2024/2025 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Starting to think the real reason no one uses offer sheets is because they never really work out for either team involved, only the player.

Yeah, the limited track record isn’t very good…The stigma of being “the guy who poaches players” in the exclusive 32 member GM club has kept the offer sheet incident rate low, but I think we’ll start to see more GMs do it as the need to win now increases vs waiting for that 1st/2nd/3rd round draft pick cost to hopefully turn into somebody in 2-3 years… I love how the Blues offered the max to the dollar offers limiting the return to a 2nd and 3rd round pick cost… Its reported both Oiler players already signed the offer sheets…

If another team offer sheeted Rossi (if he’s offer-sheetable?) at $5avv for 2 years, GMBG would be screwed and forced to give away GusBus and demote Jojo just to match…

tswoboda

The only one I can think of that worked out for a team is Sebastian Aho with Carolina, because it was such an easy match. The Kotkaniemi offer sheet was a disaster for both teams, worked out great for the player though! I really can’t think of a single example where an offer sheet helped the team poaching the player… so maybe that’s the reason for not doing it rather than being scared of pising off their buddies.

Rossi is under contract ??

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rossi is under contract ??

yeah, I forgot he signed a year later than Lundell, Perfetti and others from his draft class…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Crazy that the Blues had to trade back with the Penguins today and re-acquire their own 2nd round pick in order to meet the offer sheet rules (you can only deal your OWN draft picks if the offer sheet is accepted)

JoeMX1825
    MN

Austin Mathews named Captain of the Leafs today, Tavaras handed it over, could we see a similar move with the Wild and Faber or Kaprizov in the next year or so? I don’t see how Spurgeon re-signs here after his contract is up…

Ripjiggen

The patch is over rated.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ryan Getzlaf hired by NHL Player Safety today, so they finally get a skilled players perspective on suspension decision making…

CaptainMusky

Very interesting article by Sean Gentille in the Athletic about the Lawsuit against the NCAA for the ban on players who played in the CHL. Will be interesting to see where this goes because it could certainly benefit some NCAA schools and hurt programs like the USHL.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Very interesting article by Sean Gentille in the Athletic about the Lawsuit against the NCAA for the ban on players who played in the CHL. Will be interesting to see where this goes because it could certainly benefit some NCAA schools and hurt programs like the USHL.

The NCAA is all about money, any rules that somehow negatively impact revenue in any manner will be removed…

CaptainMusky

Imagine if Celebrini would have played in the CHL instead of playing for Boston. Well for one he wouldnt have won the Hobey LOL, but he specifically didnt play for the CHL because he knew he would be banned and couldnt play in NCAA. I dont think it affected his development or anything like that its just I think he got more eyes on him playing in the NCAA than the CHL at least for US hockey fans.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dare I say the kids going to the NCAA want the free education? )

CaptainMusky

Exactly even if its only for a free year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Exactly even if its only for a free year.

if you’re the type of player who can leave early, a College degree isn’t likely high on your priority list… college will always be there after your career is over…

I just think the NCAA has become a much higher quality stepping stone to the NHL vs the CHL and it allows the better players to basically negotiate eliminating 1 year off their ELC by signing at the end of the season, they also have the 4 year UFA card to pull if they are a late bloomer…Not sure if NIL is any factor right now, but i’d imagine it will keep getting bigger and bigger, especially at the big schools…outside of the generational players like a Bedard/McKenna/Crosby I doubt the CHL players get any endorsement deals at that age…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Did anyone listen to GMBG on kfan this afternoon? I made a note to listen but got pulled into other things…

CaptainMusky

Did anyone listen to GMBG on kfan this afternoon? I made a note to listen but got pulled into other things…

No I did not.

Ripjiggen

rotflol

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0744.jpeg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Found a recording of it, same old same old

CaptainMusky

Apparently KK97 is having trouble getting over here. Great.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought it was trying to get into Switzerland to attend Zuccy’s charity game? They don’t let Russians in due to the war…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I found some info on that. Looks like he’s able to get to Norway via Sweden to play in a charity game for Zucarello and doesn’t intend to go back into Russia for fear of not making it back out of there.

You have to wonder why they even let him go back into Russia to begin with given how difficult it is to leave.

Apparently it won’t let me post the link…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wild story by @IDAMV about how Kaprizov will play in the Zuccarello ASG on Saturday if you slip the attached into Google translate. Kirill Kaprizov can’t simply fly into Norway without a special permit due to Russia’s invasion into Ukraine. After much work behind the scenes, Kaprizov will fly from Moscow to Istanbul to Gothenburg, then helicopter to Lillehammer.

Kaprizov got a Swedish visa when the #mnwild played in the Global Series in Sweden last November. That visa is good for a year, so he’s able to fly to Norway via Sweden. The story says Zuccarello’s team has permission in writing that Kaprizov can fly into Norway this way.

CaptainMusky

Yeah it was one of those fan accounts that I dont really trust that popped up somewhere that said it was coming here. FIgures.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Moscow to Istanbul to Gothenberg to Lillehammer. Then back to the United States (hopefully). That is a lot of air time.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Interesting how Nashville handled Yaroslav Askarov since drafting him #11 overall in the 2020 draft. It was basically Wallstedt and Askarov 1-2, 2-1 the past 4 years in terms of who’s the best young goalie prospect in the world…

I’m not faulting them for how they handled him, but you draft a goalie that high and then a few years later extend your 5’10” 29 year old starter another 8 years, you kinda wonder what was the original plan when they drafted him? especially when looking at who else was available to draft at #11.

Now that Askarov has demanded a trade and won’t show up for training camp, it will be interesting to see if they can recoup that draft capital back… I guess they tried to trade him the last 2 years at the draft to move up in the 1st round but got no takers…

CaptainMusky

Yeah I think this will bite askarov and not the Preds. I doubt Saros finishes that contract.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah I think this will bite askarov and not the Preds. I doubt Saros finishes that contract.

I think Nashville will ultimately be the losers.. of course alot depends on what return they get back vs #11 from that really good draft class…

Saros has been really good sofar though..

tswoboda

Can’t blame Nashville for committing to the goalie they know is good and in his prime right now over the goalie who might be good one day. They made some big moves this summer to compete now, and that goes in the trash without Saros

Didn’t the Wild almost trade up to pick Askarov? I remember a deal falling through with Boldy and Florida so maybe it was someone else they were taking

tswoboda

Laine + a 2nd to Montreal for a bottom pair D I’ve never heard of. No salary retention, Wild never had a chance

JoeMX1825
    MN

What a Laine trade…lol
    I’m confused on how that capspace is so important to Columbus? Who are they going to spend it on now?

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.