2024 bear season…….

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo nice bear Waldo. great seeing success pictures!!!!

TH…….i think Emily Meats is one of few places that actually take the full carcass for processing. i know driving by during deer season there are alot of deer dropped off there.

i take my stuff to either Plantenbergs in Richmond or Mcdonalds meats in Clear Lake, they both process bear and deer but has to be deboned.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not in that area but in brahm bakkens takes full bear in to be fully processed as well.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Not in that area but in brahm bakkens takes full bear in to be fully processed as well.

meat processsing places that are taking full carcasses are getting to be far and few between. but some still do.

not sure what started all this? the CWD thing of just to darn busy ?????

Brian Stone

I’m new to bear hunting and hoping to make it up to MN in the next couple years. I’m in southern Indiana. I started saving points this year so it will prolly be a couple years to get in a zone with plenty of public land and bears from what I’ve read.

Is the No quota area super busy? I’m wondering if it would be worth making a trip next year. I have a good hunting buddy in Winona who can make trips to freshen the bait leading up to us setting up

Jimmy Jones

Lots of bear this year. The nephew and his son both got one opening morning.

TH

Brian,
    No quota is hit or miss. It’s not in the bear’s range or where the state thinks bears should be. I just had probably 10-15 different bears hitting my bait. You may get 1 or at best 2 in the non quota area. You may also not see a bear.

Bear hunting, if you want to be successful is not a week end ordeal. If you get bears coming, you need to bait every day. You also need to work on timing so they aren’t just coming at night and eating all your bait. You can’t possibly do this stuff with a 3 or more hour drive each way and be successful. In a good zone in MN it will take you 6-7 years to draw a tag. I think the baiting is the hunt, not the sitting in a tree and shooting a bear that walks by. Baiting is a lot of work and takes up 3 weeks of your time if you do it right. Sporadic bait placement will probably not get you a bear. It would be like hunting over my neighbors’s trash can. A bear might come in. If you can’t commit to 3 weeks of baiting, you need an outfitter. Also non resident baiting rules are different.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

TH pretty much hit the nail on the head!!!!!! waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is the No quota area super busy? I’m wondering if it would be worth making a trip next year. I have a good hunting buddy in Winona who can make trips to freshen the bait leading up to us setting up

I haven’t heard anything too negative, but it covers a huge area. If you are looking for large tracts of No Quota public land in bear country, you are looking at some massively long drives from Winona though. There are some No Quota guides, that would be the route I’d take if I were you.

TH

Let me also say baiting can get expensive. I was spending about $40 a day. I got bait from a bear bait retailer so about as cheap as you can get.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I wouldn’t exactly say that you need to necessarily bait every day/every other day, but it’s way more work than what most realize. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches of life (little kids and new house in my case) and bait when possible.

This year I was successful by baiting three days per week, and had I not killed the bear I did I would have had opportunities on two different bears at a different site the next day.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just curious…….. any reports of troublesome bear now season is closed, well pretty soon.

i’d like to feed the birds again up at the cabin!!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.