2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Reilly Heidt has some skill, was supposed to go alot earlier…

CaptainMusky

3 centers with 4 picks. Stramel will be fine. His dad died a couple years ago and was playing for the terrible badgers. Hastings is the right guy to develop him. Watch it happen this year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

3 centers with 4 picks. Stramel will be fine. His dad died a couple years ago and was playing for the terrible badgers. Hastings is the right guy to develop him. Watch it happen this year.

3 picks…

Gitchi Gummi

and just like that, another homegrown Minnesota kid.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like three HS players from Minnesota have been drafted so far.

Jayson Shaugabay, Warroad
    Hampton Slukynsky, Warroad
    Chase Cheslock, Rogers

Shaugabay is a Minnesota Duluth commit, Slukynsky is a Northern Michigan (goalie) commit, and Cheslock is a St Thomas commit. Cheslock is the first Tommie to ever be selected in the NHL draft.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild Draft in the books for 2023, surprise reach pick in the 1st and a good value pick in the 3rd is all I took from it…They obviously knew they needed to address size at center, but then draft a couple of 6″1″ and under Defensemen again…at least we have Free Agency starting Saturday to make some noise…oh wait… nvm…

Who knows, maybe we’ll be the team with 10 draft picks next year and picking top 10?

Gitchi Gummi

those warroad kids sure were fun to watch at the tourney last year. I believe it was the first time the Mr Hockey winner and Frank Brimsek winner were on the same team.

Ripjiggen

You don’t shoot for fine I. The first that is what 2nd round plus is for.

tswoboda

Well I doubt the draft gurus will be saying the Wild won the draft like the 3 previous years. They also don’t have anything to show for that at the NHL level either, so not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing. Interesting that Judd basically came out and said they were directed to draft big centers.

Heidt seems like Perrault lite but 40 spots later. That’s also a more traditional JB pick.

The Pionk kid as a double overager is another puzzling puck. Add him to the list of MN High School kids drafted.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

You don’t shoot for fine I. The first that is what 2nd round plus is for.

yeah, Judd sold GMBG that Stramel’s freshman turd of a season was just due to extenuating circumstances…we’ll see over the next 1-2 years if he was right…he’ll be linked with Gabe Perrault for years with Wild fans…who pans out, who doesn’t…

speaking on that, have we ever decided who won between the Caufield or Boldy pick? might actually be a draw…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Pionk kid as a double overager is another puzzling puck. Add him to the list of MN High School kids drafted.

Good catch. Hermantown, MN.

Originally committed to Mankato and then switched to Duluth after Mike Hastings left to coach Wisconsin.

Gitchi Gummi

Aaron Pionk is the younger brother of Neal Pionk who has been very solid on Winnipeg’s blueline for the last 4 years. Neal is a heck of a player, hopefully Aaron follows suit.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I figured they’d go big centers and D man. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if that’s their strategy the next few years. Draft a crapload of centers and some D men. Other than some elite scoring wing prospects, seems you can get all the wingers you want in FA. At least when we have some cap space.

AK Guy

Aaron Pionk is the younger brother of Neal Pionk who has been very solid on Winnipeg’s blueline for the last 4 years. Neal is a heck of a player, hopefully Aaron follows suit.

I know their parents. The boys were named after the Broten’s. I suppose if they had a third kid he would’ve been named Paul.

Add Eric Pohlkamp to the list of MN draft picks. A Brainerd kid.

Gitchi Gummi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

I know their parents. The boys were named after the Broten’s. I suppose if they had a third kid he would’ve been named Paul.

Add Eric Pohlkamp to the list of MN draft picks. A Brainerd kid.

Good stuff. The Pionks have done a ton for hockey in the Duluth area. Scott is currently getting that Stella program up and running. Tall task but I think he will get it done.

Very cool about the boys being named after the broten boys. I think they have 4 boys total. Nate, Neal, Joe and Aaron

JoeMX1825
    MN

Love how Chicago is buying up Vets with HUGE 1 year contracts and structuring them so they are minuscule for other teams to take on at the trade deadline… at least they’re blatantly honest they’re still in full tank mode…

AnotherFisherman

I’m no draft guru, but I’m content with the Wild’s draft. Stramel was a reach, but like many have said, checks a lot of boxes for us. Hoping for the best! I have full faith in BG and Judd.

AnotherFisherman

Rossi is still only 21 years old, many in my circle have written him off already. I don’t stay current with this thread, but follow it from time to time. What are your thoughts on Rossi?

tswoboda

Holy hell NHL upper middle class is not safe right now.

Nashville having their Suter/Parise moment and sounds like it’s also based on culture there. Duchene had 65 goals and 142 points over 149 games the last 2 seasons.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230630_125125_Twitter.jpg

tswoboda

Rossi is still only 21 years old, many in my circle have written him off already. I don’t stay current with this thread, but follow it from time to time. What are your thoughts on Rossi?

Agree on Rossi, he’s young. I absolutely loved him as a draft pick, but he’s been bad in his NHL time. Small forwards historically take longer on average so I’m all for patience with this kid.

Seems like you follow the Wild pretty closely, you should post in here more. Although with reasonable takes like this you may not fit in well jester

Ripjiggen

Yeah Trotz starting his own thing being a first time GM. Very similar to BG.

Ripjiggen

I figured they’d go big centers and D man. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if that’s their strategy the next few years. Draft a crapload of centers and some D men. Other than some elite scoring wing prospects, seems you can get all the wingers you want in FA. At least when we have some cap space.

Their strategy the next few years better be moving some of the assets or futures as the prospect pool is getting pretty full and they are going to need NHL players.
    They have more first and second round picks the last three years than any other team.
    I think starting even next year BG is going to have to start showing how he is going to build this club to keep KK around.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Next year GMBG can make a huge splash at the trade deadline as he’ll only need to fit the prorated caphit of anybody he trades for, he can then extend them as our cap pain is gone the following year… this upcoming season is all about developing the young guys and getting assets for anybody not considered part of the core moving forward…

Maybe start sending Draisaitl some anonymous MN loves you cards…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ooof, how does that Vegas 2x $4.9aav deal they gave Adin Hill NOT complicate things with Gus…

tswoboda

No QO for Shaw so he technically becomes a free agent tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how that situation plays out.

A lot of good young players around the league not receiving QOs so they will become UFAs at a young age. That’s how we got Hartman.

JoeMX1825
    MN

No QO for Shaw so he technically becomes a free agent tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how that situation plays out.

A lot of good young players around the league not receiving QOs so they will become UFAs at a young age. That’s how we got Hartman.

Sprong and Geekie not qualified by Seattle is hard to believe…they were a huge chunk of their offense last season

Ripjiggen

Ooof, how does that Vegas 2x $4.9aav deal they gave Adin Hill NOT complicate things with Gus…

Older more seasons in NHL and a Cup.
    At least that is what I’m telling myself.

Seriously though winning a cup should be worth 1-2 mill don’t you think?

JoeMX1825
    MN

It would be nice if any extra money GMBG was going to use on Reaves (who’s going to Toronto) could be used to help sign Luke Schenn…maybe trade Merrill to help as well…

It will be interesting to watch the prices UFA’s sign for today… The top guys will get their money, but then the next tier will have peanuts to fight over, the final tier (where the Wild will be shopping) will likely only have league minimum offers to choose from…

Ripjiggen

Would love to sign Schenn over just about any 4th line forward.

tswoboda

Didn’t BG say they are set at D and will only be signing a couple cheap forwards to fill out the roster. Sorry to burst the Schenn bubble, I feel like he’s gonna get overpaid too.

Holy F- 3x$1.3 for Reavo in Toronto!!! Good for him, does he get bought out next summer or the summer after ??

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.