2023 pheasant reports

• CaptainMusky

Definitely head West. I just typically use OnX to identify the public land or the DNR recreation compass that identifies what type of habitat is on each parcel which is very useful.

Gitchi Gummi

coming from the Duluth area, so the closer to that, the better but not necessary.

CaptainMusky

OK then North of the Twin Cities might be a good bet. I know Gimruis hunts around there somewhere and has been seeing a lot of birds.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

OK then North of the Twin Cities might be a good bet. I know Gimruis hunts around there somewhere and has been seeing a lot of birds.

I PM’d him with some pointers. That is correct though, I have been hunting twice since deer firearms season and it didn’t take long to put 2 roosters in the bag each time. The birds I am after haven’t been hunted yet, they are still dumb.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Here’s a pheasant video I made in iowa early November. Also on my page I put out a “MN montage” of a few different days I spent on mn bird hunting during the early season. I didn’t hardly hunt over turkey weekend, but hopefully I’ll be out both days this coming weekend.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for posting the video Crawdaddy. Got a kick out of you falling at the end! We have all done it!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I got a couple more roosters today, but couldn’t get that third bird. Missed a couple too. Raised 21, including one group of 8 hens, and 7 deer. Glorious day out there for Dec 1.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2877.jpg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I went Sunday afternoon and flushed two roosters. I got the first with one shell, the second I missed twice. Really wished I would of had him, not a long shot but I had a bad gun mount. I love walking with the dogs. Pheasant hunting is my favorite.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Took the afternoon off and hunted some new spots in the fresh coating of snow. I raised 28 total at these new spots. I got a double at the second spot, and another at the third spot. The roosters at the second spot flushed simultaneously, and I folded both of them. The second rooster went down crippled but I marked it and after some good dog work, Cosmo found it in a patch of grass. Still lots of birds to be had out there.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3700.jpg

2. IMG_3702.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice work Gim!

Hey thanks

My dog turns 12 next February so these days are numbered. She is still out there hammering away though, for now.

FinnyDinDin

At that age you never know if it’ll be the dogs last season. Cherish it and get out as much as you can.

Beautiful dog btw.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The December warrior strikes again.

CaptainMusky

WTG Gim! The geriatric still has some juice! THat is a good number of birds flushed!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

WTG Gim! The geriatric still has some juice! THat is a good number of birds flushed!

Haha. Cooler temps definitely offer some extra energy.

One spot had 11 hens. Its also cool to see the tracks in the fresh snow and get a gauge of where and how many birds are in the area.

CaptainMusky

NOthing better than hunting in fresh snow. I Love it. Well, its going to be all gone after today.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Got three more on public land – finally found an old bird too. Actually was not going to go but decided to head out around 11am. Got pretty lucky today, not gonna lie.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7794-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice work Charlie. Any fresh snow by you? Saturday would have been nasty out there. Howling wind, rain, sleet, snow.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Nice work Charlie. Any fresh snow by you? Saturday would have been nasty out there. Howling wind, rain, sleet, snow.

Where I was hunting I’d say 2-3”. Saturday was a no go with near blizzard conditions.

Gitchi Gummi

I got back from SD on Sunday night where we hunted 4 days. First 2 days were in the 50s/60s (even hit 66 one day), clear skies and not much wind. The second 2 days were complete opposite – temps in the 20s with 30-40mph wind. We did a heck of a lot better on the windy days. I think the birds were kind of confused because of the warmer conditions. Its late season but without any snow and hardly any ice, they don’t have as much of a reason to hold in the thick cattail cover. They’re still jumpy like late season birds, just didn’t seem to be in the usual cover I’d expect in early/mid December.

Might very well have been my older dogs last SD trip. I still haven’t decided if/how hard I will hunt her next year. Last thing I want is my dog to come up lame after a field and end up with a serious injury or worse…

The trip had a somber end to it. On the walk back to the truck on the last field on the last day, my buddies 10 year old chocolate lab broke her femur. An xray found bone cancer in the femur (rare) and due to the injury, he ended up having to put her down yesterday (2 days after we got home from the trip). I’m still pretty shook up about it and how fast it happened. I’ve been hunting with this dog for the last 8 years. This situation really put my older dog’s time left into perspective. I don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze to hunt her anymore – she doesn’t owe me anything.

On the last field of the last day, we flushed a rooster that we hit and cripled and it took off into the grass. I took my 2 goldens over and went on a search that lasted about 10 min before they were able to find the (very much still alive) bird. One of the best retrieves my dog has ever had and it may be her last. I think that’s a good way to go out.

What. A. Season. Plentiful grouse and pheasant numbers and opportunities… I’m still reflecting on it and feel very fortunate and blessed to have such a great season on my older dogs last year and my new dogs first year.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0218.jpg

2. IMG_0214.jpg

3. IMG_0245.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is an unfortunate outcome with the chocolate lab Gitchi. May she rest in peace.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The picture of her on the counter is money!!
    Sorry to hear of your buddy’s dog especially after you just hunted with her.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Was gonna go today, but rain in the forecast altered that, so I went yesterday instead. It was actually too warm out there, and after 3 hours I was spent. I could see my dog was too.

The first two spots did not produce a single freaking bird. Mind you, these are mostly untouched private land spots that I’ve hunted about twice all season. Luckily, the third spot had 13 birds, and 6 of them were roosters. I was able to get two of them. The 4 legged ageless wonder had to really chase and track down a cripple too. She was gone for a good 10 minutes and came back with it panting like a racehorse.

I also raised 2 deer, a coyote, and a feral cat. Yote and cat were too far away for any shots.

Attachments:
    1. 12-14-23-rooster.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The trip had a somber end to it. On the walk back to the truck on the last field on the last day, my buddies 10 year old chocolate lab broke her femur. An xray found bone cancer in the femur (rare) and due to the injury, he ended up having to put her down yesterday (2 days after we got home from the trip). I’m still pretty shook up about it and how fast it happened. I’ve been hunting with this dog for the last 8 years. This situation really put my older dog’s time left into perspective. I don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze to hunt her anymore – she doesn’t owe me anything.

Man, that is tough Gitchi, sorry to hear that about your buddies dog. They will tear you up inside when they reach the end, and even more so when it’s unexpected. I lost my lab a few years ago to bone cancer, unexpectedly at 6 years old, and having gone through that I’d just mention it wasn’t the hunt that did your buddies dog in, the cancer had already set it in motion. Obviously you are going to do what you feel is right by your dog, but hunting or fishing our way into the afterlife would be most sportsmen or hunting dogs preferred way to go. There is no right answer, and awesome memories for you and your good old girl, regardless if that was her last hunt or not. Thanks for sharing!

CaptainMusky

Gitchi so sorry to hear about your buddy’s dog! That really sucks.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Sorry to hear about your buddies dog Gitchi. How old are your two goldens?

Planning on heading west to hunt Thursday and Friday later this week. Such a weird year with no snow to talk of. What type of cover have you guys been seeing birds in? I normally would head for the cattails, but not sure that is the correct area they will be concentrated in.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.