2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• JoeMX1825
    MN

On the bright side, after this road trip we have a heavily tilted home schedule in March (12 of 16) games and then 1 last tough 4 game roadtrip (Carolina/Washington/Nashville/St Louis) in the first week of April before its back to a heavy home schedule (8 of 12) for the rest of April/Regular season…

Ice Cap

One last comment on Carter than I’ll let it die. I accept no excuses for his racist attitude towards Russo. I don’t care who Tweeted him what. Wasn’t Russo’s fault. Carter exposed himself for who he is. Ask yourself if Russo would have said “It sounds all black to me” would it be just Russo trying to keep his name in the news cycle? Would The Athletic considered it to be any press is good press? Um, hell no. Russo would be looking for a job.

As far as the Wild and depth. They have prospect depth but the depth scoring on the team has tapered off some. Hartman and Foligno both have career highs I believe in the first half of the season. You knew that wasn’t going to continue. We now need guys like Sturm and Bjustad to find the net more often. Hopefully Boldy and Fiala can keep it rolling and keep the focus off KK and Zuccarello. And as Joe points out the D corp is suspect for depth. If Kaapo hits a wall instead of being one it could spell real trouble.

CaptainMusky

Ask yourself if Russo would have said “It sounds all black to me” would it be just Russo trying to keep his name in the news cycle? Would The Athletic considered it to be any press is good press? Um, hell no. Russo would be looking for a job.

We all know why that is and it would happen in nearly any conceivable scenario you could imagine. That’s just the way it is. Right, wrong or otherwise.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Lou Nanne was on this morning’s Beyond the Pod podcast and he was convinced the Wild should go after Christian Dvorak in Montreal and that the Wild could afford his $4.45aav the next 3 years AND re-sign Fiala by just trading Dumba… I just don’t see anyway that’s possible…

Mileski tried to correct him on not having the capspace, but Louie was having no part of it…I think a move like this also blocks Rossi next year unless the plan would be to demote Hartman to the 4th line? (I don’t see that?)

JoeMX1825
    MN

One last comment on Carter than I’ll let it die. I accept no excuses for his racist attitude towards Russo. I don’t care who Tweeted him what. Wasn’t Russo’s fault. Carter exposed himself for who he is.

Russo made it sound like Anson achnowledged that to him privately, but not publicly which irked Russo…

tswoboda

The race thing from Anson Carter was garbage, and it’s a joke that he or TNT never issued any sense of an apology in the aftermath.

But Wild fans really gotta get over his depth takes. Yes he’s wrong. But he’s just trolling you for attention. National reporters in other sports like Stephen A Smith and Colin Cowherd have made a lot of money doing exactly that. They make these stupid controversial takes and the fans just eat it up go nuts over it. It’s getting him all kinds of attention, so of course he’s going to keep it rolling.

tswoboda

Why in the world would the Wild want to trade for Victor Rask 2.0 right when they are finally getting out of Victor Rask 1.0’s contract. Dvorak is Rask, Rask is Dvorak. If they want that kind of player, just re-sign Rask to a league minimum contract this summer… He’ll be happy just to get an NHL contract. At best he’ll get a $1m offer from bottom feeders like the Coyotes or Senators.

I’m not sure Lou truly comprehends the salary cap since he never had to deal with one.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Why in the world would the Wild want to trade for Victor Rask 2.0 right when they are finally getting out of Victor Rask 1.0’s contract. Dvorak is Rask, Rask is Dvorak. If they want that kind of player, just re-sign Rask to a league minimum contract this summer… He’ll be happy just to get an NHL contract. At best he’ll get a $1m offer from bottom feeders like the Coyotes or Senators.

I’m not sure Lou truly comprehends the salary cap since he never had to deal with one.

I have to disagree on this take, Dvorak is not Rask…Dvorak was having a good start to the season before Spurgeon of all people put him on IR…He’s a solid 2C (56% faceoff percentage) on a good contract and was burried for his career in Arizona until the Canadians traded for him to replace Kotkaniemi this year…now he’s burried again on a terrible team…

I agree that Louie is out there on this take, but Dvorak is a good player, even his great aav just wouldn’t work for the Wild moving forward…

tswoboda

Dvorak is one of the most overrated players in the league. Half point per game player who’s defense is fine, but nothing special. For reference, Freddy Hockey is a half point per game player this year who plays good defense. Dvorak is an ok bottom 6 center on a good team who’s only been a top 6 center on bad teams. Media went crazy with attention on him as a trade target last summer, but I just don’t see it.

I’m not big into these analytic player cards, but I think it does give a glimpse into different strengths of a player’s game. Just had a peak at Dvorak’s and it’s… not good. Also, it takes into account 3 seasons so the numbers aren’t just cratered by playing on a terrible Habs team this year.

Attachments:
    1. dvorak.png

tswoboda

Khusnutdinov just scored a goal assisted by Andrei Kuzmenko. Kuzmenko is #2 in the KHL scoring and a 26 year old flashy scoring winger. He also played 1 year with Kirill at CSKA. He’s likely the #1 free agent target from outside the NHL, so I wonder if the Wild have any interest in trying to sign him as a potential Fiala replacement. With Kaprizov as the face of the franchise, it has to give the Wild at least some chance at signing KHL free agents.

Also just noticed the KHL is not covered by ESPN+ anymore… no shocker there.

CaptainMusky

Khusnutdinov just scored a goal assisted by Andrei Kuzmenko. Kuzmenko is #2 in the KHL scoring and a 26 year old flashy scoring winger. He also played 1 year with Kirill at CSKA. He’s likely the #1 free agent target from outside the NHL, so I wonder if the Wild have any interest in trying to sign him as a potential Fiala replacement. With Kaprizov as the face of the franchise, it has to give the Wild at least some chance at signing KHL free agents.

I dont know a thing about that dude, but any idea as to what sort of contract he would command? As we know the cupboard isnt real full.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Kaprizov, Boldy, Rossi back to back to back Calder winners?? How cool would that be?! Unlikely I know but not impossible.

CaptainMusky

Kaprizov, Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt back to back to back to back Calder winners?? How cool would that be?! Unlikely I know but not impossible.

fixed it for you

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>
    Kaprizov, Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt back to back to back to back Calder winners?? How cool would that be?! Unlikely I know but not impossible.

fixed it for you

I guess Kaapo actually has a chance this year too. If he gets more time the next few weeks (and maintains his performance) he’ll be a real contender in the race. Think the voting has ever come down to two players from the same team?

tswoboda

It won’t happen, but I would love nothing more than the Calder to come down to Big Kahk and Michael Bunting. 25 and 26 year olds each in their 3rd NHL season. That would probably give all the Karpizov Calder crybabies a stroke.

The last 2 Russians I remember coming over without an ELC are Shipachyov and Gusev. They each started at $4.5m AAV so I guess Kuzmenko is probably too expensive for the Wild. I see lots of chatter of him to the Blackhawks, which makes sense since they are the absolute best organization at landing overseas free agents.

CaptainMusky

I guess Kaapo actually has a chance this year too. If he gets more time the next few weeks (and maintains his performance) he’ll be a real contender in the race. Think the voting has ever come down to two players from the same team?

That would be an interesting scenario for sure, but I cannot think of a time where that would have happened before. There are 2 in the running this year both on the Red Wings. Seider and Raymond.

tswoboda

That would be an interesting scenario for sure, but I cannot think of a time where that would have happened before. There are 2 in the running this year both on the Red Wings. Seider and Raymond.

The year Matthews won it Willy Styles and Mitch Marner both scored 60+ points so I bet they were finalists or at least top 5. Laine scored a ton of goals that season so I’m sure he was runner up.

Matt Murray was still Calder eligible the year after he won the cup as a starter jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dvorak is one of the most overrated players in the league. Half point per game player who’s defense is fine, but nothing special. For reference, Freddy Hockey is a half point per game player this year who plays good defense. Dvorak is an ok bottom 6 center on a good team who’s only been a top 6 center on bad teams. Media went crazy with attention on him as a trade target last summer, but I just don’t see it.

I’m not big into these analytic player cards, but I think it does give a glimpse into different strengths of a player’s game. Just had a peak at Dvorak’s and it’s… not good. Also, it takes into account 3 seasons so the numbers aren’t just cratered by playing on a terrible Habs team this year.

His entire NHL career has been on arguably the WORST teams in the NHL each season and he’s mostly been 2C on those teams so his wingers have been middle 3… I’m not saying he’s a huge difference maker, but he’s a solid 2C signed at a very good aav, it’s why he was so sought after this offseason before Montreal hit the panic button and overpaid to scoop him up after they were offer sheeted by Carolina…He was heavily rumored to come to the Wild to potenitally fill our center need…

CaptainMusky

SO here I am sitting and I get an email from the Wild Hockey Lodge stating my payment has processed. I was like WTF did I order from there. Scroll to the bottom of the email to find its a Fiala Heart throb T-shirt. Apparently one of those drunken purchases. LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

SO here I am sitting and I get an email from the Wild Hockey Lodge stating my payment has processed. I was like WTF did I order from there. Scroll to the bottom of the email to find its a Fiala Heart throb T-shirt. Apparently one of those drunken purchases. LOL

haha! wear that one with pride!

tswoboda

His entire NHL career has been on arguably the WORST teams in the NHL each season and he’s mostly been 2C on those teams so his wingers have been middle 3

Just flat out not true. Coyotes made the playoffs in 2020 and knocked the Predators out of the play-in round. Year before that, 1 spot out of the playoffs. Last year they finished 5th in the West, 1 spot out of the playoffs. Not saying they were ever good, but calling them the “WORST” before this season is some massive hyperbole. Your wingers take is wrong too… He mostly played with a combination of Taylor Hall, Phil Kessel and Connor Garland in 2020 and Phil Kessel and Clayton Keller in 2021. Oh and his most common D on the ice both seasons was the Chychrun/Goligoski pairing. So saying he didn’t get to play with good players couldn’t be farther from the truth. He only played with Arizona’s best players.

I know the Wild have been in on Dvorak since Fenton was around… I’ve paid attention to him because of that, and that’s why I know he sucks. The media loves to call him a “solid centerman”, so I can see fans are fooled into thinking he’s a good player. He is not.

I’m not saying he’s a huge difference maker, but he’s a solid 2C signed at a very good aav

For someone who’s spent the better part of a year claiming Eriksson Ek is a 3rd liner, this is a sizzling hot take.

At least we know JEEK is elite defensively and has proven he can bury pucks from the crease. What is something Dvorak is actually good at? Anything? His main strength seems to be the media calling him “solid”.

tswoboda

You can get those from the Hockey Lodge?!?!?!

Well done, drunk Captain.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

You can get those from the Hockey Lodge?!?!?!

Well done, drunk Captain.

LOL, I had no idea honestly that I bought it. I purchased a bunch of things like this. A dyson vacuum cleaner was the most spendy though.

tswoboda

Aaaaaannd, they’re gone. Found them on the website but says only a limited quantity produced and they are out of stock.

CaptainMusky

Aaaaaannd, they’re gone. Found them on the website but says only a limited quantity produced and they are out of stock.

Dangit!

CaptainMusky

FYI, Russo just confirmed that Boldy can be offer sheeted on Twitter. Someone replied to his recent story and he said he can because he is a 3rd year pro. The only way he couldnt be offer sheeted is if he hadnt played 10 games.

Ice Cap

FYI, Russo just confirmed that Boldy can be offer sheeted on Twitter. Someone replied to his recent story and he said he can because he is a 3rd year pro. The only way he couldnt be offer sheeted is if he hadnt played 10 games.

Not good. Teams will be all over him knowing the Wilds financial woes. A lot of the tough decisions might be made for BG. If Boldy gets offered sheeted out of here and Fiala prices himself outta here Dumba survives again and the Wild go about five years backwards. Perfect!

CaptainMusky

Not good. Teams will be all over him knowing the Wilds financial woes. A lot of the tough decisions might be made for BG. If Boldy gets offered sheeted out of here and Fiala prices himself outta here Dumba survives again and the Wild go about five years backwards. Perfect!

It would be the total MN Sports trifecta.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ha! That was my question to him and LaBrun! I owned a Skeeterzx225 when I created my Twitter account )

So that means GMBG will likely want to sign him to an extension as soon as he’s allowed to ahead of the offersheet window, I think that’s January 1st 2023 since it’s the last year of his current deal???

CaptainMusky

Ha! That was my question to him and LaBrun!

LOL. I tweeted him before but he never replied. He obviously has so many mentions he could never keep track. It was a while ago though that I asked him.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,751 through 3,780 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.