2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I think there’s SOME legitimacy to the similar playstyle arguement, but I think it’s more to do with the lack of Physicality and body size than anything else…

There’s a reason why no team in the NHL/AHL/SHL/KHL has 6 starting defenseman that are all smaller in frame & offensively focused players, you need some beef/sand paper/defensive focused players to go with the skill otherwise the other team will take liberties against you the entire game…

Look at our defenders, other than Dumba & Benn, we don’t have anybody else who’s a pita to play against (questionable finished checks, tough cross checks, punches to the back of the head, face wash after whistles, etc)

We might have the most “gentlemanly play” soft defensive squad in the league…

CaptainMusky

Kinda like all the Wild fans that were – blush – oh so shocked – blush – when Frederic didn’t get a call for the hit on Kaprizov….

I dont see those two incidents at all comparable. Frederic clearly made the play to hit Kaprizov. He made NO attempt to avoid it. Checking in hockey is to separate player from puck. Frederic could have just taken the puck because it was nearer him than Kaprizov but chose the hit with Kaprizovs back toward him regardless. The Spurgeon play was clearly incidental. Frederic was intentional.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kinda like all the Wild fans that were – blush – oh so shocked – blush – when Frederic didn’t get a call for the hit on Kaprizov….
    [/quote]

Frederic did get 2 minutes for boarding on the hit, the anger was that there was no subsequent suspension…The Spurgeon play was accidental imo, Dvorak turned his head right into his shoulder as he was skating by and shifted a bit to not run into his own team mate…

Ice Cap

You don’t have to be a defenseman to be a pita to play against. Ek, Foligno sometimes Greenway are all pita’s to play against. Spurgeon and Brodin are pita’s to play against just in a different way. They aren’t going to push you around face wash you or cross check. You just aren’t going to out skate or out position them. They beat you at the game. Dumba will hit some people and he has his heavy shot but he is a defensive liability a couple times a game usually.

Benn has not been terrible and it was nice to see him get a goal the other night he deserved it. Benn has not been knocking too many people around. He knows he can’t afford to get to far out of position or he will get skated around which still happens. The Wild have historically seeked out aging veterans and give them a one or two year deal on the cheap and hope they can squeeze another year or two out of them. Especially if they are hometown boys. Vanek anyone? But that’s when they had no prospects. Now they are prospect rich and it’s time to kick that old habit to the curb. But now because of the cap hit they are forced to play contract games with the young guys which will only delay their development as NHl’ers.

tswoboda

Neither play had any remote chance of suspension, but some fans from the team that had a guy get hurt thought there should be a suspension. That’s how the 2 plays are similar.

By “call” I meant Frederic getting a call from the DoPS. Wild fans up in arms that he didn’t get suspended, when anyone who’s ever watched the NHL knew he wasn’t getting anything for that. Similar to any logical fan knowing there’s no chance Spurgeon was getting a suspension for that incidental contact on Dvorak.

If you buy the “similar play style” excuse, then why did they play Benn over Addison when Spurgeon was hurt through December? It would have been super easy to plug Addy into Spurgeon’s spot, but instead they completely rearranged the D-pairs to make Benn fit. They are going to play Benn over Addison throughout the regular season, and give fans whatever excuse is convenient at the time. The excuse will likely involve the words grit, toughness, sandpaper, pro, and aggressiveness. Apparently some fans are buying it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’d buy the excuse of similar playstyle having SOME influence on their Benn/Addison decision over the thinking that they are somehow purposely “withholding” play time for Addison to diminish his next contract demands…

tswoboda

The point is they have shown through their actions (I believe actions over words) that Benn will play over Addison regardless of who they are filling in for. The brass has their mind made up that Benn is the 7th defenseman, and Addison is the 8th. Benn is going to play before Addison, and it’s clearly not based on merit – so there has to be some other reason(s).

Anyway, enough trying to help you guys see through their BS. Carts was on chiclets yesterday, so I have some listening to catch up on… should be a doozy!

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9tY3NvcmxleXMuYmFyc3Rvb2xzcG9ydHMuY29tL2ZlZWQvc3BpdHRpbi1jaGljbGV0cw/episode/MjY1NjZlMzYtN2QwZC00NzYzLTg4MTQtNjRkYmJlZmQ0YTNm?sa=X&ved=0CBQQz4EHahcKEwjA8Mfy48_1AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQLA

CaptainMusky

By “call” I meant Frederic getting a call from the DoPS. Wild fans up in arms that he didn’t get suspended, when anyone who’s ever watched the NHL knew he wasn’t getting anything for that. Similar to any logical fan knowing there’s no chance Spurgeon was getting a suspension for that incidental contact on Dvorak.

Well, I have watched thousands of NHL games and played the game, as well as have you, and I certainly thought there was a chance he would get suspended for that play at the very least get a call. The intent of a legal check is to separate the player from the puck. Otherwise its interference if said player is not possessing it. Kaprizov did not have possession of the puck and Frederic 100% could have just taken the puck without any contact but intentionally chose to take out Kaprizov instead.

CaptainMusky

I’d buy the excuse of similar playstyle having SOME influence on their Benn/Addison decision over the thinking that they are somehow purposely “withholding” play time for Addison to diminish his next contract demands…

I agree with this as well. You have to remember that Addison is BG’s guy. He purposefully made a trade to get him. I dont think they would hold him back from playing if it wasnt without a reason which I firmly believe they want the beef in the lineup vs what Addison can do. We clearly see this kid has so much upside and he should be playing over Benn if it were merely based on putting the most skill on the ice. It isnt about that and BG has even openly admitted it in the past that the lineup didnt have enough grit in it. Granted that was like a year ago and we have more size at the forward position than we had then, but still as a whole the D is on the smaller/less physical side and really at a disadvantage if Benn isnt in the lineup.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The point is they have shown through their actions (I believe actions over words) that Benn will play over Addison regardless of who they are filling in for. The brass has their mind made up that Benn is the 7th defenseman, and Addison is the 8th. Benn is going to play before Addison, and it’s clearly not based on merit – so there has to be some other reason(s).

Well, you pointed out the likely other huge factor in that Addison can be sent down without Waivers…if they put Benn on waivers and lost him, could they easily find a comparable vet defenseman that’s ok playing the 6th/7th defender role and has a good repore in the lockerroom? Might be the lesser of all evils for GMBG & Staff to just to move Addison back & forth? sucks for Addison, but best for the team overall in the grand scheme of things…

I look at Rossi in a similar light in that he would be an obvious improvement over Gaudreau, but it makes more organizational sense to slide his ELC this year…not the best for the player (although you can argue playing a top role in Iowa might be more beneficitial given his past 12 months) but there’s a team/organizational reason for it…

CaptainMusky

Fletcher commented today about Giroux that it will be “his decision” on what happens with him at the deadline. I have to think he will wave his NTC to go to a contender.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Fletcher commented today about Giroux that it will be “his decision” on what happens with him at the deadline. I have to think he will wave his NTC to go to a contender.

They’ve lost 13 in a row, he’s probably calling other GM’s himself…

CaptainMusky

They’ve lost 13 in a row, he’s probably calling other GM’s himself…

Ha! Wouldnt doubt it either.

tswoboda

It’s not about IF Giroux will go, it’s about WHERE. Guys have different motives for where they want to play, and he has the right to pick the exact team he’ll allow a trade to. Last year Taylor Hall basically said Boston or no one.

CaptainMusky

Looks like Tortorella might get a shot at full time head coach since he was added to the staff in Philly yesterday. Man that franchise has been a dumpster fire lately. I dont even remember who the coach was before Yeo.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s not about IF Giroux will go, it’s about WHERE. Guys have different motives for where they want to play, and he has the right to pick the exact team he’ll allow a trade to. Last year Taylor Hall basically said Boston or no one.

While that’s true, the team he wants to go to also must have the capspace means to take his contract on…I mean if Giroux said he wants to go to Vegas would be pontless when they will be forced to unload players just to get cap complaint for the playoffs with their full team…

and speaking of the Golden Knights, why do I get the feeling that Eichel’s rehab will magically conclude when the playoffs start ala Kucherov?

CaptainMusky

Carter part of the Spittin’ Chiclets starts at the 2 hr 11 min mark. Make sure to listen to the first 8 minutes though (then skip forward if you want) LOL these guys!

Ice Cap

Exactly. The greatest of all motivations is who is most poised to win a Cup. I wonder if players like Giroux view the Wild in the same category as Colorado, Vegas, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay when it comes to Cup consideration. Not that the Wild have the where with all to sign him but it would be interesting to know exactly how the Wild are viewed by their peers. Would you be surprised to hear Giroux say I would really like to play for Minnesota if something can be worked out? shock

CaptainMusky

and speaking of the Golden Knights, why do I get the feeling that Eichel’s rehab will magically conclude when the playoffs start ala Kucherov?

That will happen 100%. Cant say I blame them, but since the precedence has been already set why not?
    Brodin and Talbot practicing. Merrill and Sturm on Covid list. Here we go again.

tswoboda

Nah they got that covered with Pacioretty having surgery recently. Eichel will come back sometime mid-Feb to mid-march and then Patches will come back for playoffs unless another big contract like Stone gets hurt again.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Merrill and Sturm on Covid list. Here we go again.
    [/quote]

Welcome back Addison and Rask…

So AFTER the allstar break, players that go in protocol means they are symptomatic correct?

CaptainMusky

Yeah we wont have to bicker about Addison not being in the lineup for a bit LOL

tswoboda

Hopefully these are the only 2 until AFTER the all-star break when the rules change and only symptomatic guys have to test…(not knowing if Merril or Sturm are symptomatic)

I almost wish the Wild had an outbreak when the league was shut down anyway. Now they’re at a disadvantage since most of the team doesn’t have a recent positive test, they will have to test when crossing into Canada. Teams that had outbreaks will be clear sailing for the rest of the season.

Yeah we wont have to bicker about Addison not being in the lineup for a bit LOL

Oh I’m sure I’ll find something to act like a child about LOL

CaptainMusky

Teams that had outbreaks will be clear sailing for the rest of the season.

Are they no longer testing players who recovered from Covid?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I almost wish the Wild had an outbreak when the league was shut down anyway. Now they’re at a disadvantage since most of the team doesn’t have a recent positive test, they will have to test when crossing into Canada. Teams that had outbreaks will be clear sailing for the rest of the season.
    [/quote]

and it’s mostly our big guns that haven’t had it yet (i’m knocking on my wooden desk right now)…Omicron will likely hit everyone though in the next months timeframe…

tswoboda

Are they no longer testing players who recovered from Covid?

No random NHL testing after the all star break, only symptomatic players will be tested BUT players also get tested to cross the border if they don’t have a recent positive test. Anyone who tests positive will go to protocol.

Something like 65% of the league has had a positive test this season, so those players don’t need a negative test to cross into Canada. I’m not sure if they need one coming back into the US.

Ripjiggen

Merrill and Sturm on Covid list. Here we go again.

So AFTER the allstar break, players that go in protocol means they are symptomatic correct?
    [/quote]

Not so fast…Sounds like Brodin will probably go Friday. Which is awesome.

CaptainMusky

Daemon Hunt scored his 11th goal tonight to lead all WHL defenseman! All while missing several games to injury this season. He could be the first of our stable of young D prospects to push for a Wild spot in a few years.

Apparently he attempted the “Michigan” late in the game up 8-1. Kid has guts!

CaptainMusky

Not so fast…Sounds like Brodin will probably go Friday. Which is awesome.

That is going to be awesome. Miss watching him effortlessly skate backwards faster than over half of the NHL skates forwards.

Viewing 30 posts - 2,761 through 2,790 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.