2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

no Will Butcher talk?

It COULD be a great trade IF he can stay healthy and we get the Will Butcher from his first two season with the Devils vs everywhere else he’s been since…

He should hopefully help the Iowa guys at least…

tswoboda

I’ve been biting my tongue on Will Butcher talk but OK here we go…

He scored at a 45 point pace his rookie year chased

JoeMX1825
    MN

Iowa Wild needs it’s version of a Jared Spurgeon I guess? meh, we traded a ECHL guy for him…

tswoboda

Agree they gave nothing up so the trade is no-lose. I see him as a Mermis replacement, whether that is in the NHL or AHL. I couldn’t figure out why Pitt dumped him other than they must not like paying his big AHL salary with no chance at NHL time?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Agree they gave nothing up so the trade is no-lose. I see him as a Mermis replacement, whether that is in the NHL or AHL. I couldn’t figure out why Pitt dumped him other than they must not like paying his big AHL salary with no chance at NHL time?

with LeTang and Karlsson around for years he had no chance of NHL time as a more “offensive Dman” who can run a PP…he’s basically a Calen Addison who’s rarely healthy…

Our Iowa team needed ANY offensive help…the rookie D corp has had a rough year learning the league…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Might be the wrong place to post this but they cancelled the Pond Hockey Tournament on Nokomis.

Apparently last weekend the ice was fantastic. Complete 180 in less than a week. Its just standing water out there now.

tswoboda

Might be the wrong place to post this but they cancelled the Pond Hockey Tournament on Nokomis.
    Apparently last weekend the ice was fantastic. Complete 180 in less than a week. Its just standing water out there now.

flame

remember how I said I miss winter

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

remember how I said I miss winter

Ya this is really wrecking a lot of events and activities.

tswoboda

Broke the news to my kids when I picked them up from daycare, and I think it was the most mad and sad I’ve seen all 3 of them at the same time.

So we went and skied in the rain to make them feel better jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

crazy Danila Yurov stat I saw posted, he’s currently having the 4th best 20 year old season in KHL history, better than Kirill’s who ranked #6. There are some games played differences between the top 10, but he’s only 5 points behind #1 Vlad Terasenko’s 47 point season and I believe he still has 9 games left in the KHL season…He’ll likely end with the greatest 20 year old scoring season in KHL history…

Marat K’s season last year currently ranks as the 5th best ever for a 20 year old…

tswoboda

Joe is this what you’re referencing? Sorted by total points and also points/game

Worth noting that with Yurov’s late December birthdate he’s doing this in his D2 year while both Kaprizov and Khusnutdinov were in their D3 year. Kuznetsov and Buchnevich were also D3, while Tarasenko and Panarin were D2 like Yurov.

Attachments:
    1. points-per-game.jpg

2. total-points.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe is this what you’re referencing? Sorted by total points and also points/game

yeah, some twitter account posted the total points stat…I referenced the games played differences…his points per game % increased with today’s 3 point game.

it’s tough to draft Russian’s due to their signing uncertainty, but it helps alot when you draft the right ones…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Worth noting that with Yurov’s late December birthdate he’s doing this in his D2 year while both Kaprizov and Khusnutdinov were in their D3 year. Kuznetsov and Buchnevich were also D3, while Tarasenko and Panarin were D2 like Yurov.

How big of a sigh of relief was this season for him based on the extremely limited minutes he got the previous 2 years…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    Last night was a perfect example of how the Wild stack up against even a bubble/wildcard contending team. The game last night from the X had the air of impending doom from the first puck drop, I’ll tell you that.

And the previous 2 games were perfect examples of how they stack up against Cup contenders??

2 of the 4 pucks past Gus, including the game winner you’re referencing, would have missed the net if not for being tipped…

Wrong.

The game-winner was heading directly for the goal to the right of center at about the level of Gus’s mask as he was down in the butterfly. It hit and the front of Faber’s sweater and deflected to the shooter’s right and went in inside the right post. The shot was on goal the entire time. Puck circled in the picture.

The Preads 2nd goal looked on-goal to me, but impossible to say for absolute certain. If it was off target, it was off by inches.

And as for the previous 2 games, yes the Wild played well for a couple, no doubt. So you like the Wild’s chances in a 7 game playoff series against either of those teams?

Last night was typical of what I believe we’d see of the Wild in a playoff series.

Attachments:
    1. Goal001-3.png

CaptainMusky

How big of a sigh of relief was this season for him based on the extremely limited minutes he got the previous 2 years…

I think whats worth noting is that the Wild have 3 of those guys either on their current roster or in the pipeline.

tswoboda

So you post a picture after it gets deflected for the 2nd time to prove that it was on net?? But ignore that it was tipped 20 feet before that jester

And as for the previous 2 games, yes the Wild played well for a couple, no doubt. So you like the Wild’s chances in a 7 game playoff series against either of those teams?

I just think it’s interesting how you only post after losses and the sky is always falling. And if the Canucks actually manage to win the West I would absolutely take that matchup as much as any other they’ve had the past decade. The NHL Playoffs are famously volatile for every team but the Wild and Leafs. Just look at teams like the panthers and Habs in the last few years.

CaptainMusky

Yeah that puck was certainly deflected more than once on the way.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think whats worth noting is that the Wild have 3 of those guys either on their current roster or in the pipeline.

That’s what I meant by with this: “it’s tough to draft Russian’s due to their signing uncertainty, but it helps alot when you draft the right ones…”

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Canucks have been a great 1/2 half story, but the rest of their schedule is pretty tough…The Oilers might never lose again (kinda joking) and have 4 games in hand on the teams ahead of them and I think Colorado is starting to shift into overdrive and will eventually take over 1st in the West. I don’t see the Jets maintaining this pace, but who knows…

CaptainMusky

The funniest thing about the Avs ive read lately is the fact that women are throwing panties and bras on the ice instead of hats for McKinnon LOL

tswoboda

Agree Joe 1st in the West is wide open, but I will always put my money on Colorado – Avs in 3 jester I said this about about a month ago but it’s still true, there’s 7 playoff teams in the West, the 8th spot is up for grabs, and now there’s about 5 teams battling for it.

This Wild season reminds me so much of the Vegas season 2 years ago. They were hammered by injuries and dug a massive hole but I still thought they’d scratch back into the playoffs because they were obviously better than the teams in front of them. In the end they did get hot but still missed playoffs by a couple points.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, the wild could certainly get that last spot if they take care of divisional opponents. They have a pretty easy remaining schedule.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t want them to succeed this year…hear me out

I think this team is coming into their Cup run window starting next season (obviously this depends on Kirill re-signing in 2 years) before this season I was saying their cup run would start after the buyouts, but Faber and Rossi extensions will eat that available $15 million now in 2 years…

This draft has 7 or so players (Elite Centers, Elite Scoring wingers and Elite BIG defenseman with offensive skill) that could fill a need (while on an ELC) this team would still have during that cup run and this is likely the last season where we would have a chance to pick in the top 15 for many years to come…

This year has played out that way (mostly due to injuries)

We’ve seen glimpses of what this team is capable of when their core is healthy, but they are missing the competent bottom 6/3rd D pair guys the great playoff teams all seem to have and it just so happens those are the pieces GMBG will need to replace starting next season..

CaptainMusky

I dont know Joe, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but my stance is always I would rather watch a competitive team and have a glimmer of hope at something special than pray the draft works out. We have a good pipeline already that could help in the next couple years. Im not counting on this draft if it means forgoing a chance and watching playoff hockey here.

tswoboda

I can see both sides of it but I’m always a proponent for trying to win until the chances are basically zero. Right now it really doesn’t matter what anyone wants because it lies solely on the players, so there’s not really an argument on what the team should do… the team can’t really do anything but run out the same roster. The option of a “re-tool” was signed away back in September.

The only tradeable impact player (without dipping into the core) I see is Middleton. Maybe something similar to the Jake McCabe trade last year. Something like Middleton, Duhaime, (2) 5th round picks for a 1st and 2nd ??

JoeMX1825
    MN

I dont know Joe, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but my stance is always I would rather watch a competitive team and have a glimmer of hope at something special than pray the draft works out. We have a good pipeline already that could help in the next couple years. Im not counting on this draft if it means forgoing a chance and watching playoff hockey here.

We’ve seen the data on what they would likely need to do in the last 30+ games to make the playoffs, so highly unlikely they get in, more likely is they get close to getting in and therefore picking in the early teens where the % of your pick being impactful drops significantly…so I would rather get no ribbon vs the green participant ribbon and focus on what can be done to better this team next year and beyond when there are fewer headwinds (hopefully fewer injuries and more capspace)

basically this team has until March 7th to go on an Oiler like stretch and get back into the thick of the payoff hunt otherwise GMBG should sell what he can at the deadline and figure out (by calling them up and playing them) who in Iowa is worth bringing to camp next year. He should also find out who needs surgery and shut them down early so they are ready to go next camp…

tswoboda

so highly unlikely they get in

23% chance per the athletic right now, even after losing last night

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    so highly unlikely they get in

23% chance per the athletic right now, even after losing last night

Their remaining games vs Ducks, Blackhawks and Sharks will likely keep that number floating near the believable level rest of the season…

tswoboda

Their remaining games vs Ducks, Blackhawks and Sharks will likely keep that number floating near the believable level rest of the season…

Their remaining schedule is cooked into that percentage. What’s your point? Is there something you think they can or should do right now to get that 7th pick? Trade Ek Faber Gus and Boldy maybe? That would likely do it

Viewing 30 posts - 3,061 through 3,090 (of 5,782 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.