2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• CaptainMusky

I know Gigi is real popular here as an analyst so I attached a link which has an interview with her from The Rink Live. Enjoy! lol

Oh you didnt! LOL

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    I know Gigi is real popular here as an analyst so I attached a link which has an interview with her from The Rink Live. Enjoy! lol

Oh you didnt! LOL

I only watch her musical performances these days…..

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have really enjoyed most of the Athletic’s writers but I just read a piece where one writer answered one fan question for each team on their trade deadline options. In response to a “what do you think the Wild will do” question, this guy responds with, “the way Hartman and Ek have grown the C position isn’t as dire. They should be looking to add a 5-6 defensemen.” Then he mentions possibly bringing Soucy back!?!?!?

I was a big Soucy fan when he was here but I’m not sure he’d crack the top 8 dman with this current roster. Wonder if this guy has even watched a Wild game this season.

tswoboda

If it was a mailbag, then I bet that was Duhatchek. He’s like 90 years old and the only Athletic hockey writer who I never read. Very out of touch.

Carter part of the Spittin’ Chiclets starts at the 2 hr 11 min mark. Make sure to listen to the first 8 minutes though (then skip forward if you want) LOL these guys!

Carter interview did not disappoint. Highly recommend listening if you like laughing. How is he not the full time color analyst?!?! Chiclets also has a ton of other content from the winter classic week. Youtube vids at Billy G’s house, ice fishing with Carter, axe throwing with Mark Parrish, etc. Looks like interviews with Spurgeon and Foligno coming up too.

Interesting clip in the Parrish bit where he was with Boudreau when Suter/Parise were bought out so he asked Bruce if there were issues behind the scenes, and Bruce very VERY sarcastically says “Oh they were problems, I wouldn’t know anything about that”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If it was a mailbag, then I bet that was Duhatchek. He’s like 90 years old and the only Athletic hockey writer who I never read. Very out of touch.

Yes it was. The comments were great. Getting raked over the coals by just about every fanbase for being way off. jester

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins need to hire the Wild’s training staff the way they are getting all these guys back early!

tswoboda

So maybe Addison listened to Deano’s press conference about grit and sandpaper

Ripjiggen

Yeah don’t think that is really his role…. jester

Taylor Hall absolutely destroyed MacKinnon tonight.

Ice Cap

Makar with the game winner again last night. Damn if Colorado didn’t win the jackpot when they picked him up at #4, Dallas passed on him at #3 and wound up with Heiskanen which isn’t bad but he’s no Makar.

Ice Cap

Tony Abbot makes a case for the Wild to pursue Jakob Chychrun. Tony can make a great deal of sense sometimes but he’s reaching on this one imo. The more I think about it the more I think the Wild should just stand pat until the off season.

The Wild Should Get In On the Jakob Chychrun Sweepstakes

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Makar with the game winner again last night. Damn if Colorado didn’t win the jackpot when they picked him up at #4, Dallas passed on him at #3 and wound up with Heiskanen which isn’t bad but he’s no Makar.

I watched most of the Bruins-Avalanche game. They are now 18-1-1 in their past 20 games and have won 17 games in a row at home. Landeskog scored with 37 seconds left in regulation to tie it.

CaptainMusky

Tony Abbot makes a case for the Wild to pursue Jakob Chychrun. Tony can make a great deal of sense sometimes but he’s reaching on this one imo.

It would be sweet to have him, but there is no way they can make room for him without moving someone else out who is under contract for a few years. We only have 12 contracted players next year and $15M in Cap. Adding $5M in to make 13 leaves very little left for the 7 other rostered players we’d have to sign.

tswoboda

It would be sweet to have him, but there is no way they can make room for him without moving someone else out who is under contract for a few years. We only have 12 contracted players next year and $15M in Cap. Adding $5M in to make 13 leaves very little left for the 7 other rostered players we’d have to sign.

I’m sure the premise of the article is that Chychrun is the biggest bargain in the NHL and his contract lasts through the buyout years. So trade for him, move Dumba, and then it’s like you’re paying Dumba < $5 per season. Tony Abbott has a couple decent articles but mostly he’s crazy and a pure believer in the church of analytics… a numbers only guy, I’m sure he loves Curt Kuzins.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Tony Abbot makes a case for the Wild to pursue Jakob Chychrun. Tony can make a great deal of sense sometimes but he’s reaching on this one imo. The more I think about it the more I think the Wild should just stand pat until the off season.

It’s easy to write stories and theorize trades with other peoples money and picks. Chychrun does nothing for me, he’s a left shot defender (we have enough of those) and will command a kings ransom in return (likely a combo of multiple 1st & 2nd round picks and Addison or Boldy). Of course if the dreamed up return of a 1st rounder + Lambos + Khusnidinov or Beckman is what it would take then yes you make that trade, but I think they will demand Boldy or no deal to which GMBG says thanks and moves on….

I actually like the Wild’s position for the next 3-5 years, the only real tough decision will be what to do with Fiala and Dumba, one of them has to go this offseason, there’s no way around it, I think other decisions with Greenway, Kaapo, Sturm will be easier and we have comparable replacement options ready if needed. After that choice is made, you can sort of project out players and/or their replacements moving forward, but as we know, it’s always an ever changing landscape and nothing is certain.

It’s looking more and more likely that Rossi will be able to take over the 2C position next year, that solidifies the roster and frees up money to use towards keeping Fiala or Dumba…

tswoboda

Matt Boldy’s next contract could be an issue – he looks like the real deal and will need to get paid if this is the real Matt Boldy. That’s a good problem to have, but still a problem.

I can’t stop watching this. Dropping him with a 2 hander and then immediately chucking the mitts has me rolling every time.

CaptainMusky

the only real tough decision will be what to do with Fiala and Dumba, one of them has to go this offseason, there’s no way around it. After that choice is made, you can sort of project out players and/or their replacements moving forward, but as we know, it’s always an ever changing landscape and nothing is certain.

As much as it would be unpopular with many fans, I think its Dumba that is gone. We have more depth at D and we need to cut the amount of Cap hit our D Corps takes up. We have good depth in the pipeline for D and you can always get a bargain vet too see what BG did this year with Kulikov, Merrill and Benn. The other guy that I think will not be around is Greenway. I think the Wild see Duhaime filling that role going forward. I just dont see how they can sign him. He isnt going to get a massive pay day, but there just isnt enough $ in the Folgers can and I think Fiala is a bigger need than he is.
    I really cannot believe what some of the Canucks fans think they should get for a JT Miller trade. Some said Boldy, Rossi and at least a first round pick. LOL

CaptainMusky

I can’t stop watching this. Dropping him with a 2 hander and then immediately chucking the mitts has me rolling every time.

Yeah he gave him a healthy whack for sure! I didnt realize he was #2. Its funny how the guy was just skating away and he essentially tugs on the jersey and says “come here”. LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

Matt Boldy’s next contract could be an issue – he looks like the real deal and will need to get paid if this is the real Matt Boldy. That’s a good problem to have, but still a problem.

I see Boldy following a similar path Ek took and take a 2-3 year bridge deal in the $2-$4aav depending on what he does next year (He has to show he can stay healthy for a full season) That contract would then take him to the point of potentially signing a long term deal when the Wild has the capspace to do so, the cap is also projected to jump $5-$7million in that time as well…

GMBG and his cap guys seem to have a good pulse on what’s a good deal and what’s not, some thought the Kaprizov $9aav was an overpay, I don’t hear them complaining anymore and the kid has 4 more years locked up in his prime that will look like a steal moving forward. Same with Ek, Foligno, Hartman, Brodin, etc etc…

tswoboda

GMBG and his cap guys seem to have a good pulse on what’s a good deal and what’s not, some thought the Kaprizov $9aav was an overpay, I don’t hear them complaining anymore and the kid has 4 more years locked up in his prime that will look like a steal moving forward. Same with Ek, Foligno, Hartman, Brodin, etc etc…

I believe the trendy phrase was “He’s holding the organization hostage”. LOL he’s underpaid.

It’s way to early to project out Boldy’s contract, but in this tiny sample size I see him having the potential to blow their salary projections out the window. Tiny sample size, but 0.85 ppg, playing PP1 and OT, averaging 17 minutes per night DOES NOT equate to a cheap bridge deal. It’s way early but if he continues with this play his bridge deal will be closer to a Tkatchuk or Boeser bridge deal (3 x $5m-$7m) than Eriksson Ek. He’s just looked so good that continuing on this pace is very possible.

According to the Nerd Twins (Evolving Wild), time one ice is one of the biggest drivers in salary projections. They project salaries every off season and get within $0.5m on just about every contract in the league… they’re wizards at it. Boldy has averaged 17:04 TOI per game so far. That’s 6th among forwards behind only KK, Zuccy, Ek, Hartman, and Fiala.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The other thing to think about is with the Wild’s caphell the next 3 years, we could be targeted for offer sheets on Boldy or Addison (I beleive they would have accrued enough games to qualify?)

We’d likely get a 1st and 3rd round pick back, but that’s not worth it for Boldy at least…

CaptainMusky

The other thing to think about is with the Wild’s caphell the next 3 years, we could be targeted for offer sheets on Boldy or Addison (I beleive they would have accrued enough games to qualify?)

That would be outstanding. NOT!

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

That would be outstanding. NOT!

yet another reason to NOT have Rossi’s ELC start this year…

tswoboda

I’m 50/50 on whether or not Boldy will be a 10.2c RFA. 10.2c RFAs are not offer sheet or arbitration eligible, i.e. Kaprizov and Quinn Hughes last summer. Comes down to whether Boldy was considered a 19 or 20 year old last season with Iowa.

Ice Cap

I hope Musky is right and it’s Dumba that goes but I don’t see it panning out that way. Fiala has not endeared himself to Evason or BG the way Dumba has. I happen to think Fiala is more important to the team than Dumba based on we need someone other than KK to produce offense so other teams have someone to focus on besides KK. Besides we are long on good D prospects. I’m not going to count on guys like Ek, Hartman, Foligno or even Zuccarello to produce at the same or higher level next year. At least one of these guys are going to have a off year probably more than one.

From all accounts Dumba is a big locker room guy and lest we forget he is the face for social justice basically for the entire league. That shouldn’t count for anything but I guarantee you it does. I think Dumba is getting paid what he’s worth right now at $6 mill. So a home town discount might put him at $7 mill? If his agent plays hardball then he prices himself out of here. I think the money is better invested in Fiala and a center for him and Boldy to play with. But I could be wrong. grin

CaptainMusky

I’m 50/50 on whether or not Boldy will be a 10.2c RFA. 10.2c RFAs are not offer sheet or arbitration eligible, i.e. Kaprizov and Quinn Hughes last summer. Comes down to whether Boldy was considered a 19 or 20 year old last season with Iowa.

Isnt one of the criteria that they have played a minimum of 80 games? Based on that it would be close (considering potential injuries) but if he stays healthy he will play that no problem.

tswoboda

I hope Musky is right and it’s Dumba that goes but I don’t see it panning out that way. Fiala has not endeared himself to Evason or BG the way Dumba has. I happen to think Fiala is more important to the team than Dumba based on we need someone other than KK to produce offense so other teams have someone to focus on besides KK.

This is spot on. Fiala is the hardest player to replace, he’s the biggest talent. But I won’t be surprised to see Dumba extended and both Fiala and Greenway traded. Billy G openly loves Dumba and is openly critical of Fiala and Greenway.

tswoboda

Isnt one of the criteria that they have played a minimum of 80 games? Based on that it would be close (considering potential injuries) but if he stays healthy he will play that no problem.

That 80 game threshold is for 25 year olds, the Carson Soucy rule as we know it. IF they don’t have 80 NHL games by the time they are 25 then they can become a UFA instead of RFA.

10.2c clause is common with college studs who burn a year to sign after their NCAA season. Brock Boesser and Quinn Hughes both fell in that category. It’s confusing with Boldy because he’s like the only drafted college player ever that left as 19 year old and then burned that year to play in the AHL and get 0 NHL games. I think it’s actually the first time that exact situation ever happened.

Just google NHL 10.2C… it’s pretty convoluted but what it comes down to is their age when signing their ELC and how many “pro seasons” they have when the ELC is up. A “pro season” is defined as 10+ NHL games for 18-19 year olds and 10+ NHL or AHL games for 20+ year olds. So if Boldy was considered 19 last season then that wasn’t a pro season. Age has it’s own definition as well, not simply how old they were when they played the game.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Taylor Hall absolutely destroyed MacKinnon tonight.

Video of it.

Not sure how this won’t prompt a little meeting with player safety but consistency has never been the league’s strong suit in these cases, and oh yes, Hall plays for an Original 6 team…

Fiala has not endeared himself to Evason or BG the way Dumba has.

You said it all right there. Fiala clearly has issues playing the way Evason wants him to play and I think BG looks at him as a primadonna attitude without coming up with the goods on a consistent basis. Who’s wearing the A? It ain’t Fiala, that’s for sure.

Ice Cap

I see Dumba getting a $7.5X5 or maybe even 6. Too much $ for too many years for a average defenseman who happens to be a good locker room guy.

Viewing 30 posts - 2,791 through 2,820 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.