2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m looking forward to the first Maroon, Not Weird. Wild promo.

good call! Although Greenway already did a “Big Rig” one…

CaptainMusky

He’ll do an actual big rig with a trailer and throw shade.

Ripjiggen

I think about the same when we traded for Moroon as I did when we got Reavo.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I don’t think it makes us any closer to being a contender but a guy like that is good to have around. The curious part about the trade was the third piece for me besides the draft pick going the other way. Sounds like a guy with some skill that had some attitude and potentially locker room issues. We’ll see how that plays out and if he even makes it through camp or is waived.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

So if dumba goes unsigned, will we take him back at a low price? Do we lock him in for a few years? Or are we totally done with him?

JoeMX1825
    MN

So if dumba goes unsigned, will we take him back at a low price? Do we lock him in for a few years? Or are we totally done with him?

he’s likely to sign with the Coyotes… we’re not signing anyone else besides our RFA’s and even that has become troublesome…

CaptainMusky

Yeah in a tough spot for sure. The best chance is to send Gus to arbitration because it’s likely favorable for wild then work through the rest.

tswoboda

Gus was top 3 in all the main goalie numbers this season, aside from starts and wins which aren’t under his control. Prior to this season, he was a nobody. Makes sense why the contract is taking awhile when there’s virtually no comps for that. Really similar to the Kaprizov contract in that sense so I can see why the agent is playing hard ball. Also tough to gauge where Gus comes in at arbitration with the lack of comps.

tswoboda

Currently sitting at 12 NHL forwards (including Rossi) so unless they plan to have one of Letteiri/Petan/Beckman/Walker/etc. as full time [press box] NHLers and have no injuries, they kinda need to pick up another forward. I would hope the Wild sign one more forward for the opening day roster… a Sam Steel type signing – youngish versatile unqualified RFA to use as a depth forward.

tswoboda

Gus and Duhaime both filed for Arbitration so that puts an end date on everything. Addison is not arb. eligible so he’ll likely have to wait. If they can do Gus @ $3.5m and Duhaime/Addison @ $1m each, that leaves just under $1m for the 13th forward.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Gus and Duhaime both filed for Arbitration so that puts an end date on everything. Addison is not arb. eligible so he’ll likely have to wait. If they can do Gus @ $3.5m and Duhaime/Addison @ $1m each, that leaves just under $1m for the 13th forward.

yeah was gonna say Russo did the math and his best guesses equated to Gus getting $3.5, Duhaime $1.25, Addison $825k and then they had something like $800k in reserve for injury callups, etc…

Super tight…

CaptainMusky

Gus signing for arb is great! At least in part. It means the wild will choose 1 yr deal vs 2 so he won’t be Ufa. Duhaime that isn’t the case however.

tswoboda

The thing about arbitration is they almost never actually make it there, like Fiala. It just puts a deadline on negotiations so it doesn’t drag into training camp, like Kaprizov.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how or why a Brandon Duhaime would ever go over $1m AAV. If he somehow makes it to arbitration he’ll get league minimum or maybe a hair over. He plays 10.5 minutes a night, doesn’t produce, doesn’t play center, isn’t young, isn’t an enforcer, isn’t an analytics darling, etc.. I like Duhaime, there may be some untapped potential there and I hope he sticks around. Just saying contracts are done based on numbers and comps and so far he doesn’t really have any numbers that are good. Maybe they’re trying to lock him up for 3 or 4 years IDK.

basseyes

Last year was fun. This year we are going to feel the cap he’ll for real. Not expecting much, but hopefully can get some younger guys up and see what they have to offer. Really don’t see a playoff appearance and will be interesting to see how the team as a whole deals with that from coaches, to veterans to KK. Will definitely feel like a step backwards with wins and it has to be. Here’s looking forward to getting out of the cap hit ditch eventually. Nothing will be quick, easy or pretty this year. Will be really interesting to see how BG and the coaching staff deal with the challenges throughout the year.

tswoboda

Big fan of Dumba? Think he’s a lot better player than Faber?

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Dumba’s always been that defenseman with a lot of potential upside. Unfortunately there have been long stretches where he doesn’t show that upside.

The offense that he brings to the team often comes at a price. He just seems to lack situational awareness. Any time that the other team has a breakaway I watch on the replay to see where Dumb a was. He frequently is the cause if the breakaway. In fact, I am usually surprised when it is not him.

As to Faber, way too early to tell. But he did not seem like a rookie in the 8 games he has played.

Since Dumba still hasn’t signed, I am guessing he wants a lot of money. More than he is worth at this point.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think Duhaime’s agent will try to sell the idea to the arbitrator that when healthy and given more playtime he could be a 30-40 point guy…

The Wild will try to sell exactly what you posted…

The Arbitrator then almost always just goes with the middle number…

That’s why Arb cases almost always get settled beforehand, both sides know its just a waste of time…

Tom schmitt

I was always a Dumba fan as well but after the pec injury and the broken sturnum his scoring is gone.
    His slapshot changed from a short compact quick release to a giant backswing all power no accuracy shot. If anyone can get through to him to change back he could surprise.
    As far as the break away thing goes often if you look closer often it is the forwards not expecting or recognizing the pinch.
    Defense is a team/ line game not just the defenseman.

CaptainMusky

I’ve been hearing the Dumba situation requires another move to be made prior and it just hasn’t happened.

tswoboda

How about Jordan Greenway… Think they’ll really miss him this year?

JoeMX1825
    MN

How about Jordan Greenway… Think they’ll really miss him this year?

i’d be surprised if Greenway is still in the league in 2-3 years… although he could bounce around a few more years as teams get blinded by his size/tools and think they can fix him (like Alex Galchenyek)

He just screams showing upto camp weighing 250+ one of these years…

tswoboda

Just thinking about the comments “This year we are going to feel the cap hell for real”. They’re returning basically the same team aside from Dumba and Greenway. Same as year before too aside from Fiala. So with no buyout cap hits right now they could have the same team + Fiala, Dumba, and Greenway and then be right at the cap. Cup contenders??

Ripjiggen

^^^I thought you were going the non playoff team route vs the cap route but agree. I also think they will be a playoff team as well.

CaptainMusky

Just thinking about the comments “This year we are going to feel the cap hell for real”. They’re returning basically the same team aside from Dumba and Greenway. Same as year before too aside from Fiala. So with no buyout cap hits right now they could have the same team + Fiala, Dumba, and Greenway and then be right at the cap. Cup contenders??

I don’t think they’re cup contenders with those guys personally. Fiala certainly would help the other two? Who knows! Sometimes yes, many times no. End of season Dumba last year would be awesome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sounds like Yurov is pretty excited to get to North America next year and it was mentioned the Wild might try him at center…

CaptainMusky

Sounds like Yurov is pretty excited to get to North America next year and it was mentioned the Wild might try him at center…

Interesting, excited for this kid among others

JoeMX1825
    MN

Why does it feel like the Avs will get Patrick Kane for like a million bucks..

Ripjiggen

Because that is what cup contending teams do.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Da Beauty League is starting up again on Wednesday nights at Braemar Arena in Edina. First session is this Wed, July 12 and it runs through Aug 16, plus playoffs I think. Haven’t gone to this in about 5 years now (pre pandemic) so I might go check it out one of these weeks. The rosters aren’t updated yet as of today but I’m sure there will be a lot of local college and pro flavor again.

https://dablstats.hockeyshift.com/stats#/1584/schedule?division_id=26404

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.