2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• CaptainMusky

Sweden just beat Canada. Should they be ashamed? I dont think so, but the Canadians will be pissed.

tswoboda

Perhaps including Germany with Austria in my comparison was a stretch

Yeah that was bad.

I just watched a video of a youth hockey practice in Slovakia that was watching the shootout on the bench and when they scored the winning goal in the shootout those kids went berserk. It was great.

That video was so cool. That’s exactly what the Olympics is all about! I’ll always remember watching the 2010 gold medal game… we were in Minot, ND at a BWWs and the place was about half USA fans and half Canada fans. It was a riot.

CaptainMusky

Sweden just beat Canada. Should they be ashamed? I dont think so, but the Canadians will be pissed.

Apparently McBain made a mistake that led to a goal, but I havent seen the video. Read some tweets. People were asking how he even made the team. Hmm.

CaptainMusky

That video was so cool. That’s exactly what the Olympics is all about! I’ll always remember watching the 2010 gold medal game… we were in Minot, ND at a BWWs and the place was about half USA fans and half Canada fans. It was a riot.

100%. I remember when the US beat Canada for what I think was their first WJC back in 2010? and I was going nuts. They were up by 3 goals and I said “worst lead in hockey”. Canada stormed back to tie it, but we still won. Awesome game. These games where they are representing your nation at a global stage just hit different.
    There is talk about a World Championship of hockey next year and they want to have a “North American” team. I dont like that idea at all.

tswoboda

There is talk about a World Championship of hockey next year and they want to have a “North American” team. I dont like that idea at all.

That’s the World Cup and would be an NHL run event as a consolation prize for the players not going to the Olympics. The World Cup is a lot better than the World Championships, the NHL guys all actually play so it’s a true best on best. Last time they did it right before training camp but this time they’re talking of potentially doing it in February.

Team North America was freaking awesome last time… do you not remember it? The game against Team Sweden was electric! Team NA is all the kids from Canada and US that don’t make either Canada or US. Last time it was McDavid, Mackinnon, Eichel, Matthews (pre-NHL), Gaudreau, etc. Their games were pure speed and rush offense, zero defense or dump ins lol.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I really want to see a full USA squad asap, World Cup or whatever, since the last time we put out a legit USA team (2014 Olympics??) USA has added a ton of studs to the NHL (Mathews, Eichel, Hughes Boys, etc)

CaptainMusky

Team North America was freaking awesome last time… do you not remember it? The game against Team Sweden was electric! Team NA is all the kids from Canada and US that don’t make either Canada or US. Last time it was McDavid, Mackinnon, Eichel, Matthews (pre-NHL), Gaudreau, etc. Their games were pure speed and rush offense, zero defense or dump ins lol.

I know I watched it, but man, I slept and drank a million beers since then so I dont remember it.

CaptainMusky

I really want to see a full USA squad asap, World Cup or whatever, since the last time we put out a legit USA team (2014 Olympics??) USA has added a ton of studs to the NHL (Mathews, Eichel, Hughes Boys, etc)

That’s my thinking too. This could be the best crop of hockey players we have ever had at any one time and it would be sad to not see them compete together.

tswoboda

Olympics 2026 will be the best crop of centers and defense in their prime that USA has ever had.

Matthews, age 28
    Eichel, age 29
    Jack Hughes, age 24
    Charlie McAvoy, age 28
    Adam Fox, age 27
    Then sprinkle in wingers like Gaudeau, Zegras, Robertson, Boldy, Tkachuks.

CaptainMusky

Olympics 2026 will be the best crop of centers and defense in their prime that USA has ever had.

Matthews, age 28
    Eichel, age 29
    Jack Hughes, age 24
    Charlie McAvoy, age 28
    Adam Fox, age 27

That is an impressive list. I hope they do get to participate in the Olympics, but it would be nice to have them more than once every 4 years.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Matthews, age 28
    Eichel, age 29
    Jack Hughes, age 24
    Charlie McAvoy, age 28
    Adam Fox, age 27

2023 Draft has a bunch of USA Studs as well…ever since they revamped the US Development Program 15 or so years ago, they’ve been pumping out stars just about every year…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Crosby got #500 last night, Ovi 6 away from passing Jagr at #766!!! (Jagr is still playing pro at age 50 in Europe!!!!!)

JoeMX1825
    MN

After reading all of the stories about what Guerin might/might not do, there’s one aspect of this team that scares me when you think about them making a long run in the playoffs, will their soft D be able to physically survive multiple tough series? That has to keep Guerin up at night… how long will the slight frames of Spurgeon, Goligoski, Brodin to some extent hold up? Yes, they are all good at avoiding hits, but we all know the playoffs turn the dial upto 11. You know the opposing teams will just dump the puck in and put as many hits on them as possible…I think I posted the physical stats last season of the Conf finals teams and they all had HUGE defenseman, something like a 6’2″ 215+ lb average…our top 4 have only played a few games all together this year sofar…

You can make the same argument of the Avalanche soft D corp…

Go lookup the size of the defensman for the Golden Knights, Blues, Flames, Predators rosters…Yikes!!!

Ripjiggen

Not much they can do about that now.
    They are not trading for a top 4 D.
    Guessing that’s the reason they prefer Benn over Addison right now.

Kind of my point with Addison being trade bait. Just makes you smaller than an already small group.

CaptainMusky

Not much they can do about that now.
    They are not trading for a top 4 D.
    Guessing that’s the reason the prefer Benn over Addison right now.

Right and Addison is also hurt. Not sure what his injury is aside from pride after that blunder.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yeah, i’m just saying that’s really the only concern when you look at the roster…no quick fix as we have Spurg & Brodin on long term deals,but over the next few years we could put some beef next to them…

Ripjiggen

How? They will not be able add top 4 D men that are not current prospects.
    Think about what the top four looks like in maybe a year or two. No Goligoski or Dumba. Leaves some big holes to fill with no money to fill them.
    Addison is our next available. I have concerns with other teams adding talent and fixing there holes.
    I just don’t see the Wild making moves at the deadline unless there is an injury.

CaptainMusky

I have concerns with other teams adding talent and fixing there holes.
    I just don’t see the Wild making moves at the deadline unless there is an injury.

Im leaning this way too. In that piece about BG he commented heavily on “chemistry” and the quality of the guys in the lockerroom. He is very aware he doesnt want to interrupt that. I think a guy like Pavelski or Giroux wouldnt cause an issue, but what to players think after they have battled all year and get demoted? I dont think Gaudreau would be a good fit on the 4th line. He is what he is, but elevating the center between Boldy and Fiala might make the depth worse?

Ripjiggen

No way they get either of those two unless they are on a very tiny list and the wild can pull off a trade like Boston did with Hall last year.
    Too many teams in my mind that are more all in than the wild with more attractive locations or teams.

CaptainMusky

No way they get either of those two unless they are on a very tiny list and the wild can pull off a trade like Boston did with Hall last year.
    Too many teams in my mind that are more all in than the wild with more attractive locations or teams.

True, but those are really the only 2 guys that I think would make sense for the wild to target because they would be a significant upgrade. Any of the other names (aside from Miller) I dont know if they are any better than what we have.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve lost all faith in Sturm, he does nothing for me…those cleanly lost draws he’s had lately (that luckily didn’t cost us) kind of tell the story about him, he’s a decent 4th liner, but when he’s called upon, he doesn’t answer…Gaudreau has always been a very fringe NHL 4th liner, career AHLer, he’ll get playing time ONLY because he’s a Center and Deano’s buddy. My guess is if you put ANY Iowa Wild center on the Boldy/Fiala line they would have the same production Gaudreau has had just by being on the ice with them at the same time…Deano raves about his defensive play, but I don’t know what he’s looking at, Gaudreau is soft on the boards and in his defensive coverage is suspect (just focus on him tonight for a few shifts)

Every player in that lockerroom quietly knows Gaudreau is playing over his skill level on that line, they all know an upgrade would make a positive difference…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

True, but those are really the only 2 guys that I think would make sense for the wild to target because they would be a significant upgrade. Any of the other names (aside from Miller) I dont know if they are any better than what we have.

Correct and that’s how GMBG would get to the decision of not doing anything…if it doesn’t move the needle enough, it’s not worth it…

CaptainMusky

Michkov just scored his 20th goal (37 pts) in 20 games. I dont care that its the KHL, that is a tremendous accomplishment for a kid who is what 16?

tswoboda

Michkov just scored his 20th goal (37 pts) in 20 games. I dont care that its the KHL, that is a tremendous accomplishment for a kid who is what 16?

Michkov hasn’t played in the KHL for a few months. He’s been in the MHL, juniors.

CaptainMusky

Michkov hasn’t played in the KHL for a few months. He’s been in the MHL, juniors.

Oh! Didnt know that. I just saw the video and thought it was the CSKA team jersey he had on.

JoeMX1825
    MN

After what i’ve seen of Bedard lately, he’s the clearcut #1 pick. Mitchkov will be lucky to get drafted #3 behind Fantilli due to his KHL contract baggage……

tswoboda

Yeah the KHL, VHL, and MHL teams all wear similar jerseys, kinda like the the MN & Iowa Wild. I think the SKA MHL Jerseys say 1946 or something like that on it.

20 goals in 20 games is still an accomplishment, even in that league and especially for a 16 year old! Michkov is going to be a star.

tswoboda

After what i’ve seen of Bedard lately, he’s the clearcut #1 pick. Mitchkov will be lucky to get drafted #3 behind Fantilli due to his KHL contract baggage……

Michkov will go to whatever GM has the most job security. So many of them are cowards and won’t spend a top 5 pick on a player that might not be there until after they’re fired.

CaptainMusky

He may even fall further. He’s signed through 2026 that’s a long time to wait and many of the teams at the top of the draft desperately need to improve now. We’ll see, but the 2023 draft should be fun.

Ripjiggen

Here we go. Love these 6 o’clock starts.

No need to watch Olympic hockey anymore. To soon Gim? lol

Viewing 30 posts - 3,511 through 3,540 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.