2024 gardens

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

when i used to grow taters…..the reds you could dig when they were flowering..then you’d get the little baby reds….wash boil and eat with a lb of butter!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Marketmore and Straight 8 only need 50-75 days. My first frost date is 9/28. I’d reseed now if mine were struggling.

bought a packet of striaght 8’s…..they’ll hit the dirt before sundown!!!!

we shall see…….i got lotz of uses for cukes!!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>picklerick wrote:</div>
    Marketmore and Straight 8 only need 50-75 days. My first frost date is 9/28. I’d reseed now if mine were struggling.

bought a packet of striaght 8’s…..they’ll hit the dirt before sundown!!!!

we shall see…….i got lotz of uses for cukes!!!!

You know what to do. Just a little more work to keep them from drying out this time of year, but I bet they’ll pop up in less than a week.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Looking like a bumper crop for carrots this year and onions look the best I’ve had in a while.

Attachments:
    1. 20240720_121448-scaled.jpg

deertracker

How do you know when to pull onions? Never done them before.
    DT

glenn57
    cold spring mn

How do you know when to pull onions? Never done them before.
    DT

first……if they have any seed pockets growing off the tops….pluck them off.

by this time of the year you shouldnt water them anymore……when they start laying down and the tops start drying up. i’m going to be pulling mine out in 2 weeks!!!! mime are starting to lay down now.

i try and write things down with my garden stuff, when i first picked what, when i pulled plants, etc……..the last 2 years my onions got pulled around july 21!

hope this helps!!!! waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Here are my onions, took the picture yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. 20240720_133044-scaled.jpg

Jimmy Jones

Rabbits mowed the tops off my carrots while we were in Alaska so I haven’t a clue what my yield will be this fall. My onions have begun to lay down with some of the bulbs showing as big as baseballs. Going to be a good onion crop again.

The cukes are putting out slicers now and we’ve cut some nice tomatoes. My pole beans will need picking maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Rabbits mowed the tops off my carrots while we were in Alaska so I haven’t a clue what my yield will be this fall. My onions have begun to lay down with some of the bulbs showing as big as baseballs. Going to be a good onion crop again.

The cukes are putting out slicers now and we’ve cut some nice tomatoes. My pole beans will need picking maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

i took my garden fence down saturday…and i’ve been watching close….no bunny damage yet…….as i got some tender green beans in progress!!!

Ice Cap

Here are my onions, took the picture yesterday.

I have read that if you cut the tops of the onions back before they fall over you will get bigger onions. Apparently when the tops fall over it signals the onion it is done growing. I’m trying it out this year and so far they are looking really good.

JEREMY
    BP

July 10, 2024 at 11:13 am#2280534
    I just picked a half dozen ears this morning for tonight. Our leaser’s crew is starting on the first planting tomorrow morning. It’s about 4 acres and usually sells out at the local store as fast as they can unload it
    You cannot buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear.

Was it any good havent heard any rave reviews?

picklerick
    Central WI

Looking like a bumper crop for carrots this year and onions look the best I’ve had in a while.

What variety of carrots did you grow? I planted Danvers and it’s been about 80 days since the seeds went in.

I know it’s only been a few days, but did those cukes pop up yet?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont really remember the variety…think they were danvers. all i know is they were a Livingston seed company. i’ve had decent luck with them the past 2 years.

i havent looked at those cuke seeds since yesterday…………..

glenn57
    cold spring mn

picklerick……no the cukes havent popped out of the ground yet.

sure could use a shot of rain though!!!!! whistling

JEREMY
    BP

Lots of cucumbers today and zucchini. Tomatoes slow.

Attachments:
    1. 20240723_191722-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I picked some cucumbers today too. First item from the garden this year. These are smaller than the ones last year.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3967.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The cuke seeds I planted last week are popping up today!

deertracker

My corn has been tasseling over the last few days. My tomato plants are super thick and my peppers seem like they are coming around.
    DT

glenn57
    cold spring mn

has anyone else picked any tomatoes yet????? i’ve picked 5, there small which isnt a big deal…………but 4 of them have had that blossom end rot!!!!! doah

that suppose to happen with inconsistent watering……but that hasnt happened with all the rain we’ve had.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have two tomatoes about ready to pick but both of them have black spots all over them. Ill just skin them and eat. All the other tomatoes look fine.

CaptainMusky

We have picked a few tomatoes but they have been just the cherry ones. The bigger ones arent ready yet. Picked some jalapenos and green peppers too.

picklerick
    Central WI

I forgot to take pictures, but each of my three zucchini plants gave up a nice one last night. I sliced the two biggest ones longways then sprayed them with duck fat, then salt and pepper, and a few minutes under the broiler. Served them topped with home canned tomato sauce from last year that I doctored up with hot Italian sausage, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.

Just a gripe. Wife and I were watching for two cherry tomatoes to be ready, so we could both try the first ones of the year. There was one that was perfect and the one next to it needed 2-3 more days. I go out there yesterday and the first one was gone. My neighbor and her boyfriend were out there with her 5yo cutting wood the night before. I could tell that my garden gate wasn’t closed correctly, so I’m assuming the kid went in there and ate it. flame

JEREMY
    BP

Hopefully he at least at it and not just bite it and spit it out.

picklerick
    Central WI

I’m sure he ate it. He’s a big fan of the Hungarian wax peppers, too. His mom is never going to get mother of the year award. They used to live right next door and he and his sister came over looking for something to eat all the time. Whenever we asked what they wanted they’d say anything but pizza because they have it almost every day.

JEREMY
    BP

Pizza everyday would get old but at least its something.

picklerick
    Central WI

I poked a finger into the red potato bed and hit one about an inch down. Uncovered a red potato about the size of a coffee cup. I covered it back up and decided we’ll dig up that container Sat morning. I think I’m going to put some fast growing cabbage variety in there. I saw some that only take 45-55 days from transplanting, so I would expect I have enough time left to grow them from seed.

CaptainMusky

OK I may be dumb, but I just found out yesterday that peanuts are gown in the ground! I thought they were on a tree and there are actually 2 variations we can grown in MN. That might be fun!

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I knew they are grown in the ground, Ask Jimmy Carter!! but can grow them in Minn… that is new to me too..

picklerick
    Central WI

Yep, peanuts aren’t tree nuts. They’re a legume like beans and not actually a nut at all. My uncle grew a lot of them right outside Chicago when I was a kid. If I recall correctly, it was the only thing in his garden.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.