2024/2025 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• CaptainMusky

Sheesh that is as lopsided as it gets IMO

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought the Wild were attempting to trade back up in the first to take Anton Lundell?

JoeMX1825
    MN

and Montreal plays him, he finds his form back and they trade him for additional picks next season because they can retain 50%…

Ripjiggen

What a Laine trade…lol
    I’m confused on how that capspace is so important to Columbus? Who are they going to spend it on now?

Paying someone 50percent to play somewhere else doesn’t usually work out.

tswoboda

Maybe they want the cap space so they can play broker at the deadline and stockpile 4th and 5th round picks jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

and Montreal plays him, he finds his form back and they trade him for additional picks next season because they can retain 50%…

They’ll probably trade him to Vegas after Stone goes on LTIR after 3 games thus freeing up cap space.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    What a Laine trade…lol
    I’m confused on how that capspace is so important to Columbus? Who are they going to spend it on now?

Paying someone 50percent to play somewhere else doesn’t usually work out.

neither does including a 2nd rounder to get rid of him…

CaptainMusky

What am I missing here I thought there was no salary retained.

JoeMX1825
    MN

What am I missing here I thought there was no salary retained.

there wasn’t, he was just saying…

Ripjiggen

A 2nd round pick is not nearly as valuable as half a salary. Agree neither is ideal. You can easily absorb a second round pick.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This trade confirms everything I suspected about Laine. It’s only lopsided if you don’t consider how badly Columbus wanted him gone. The fact that they got him gone without eating salary was their screen door whacking him in the arse on the way out.

The Wild didn’t miss an opportunity. They dodged a bullet.

tswoboda

I don’t think anyone gave the impression that Laine on his current contract is anything more than a negative value asset, albeit one with potential. Montreal got him for basically nothing. Any trade proposal from Wild fans was involving eating half the cap hit and taking Freddy hockey… that’s less than nothing.

The fit in Montreal is really odd to me though with Cole Caufield already filling the exact role you’d expect Laine to be best in. Maybe they like Caufield so much they wanted the bigger, older, damaged goods version of him.

tswoboda

Edmonton let both Holloway and Broberg walk to St. Louis. Feels like Stan Bowman sending a message to his team, quite the first month back in the NHL for him.

Curious how this works out long term for St Louis. Hopefully plays out just like it did in Carolina with Kotkaniemi

CaptainMusky

Yeah I really dont understand that trade either.

tswoboda

Now I’m seeing St. Louis also gave Edmonton a 3rd and a mid/low prospect in addition to the 2nd round pick for not matching the Broberg offer sheet. Awesome entertainment value here

JoeMX1825
    MN

A 2nd round pick is not nearly as valuable as half a salary. Agree neither is ideal. You can easily absorb a second round pick.

IF Columbus spends that capspace is what I’m talking about…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t think anyone gave the impression that Laine on his current contract is anything more than a negative value asset, albeit one with potential. Montreal got him for basically nothing. Any trade proposal from Wild fans was involving eating half the cap hit and taking Freddy hockey… that’s less than nothing.

The fit in Montreal is really odd to me though with Cole Caufield already filling the exact role you’d expect Laine to be best in. Maybe they like Caufield so much they wanted the bigger, older, damaged goods version of him.

Montreal knows its still a few a years away from contending and has the capspace THIS season, I fully expect they flip him at the deadline or next year and come out of it with a 2nd rounder + other picks…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Now I’m seeing St. Louis also gave Edmonton a 3rd and a mid/low prospect in addition to the 2nd round pick for not matching the Broberg offer sheet. Awesome entertainment value here

yeah, wtf is that about? Gotta think that dances around some cba rule when everyone and their brother knows this is directly related to the offer sheets…

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

yeah, wtf is that about? Gotta think that dances around some cba rule when everyone and their brother knows this is directly related to the offer sheets…

Same as teams giving Vegas assets for taking/not taking certain players in the expansion draft. The only times Future Considerations actually turns out to mean something jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ryan Johansen put on waivers for termination by the Flyers…

for those who say teams cant get out of bad contracts…

tswoboda

There’s a lot going on with that Johansen contract. If players don’t report to the AHL team, the team can terminate the contract. After being traded last spring he was waived and buried in the minors by Philli but never reported. He later claimed to be injured even though he played every game for Colorado before the trade. Sounds like he’s claiming to be injured now as well.

tswoboda

LOL the 2022/2023 thread ended (last summer) with discussion about 3 number one centers being traded……… Kevin Hayes, Ryan Johansen, and Pierre Luc Dubois rotflol

JoeMX1825
    MN

LOL the 2022/2023 thread ended (last summer) with discussion about 3 number one centers being traded……… Kevin Hayes, Ryan Johansen, and Pierre Luc Dubois rotflol

You can probably say that about 2-3 named players every season… PLD still has the talent, just nothing upstairs… the other 2 are big bodies and when they lose a step, they become pylons… That’s the scary part signing former 1C’s when they get up there in age, they can fall off a cliff at any time…

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s a lot going on with that Johansen contract. If players don’t report to the AHL team, the team can terminate the contract. After being traded last spring he was waived and buried in the minors by Philli but never reported. He later claimed to be injured even though he played every game for Colorado before the trade. Sounds like he’s claiming to be injured now as well.

Yeah, its gonna get ugly, turns out his agent is the same as Cutter Gauthier’s…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Interesting McGroarty for Yager trade…both #14 overall draft picks and good players, seems like Penguins just wanted the bigger frame player…Jets did well too…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild ranked #10 in Corey Proman’s annual Under 23 years old organization prospect ranking…. Boldy graduated out, Buium obviously the key addition….

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Wild ranked #10 in Corey Proman’s annual Under 23 years old organization prospect ranking…. Boldy graduated out, Buium obviously the key addition….

It’s good, but it struck me that 25% of the list consists of Rossi, Marat, and Faber. All of whom are already roster players.

So is it mission accomplished for the prospect pool? Or is the A grade talent in the pool graduating out fast? Buium obvious bolsters the GPA for this year, but grabbing a player like that at the position the wild got him at in the draft is catching lightning in a bottle. Very hard to do a second time.

For this season’s Wild not to be a repeat of last season’s Wild, I feel like the wild need a player to show up big-big like Faber did last season. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of confidence that that’s going to come from the middle of the lineup guys that everybody was talking about last year. I just don’t see JoJo, Freddy and the rest of the gang significantly upping their game.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Next season will be the answer if the fabled prospect pool lives upto the hype… This season will tell if they take advantage of opportunity and push out the older guys or not…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I feel Yurov is the Wildcard prospect that either turns this prospect pool into a home-run or just a good group of players (excluding Buium who I think will be an instant impact player in his own)

Will he turn his record breaking KHL production into NHL stardom like Kirill did or phase out like other Russians and be a KHL lifer?

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.