2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Dew’s look recharged since Hynes took over. Both of them are all over on the forecheck and getting chances too. Hartman finding a role on that line too and together they’re winning their matchup every game.

Boldy has been a monster under Hynes, fun to watch. Generating chances of his own and gave Kirill a couple grade A’s.

Great examples of the fact that the coach does, in fact, matter.

We saw before what happened when Boldy was in a slump and Eveson told him to get back on the horse and start producing. Suddenly he’s totally off his game, trying way too hard, taking stupid penalties, making stupid passes, etc, etc.

Boldy does not respond to the tough guy act. We saw it last year, but as I’ve said before, Eveson was a one trick pony. Players not playing well? Solution is always the same. Call ’em out and kick ’em in the @ss.

Boldy is clearly sensitive about his performance and the more a coach tells him to try harder, the worse he gets. And the worse he gets, the more he tries harder.

It can’t be any more obvious that Hynes recognizes this and had a totally different approach that Boldy responds to a lot better.

tswoboda

I think he can technically be extended after January 1st…

July 1st, or whatever day is the opening of free agency this summer. He has another full season on his ELC.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I think he can technically be extended after January 1st…

July 1st, or whatever day is the opening of free agency this summer. He has another full season on his ELC.

hmmm, I thought you can extend your own guys after the calendar year starts?? Hartman, Zuccy and Moose were all extended with the entire last year of their existing deal still on the books…

tswoboda

Then I guess you thought wrong. Faber can extend when FA opens next summer, just like Foligno Hartman and Zucc could have this past summer

JoeMX1825
    MN

Then I guess you thought wrong. Faber can extend when FA opens next summer, just like Foligno Hartman and Zucc could have this past summer

yeah, I was confusing that existing teams can negotiate with their players anytime before July 1st…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Russo put out a good article today regarding Charlie Stramel’s struggles this season and what Judd Brackett thought of the situation. Long story short, they still beleive in Charlie (of course they are going to say that) but they definately need to see more development and progression this season…

Russo mentioned he reached out to Wisconsin coach Mike Hastings regarding Stramel’s season and his limited use as a 4th line Wing and Hastings didn’t respond back…interesting…

He also mentioned all of the other players drafted before and after Stramel having huge seasons and how drafting their 1st rounder for need was likely a bad decision…on the flip side, he mentions how Judd appears to have nailed his two 2nd round picks (Kumpelainen & Hedit) who are lighting it up in their respective leagues…

I’ve pulled back a bit on my disdain of the pick (especially when Gabe Pearrault was still available) If Stramel turns into a Joel Otto type of 3rd line Center who can win faceoffs and provide physicality, then it will turn into a good pick…The only scary part is that the Wild only have this and next season to make a sign or don’t sign decision on him otherwise he’ll just play out his senior year and wait to turn into a UFA…

Ripjiggen

Hastings is a no nonsense coach that plays a certain system that you have to buy into and play. If you don’t you won’t see the ice.

CaptainMusky

He sure has turned Wisconsin around in a hurry. If I was strammel I would buy in in a hurry.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hastings is a no nonsense coach that plays a certain system that you have to buy into and play. If you don’t you won’t see the ice.

yeah I get that, I was just surprised he didn’t talk to Russo…maybe the best choice was to just ignore the request vs answer some tough questions on the record regarding a 19 year old kid the state’s hockey fans are focused on.

tswoboda

“Still believing” in a 1st round pick 6 months after drafting him is kind of a red flag, no? coffee

From the same article, the DoPS looked at the E Kane hit on Brodin and gave him a warning instead of a suspension. Couldn’t give him the classic $5k fine because it would probably end up in bankruptcy court smash

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s been a bunch of strange DoPS decisions lately…

I still find it hilarious George Parros is making the decions…

JoeMX1825
    MN

“Still believing” in a 1st round pick 6 months after drafting him is kind of a red flag, no?

yeah, it really felt like Bracket was trying hard to find positives
    “is he’s playing in a straight lines”
    “Is he getting pucks to the net”
    “is he drawing penalties”

All great questions to ask about your 6th & 7th rounders…not your 1st…

I do like the idea proposed elsewhere that he pulls himself out of Wisconsin and signs with a WHL/OHL team…

tswoboda

Are you saying Charlie Stramel might pull a Charlie Coyle?

Honestly I’d be ecstatic if Charlie S has the career of Charlie C.

CaptainMusky

Honestly I’d be ecstatic if Charlie S has the career of Charlie C.

I just wish he would have done that when he was with us.

tswoboda

Done what? He’s been the same player in Boston, just the expectations changed from top 6 scorer to 3rd line center.

CaptainMusky

I think he has been far better there than he was here. Yeah the expectations were higher here, but I think he is doing more for them probably because of the reduced role.

JoeMX1825
    MN

His stats were better here, but that’s likely due to a bit more PP time and playing a bit higher in the lineup than in Boston. He’s always been a 35-45 point player with the odd year above or below that average…This year will be telling if he can elevate his game at all as he’ll get more opportunity with Krecji and Bergeron gone and play with better Wings…

tswoboda

In MN he was the guy traded for Burns so we had massive expectations that he never came close to so we hated him. In Boston he’s supposed to be a 3C and #oneofthem so they love him.

He is on pace for a career year right now playing with noted elite wingers… JVR and Trent Frederic ????

Tom schmitt

It would also help if they use him correctly as Boston has with Coyle.
    The Wild just insisted on using Coyle at wing because they had so few right handers. But he always played better at center.

JoeMX1825
    MN

n Boston he’s supposed to be a 3C

His extension makes Ek’s deal look crazy good…We need Faber moved next to Ek’s stall so he can whisper in his ear that max term team friendly deals are good to sign….

JoeMX1825
    MN

They should have the top young players still on their ELC deals be the ones who compete in it, for $1 million bucks it would be like the Hunger Games…

Please God let the next announcement be that TNT is televising it!!!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Boeser with a trick last night…

CaptainMusky

Saw Brodin had a cast on at the Gala event they had last night.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Boeser with a trick last night…

Dude is a pure sniper. About 5 years ago I went to a night of Da Beauty League when he was there. It was obvious he was the best player that summer too. His shot is what separates him from other players. Obviously being right handed helps too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I saw that too, nice to get the injury scoop from a charity event video vs the press…looked like a broken wrist…

typical 6-12 week recovery with months of pain and a high re-injury rate afterwards…not great for a hockey player…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Their website says week to week. I wonder how bad it really is..

tswoboda

Mild fracture could be as short as 3-4 weeks, severe could be significantly longer.

This reminds me they let Eriksson Ek play 15 days after breaking his leg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

And didn’t Florida let tkachuk play with a broken sternum last year?? Hockey players are different.

wormdunker

The arm required surgical repair.

Viewing 30 posts - 2,041 through 2,070 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.