2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Lol yep currently being paid by 3 teams. hah

Dude is a good to great hockey player is why he is cashing checks. Would you take him as your 7th D over John Merril for half the price?

No longer great but still better skills than Merrill. I’ll pass though because he is poison in the locker room.

JoeMX1825
    MN

He doesn’t fit anywhere on this current roster and future years look even worse with prospects coming…

Thought all of our prospects were can’t miss top six guys?

Thanks for proving my point…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dude is a good to great hockey player is why he is cashing checks. Would you take him as your 7th D over John Merril for half the price?

Suter is clearly not a fan favorite around these parts but the point is that he was and still is a pretty good hockey player. I just find it ironic that 3 teams have now all made the same mistake, and they are all paying for it. Literally.

At least the Blues have the recognition to only sign him for a one year deal at this point.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Suter’s incentives (which are very easy to attain as long as he’s healthy) will kick that 1 year deal up to like $3+ million…
    I don’t think anybody ever questioned his skill (rightfully Wild fans questioned his insistence on being the PP QB) and he’s always been able to stay healthy his entire career, he’s obviously lost a few steps the past few seasons resulting in his buyout (Wild for obvious other reasons)…Blues defense is aging so this is a stopgap signing until their D prospects get ready…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t think anybody ever questioned his skill (rightfully Wild fans questioned his insistence on being the PP QB)

Ummm, I respectfully disagree. There are a significant number of posts in this thread and in previous ones bashing him to no end. People just don’t like him because he was an apparent cancer in the locker room and teams over paid him over and over.

The “Suter PP wrister to the shin pads from the point” is a trademarked phrase around here lol

JoeMX1825
    MN

Someone obviously fell in love with him just like you fall in love with every can’t miss 2nd and 3rd round Judd and BG pick…

Freddy was obviously Deano’s secret offspring and his signing was a panic move by GMBG after Rossi struggled 2 years ago and Heidt and Yurov were still unknowns (Hartman was our 1C at the time) The term he got was ridiculous but needed to be in order to get his AAV down for potential buyout protection if needed…This season is Freddy’s last chance to show something that warrants him fitting somewhere in this lineup otherwise he’ll need to get pawned off to a rebuilding team needing a cheap veteran for a few years, we’ll still need to overpay and lose that trade if it happens…

Who are the 2nd and 3rd round draft picks I “fell in love with” over the years? I can really only think of Rossi/Wallstedt/Yurov/Buium as draft picks I let everybody know I was super excited about and they were all 1st rounders who coincidentally are all in our top 5 young players in the organization now…Not sure how far back this message board goes but I was pumping Kirill’s tires a year after we drafted him in the 5th round and the world got its first viewing of him actually playing hockey…maybe you’re talking about Haight and Lorenz? I merely said those were good picks and both players now fall in our top 10 prospects list 3 years later…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I don’t think anybody ever questioned his skill (rightfully Wild fans questioned his insistence on being the PP QB)

Ummm, I respectfully disagree. There are a significant number of posts in this thread and in previous ones bashing him to no end. People just don’t like him because he was an apparent cancer in the locker room and teams over paid him over and over.

The “Suter PP wrister to the shin pads from the point” is a trademarked phrase around here lol

I think the complaining is all based on his last few years in the league (where I said he’s lost a few steps) and his forcing his way as the PP QB guy with the Wild where he never excelled at (queue the Suter shin pads shot joke)… before his age diminished his foot speed, he was an all-star stay home defenseman with elite breakout skills…that’s what has kept him in the league so long and why he still got good contracts…

We all agree his apparent attitude is why he was bought out the 1st time, maybe that’s what influenced the Dallas decision a bit as well?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wondering if GMBG is truly set with his team for this season or if they are continuing to work on either a trade for a Top 6 guy (like Patrick Liane) GMBG repeatedly has said he needs to get more scoring help for the 2nd line or getting Rutger McGroarty away from the Jets (They obviously wanted him willing to deal pick #13 at the draft if Buium didn’t slip) as a way to increase the bulk of their prospect pool…

IF they are still interested, then its likely a waiting game to see how much Salary retention Columbus would take on for Liane (Wild for sure wanting 50%) or if the Jets don’t get better offers and are willing to deal McGroarty to a division/border rival who they will face 3-4 times a season (same goes for the Wild and whomever they would be trading back for him Rossi? Ohgren?)

tswoboda

Holy hell getting caught up here is a tough read

Doing line charts in July rotflol yeah those might last until the 3rd period of game 1 – Hynes rarely made it a game without making changes lol who the F cares about fanfiction forward lines

“where is everyone going to fit” ha are ya sure the Wild have **too many** good players? just a couple months after missing the playoffs with 1 good forward line and a 4th line of 3 AHLers yeah ok

Yakov Trenin huh ??? that’s a lot of cash

Could still use about 2-3 more top 6 forwards who can produce – hoping that’s partially cured by another huge step forward from Rossi this year

When does the 24-25 season thread start?

tswoboda

Ryan Suter counting $11m against the salary cap in the 2024-2025 season is so cool, honestly good for him

JoeMX1825
    MN

Doing line charts in July yeah those might last until the 3rd period of game 1 – Hynes rarely made it a game without making changes lol who the F cares about fanfiction forward lines

“where is everyone going to fit” ha are ya sure the Wild have **too many** good players? just a couple months after missing the playoffs with 1 good forward line and a 4th line of 3 AHLers yeah ok

The line charts are more about who’s in the lineup and who isn’t, we know nothing ever sticks…point being not many changes vs last season…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Could still use about 2-3 more top 6 forwards who can produce

lol, ya think? We could also use 2-3 Defenseman and 1-2 Goalies…

tswoboda

The line charts are more about who’s in the lineup and who isn’t, we know nothing ever sticks…point being not many changes vs last season…

sure that’s why I was fortunate enough to read 5+ posts dissecting whether or not Freddy Hockey is allowed to be a 4th liner

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

sure that’s why I was fortunate enough to read 5+ posts dissecting whether or not Freddy Hockey is allowed to be a 4th liner

it was more about were do you put him in this lineup for the next 4 years if GMBG can’t move him?

CaptainMusky

Its not whether he is allowed its whether he is a good fit there which I dont think he is, but who knows.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Zeev Buium was just on the Spittin Chiclets podcast, good/funny interview…The kid definitely has some swagger to him….

Ice Cap

Kings sign Byfield to a 6X5 contract. Thats’ a good contract for the Kings I’d say. Heard he was going to get offer sheets around 8 per year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kings sign Byfield to a 6X5 contract. Thats’ a good contract for the Kings I’d say. Heard he was going to get offer sheets around 8 per year.

i’m really surprised with the taboo of NHL Offer Sheets and why there aren’t more of them, especially for the better teams in the league…Take Martin Necas as an example, if you were Colorado or Boston and could put in an offer sheet for him at say $8 million aav for 8 years, there’s no way that Carolina could match it with their cap issues this season, so the compensation going back to Carolina would be most likely very late 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks…Outside of an offer sheet, there’s no way without trading one of their own young stars that Colorado/Boston could get a young upcoming player like Necas that can help them immediately…those likely late in the round picks wouldn’t impact Colorado/Boston for many years and their chance to hit is already pretty low being late in each round…

The odds are probably better that the weaker teams in the league have the capspace to overpay on the offer and then the compensation going back to Carolina looks alot better, but typically those weaker teams are picking in the top 10 of the draft and their chance to hit with those 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks is alot higher…

I get it that there’s only 32 NHL GM’s and its a pretty close fraternity you don’t want a bad reputation with, but with GM’s typically having such a short leash for success before getting fired that the negative vibes of basically poaching another team’s young talent is the last thing on some of their minds (likely the ones feeling the heat)

tswoboda

Laine 1/3 retained for Gus, Freddy, and Dean Evanson – make it happen Billy

Take Martin Necas as an example, if you were Colorado or Boston and could put in an offer sheet for him at say $8 million aav for 8 years, there’s no way that Carolina could match it with their cap issues this season

You sure about that? Haha great timing

JoeMX1825
    MN

You sure about that? Haha great timing

what? did he just re-sign or do you mean cap dollars opening up after the Kuzy termination?

Hard to believe Kuzy would just say no to $6+ million for a season just to go back to the KHL and make a fraction of that…I sense a Joe Smith under the table arrangement…

Another example of a team figuring out how to do something the Wild seems to think isn’t possible, getting out of bad contracts…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Laine 1/3 retained for Gus, Freddy, and Dean Evanson – make it happen Billy

its not your worst idea ever…need Deano to get signed on as coach first so he can demand Freddy comes with )

JoeMX1825
    MN

Scott wheeler just came out with his top 100 drafted Forward/Defense prospects and the Wild had 4 guys make the list with Marat Khusnidhinov just missing out…

Wild Prospects
    #5 Zeev Buium
    #30 Danila Yurov
    #66 Liam Ohgren
    #100 Riley Heidt

Jesper Wallstedt was again ranked the #1 Goalie Prospect

Viewing 22 posts - 5,761 through 5,782 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.