2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• Ripjiggen

Mermis is FA.
    The others you listed just got pushed down the pipeline with this years draft and most likely expendable. Outside of Lambos who was late none are first round picks or talents.

Not drafted but BG did get Middleton and Faber.

Not sure why you hate the Middleton signing more than the Trenin signing.

I’m fine with Middleton signing honestly. He was always going to resign for 3-4 years.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Like I said a few posts back, I look at the Middleton extension as injury insurance for Spurgeon and Brodin. Buium will absolutely take a top 4 spot end of next season and if it all works out Middleton could get traded 1-3 seasons from now….

The cap is expected to go up around $5-6 million each of the next 3 seasons, so everyones cap % will drop each season…

I saw a local news story that Faber’s extension is rumored to be 8 x $8aav, that would be excellent if true and a local discount from Faber, we’ll see

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The others you listed just got pushed down the pipeline with this years draft and most likely expendable. Outside of Lambos who was late none are first round picks or talents.
    Not drafted but BG did get Middleton and Faber.

Not sure why you hate the Middleton signing more than the Trenin signing.

First off, I don’t hate the Trenin signing because he’s at least an attempt to solve a giant, glaring hole in the Wild’s game from last season. The PK blows buttski. And since this season will essentially be a reload of last, where else would a better PK come from if not for bringing somebody just like Trenin in?

What I’m questioning is all the self-promotion coming out of the Wild office after every draft. Yet the Billy/Judd show thus far has failed to produce a single drafted D man with big team roster staying power even at the 2nd or third pairing level, but they’ve burned a boatload of pics trying.

I don’t hate the Middleton signing, I hate the 4 year term on top of the year he has left plus the MNTC.

Here’s the bottom line. I don’t see how the Wild are ANY better off now than the day Guerin took over. Zero overall progress. We can point to individual players (as you can with any of our GMs), but nobody will hand us a playoff spot because BG traded for Faber. As a team are the Wild better? I don’t see it.

And the prospects are getting worse and worse for any big improvements over what we have now because BG just keeps locking in middle roster after middle roster player to long deals with NTC/NMC kickers. And the pipline is NOT coming up to expectations or at least the internal spin the Wild are putting on at draft time.

And then the cherry on top of the Wild’s fail sundae for me is that the one guy who really HAS panned out is on the trading block. How does any of this add up to a winning GM strategy?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild development camp July 7/9, all the prospects except Yurov will be there. The one thing I noticed right away from the roster was that Hunter Haight apparently had a growth spurt, he’s now listed as 6’2” 186 lbs…

Imo that kid is the biggest wildcard with our prospects, he could turn into a really good NHL center or he could fade into AHL purgatory… this next year is huge for him…

Interesting that our NCAA kids (Buium & Stramel) are coming, I thought they weren’t allowed to? (Boldy never did until he signed)maybe that all changed with NIL?

Ripjiggen

Honestly Grouse I don’t disagree with most of your assessment of BG.
    The Middleton signing is far down in my list of gripes with him though.

JoeMX1825
    MN

In regards to our D prospects not panning out, I would only put that label on Ryan O’Rourke sofar…

Deamon Hunt got significant games last season and will probably get more this year with Mermis gone as the 1st Iowa injury callup option… he’s starting his 3rd pro season this year.

Carson Lambos was thrown into the Pro game fire last year with all of the Wild injuries, it was a tough year playing top minutes in his first pro season. This upcoming season will be important to show a big improvement… his draft year was the most impacted by Covid, tons of examples of slower prospect development in that draft class.

Jack Peart – this year will be his first pro season, so we’ll see…

David Spacek – like Lambos he was immediately put into an AHL lineup in his first pro season and struggled, he shined at the World Championships playing against NHLers though…

Kyle Masters – same as Spacek minus the World Championship experience.

This years draft featured 4 Defensemen drafted, Buium will be on the Wild roster in April and likely step into the top4, Adam Kiviharju is a smaller frame player but highly touted…

Spurgeon and Brodin signed longterm (3&4 years) and now Middleton signed for 5 and Faber likely to sign for 8 years and Buium likely signing in April, that allows all of these D prospects time to cook in the minors and spot start Wild games as the 6th defenseman…expect some to also get traded over the next 1-3 years as GMBG uses them as trade currency to plug holes for playoff runs…

CaptainMusky

They focused the last several drafts on forwards and now this year it was D man heavy. Not really a surprise since this draft seemed to be more loaded with D men than other years. Many of these guys will not pan out its just the way it works. You just hope they can be competitive in the AHL and push other players. Some of these guys will or have the chance to do that. 1 or 2 making the NHL after a couple of years is a plus. D takes longer to mature much like goalies.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Deamon Hunt got significant games last season and will probably get more this year with Mermis gone as the 1st Iowa injury callup option… he’s starting his 3rd pro season this year.

I hadn’t yet seen that Mermis was gone. He was fairly dependable in that role. But probably makes no sense to keep a journeyman when there are prospects.

CaptainMusky

I thought I read that the Wild will be on channel 45 next year.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I’ve been hoping for Ballys and Comcast to figure this out quickly. I just moved and still decided to go with Comcast as my internet and TV service. If they dont come to a deal I will probably drop my internet and hope the Wild have a solution. I also miss Ballys for my Outdoor shows.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought I read that the Wild will be on channel 45 next year.

That’s the rumor…not sure how I feel about it vs a solid streaming option (do those even exist?)
    It just feels like Channel 45 isn’t big enough for a Pro Sports Franchise? I mean their “spokesperson” is a guy dressed up as some sort of mad scientist? Who else watches Channel 45 OTHER than during the State Hockey Tourney?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve been hoping for Ballys and Comcast to figure this out quickly. I just moved and still decided to go with Comcast as my internet and TV service. If they dont come to a deal I will probably drop my internet and hope the Wild have a solution. I also miss Ballys for my Outdoor shows.

Comcast internet is still one of the better solutions to get (its rock solid and fast in my area) but their TV service is a complete money pit and the Wild was the only thing keeping me from dropping it…if they move to a streaming or OTA solution, I will drop their TV service once my contract is up (to avoid paying the early termination penalty fee)

CaptainMusky

Am I the only one who heard that channel 45 was going to be airing the Wild? Someone posted it here I believe.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Comcast internet is still one of the better solutions to get (its rock solid and fast in my area)

I’ve always had great luck with Comcast Internet and its important because I mostly work from home. I moved from the great State of Wisconsin to Rogers MN so was surprised to see they had xfinity. But for TV Ballys is the main reason I go with it. If they dont come to a deal I will see myself going to Youtube TV.

CaptainMusky

Get Directv stream and problem solved.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Am I the only one who heard that channel 45 was going to be airing the Wild? Someone posted it here I believe.

It was hinted at a few pages ago by somebody, nothing official…

CaptainMusky

It was hinted at a few pages ago by somebody, nothing official…

That somebody I think was the same person who hinted about the parise and suter buyouts before they happened. It was something huge I think.

Ice Cap

Isn’t Amazon also in the mix for broadcasting hockey games on their streaming service? I think they bought a minority share of Bally’s. Amazon streaming has been solid for me. But any streaming service is only as good as your internet. I will only subscribe to any extra package if it’s reasonably priced. I’m done allowing cable and streaming services to fleece me in order to watch any sport. Twenty bucks a month for the Bally’s app was about as far as I’m willing to go.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Amazon is owed $115 million from Diamond Sports Group which operates Bally’s. Here is an article that highlights the recent ongoing court issues associated with DSG and Bally’s.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/diamond-sports-group-seems-poised-to-emerge-from-bankruptcy-after-really-good-day-in-court/ar-BB1iYLC5?apiversion=v2&noservercache=1&domshim=1&renderwebcomponents=1&wcseo=1&batchservertelemetry=1&noservertelemetry=1

The Dallas Stars just announced that they will stream all their home games for free in their own regional market next season.

I am personally not a fan of streaming live sports. I have a very high online speed already and it still comes out choppy, blurry, and fuzzy. Thursday Night Football on prime is so bad I completely gave up watching it all together. I am hoping local sports stay on an actual channel.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Money talks and teams will adopt whatever solution pays the most at the sacrifice of the fans until they’ve had enough and no longer support the product…if its an OTA solution, lets just hope the signal is strong enough…if its a streaming solution, hopefully the company doing it can handle the capacity…

CaptainMusky

Wow Gim that is really surprising. I have the fastest DSL I can get and RARELY have any issues that that is with 2 tvs streaming, 2 boys playing all the games, etc. We have fiber coming down our street as we speak and its like 500 MBpS compared to my 60 or whatever it is and its only like 10 bucks more.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild Prospect Development Camp starts tomorrow through Thursday, pretty full roster other than Danila Yurov… Then the Tom Kurvers Showcase is typically sometime in early September…

Kids to watch:
    Kiviharju
    Haight
    Buium
    Lambos
    Ohgren
    Heidt
    Stramel
    Kumpelienan
    Peart
    Ritchie
    Lorenz
    Bankier

Here’s the full roster – https://files.constantcontact.com/10f93794401/1367bd7c-8110-48d3-86cc-1f4b43844153.pdf?_gl=1*1oxa98d*_gcl_au*MTI1MTgxNjcwNy4xNzEyNDEyMTAx*_ga*YjE3NTZjNDYtODhjOS00OTFhLTkwODgtYWNkMTM4OTUyM2E0*_ga_14T5LGLSQ3*MTcxOTg2OTQ0Mi4xMy4xLjE3MTk4NzAwMzYuNTkuMC4w

KP
    Hudson, WI

Gim are you using a Chromecast to stream it or on your TV? I noticed last year when I got a new TV that it was night and day difference being directly on the TV.

Ice Cap

Vegas is another team that streams over the air free of all of it’s games. They use Scripps tv. I get Scripps News channel over the air. I think over the air is what I would like to see. It’s free and wherever you are you can always get an antenna to get any of the channels. Even up at the lake I get most channels just using the crappy antenna mounted on top of the RV.

Bally’s app is pretty terrible at streaming. Lots of buffering and the picture goes from $hit to clear HD about twenty times a period.

CaptainMusky

Gim if your performance is as bad as you say get somebody out there ASAP that’s not right.

JoeMX1825
    MN

sad sad day for Hockey fans…. CapFriendly has officially closed down to the public…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

sad sad day for Hockey fans…. CapFriendly has officially closed down to the public…

That’s a huge bummer… I really enjoyed using that site.

So what actually happened?

Viewing 30 posts - 5,701 through 5,730 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.