2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• tswoboda

Video of it.

Not sure how this won’t prompt a little meeting with player safety but consistency has never been the league’s strong suit in these cases, and oh yes, Hall plays for an Original 6 team…

That play will not garner a suspension. Hall hit Mackinnon’s stick, then Mackinnon’s stick hit his own face. Looks horrible the first time you watch it but then watch again and Hall did nothing wrong, it was a freak accident.

You can disagree, and I’m not saying that he should or shouldn’t, but I guarantee that Hall gets no suspension or fine.

slabz

Heading to Vegas this evening for a few day vacation and I see the Wild are a +2200 to win the cup this season, will putting a $100 down on them jinx them? Maybe I should put money on the Av’s instead in hopes it deflates their season instead? FYI, last time I went to Vegas was in 2018 one week before the Vikings played the Eagles for the NFC championship..I may have messed that one up for the whole state..

CaptainMusky

You can disagree, and I’m not saying that he should or shouldn’t, but I guarantee that Hall gets no suspension or fine.

I agree with you. This video is a perfect example of how dang fast things happen with these players.

CaptainMusky

last time I went to Vegas was in 2018 one week before the Vikings played the Eagles for the NFC championship..I may have messed that one up for the whole state..

Then you better damn well not make a repeat of that or the IDO hockey rubes will revolt at your house.

tswoboda

I see Dumba getting a $7.5X5 or maybe even 6. Too much $ for too many years for a average defenseman who happens to be a good locker room guy.

I just don’t see how Dumba can ask for or be paid more than Brodin. Contracts are based off Comps and Brodin has similar or better offensive production than Dumba the last 3 seasons. Brodin’s on ice numbers are better than Dumba across the board. Time on ice is basically even. Defensive metrics are hard to quantify but anyone with a pulse knows Brodin is more valuable defensively.

Brodin signed 7 years x $6m and if you adjust for cap going up $2m that would be roughly $6.15m. I think $6.5m is the absolute ceiling for Dumba if he signs long term. Anything shorter and the AAV should go down.

Ripjiggen

Yeah I don’t see a suspension on that hit. Awkward hit but nothing malicious or intent. It was originally called a 5 minute and refs reduced to 2 minutes for interference which is questionable, but they can’t reduce it to nothing via the dumb rules. His stick breaking over his face was bad however.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hall hit Mackinnon’s stick, then Mackinnon’s stick hit his own face.

Hall’s shoulder makes clear contact with Mckinnon’s chin, that Mckinnon’s stick was sandwiched in there does not matter according to the rule book. And the hit is borderline late and Mckinnon is not in possession of the puck.

No suspension is warranted, but a pretty clear late hit to the head that draws blood gets nothing but a 2-minute minor? Shows how inconsistent enforcement is. I would not like the chances of a Wild player pulling off the same hit and getting 2 minutes.

Attachments:
    1. Hall.png

Ripjiggen

Watch it in real time it wasn’t late.
    He kept his elbow down and caught Mac looking over his shoulder.
    Mac tried to jump around hall and got his stick caught. There own coach even said it was not dirty and that it was the right call.

tswoboda

Late hit?? Watch it in real time. Mackinnon tried to put the puck through Hall’s attack triangle and jump around him… how is that a late hit?

I think a huge reason fans are constantly calling for suspensions is they watch the slow-mo replay over and over and over. Just watched the video Grouse shared and it shows the hit like 5 times in slow-mo but never once in real time. That will make every single hit look late and avoidable.

tswoboda

Rip beat me to it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Player Safety group is all over the place in their decisions, look at what the Buffalo goalie got recently, was he given games soley based on the player rolling his ankle in the boards and is out indefinately? If he didn’t get hurt would he still have got the games suspension?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Heading to Vegas this evening for a few day vacation and I see the Wild are a +2200 to win the cup this season, will putting a $100 down on them jinx them? Maybe I should put money on the Av’s instead in hopes it deflates their season instead? FYI, last time I went to Vegas was in 2018 one week before the Vikings played the Eagles for the NFC championship..I may have messed that one up for the whole state..

I was in Vegas last week and some buddy’s and I put down 400 bucks at +1800 to win the cup. Long shot for sure but I’d do it if I were you at +2200.

tswoboda

The Player Safety group is all over the place in their decisions, look at what the Buffalo goalie got recently, was he given games soley based on the player rolling his ankle in the boards and is out indefinately? If he didn’t get hurt would he still have got the games suspension?

Take the time to understand the system and you won’t think they’re all over the place. Dell would have got something, maybe just a fine or 1 game, but since Batherson was seriously hurt that did affect the length of suspension. The NHL is open about how injuries affect the punishment.

Step 1 is deciding if the hit deserves any suspension. That hit by Dell was obviously reckless and unnecessary and interference. He needlessly shouldered a guy going full speed 2 feet away from the end boards… that’s reckless.

Step 2 is the punishment which takes into account any injury or any previous suspension history and some other factors. Batherson was badly injured Dell was shown to have a history of making that same play.

If they decide in step 1 that the hit doesn’t deserve suspension, then no injury or player history matters. Hall’s hit will not be deemed suspendable in step 1 so the fact Mackinnon is out forever with a concussion won’t matter.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I normally listen to KFAN in the background while working because I just cant stand silence. Well disclaimer I’m also a Packer fan so I’ve had to find something else to listen to this week for obvious reason when you a bitter haha.

The Spittin Chiclets podcast has been a life saver this week! Like others have said the Ryan Carter one is just pure gold. I’ve listened to few of them this week and he is by far the best. The Ambien story and Randy Carlyle story had me about on the floor laughing. I would love to get a beer with Carter.

Ice Cap

Latest scuttlebutt is the Wild, Flames and Rangers are interested in Artturi Lehkonen from Montreal. I guess it’s going to have to be explained to me why the Wild would want a left wing with 5 goals and ten assists on the year.

tswoboda

The Ambien story and Randy Carlyle story had me about on the floor laughing. I would love to get a beer with Carter.

That Ambien story was utterly hilarious, but also pretty troubling at the same time. Ambien is no joke. Robin Lehner had a big Twitter spat this fall and part of it was over how teams handed out Ambien like candy and how bad that stuff can mess you up. Of course the teams and the league denied it and silenced him, but Carter’s story is all the proof I need to know Lehner’s stuff is 100% true.

CaptainMusky

Robin Lehner had a big Twitter spat this fall and part of it was over how teams handed out Ambien like candy and how bad that stuff can mess you up. Of course the teams and the league denied it and silenced him, but Carter’s story is all the proof I need to know Lehner’s stuff is 100% true.

That was tough to read when he brought it up. I fully believe him because why would someone even make it up?

CaptainMusky

Latest scuttlebutt is the Wild, Flames and Rangers are interested in Artturi Lehkonen from Montreal. I guess it’s going to have to be explained to me why the Wild would want a left wing with 5 goals and ten assists on the year.

Let me guess they want Boldy, Rossi and a 1st?

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Take the time to understand the system and you won’t think they’re all over the place. Dell would have got something, maybe just a fine or 1 game, but since Batherson was seriously hurt that did affect the length of suspension. The NHL is open about how injuries affect the punishment.

Step 1 is deciding if the hit deserves any suspension. That hit by Dell was obviously reckless and unnecessary and interference. He needlessly shouldered a guy going full speed 2 feet away from the end boards… that’s reckless.

Step 2 is the punishment which takes into account any injury or any previous suspension history and some other factors. Batherson was badly injured Dell was shown to have a history of making that same play.

If they decide in step 1 that the hit doesn’t deserve suspension, then no injury or player history matters. Hall’s hit will not be deemed suspendable in step 1 so the fact Mackinnon is out forever with a concussion won’t matter.

I will also add that Dell has done this before. Don’t know if he ever received a fine or anything, but this not the first time he has recklessly checked a skater.
    To me the Dell hit was much worse than Hall hit with reguards to actually breaking a rule.
    In reguards to what happened to Mac’s face well you can be the judge of that. Some pics on the old inter web. Ouch.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I like Dumba for the locker room and we need his physicality on the blue line big time, but in all honesty, he’s only good for one or two big hits a game and his defensive skills have not improved since the night he got benched after giving up 3 goals in one period. His offense hasn’t been relevant since 2017 and he isn’t even a presence on the PP anymore.

I also don’t think Fiala is as big of a headache as they make him out to be. After his last benching he actually took full accountability and acknowledged that he was in the wrong and understood the benching. Maybe he’s getting his head on straighter.

I worry that our second line would disappear next year if he’s not on it. Sure Boldy and Rossi together COULD be nice but Rossi didn’t show much during his first cup of coffee in the NHL.

Maybe they could get Dumba to take a hometown deal around $4 mil a year and get Fiala to a multi year around the same as his arbitration numbers came out to since his numbers aren’t stellar so far this season. Not likely but who knows. Rask’s 4 million cap hit come off after this year, and maybe get rid of Greenway, Benn, to open up a little more room for the cap and plug in the young guys.

Ripjiggen

Dumba unlikely to take that big of a pay cut. More likely to be moved. All of it will work itself out in the off season. Until then there is way to much season left to worry that far ahead.

CaptainMusky

Dell has been doing this since his college days. One of these times someone is going to beat the snot out of him.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Dumba unlikely to take that big of a pay cut. More likely to be moved. All of it will work itself out in the off season. Until then there is way to much season left to worry that far ahead.

I know. Just boggles my mind why people are so in love with Dumba. Also didn’t realize we were paying him $6/year already.

Ripjiggen

He’s a goalie they are all nuts…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I know. Just boggles my mind why people are so in love with Dumba.

Because he is a top 4 defensemen with a right shot bomb. They don’t just fall off of trees.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Because he is a top 4 defensemen with a right shot bomb. They don’t just fall off of trees.

You can have a 200mph bomb but it doesn’t mean s%$& if it never hits the net. What good is it doing the team the last 3 years? He’s not noticeable on the PP, it’s not like he’s unleashing it. Wish he would but he isn’t. 2 PP goals in the last 3 seasons. I’m not sure why that part of his game disappeared but it did, and it’s not like he’s great defensively either.

CaptainMusky

Sounds like the Oilers are nearing a deal to sign Evander Kane. Not sure how I feel about this. Its unclear however if he faces any further discipline from the league.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

You can have a 200mph bomb but it doesn’t mean s%$& if it never hits the net. What good is it doing the team the last 3 years? He’s not noticeable on the PP, it’s not like he’s unleashing it. Wish he would but he isn’t. 2 PP goals in the last 3 seasons. I’m not sure why that part of his game disappeared but it did, and it’s not like he’s great defensively either.

Because he is not the main focus on PP anymore and their overall PP has not been great.

Let the oilers have that mess of Kane. Scoring on the PP is not the oilers issues.
    Dude has more baggage than my wife would bring on a month long trip.

tswoboda

Sounds like the Oilers are nearing a deal to sign Evander Kane. Not sure how I feel about this. Its unclear however if he faces any further discipline from the league.

Desperate franchise with desperate GM. Personally I couldn’t care less if EKane is in the NHL as long as he’s not a member of the Wild.

I’m holding to the $6.5m AAV ceiling for Dumba long term. Maybe more if he does hit the UFA market. His offense has been MIA for 3 years, and those are the numbers that get him paid. Someone remind me of this post 18 months from now, or maybe don’t whistling

Ice Cap

Kane is not going to solve anything for the Oilers. He’s only going to add to their problems. McDavid and Draisaitl are wasting the prime of their careers on that Canadian dumpster fire of a team.

I don’t see Dumba taking a paycut he is going to want a raise. Is 500K enough to satisfy him? I see the Wild wanting to lock him down for probably five years. I don’t know who his agent is or if he’s a hard driver or not but I don’t see a raise of 500K being enough to make a agent to happy. And yes his offense has been pretty much MIA but to compound that his leaky defense continues to be a problem nearly every night.

Viewing 30 posts - 2,821 through 2,850 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.