2023 Vikings

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Maybe we can make the playoffs with good grades ? doah

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Maybe we can make the playoffs with good grades ? doah

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

i’d be willing to bet 95% of the pro players never graduated from college!!!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Maybe we can make the playoffs with good grades ?

That’s funny…and sad…hey big matchup with Bowling Green this afternoon!

JEREMY
    BP

That ball may have slipped out of his hand but still went where he wanted it to go just short. Was gonna fail either way. JJ was open to the right corner of endzone but didnt even try to lead him there.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

TJ Hockenson is done for the season, ACL & MCL
    That was kind of a cheap shot on the knees.

It’s late in the season he will probably be out early next year as well

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

TJ Hockenson is done for the season, ACL & MCL
    That was kind of a cheap shot on the knees.

It’s late in the season he will probably be out early next year as well

I think it is an unwritten rule for Defensive players not to try and make that hit. It is a rarity in today’s football. I doubt the guy had malice of forethought and just reacted. It is a cheap shot intentional or not; he should be fined. Blowing up someone’s knee is a big deal. I had hope for the Vkes as long as Hock was on the field. Hock is the key to the Offense in my estimation. The one player they couldn’t afford to lose. I favor the Pack to win this week. What a disaster!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Time to see what we have in Hall. Time to see if he should come into the next season with the Vikings as back up or not.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brittman wrote:</div>
    JJ let it be known who he wants at QB next year.

He’s openly stated that his new contract will be affected by the QB that is throwing to him. He wants stability at that position.

I think its very possible that if they don’t re-sign Cousins, you can say goodbye to JJ as well.

A person can hope and dream. Maybe they’ll trade Jefferson for a Gobert type draft pick haul. Then the GM can trade those 5 first round picks for 50 4th and 5th round picks. They’ll truly be setup for the long haul that way.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

i’d be willing to bet 95% of the pro players never graduated from college!!!

I bet they did. But that’s not saying they could score real high on a standard IQ test.

JEREMY
    BP

You bet they did cause they knew Jan Gangelhoff?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Theres only a couple of us here old enough to know who that is.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m one of them. I think there are many Jan Gangelhoff at most football universities.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A person can hope and dream. Maybe they’ll trade Jefferson for a Gobert type draft pick haul. Then the GM can trade those 5 first round picks for 50 4th and 5th round picks. They’ll truly be setup for the long haul that way.

I hope not. Just because you have draft picks doesn’t mean they will pan out. And more likely than not, more of them won’t than will based on historical data.

Its probably going to come down to this: Cousins and JJ, or Hunter. There just isn’t enough money in the cap to sign all three. Hunter is having a spectacular season, but he’s the most expendable of those three.

JEREMY
    BP

And will never forget if you were a gophs basketball fan.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its probably going to come down to this: Cousins and JJ, or Hunter. There just isn’t enough money in the cap to sign all three. Hunter is having a spectacular season, but he’s the most expendable of those three.

I’m just not sure how much there is left in Cousins tank. He will be 36 entering next years season, he will be Coming off a Fairly bad injury, he was not real mobile to begin with. I guess if he’s willing to sign at a much lower contract, its worth a shot. There is no way they should sign him to more than a 2 year contract. I just think his best days are behind him at this point. If JJ really wants Cousins being the QB passing him the ball, he should also be willing to sign for a little bit less to give them more Money for Cousins.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I just hope they don’t bring in Russell… coffee

tswoboda

Kirk is getting the Ohtani contract and I won’t even be mad about it

10 years $700 million guaranteed, who says no?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I’m just not sure how much there is left in Cousins tank. He will be 36 entering next years season, he will be Coming off a Fairly bad injury, he was not real mobile to begin with. I guess if he’s willing to sign at a much lower contract, its worth a shot. There is no way they should sign him to more than a 2 year contract. I just think his best days are behind him at this point. If JJ really wants Cousins being the QB passing him the ball, he should also be willing to sign for a little bit less to give them more Money for Cousins.

Seriously? Jefferson damn near got killed with those balls Mullins was throwing. Lets say you are Cousins. You are watching the same quarterbacks he is. Any reason to think any of these guys can take his job? He would be thinking hell no, these guys would have never seen the field if I hadn’t gotten hurt.

There isn’t one reason in the world to take a nickel less then fair market value. The Vikings will pay & Jefferson will wait until they do. To be honest he shouldn’t step on the field the rest of the year. He has nothing to prove and can only get blown up by a defender on a poorly thrown ball.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

At this point the Vikings are like a sick animal that needs to be put out of its misery. Can’t believe some of you were still drinking the purple koolaid on Christmas Eve of all days. rotflol

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

They just need to sneak into the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle. Call up Brady.

Joe

Jaren Hall announced as starting qb for Sunday’s game.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Glad to see they are going with Hall, hopefully he shows something.

Seriously? Jefferson damn near got killed with those balls Mullins was throwing. Lets say you are Cousins. You are watching the same quarterbacks he is. Any reason to think any of these guys can take his job? He would be thinking hell no, these guys would have never seen the field if I hadn’t gotten hurt.

There isn’t one reason in the world to take a nickel less then fair market value. The Vikings will pay & Jefferson will wait until they do. To be honest he shouldn’t step on the field the rest of the year. He has nothing to prove and can only get blown up by a defender on a poorly thrown ball.

Kirk left JJ out to dry dozens of times too, comes with the territory of being a #1 WR that goes across the middle. Kirk already won at the business of football, if he wants to elevate his chances of a playoff run and his status among Vikings fans, he will take a 3-4 year deal, mostly guaranteed at $30-40M per year. If Kirk wants the $40M+ he has earned in the current QB market, he can do so elsewhere imo.

While I want the Vikings to trade JJ for a Tyreek Hill type deal, I doubt that happens, and he will reset the WR market at $30M+ per year here. Hunter is the real question mark as he is on the backside of his career age-wise, but obviously having a monster year. Plus the Bears signed Montez Sweat to a 4 year $98M ($62M guaranteed) contract and Sweat’s best year is comparable to Hunter’s worst. So expect Hunter to get mid-$20M/per, just a matter of how much guaranteed and how long the deal is for. Given his history I expect him to go to the highest bidder, and secure one last huge contract. He’s made $94M thus far, and will likely double that on this next deal, unless he really wants to stay here and take a slight discount.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for saying this but I’d argue that JJ is the third highest priority in terms of actual team value for the Vikes to sign. Kirk is by far the best QB they will be able to get over the next 2 years. Hunter is probably the most valuable because of how important he is to a defensive line that isn’t the same without him. JJ is probably the #2 receiver in the league (yes, Tyreek is better than JJ), but the receiving corp with Addison, Hock, KJ is pretty good, even without JJ.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The case for Tyreek Hill being better than JJ is legit. He is in the running for mvp this season which is rare as a receiver.

The issue is that Kirk and JJ are kind of a package deal. If you sign Kirk, JJ stays. If you don’t sign Kirk, JJ leaves. It’s either both, or Hunter.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I agree Gim. I’m just saying that I think because of Hunter’s position he is more valuable than JJ in team value. I’d rather lose Hunter than JJ or Kirk though.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If the Vikings sign Cousins to the deal some here think he is worth, and Sign JJ to the contract Everyone knows he’s worth, The Vikings will be no better off next year than they were this year. They will still have a weak O-line, Still have a average RB at Best, and most likely be without their top Def. player. Without a improved O-line, and a weak Run game, Cousins stands a good chance of once again getting hurt. JJ will have poor backup Qb’s throwing him the ball, He will possibly get hurt, Then we will be right back where they have been most of this season. I have came around on how good of a QB Cousins is. I just think his best years are behind him and he is not the piece that going to take this team to the next level.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The offensive line has actually been a top ten ranked pass blocking line this season. Part of the reason Cousins was having a career year. Honestly if Cousins comes back the same player, the defense doesn’t drop by much, and the O line plays the way they are this year, I think it’s pretty easy to think they could do some damage in the playoffs.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

And if Cousins isn’t the direction they go, that creates the problem of JJ having a rookie/backup talent QB throwing him the ball during the prime of his career. Good luck with that working out well. As for the RB situation, that doesn’t bother me at all. You can take a guy out of a walmart and put him in at RB and he can be a star for a season. It’s happened plenty of times.

It’s a tough decision for sure which direction they go. Maybe not even a good direction to choose. I’ll take my chances on watching a good team with Cousins (and hopefully a B.Flo defense) than losing JJ and watching another top round draft pick fail here.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m pretty unbiased as a non-Viking fan. With that said I’d lean towards Mahto’s thought process.

Sure, Cousins is coming off injury and isn’t getting younger…but he’s a top 10 QB in the league. Those guys don’t come cheap, nor are they often traded or found in a draft.

If the Vikings want to keep JJ long term, they probably can’t afford to NOT resign Cousins to a 2 or 3 year deal while they spend draft collateral on his hopeful replacement during that timeframe as well.

A lot of people think they should sign Cousins to a “cheap 2 year deal.” Good luck. Look at what the top 15 QBs in the league are paid. I’m thinking 2 years, 40 million per is probably the absolute lowest number to budget for.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2739.png

Tlazer

The problem always comes down to money. Cousins is worth more than $40M/year especially when looking at what Jones signed for last year. JJ I would think would be the top paid, since each time another franchise player sign’s it usually always for more money. So I would think that puts JJ at about $30M/year. That’s a lot of money for only 2 players, and if there isn’t money to sign any other players is the roster good enough to make a run in the playoffs? Wasn’t Hunter hurt and not playing the whole season the past couple of years, so it’s always scary when they have a pro-bowl year on a contract year. Can you depend on him to continue to play at that level? Seen a lot of times after they get their big contract play drops especially for older players that are playing for their last big contract.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,591 through 1,620 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.