2023 Vikings

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Caleb Williams, Bo Nix, Drake Maye, and Riley Leonard are all guys that seem like they’d be worth taking a shot on. Even if only 1 of them from the class pan out to be a top 15 qb in the league it’s worth the 1 in 4 shot.
    It’s so tough to win in the NFL without at least an above average qb.

Don’t they already have an above average QB?

San Fran wasn’t in win now mode until recently. 2014-2019 they were terrible. Drafted d linemen just about every first round. Kind of have to be in win now mode when you give up as much 1st round capital as they did to draft a QB.

They’ve been in the conference championship game 6 of the last 12 years and are probably the odds on favorites to return for their 7th in 13 years. I think they might be doing “ok” and sure seem to never have let winning get too far from the current regime’s plan.

Point being, San Fran took a shot at QB and missed and didn’t let it slow them down. I don’t see why any of the teams in the league without a Top 15 QB or so wouldn’t be firing away in most drafts, and definitely at the upcoming class.

If I’m the Vikings I keep Kirk – he isn’t the issue. However, I’d start coming up with my “next plan” sooner or later. If they miss the playoffs or are an early exit again as assembled…throwing a dart into a loaded draft class at QB might not hurt. Even if they miss, they’re in the perfect spot to still win in the putrid NFC North

Ripjiggen

It didn’t slow them down because they got extremely lucky with Purdy.
    I mean literally every team passed on him at every pick.

The new regime started in 2017 and have 3 top ten picks with 2 in the top 3 of the draft.
    That’s not including Lance.

I don’t disagree if you don’t have a top 15 QB you should be drafting one somewhere in the draft.

That is not the Vikings case currently however.

Throwing a dart is one thing moving up and giving up multiple first for several years and missing can and will set you back for years. And most likely gets you fired if it doesn’t work out.

I am not even saying I am against them doing this but usually you have to bottom out first. Or drafting in the top half of the draft.

The vikes are much less complete team than the 49ers were when they pushed their chips in for a qb.
    Mostly because the vikes have not bottomed out like the 49ers did pre current regime and current regime where they were terrible for 4 years in a row when there highest win total being 6 wins in those four years.

CaptainMusky

Does Akers move the needle for anyone? I dont pay much attention to fantasy so dont know much about him.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its good to see the Vikings at least trying to improve this team. The signings of both Akers and Risner is a sign they are aware that they need lots of help in the running Game. I just don’t know how the Vikings went into the off season Knowing that they were weak at Best on the o-line. Even if the whole O=line would stay healthy ( which is almost impossible ) they were going to be near the bottom of the league. Then did almost nothing in the off season to address it. Add in the fact that they were going to have a lesser quality RB running behind them and it was a setup for a poor season. I’m not sure the two new signings is enough to make a huge difference, but its a start in the right direction.

Ripjiggen

Does Akers move the needle for anyone? I dont pay much attention to fantasy so dont know much about him.

Well he was healthy scratched last week and then for a month last season for a team that finished 5-12.
    So no doesn’t move the needle for me.

CaptainMusky

I think the reason he was scratched is he was in McVays doghouse because of something regarding McVays wife.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think the reason he was scratched is he was in McVays doghouse because of something regarding McVays wife

Not sure if it had anything to do with Mcvays wife or not. But he was indeed in Mcvays doghouse. Sometimes a coach and a player just don’t get along. Often a move to a new team is just what a player needs to jumpstart his career. Hope this is one of those situations.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cam Akers does nothing for me, which is fine because we literally gave up nothing for him. The problem with the run game is the OL’s run blocking. As far as doing more for the OL, I’m not sure what more could have been done, they are all high draft choices. Darrisaw and O’Neill are elite tackles, at or near the top of their positions. Cleveland is decent, Bradbury is marginal at best and Ingram sucks thus far. But Ingram is in year 2 and Bradbury was their choice to resign this offseason, which tells me they didn’t believe there was a better option out there. Also, getting Darrisaw back will help an enormous amount in the run game.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Never saw anything from Akers in L.A. that would make me want him. Seems like a lateral move / depth at best.

haleysgold
    SE MN

There’s an old saying, doing nothing is not an option.
    Signing Akers cost the Vikings nothing.
    Vikings get Akers and give the Rams a 2026 6th round pick.
    Rams gave the Vikings a 2026 7th round pick.
    If Akers doesn’t get have 500 yards rushing and passing in 2023, no picks are exchanged.

If he is productive and gets over the 500 yards, giving up a 6th Rd pick is a good deal.

Maybe he needs a fresh start to recharge the engine?
    He has been good at times with the Rams.

stout93
    Becker MN

Per SI.com

Of the 64 players selected in the first two rounds of the ’22 draft, Cine and Booth Jr. are two of only five players who have had little to no impact thus far this season.

But hey…let’s chalk it up to Kwesi being a new GM……What an utter BS excuse that is…

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Per SI.com

Of the 64 players selected in the first two rounds of the ’22 draft, Cine and Booth Jr. are two of only five players who have had little to no impact thus far this season.

But hey…let’s chalk it up to Kwesi being a new GM……What an utter BS excuse that is…

You never answered my question about how much “grace” period a new GM should get? So his first two picks in his first draft as a new GM didn’t hit. Is that a fire-able offense in your eyes? One poor draft and out the door, try this GM search again? Come on man. People act like Spielman was some draft wizard but he had LOTS of stinkers over the years, to include the 473 6th/7th round picks he seemed to trade into every year.

CaptainMusky

So his first two picks in his first draft as a new GM didn’t hit. Is that a fire-able offense in your eyes? One poor draft and out the door, try this GM search again? Come on man. People act like Spielman was some draft wizard but he had LOTS of stinkers over the years, to include the 473 6th/7th round picks he seemed to trade into every year.

FOr crying out loud Cine had a major leg injury and is lucky to even play again let alone be back to “normal”.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>
    So his first two picks in his first draft as a new GM didn’t hit. Is that a fire-able offense in your eyes? One poor draft and out the door, try this GM search again? Come on man. People act like Spielman was some draft wizard but he had LOTS of stinkers over the years, to include the 473 6th/7th round picks he seemed to trade into every year.

FOr crying out loud Cine had a major leg injury and is lucky to even play again let alone be back to “normal”.

I’m not the one griping about that first draft, quite the opposite. Apparently in the eyes of Stout93, Kwesi should have been fired because Cine/Booth aren’t hall of famers.

stout93
    Becker MN

Cine (when healthy last year) couldn’t get on the field. They say he’s healthy now and playing special teams…..and he’s the 5th GD safety on the depth chart.

Booth should never have been drafted, let alone in the 2nd round. Half the teams had him off their boards.

Ingram was taken without regard to his ‘off field’ issues.

There are a few more red flags on Kwesi outside of the two top draft picks.

At some point the Kwesi ballwashers will realize that….

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Regarding the running backs, I’ve watched a fair amount of the Jets 2 games, Cook hasn’t exactly lit the field on fire either.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Cine (when healthy last year) couldn’t get on the field. They say he’s healthy now and playing special teams…..and he’s the 5th GD safety on the depth chart.

Booth should never have been drafted, let alone in the 2nd round. Half the teams had him off their boards.

So that means fire Kwesi?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Regarding the running backs, I’ve watched a fair amount of the Jets 2 games, Cook hasn’t exactly lit the field on fire either.

i don’t think he is cooked like some tend to believe.

its the Arodge effect. no defense is afraid of Zach Wilson beating them night in and night out.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^ valid point!!!!!!! waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The Vikings defensive coordinator was just another unemployed DC looking for a job. Not some sort of savior.

stout93
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stout93 wrote:</div>

So that means fire Kwesi?

I don’t consider an NFL GM to be a ‘learn on the job’ type position…but pretty clear in your responses that you have no problem with it.

And yes, if it was me. I’d get rid of him. It doesn’t take Chris Mortenson to realize the guy is in over his head…it’s pretty obvious for those that pay attention..

Tlazer

Well if the Bears win (unlikely) Vikings will own last place in the NFC North.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Clown show finish from the missed INT to Chargers TD on. Ouch!

queenswake
    NULL

I decided to skip the game and do yard work in between beers and enjoy the nice day. I know I would have regretted wasting the day watching that gamed knowing the outcome now. I saw a lot of my neighbors out doing the same. I think people are starting to just shrug and say it’s no longer worth it. Can you imagine the mood walking out of that stadium now?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That was a ballsy move by Staley to go for it on 4th down on his own 26 yard line. Thought that would back fire for sure.

So far this season is basically the exact opposite from last season. 3 one possession losses and last year they won all these games except the playoff one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That was a ballsy move by Staley to go for it on 4th down on his own 26 yard line. Thought that would back fire for sure.

So far this season is basically the exact opposite from last season. 3 one possession losses and last year they won all these games except the playoff one.

yea the chargers basically gave that game to the Vikings, then some pretty bad coaching and QB play……… time management. and they got lucky with a defensive penalty that gave the Vikings a first down!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

yea the chargers basically gave that game to the Vikings, then some pretty bad coaching and QB play……… time management. and they got lucky with a defensive penalty that gave the Vikings a first down!!!

Yep, that was another gift that they didn’t capitalize on. They were forced to use timeouts for injuries to JJ and Hock late too. Probably should have spiked it before the last play instead of hurrying to the line.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Kicking the season off hot I see. Looks like were on a roll. jester
    Glad other hobbies limit me to just checking in online after the game and not actually watching it.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Time to sell?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Some armchair experts think they should ship Cousins to the Jets.

The downsides to that situation are that they’d probably only net a 3rd rounder, and even with Zach Wilson leading the Vikings they probably finish ahead of the Bears and a few other teams…meaning they wouldn’t get “first choice” from a loaded QB class.

They also have the JJ situation on their hands which seemed like a foregone conclusion that’s now becoming a scary question mark

Viewing 30 posts - 421 through 450 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.