2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• CaptainMusky

The other funny part about that stat is that it’s not actually true. Faber is on pace for 48 points, not 50

So something I read on the internet wasn’t true? What is this world coming too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kinda funny how some fans were ripping Kirill earlier this season and saying he wasn’t worth a big future payday and we should trade him…

He’s worth every penny….

tswoboda

So something I read on the internet wasn’t true? What is this world coming too.

Meant nothing against you Musky. Just whoever is running that twitter account is an idiot. They also completely ignored that Mo Seider had 50 points when he won the Calder 2 years ago. Made up stats are always more fun I guess.

Kinda gunny how some fans were ripping Kirill earlier this season and saying he wasn’t worth a big future payday and we should trade him…
    He’s worth every penny….

It takes like 5 games for most fans to do a complete 180 on their opinion of any given team/player/coach/etc. Kirill was finally rolling when he got hurt and after a 2 slow games it looks like he’s right back in the groove.

Team still looks incredibly disjointed even though they won the last 2 games. That’s exactly how streaks start though.

CaptainMusky

Right, the team hasnt looked great, but they have been trending in a better direction and winning. I think its because Brodin is back in the lineup. Man were they outshot last night though. That is a recipe for disaster but thankfully Gus looked good.

tswoboda

Kaprizov 1st star of the week with 5g-3a-8pts

But no love for Joel Eriksson Ek with 4g-4a-8pts… and also doing Joel Eriksson Ek things

CaptainMusky

But no love for Joel Eriksson Ek with 4g-4a-8pts… and also doing Joel Eriksson Ek things

I think there were 3 Wild players recognized this week of the 6 that got accolades. Ek, KK and Faber. BUt, I read this on the internet so its probably wrong.

tswoboda

What did they win? Pasta and Logan Thompson were the 2nd and 3rd star

tswoboda

Cool, I had no idea Fantasy Team of the Week was a thing. You’re really still pissy because I pointed out the stat you read on Twitter was both made up and wrong?

CaptainMusky

Cool, I had no idea Fantasy Team of the Week was a thing. You’re really still pissy because I pointed out the stat you read on Twitter was both made up and wrong?

I was never pissy bruh. I was just relaying what I read whether it was right or not.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Marat Khusnutdinov was made Captain of his Sochi KHL team last game…he’s only been with the team for a few months now so that’s saying something about his leadership skills (it is possible he was just filling in for the previous captain who maybe is hurt? no other info out of the KHL about it)

Excited to see what this kid can do in the NHL next year with his speed and motor, if anything he’ll help the PK group…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Annual Question – How many PPG’s will Ovi get tonight vs Wild… I say he gets at least 1…

CaptainMusky

Ovi has been slumping by his standards this year hasnt he? I havent looked up his stats, but I thought he was well below normal for him.

CaptainMusky

8 goals.

All those beers are catching up to him. I sure hope he passes Gretzky but at his current pace it might be difficult. 60 something goals to tie him. That is likely at 2 more seasons. I wonder if he has it in him.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ovi has been slumping by his standards this year hasnt he? I havent looked up his stats, but I thought he was well below normal for him.

yeah, big time struggle for this year, he’s also been dealing with a lower body injury most of the season…he lost his dedicated passer when Backstrom went down…i’ve watched several of their games this year and it seems like opposing teams are shadowing him even more now on the PP, he rarely gets a chance to shoot anymore… I still think he’ll pot one tonight, struggles and all, he owns the Wild…

tswoboda

Marat Khusnutdinov was made Captain of his Sochi KHL team last game…

Maybe a good way to keep him in Sochi for next year, and the next, and the….

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Marat Khusnutdinov was made Captain of his Sochi KHL team last game…

Maybe a good way to keep him in Sochi for next year, and the next, and the….

at this point who knows with the KHL anymore…that’s why GMBG should try to get him and Danila over here asap, what is another year in the KHL going to do for Danila vs coming over this spring? He’s already dominating that league for a 19 year old…

tswoboda

The thing about Ovi is his shot volume and chances haven’t really changed, it’s just the finishing that isn’t there this year. He’s always been a volume shooter and still is this year, the shot distance/quality hasn’t changed much either. The big difference is he’s shot 13% for his career and this year he’s at 6%. He’s only had one season year under 10% is his career and that was like 9%. So did he lose a bunch of velocity and placement off of his shot and forgot how to score? Or is he just due to go on a heater the rest of the season?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve watched the Capitals a few times this season too, courtesy of the complimentary NHL Center Ice Package.

I don’t think he will catch the great one in goals. As others have stated, his pace has fallen off a cliff this season. He would need to keep playing another 4-5 seasons if he continues at his current pace.

I also don’t think the Caps are even a playoff team anymore. They struggle to score goals like they used to when they were bonafide playoff squad. Father time has caught up. Charlie Lindgren is having a pretty decent season for them in goal but that alone isn’t enough to keep them in the hunt.

tswoboda

Will the Darcy Kuemper fan club be watching their favorite player tonight?

JoeMX1825
    MN

He’ll break it…this is the first season (minus covid season) in his CAREER he likely won’t get to 30 goals…just think about that…unreal…he’s always been streaky and I still expect him to get 25+ this season..

I think he’ll change his game a bit to help ensure he stays healthy (maybe shy off a bit on getting huge hits) the Capitals will get a good chunk of cap relief with Mantha coming off the books and Backstrom LTIR/retirement to get a quality setup guy as he can still shoot the puck. He’ll always get his share of PP and empty net goals to help compensate for his reduced 5-5 goals…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Perhaps another reason he may not make it is if the Capitals keep missing the playoffs too. Obviously playoff goals count towards the total, but for years the Caps were a deep post season team, so he was awarded extra games to pot goals.

That aint gonna be happening anymore. Too many other Metropolitan teams have passed them in the standings. I’d put the Rangers, Flyers, Hurricanes, and Devils ahead of them just in that division right now. And maybe the Penguins.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Perhaps another reason he may not make it is if the Capitals keep missing the playoffs too. Obviously playoff goals count towards the total, but for years the Caps were a deep post season team, so he was awarded extra games to pot goals.

That aint gonna be happening anymore. Too many other Metropolitan teams have passed them in the standings. Youth and skill over takes age.

They don’t count Playoff goals as not every player gets a chance at playoff games. If you want total goals (Regular season & Playoffs) Gretzky had 1,016 goals and Ovi has 902, Gretzky has played 61 more playoff games…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They don’t count Playoff goals as not every player gets a chance at playoff games.

My bad. Didn’t know that. Thanks

Ripjiggen

I think he gets there but it is going to be tough. The franchise is probably more focused on that than a cup at this point.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think this season’s sharp goal drop is injury/lack of a setup guy related more than anything else. His previous 2 seasons scored 92 goals, is 36 & 37 years old so much different than 38?

He has 2 1/2 seasons to get 65… I think he scores another 15-20 this season, so that puts him needing 50-45 for the next 2 seasons (just based on his current contract) I think he would sign a 1 year deal if he doesn’t break it by the end.

He’ll get 2 minutes of every power play and he’ll be out the final 2 minutes of every game they have the lead in for empty netters, both are huge positives to counter the age argument.

I agree his record will be Washington’s main focus the next 2 years…

Viewing 30 posts - 2,941 through 2,970 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.