2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• Ripjiggen

Yeah don’t see the Flower trade unless a goalie is being sent out.
    To me it’s pretty obvious what this team needs to have a shot this year and I’m not sure they can swing that.
    I guess we will see what happens.

CaptainMusky

We’re all here for the ride. What the over/under pages this thread will hit by the time their season is done? 200?

Ice Cap

Thanks for the link to the shirt Musky. Maybe I’ll send one to Jackie!
    Just got done reading on NHL.com where they speculated about the Wild being a possible landing spot for Flower. If the Wild feel Talbot and Kakonen can’t take them to the promised land than this is not the year to go all in.

Which raises a question. Are they good enough to take them to the Cup?
    I’ll guess over 200 pages.

CaptainMusky

Which raises a question. Are they good enough to take them to the Cup?
    I’ll guess over 200 pages.

We are definitely aware of being on the wrong end of a hot goalie in the playoffs. Id have more faith in Kahkonnen then Cam I guess at this point, but a rookie in the playoffs is a big ask.

tswoboda

Flower feels like a lateral move, adding a 3rd average goalie to an already very average goalie tandem. Not sure what the gain is there, other that reputation? Kahkonen is still a rookie and still waivers exempt so he would go down to Iowa.

Big Kahk has been the better goalie lately but I’m not betting against Talbot after playoffs last season. He was very good in the playoffs. Talbot had a rough stretch mid season last year as well, so I have full faith he will bounce back down the stretch. It would take more than Flower for the Wild to upgrade in goal.

Ice Cap

I agree that Talbot will bounce back and he would be relied on in the playoffs. But you have to give Kaako his time in the net right up to the playoffs to keep him sharp and Talbot some rest. I see the Bruins are laying a a$$ kicking on the Avalanche right now. 5-1 with twelve minutes left in the third.
    Charlie 13 chipped in with a goal #12 on the year.

Ice Cap

Another scribe makes a case for bringing Rossi up now. Makes sense in a lot of ways.

Marco Rossi Is the Best Trade Deadline Upgrade the Wild Can Make

CaptainMusky

I agree it makes sense, but I just dont see BG doing it. I am sure he will get called up, but like we’ve said burning that first year is probably not something BG is willing to do. Certainly cannot argue with his stats. Seeing how Boldy has been shot out of a cannon since getting called up sure makes us wonder what Rossi could do.

tswoboda

Another scribe makes a case for bringing Rossi up now. Makes sense in a lot of ways.

Joe Bouley (the writer of this article) and Tony Abbott are the only writers thumping the “bring Rossi up” drum. They do a podcast together. Tony Abbott articles are all heavily based off stats and analytics and yet he is basing his Rossi stance off a prospecting model that essentially says “if you put up points in juniors, you will eventually put up points in the NHL”. Those 2 write these articles like it’s a given that Rossi would come up and just automatically start producing like Boldy has. The kid only got 2 games (on PP1 and with good linemates) but for those 2 games it was wildly evident that Rossi and Boldy are currently on different levels.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I do wish we could push the chips all in for this season, but I don’t think one rental player is enough to push this team over the edge. I don’t think I’m ok with giving up two or three of our top prospects or a couple first rounders to get a guy that MOST LIKELY won’t get us a cup. We are going to need those prospects over the next three seasons. Hopefully most of them turn into quality NHL players. I just don’t know if it’s worth selling off part of the farm this year.

On the Rossi idea, do playoff games count against his 9 or 10 game allowance or is it just regular season games?

CaptainMusky

I do wish we could push the chips all in for this season, but I don’t think one rental player is enough to push this team over the edge. I don’t think I’m ok with giving up two or three of our top prospects or a couple first rounders to get a guy that MOST LIKELY won’t get us a cup. We are going to need those prospects over the next three seasons. Hopefully most of them turn into quality NHL players. I just don’t know if it’s worth selling off part of the farm this year.

On the Rossi idea, do playoff games count against his 9 or 10 game allowance or is it just regular season games?

Yes, those games count too, which is a bummer. It would have been nice to have him in the playoffs.

Regarding our prospects. There are a lot of them in the system now and there is no way we are going to be able to keep them. So you have to look at which ones you target down the road to fill opening holes and move the others for more draft capital or a trade. Our amount of D prospects will be a dang log jam in a few years unless something changes with our current team like trading Dumba.

Ripjiggen

If not this year then when?
    On pace for a franchise record in points I believe. Are easily one of the top 3 teams in the top heavy west.

I mean what is the bar then to go all in. I mean if they don’t do it this year it will almost be impossible to do it the next three.

CaptainMusky

I mean what is the bar then to go all in. I mean if they don’t do it this will almost be impossible to do it the next three.

100%

JoeMX1825
    MN

There’s ZERO chance we could afford BOTH Boldy’s and Rossi’s 2nd contracts starting the final two years we have a $14.5 million caphit from the buyouts…ZERO

It will be damn near impossible to re-sign (or match an offer sheet) just for Boldy alone unless BOTH Fiala & Dumba are traded away for picks.

I think GMBG will add Rossi to the playoff roster and keep his final 7 games as an insurance policy injury replacement or if the team is on the brink of elimination and needs a jolt…

2-3 years from now we’ll also need to replace Foligno/Hartman/Greenway as we’ll need their capspace for the 2nd contracts of the next wave of core players taking over (Boldy/Rossi/Addison) then you’ll need to pay Kaprizov $11-$12+ aav in 4 years…

CaptainMusky

There’s ZERO chance we could afford BOTH Boldy’s and Rossi’s 2nd contracts starting the final two years we have a $14.5 million caphit from the buyouts…ZERO

It will be damn near impossible to re-sign (or match an offer sheet) just for Boldy alone unless BOTH Fiala & Dumba are traded away for picks.

I think GMBG will add Rossi to the playoff roster and keep his final 7 games as an insurance policy injury replacement or if the team is on the brink of elimination and needs a jolt…

Weren’t we discussing Boldy as a potential bridge deal? I think that might make sense, but the dollars still have to work regardless of length.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Weren’t we discussing Boldy as a potential bridge deal? I think that might make sense, but the dollars still have to work regardless of length.

yes, but his 2 year bridge deal is looking more and more like $6+aav as he keeps scoring and looking like a future stud.

GMBG could convince him to take the lowest 2 year bridge deal possible with the understanding that he could be offered a monster 8 year deal once the buyouts are done…

Ice Cap

KK will be what 29 when his contract is up? If the Wild aren’t real contenders at that time I don’t see how we keep him here.

Ripjiggen

I am not thinking 4 years from now.
    F$&@ I might be dead. jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

good point, after the last 2 years, we all might be…

Ice Cap

Thought I was dead up on Red Lake last week. Rode out that storm Friday night. We had a 8″ snowdrift inside the door of the house and the heater wouldn’t keep up the wind was blowing so hard all day into the early morning hours. Truck wouldn’t run Saturday morning the engine compartment was totally hard packed with snow and the battery was froze. Not much fun. shock

Ripjiggen

Right I can’t comprehend KK next contract yet.

Ice Cap

Oh it will be here faster than we all think and there will be a 150 page thread about it with all of us experts knowing what will happen before it does! grin

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Oh it will be here faster than we all think and there will be a 150 page thread about it with all of us experts knowing what will happen before it does! grin

he can technically sign it in 3 years… that will be the key to if he wants to stay here or not, if he does, he’ll sign the 8 year extension (only the Wild can offer him 8 years) asap, if he doesn’t, then there’s reason to worry….

Ice Cap

I was wondering how soon they could start contract talks. As I said before much of it will depend on where this team is positioned at the time contract talks begin. KK wants a Cup (which player doesn’t) but players of his caliber almost feel more deserving and if he doesn’t see it happening here he moves on. I think he has a no trade clause years four and five so he will pick where he wants to go if he does or wait for free agency.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I agree with everyone that this is as close as we’ve been to being a stanley cup contender. I just don’t think one rental player get’s us a cup. FL and COL are better than we are, even with a Pavelski, or Giroux, and we more than likely will have to play St Louis in the first round, and we all know how those games go. If you think you can lose a couple D prospects (which you’re right, we do have a lot of), and maybe a draft pick, I guess you do it. I just don’t think it’ll be enough.

wormdunker

It is kind of hard to believe this D core can win a cup, no matter what is up front. Size Matters. Last game Spurgeon, as skilled as he is, got overpowered in the crease and allowed an easy goal. He was blown away and had no power to lift a stick. Body position and stick awareness aside, he is small. To think Addison is a possible add is just tough. Great players but not what I think great Playoff players are. When big players play big, in playoffs when the rule book changes, small guys on the back end are in trouble.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It is kind of hard to believe this D core can win a cup, no matter what is up front. Size Matters. Last game Spurgeon, as skilled as he is, got overpowered in the crease and allowed an easy goal. He was blown away and had no power to lift a stick. Body position and stick awareness aside, he is small. To think Addison is a possible add is just tough. Great players but not what I think great Playoff players are. When big players play big, in playoffs when the rule book changes, small guys on the back end are in trouble.

I think it’s more of a question if our small D can survive multiple playoff series?

Tom schmitt

Boldy is not small, Rossi is small, Boldy is 6’2″ 200 + pounds.

Ice Cap

I agree with everyone that this is as close as we’ve been to being a stanley cup contender. I just don’t think one rental player get’s us a cup. FL and COL are better than we are, even with a Pavelski, or Giroux, and we more than likely will have to play St Louis in the first round, and we all know how those games go. If you think you can lose a couple D prospects (which you’re right, we do have a lot of), and maybe a draft pick, I guess you do it. I just don’t think it’ll be enough.

This is the conclusion I’ve come to as well . Wild would have to pull what Montreal did last year and this is highly improbable even though the Wild now are better than the Montreal team was last year. Everyone looked past Montreal and the Canadiens caught them by surprise. The Wild are good enough no one is going to look past them.

Maybe BG should take a run at Chycrun. Not thinking for this year but beyond. At 6’2 220 he’d look nice on the blue line. And I think he has two years left at a reasonable aav.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

This is the conclusion I’ve come to as well . Wild would have to pull what Montreal did last year and this is highly improbable even though the Wild now are better than the Montreal team was last year. Everyone looked past Montreal and the Canadiens caught them by surprise. The Wild are good enough no one is going to look past them.

Yeah and we don’t have anything close to Carey Price on our team.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,661 through 3,690 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.