2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Get Jojo out of your head when it comes to what they do with Yurov. We’ve been over this before last year when you were crying about Freddy or Hartman or whoever vs. Marco. It’s not about rookie prospect vs. vet and who is better. The team will handle the prospect differently and do whatever they think will make Yurov reach his top potential.

Jojo is in my head because he’s the logical top 6 player to replace (if Yurov is capable of handling the spot) You aren’t moving out Kirill, Zuccy, Ek, Boldy or Rossi…

and we’ve seen how Russian prospects in Russia don’t follow any set idea of how an organization wants to develop them or influence on how their KHL team will develop them (Think Philly is happy with Mitchkov being a healthy scratch lately)…it’s pretty much all dependent on the player and when they want to come to the NHL…NHL teams have very little leverage on them as they can head back to Russia whenever they want to and get paid playing hockey in the Motherland…

The smart (or more importantly uber talented) Russian’s know to pay their ELC dues and then cash in on a contract the KHL could never come close to…The latest play seems to be what Kirill did and burn the 1st year ELC at the end of the NHL season, then hopefully have a good year to force a big payday in the 2nd contract or force their way out like Fiala did…

JoeMX1825
    MN

17 months from now is when Kirill is eligible to sign an extension. And they’ll want to know that summer, otherwise he ends up on the trade block. So remainder of this season and next season is their chance to sell him on the infamous Billy G 5 year plan for world domination.

I know, all the more reason to get him over now if we can…

JoeMX1825
    MN

and my “crying” over Rossi not getting an opportunity to play with skilled players seems to have played out well this season. Yes, Rossi got stronger over the offseason, but he’s also been given the opportunity to play a solid chunk of games with talented players (and allowed to make mistakes without worry of being demoted) vs 4th line scrubs…

The Wild brass looks like development geniuses for Rossi’s play this year, but him adding 10 pounds of muscle over the summer isn’t going to solely equate into the success he’s had this year, but opportunity will though…

tswoboda

or force their way out like Fiala did…

Oh ffs stop this. Fiala begged and pleaded for a long term contract and was never offered one, which turned out to be a great move by the Wild. Why try to turn Fiala into a villain?

Jojo is in my head because he’s the logical top 6 player to replace (if Yurov is capable of handling the spot) You aren’t moving out Kirill, Zuccy, Ek, Boldy or Rossi…

This is just the wrong way to approach it. It’s about doing what’s best for Yurov to reach his ceiling. Maybe that’s playing in the NHL, maybe it’s not. Just look what happened with Rossi last year. They’re not making room for a 20 YO Russian prospect who’s never played in NA. If he comes over and forces his way into the lineup then sure, yeah make room. But don’t make moves in the off-season that lock that decision in.

tswoboda

and my “crying” over Rossi not getting an opportunity to play with skilled players seems to have played out well this season. Yes, Rossi got stronger over the offseason, but he’s also been given the opportunity to play a solid chunk of games with talented players (and allowed to make mistakes without worry of being demoted) vs 4th line scrubs…

You’re selective memory is insane… blinded by preconceived notions.

Rossi’s first 10 games this season he was playing with Foligno and Freddy; then added Mojo or Maroon when Freddy got hurt. He was clearly a better player from the very beginning, y’all were calling him the team’s best player. And he was very good from game 1, that’s why he got elevated to play with Boldy and Kaprizov in November.

Last year his most common linemates through the first stint were Foligno and Boldy.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Oh ffs stop this. Fiala begged and pleaded for a long term contract and was never offered one, which turned out to be a great move by the Wild. Why try to turn Fiala into a villain?

I’m talking about once he didn’t get that deal and then actually put together 2 great arb deal years he did what tons of other RFA’s are now doing, take the 1-2 year arb deal and then tell the team he won’t re-sign with them, forcing their way out…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Last year his most common linemates through the first stint were Foligno and Boldy.

You list that as if it’s some sort of “see he played with good players and was terrible” point, those two had absolutely terrible starts to their seasons with and without Marco (Boldy only got points on the PP)…hell, the entire team couldn’t score besides Kirill the first 20 games or so…

Don’t get into the “he earned it” BS…

tswoboda

take the 1-2 year arb deal and then tell the team he won’t re-sign with them, forcing their way out…

You’re assuming and pushing a false narrative. Fiala is on record saying the team never even engaged with him in contract talks. Billy G was on the record in January of his last season saying he knew exactly what he was going to do (trade Fiala). The 2 previous summers Fiala begged for a long term contract and Billy G both made him hold out and then also took him to arbitration. Fiala was never getting a contract offer from the Wild, it was the team’s choice (a great choice!!), not the player’s.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

This is dumb as those two had terrible starts to their seasons (Boldy only got points on the PP)…hell, the entire team couldn’t score besides Kirill the first 20 games or so…

So Foligno and Freddy had dynamite starts to the season this year?? I honestly can’t believe you really want to re-hash that Rossi sucked last year and fight that losing battle you cried about for months last year.

tswoboda

You list that as if it’s some sort of “see he played with good players and was terrible” point, those two had absolutely terrible starts to their seasons with and without Marco (Boldy only got points on the PP)…hell, the entire team couldn’t score besides Kirill the first 20 games or so…

Wait I thought you always said it’s the center’s job to elevate his linemates?!

Oh sorry that’s only when you’re talking about Eriksson Ek being a 3rd liner

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    take the 1-2 year arb deal and then tell the team he won’t re-sign with them, forcing their way out…

You’re assuming and pushing a false narrative. Fiala is on record saying the team never even engaged with him in contract talks. Billy G was on the record in January of his last season saying he knew exactly what he was going to do (trade Fiala). The 2 previous summers Fiala begged for a long term contract and Billy G both made him hold out and then also took him to arbitration. Fiala was never getting a contract offer from the Wild, it was the team’s choice (a great choice!!), not the player’s.

so you’re saying GMBG had a plan not to sign Fiala long term on a huge deal after 23 & 20 goal seasons (shortened by injury and covid) You call that a plan, I call it not being a dumb GM…Fiala basically called&played GMBG’s bluff and had 2 monster prove it to the league arbitration seasons and turned it into a 8 year ticket to sunny LA with his model wife…I bet you GMBG would have a much different answer off the record in terms of he likely hoped Kevin had 2 down seasons those arb years and then took the lower long term offer GMBG was offering…

Getting Faber and him turning into the player he is has definitely numbed the pain of losing the “game breaker” but team’s have proven time and time again, you can fit anybody into your salary cap if you want to…

JoeMX1825
    MN

lol, you ok bro?

Attachments:
    1. triggered.jpg

tswoboda

You call that a plan

Joe, you’re the only one ever talking about Billy G’s plan for world domination. No one else ever talks about #theplan

The GM and coach obviously weren’t high on Kevin Fiala, and never offered him a long term contract, or a contract at all in his last year. Find me some comparable cases where the team took the player to arbitration. Your narrative that Fiala “forced his way out” is like this…

Me, calling my boss into my office: “Hey boss, I just want to let you know that I’m not going to accept the promotion”
    Boss: “We never offered you a promotion”
    Me: “Ok cool, just want to make sure you know I’m not accepting the promotion”
    Boss: “We’re actually transferring you, maybe they’ll give you a promotion”
    Me: “Awesome, tell everyone I didn’t accept the promotion here OK”
    Boss:
    Me: “Have you seen my wife’s Instagram?”

tswoboda

lol, you ok bro?

Haha it’s a slow day and lunch time so I had all the time in the world to dispute the insane things you are spewing today. Thanks for asking though yay

JoeMX1825
    MN

here, i’ll set you over the edge…

1) +/- is the greatest determining factor that a player is valuable
    2) Total Points should determine playoff positioning
    3) Faceoff % is a center’s most important stat

Attachments:
    1. test.jpg

tswoboda

Canuck top-6 centers are now both named Elias, but one is pronounced Elias and the other is pronounced Elias.

Attachments:
    1. test-1.jpg

CaptainMusky

This is certainly gotten entertaining.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the GMBG and Fiala discussions went like this:

Fiala – Billy, I’m looking for a 8 year deal, Fenton believed in me, called me a “Gamebreaker” don’t you believe in me?
    GMBG – I believed enough to give you a 2 year bridge deal, you scored 43 goals the last 2 seasons (yes, 1 was shortened by covid) I think you’re on your way to being the “gamebreaker” but i’m thinking a 6 year deal in the $5aav range is what we’re comfortable with (GMBG on mute – please say yes, please say yes)
    Fiala – That’s not gamebreaker money
    GMBG – (GMBG on mute – $hit) well, we don’t think you’re worth more right now and we’d be willing to bet an arbitrator doesn’t think so as well…
    Fiala – ok tough guy, then i’m gonna take a 1 year arb deal, kick some ass this season and we’ll see if you think i’m a gamebreaker next year (Fiala on mute – ok, i’m going to have to actually try next season)
    GMBG – Sounds good bud (GMBG on mute – god I hope he sucks next year, then that $5aav will look like a great deal to him)

Next offseason

Fiala – Hey GMBG, does 33 goals and 52 assists = gamebreaker to you now?
    GMBG – (GMBG on mute – f’ing prick) well Kev, we think those numbers are inflated a bit due to Kirill the Thrill playing with you on the PP and OT and also being the other teams top priority in stopping, so you’ve been playing against the 2nd tier defenders this season resulting in your inflated numbers…(GMBG on mute – ha, sick burn)
    Fiala – gamebreaker doesn’t agree, why are you giving the Russian kid 8 year offers after just 55 games?
    GMBG – (GMBG on mute – $hit he has a point and we know Kirill wants $9aav) ok, now i’m being honest with you Kev, $5 million x 7 years is all I can afford now and i’ll need to trade away a few guys just to afford it capwise, but we’d love the gamebreaker back…
    Kevin – F you guys, gamebreaker will just take another 1 year Arb ruling and walk next year then…oh and i’ll tell you what teams I want to get traded to, you try a different team and i’ll tell them I won’t re-sign…
    GMBG – (GMBG on mute – $hit) ok, how does LA sound? You’re smokeshow wife will love it there… They’re offering a 1st rounder and a MN college kid that will help with the PR nightmare i’ll have trading away a young explosive offensive player we’ve had so few of the last 20 years..
    Fiala – Deal, enjoy the buyouts Biotch!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Canuck top-6 centers are now both named Elias, but one is pronounced Elias and the other is pronounced Elias.

AND their top defensive prospect who’s only a year away from the NHL is named Elias Pettersson….

CaptainMusky

This is like a damn soap opera and I absolutely am here for this.

tswoboda

Joe you can think all you want and dream up these scenarios but don’t let that distract you from reality. Both the player and GM are on record saying there was no contract discussion after they settled on the 1 year deal days prior to arbitration. Russo has asked him straight up in interviews and he said they knew when they filed for arbitration it was Fiala’s last season in MN.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Joe you can think all you want and dream up these scenarios but don’t let that distract you from reality. Both the player and GM are on record saying there was no contract discussion after they settled on the 1 year deal days prior to arbitration. Russo has asked him straight up in interviews and he said they knew when they filed for arbitration it was Fiala’s last season in MN.

yeah, I have no idea how it went, I just thought it was funny…about as funny as taking GMBG’s word on anything nowadays…

tswoboda

yeah, I have no idea how it went, I just thought it was funny…about as funny as taking GMBG’s word on anything nowadays…

Billy G, Fiala, and Russo all told the same story on that one but I understand it’s not nearly as fun as “instagram model wife forces gamebreaker husband to grow porstar mustache and request trade to LA”

AND their top defensive prospect who’s only a year away from the NHL is named Elias Pettersson….

Lol forgot about him. do you know if he pronounces it Elias or Elias? And Petterson or Petterson?

Ripjiggen

Oh man I missed a whole page and a half.
    How is Fiala doing this year?

CaptainMusky

Kings fans are pissed about him disappearing just like he did here, but has still put up points. Very streaky player.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Lol forgot about him. do you know if he pronounces it Elias or Elias? And Petterson or Petterson?

exactly the same…

JoeMX1825
    MN

tied for 1st in scoring for them…that team as a whole has been a black hole the past month, Doughboy called out his team mates saying they were just playing for personal points, I have a feeling he’s was talking about our boy Kev…and likely PLD

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think he’s going to go the Prince route and just be a symbol…

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Kings fans are pissed about him disappearing just like he did here, but has still put up points. Very streaky player.

It’s going exactly like you would expect lol I still miss him

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-02-01-143305.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 3,211 through 3,240 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.