2024/2025 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Maybe worked out for the best that Freddy didn’t get traded to Columbus though, right. Pretty much zero percent chance of that happening now

Huh?

His name probably shouldn’t be on a Bluejackets sweater right now

JoeMX1825
    MN

His name probably shouldn’t be on a Bluejackets sweater right now

gotcha, didn’t think of that…

Ripjiggen

I didn’t really want Laine. The fact he had no desire to come to MN is the bigger issue at hand. IMO

tswoboda

CBJ let other teams talk to Laine’s agent so it’s weird if they got as far as agreeing on a deal, knowing that Laine didn’t want to come to MN. Completely agree you don’t want him if he doesn’t want to be here. Certainly don’t hold it against him though either

JoeMX1825
    MN

Certainly don’t hold it against him though either

I don’t either, although he could have been given 2 trade scenario’s and he simply chose Montreal instead of the Wild (maybe he had both teams on his no-trade list?) He basically has this season to reclaim his career otherwise he’ll likely get cap-dumped to one of the worst teams his final contract year, so I guess he see’s his best chance to score is in Montreal? Puzzling…

That media market is going to eat him alive if he struggles early on and he’s likely going to get minimal PP time (where he shines) as his shooting spot on the boards Caufield already has locked up…

CaptainMusky

OMG these are ridiculous but funny as heck.

Ice Cap

I didn’t really want Laine. The fact he had no desire to come to MN is the bigger issue at hand. IMO

First Phil Kessel now Laine say thanks but no thanks to the Wild. I’d like to know how many players have the Wild on their no go list and why. If you turn down the Wild and go to Montreal it can’t be the weather. Is this going to be problematic for the Wild in the future when Billy can throw money around trying to attract players?

Tom schmitt

For whatever reason that has always been the issue with the Wild. I think that was one of the reasons they overpaid Parise and Suter. Thinking they would be able to draw talent to sign.
    Worked out in the opposite.

CaptainMusky

They didn’t overpay suter and Parise. They took less money to come here they were each offered more elsewhere but they wanted to play together.

Tom schmitt

Just because they took less money to play here doesn’t mean we didn’t overpay.
    IMO they should have been offered a 6-8 year deal.

Ripjiggen

Not how deals worked for FA then.
    They were offered more and for same term elsewhere. They were not signing for 6-8 years anywhere.
    Just wait we will have to overpay again for a legit FA when/if that time comes.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

When was the last time a upper level free agent(in any major sport) wasn’t overpaid?

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom schmitt wrote:</div>

When was the last time a upper level free agent(in any major sport) wasn’t overpaid?

Of course… it’s a full league bidding war for said player, the price only goes higher when there’s multiple team interest…it’s rare for high impact players to hit UFA (teams almost always trade them away before they hit UFA status so they get some asset return back) John Tavares is probably the most recent NHL one I can think of and his goal was always to play for his hometown team (Leafs) There’s still bad blood with Islanders fans he didn’t allow them to get any assets back…Tavares gave up an extra contract year to wait and sign with the Leafs…

It seems like the current trend is for young high impact players who don’t want to continue playing for the team that drafted them to pressure a trade/sign & trade to the team they want to go to in their final 1-2 years of RFA status and then sign long term with that team…

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s a rumor that Toronto wants Jake Middleton and is offering Nick Robertson, Tim Liljegren and a 2027 4th round pick.

obviously this trade makes zero sense for the Wild, but it does bring up the question of what the Wild will do NEXT season when Zeev Buium is potentially ready to command top 4 minutes and then you have Jake Middleton making $4.3 million for the next 3 years as a 3rd pair defenseman? I realize that’s a big assumption on Buium, but I don’t think its out of the question that he’s that good, that quickly and Middleton has a NMC starting next season, Brodin’s NMC expires next season…

so the timing will likely force somebody on our D core 4 to get traded sometime this season or the upcoming offseason… Would you rather keep Brodin or Middleton?

AnotherFisherman

I’d rather keep Brodin 10 out of 10 times. Nothing against Middleton, but Brodin is the man!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

First Phil Kessel now Laine say thanks but no thanks to the Wild. I’d like to know how many players have the Wild on their no go list and why. If you turn down the Wild and go to Montreal it can’t be the weather. Is this going to be problematic for the Wild in the future when Billy can throw money around trying to attract players?

I doubt it, but still TBD. People forget pre-Parise/Sutter no one was coming to the Wild in FA. Now I feel like MN is looked at as a much better landing spot between a competent organization, former players talking about MN positively, all the NHLers who live here, Da Beauty League, and just overall hockey culture. Of course we won’t know for sure until they have money to spend in FA, after they are done paying Parise and Sutter. But it sure feels like the perception has gone from Siberia to a destination.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Other than their 1 miracle WCF run, what had the Wild franchise done in their first 14? Seasons before Parise and Suter signed? Why would any player deemed desirable in UFA want to come here?

You need to either have pedigree, a glutton of young star players/prospects, some financial incentive (no state income tax) or be a desirable city/location like Vegas to get the UFA star’s attention…

or you build your team and go win a cup and earn a reputation as a winner, that’s the goal right now… any thinking that players want to come here because we’re “The State of Hockey” is just a sales marketing victim…

Ripjiggen

or you build your team and go win a cup and earn a reputation as a winner, that’s the goal right now… any thinking that players want to come here because we’re “The State of Hockey” is just a sales marketing victim…

Agree.

Can we at least sign Zeev before we slot him into the top 4. jester

Doesn’t matter if Middleton is top four or six if you are paying Zeev on his rookie contract. What’s the difference?

I think there is almost zero chance they are moving Middleton before the season starts.

If they are out of the race by the deadline then any and everyone that can should be considered in a trade.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Agree.

Can we at least sign Zeev before we slot him into the top 4. jester

Doesn’t matter if Middleton is top four or six if you are paying Zeev on his rookie contract. What’s the difference?

I think there is almost zero chance they are moving Middleton before the season starts.

If they are out of the race by the deadline then any and everyone that can should be considered in a trade.

I meant Middleton could get moved sometime this season (most likely at the deadline if we’re out of the playoffs) as he doesn’t have any trade protection until next season…

The difference is about $3 million in cap savings that could be allocated elsewhere on the team…

I know you know how good Buium is… pencil him in now for the April games…

yes they could slow play Buium on the 3rd pair, but then they run into Middleton’s NTC full & limited years…

Ripjiggen

I hear ya just meant Zeev on his rookie contract gives you that luxury to still pay Middleton in 4th or 5th spot. At his current salary.

As much as I love Brodin you would fetch more in return and have similar skill set like him in your top 4.

Currently it is a good problem to have and one that will work itself out I believe.

JoeMX1825
    MN

As much as I love Brodin you would fetch more in return and have similar skill set like him in your top 4.

Good point, he’s been injury prone the last few years as well (not his fault, just bad luck, but it keeps following him)

Ripjiggen

But selfishly love watching him skate.

tswoboda

Maybe wait to see how the 35 year old mini captain comes back from multiple surgeries before trading the rest of D because of an 18 year old prospect coffee

The “where’s he going to fit” problem running rampant again… Poor Wild always stuck with too many good players

Ripjiggen

I was trying to play along this time. jester

tswoboda

Can’t wait for the next Wild trade rumor posted on legitnhltraderumorsinsider-dot-ca

jester

CaptainMusky

Can’t wait for the next Wild trade rumor posted on legitnhltraderumorsinsider-dot-ca

I bet Joe is behind that account.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Maybe wait to see how the 35 year old mini captain comes back from multiple surgeries before trading the rest of D because of an 18 year old prospect coffee

The “where’s he going to fit” problem running rampant again… Poor Wild always stuck with too many good players

Trading the rest of the D?

I’m merely discussing what the options are next season when you’ll have 5 Defenseman who likely should be playing top 4 minutes (I agree Buium is still an unknown NHL top4, but come on…) 3 of them for sure won’t be traded (Spurgeon, Faber and Buium) Brodin is so good you don’t want to trade him but he’ll be unprotected and Middleton’s NMC kicks in…

Nothing will happen this season until the deadline if we’re out of it, but GMBG will have a decision to make for sure…yes, its a good problem to have…

Viewing 30 posts - 331 through 360 (of 392 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.