2024 gardens

• picklerick
    Central WI

Asparagus beetles showed up a couple days ago. NEEM oil did absolutely nothing last year, so I started just knocking them into a cup of soapy water. I didn’t notice them until mid summer and they’d already had eggs and larvae all over. Anyone ever use Spinosad…Capt Jack’s Dead Bug Dust? I’m not sure I like the idea but I bought some last year and didn’t use it yet.

picklerick
    Central WI

Drowned about 100 beetles in soapy water and used a piece of paper to scrape off hundreds of eggs from the spears. Hopefully, the next wave of them won’t be as bad. I’m guessing we’ll get 4-5 hatches this year. Back is getting better. I was able to get my lettuces, beets and turnip starts in the garden and hilled up my potato beds.

Onthewater

Drowned about 100 beetles in soapy water and used a piece of paper to scrape off hundreds of eggs from the spears. Hopefully, the next wave of them won’t be as bad. I’m guessing we’ll get 4-5 hatches this year. Back is getting better. I was able to get my lettuces, beets and turnip starts in the garden and hilled up my potato beds.

The beetles will still be on it all year. When done eating it for the year get on a schedule of spraying it until fall and you shouldn’t have near the problem in the spring. Then start the spraying again next summer after you are done picking it. You won’t be worrying about eating the chemicals that way.

picklerick
    Central WI

What do you use? I’m trying to be as organic as I can be, which spinosad and Neem oil are. I just don’t think Neem did anything and spinosad kind of gave me pause when I read how the bacteria was discovered. Something seems off about that.

Attachments:
    1. spinosad.png

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

We made a bunch of planters from the old light fixtures at work when we went to florescent lights.

I like salsa Verde so I’m attempting to grow tomatillos.

Attachments:
    1. tomatillos-scaled.jpg

2. Light-fixture-pots-scaled.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Raspberry’s got a proper prune this late winter because it was so nice out, they are coming in better then ever, lots of jam in my future. Planted Strawberry’s last year so this year will be the first pickings, they have so many flowers right now with all the rain we had. Planted peas and Green Beans last week and they are about 1″ high right now. My cucs I started from seed died for some reason, so now thinking about cantaloupe now instead.

Ice Cap

We made a bunch of planters from the old light fixtures at work when we went to florescent lights.

I like salsa Verde so I’m attempting to grow tomatillos.

I hope you like a lot of salsa verde. I had two tomatillo plants last year and I had more tomatillos then I knew what to do with. I couldn’t find much use for them outside salsa verde. I like a good salsa verde myself. Also used some for tomatillo hot sauce.

picklerick
    Central WI

I got 33 tomato plants in the ground before we got 2.5″ rain on Sun. Also put up an arch type trellis and have pickling cucumbers on one side and yard long pole beans on the other side. It’s a little over 6.5″ high, so I’ll probably have to go around it if the plants get over the top since I’m 6′ 3″. Taters are growing like crazy.

Attachments:
    1. trellis-scaled.jpg

2. taters-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

20) six gallon grow bags for hot peppers are ready to get planted. Lettuces and snap peas are doing nicely.

Attachments:
    1. lettuces-and-snap-peas-scaled.jpg

2. tomatoes-and-pepper-bags-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

better pick up a couple cases of miracle whip when that stuff is ready to eat!!!!!! devil devil rotflol

lookin good bud…….i gotta start weeding mine!!!!!1

picklerick
    Central WI

Thanks, it was a lot of work. I’ve earned my week of fishing in Canada that starts this Sat. Next year, I think I’m going to mostly raised beds to reduce the amount of weeding. I might need a ladder to pick Amish Paste tomatoes, but my back will appreciate it. I have so much henbit, wild grape, and horsetail that creeps in from the sides underground that it’s a constant battle.

picklerick
    Central WI

Oh, and I started making my own mayo recently. It’s pretty easy. In one batch I used the brine from some pickled red onions I’d made, and that imparted a sweeter flavor than I usually care for in a mayo but it was really good.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Oh, and I started making my own mayo recently. It’s pretty easy. In one batch I used the brine from some pickled red onions I’d made, and that imparted a sweeter flavor than I usually care for in a mayo but it was really good.

So kind of like Miracle Whip then? chased rotflol

I may have over-bought started plants this weekend, but I’ll make due in my limited space and should have the best salsa year yet!

picklerick
    Central WI

I went overboard seed starting. I have thirty pepper plants to put out yet and still have about eighty tomato plants and not really any space left for them. A 72 cell tray that’s about 5″ tall and about a dozen in 4″ pots that are about 2′ tall. Wife’s going to sell them at a yard sale this weekend. Going to put the small ones in styrofoam cups today and probably charge $1-2 each or something. How much are they going for at the store nowadays?

picklerick
    Central WI

It did remind me a little of Miracle Whip, but it actually tasted good instead. I made a few turkey sandwiches with it, a chicken salad, then used the rest for a wicked batch of creamy garlic dressing.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It did remind me a little of Miracle Whip, but it actually tasted good instead.

rotflol jester rotflol I get a kick out of all the banter on this. I grew up on Miracle Whip, but only get Mayo now, except when at my parents place (the cabin). Had a ham sandwhich this weekend, and forgot how good MW can be… toast whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Then you crossed from Mayo to “salad dressing”, but it does sounds pretty good.

JEREMY
    BP

It needs to stop raining. Normally I have to do the rain dance to get my sweetcorn up. Now its been up a week and a half already but its gonna drown soon. Havent got to plant a single pumpkin yet and its gonna be a while. BIL sunk tracked bobcat trying just to mow around my pumpkin garden. In town my broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower look spectacular sure the deer will come around and screw that up. After at least 6 packs of zucchini seeds finally got my 10 plants to germinate. Tomatoes looking good after pretty bad sunburn from not getting hardened off enough. Next year I need to order all my seeds from Burpee at least they grow. Planted two packs each of Livingston spinach and radishes. Got like 5 radishes up and 1 spinach. 2 years ago planted my pumpkin garden with Livingston seeds at least 70ish plants and two came up. They sent me like 100 free packs of different pumpkin seeds and they all were up in a few days. Must have old seeds in the store. Planted a pack of NK broccoli got all cauliflower and 1 broccoli from the pack.

picklerick
    Central WI

I seem to recall it tasted like mayo with sugar in it while simultaneously touching your tongue to the terminals of a 9v battery. I grew up in a Hellman’s house, but a lot of friends and all of my relatives in KY had MW. I wouldn’t turn down a sandwich if someone made it with MW, but I was super disappointed when I moved here and realized almost all of the potato and macaroni salads at the grocery store deli are made with MW. I just make my own now because I don’t want my tater salad to be sweet. I don’t even like bread and butter pickles.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yummy…

Attachments:
    1. 20240602_101638-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Coming right along! waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20240602_102344-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Looking good Glenn!

Mine needs some sunshine.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol i dont get heartburn from them……..but i do gotta watch how many i eat in a day………..iffin yea know what i mean!!!!! whistling doah

JEREMY
    BP

Mine needs to dry out it was wet from Friday. My gauge on the garden post has 2.75″ since I dumped it this morning. Hope my dad didn’t get that much or my sweetcorn is as good as done for.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Mine needs to dry out it was wet from Friday. My gauge on the garden post has 2.75″ since I dumped it this morning. Hope my dad didn’t get that much or my sweetcorn is as good as done for.

ouch

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Mine needs some sunshine.

I need less rain. I should have planted after I tilled it in late April but thought that was too early. Never dried out real well since.

Another 60/100s overnight. That makes 8.05″ from the CoCoRaHS site that has a station 2 blocks from my house. I always track very closely with them. I may have to go in and plant anyway. I’d at least like to get some sweet corn and zucchini in.

Attachments:
    1. Garden-scaled.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

Since noon yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. 20240603_072546-scaled.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

Ya I can see the weeds in there its been to wet to do anything.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 380 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.