet and not enough heat. We need to dry down some and get a few 90 degree days on things.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My gardens are growing great guns except the pepper plants. They have been too wet and not enough heat. We need to dry down some and get a few 90 degree days on things.

same here Jimmy. peppers look pretty lame…..but have a few green peppers on!!!!! small yet.

deertracker

So is that the issue with peppers? They don’t like being wet and need heat? Mine are not growing much.
    DT

glenn57
    cold spring mn

So is that the issue with peppers? They don’t like being wet and need heat? Mine are not growing much.
    DT

waytogo yes sir!!!!!!!

Jimmy Jones

You bet DT. I’m going to cut a 55 gallon plastic barrel in half, fill each half with a mix of potting soil and black dirt and plant my peppers in it next year. I’ll drill 1/4″ holes all over in the sides to help drain water.

Peppers really like heat too. My peppers last year with the drought and lots of high temps were the best I have ever had.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Finally was able to till my garden. Good black dirt was clumpy. Could barely see the veggies. Didn’t get it planted before the monsoons came. Don’t know how it will turn out. Probably have to hit some farmers’ markets.

Attachments:
    1. garden-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Found a small bunny inside the chicken wire for the 3rd time this morning. It snipped off all the foot tall sunflowers and left them lie there. Payback’s coming. I’ve never seen one inside the fence the last few years, but assumed that a small one could get in there. For some reason, this is the 1st one to go for it. Pellet gun is by the front door now.

CaptainMusky

I have picked a few green peppers already. Jalapenios are doing very well as are the tomatoes, but just not ready yet. I was surprised the peppers were that big already since we really havent had that much heat. Really love that I put them all in raised cedar beds on my deck. Much easier to work with.

JEREMY
    BP

Had 3 bunnies under the kids trampoline this morning when I was leaving for work. If they are there tonite they will be hurting.

picklerick
    Central WI

Pellet gun’s been unused for many months. Took a 25′ shot and it ran off into the bushes about 15′ away. It sure sounded like it thumped him good, so I set up a target and hit a 2″ spot from 50′. I think it’s taking a dirt nap now. I guess I’ll add some smaller hole chicken wire to that part of the fence soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.