2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• JoeMX1825
    MN

GMBG needs to sit down with the Fiala camp after the season and find out what his plan is. If he wants to stay in MN, he’ll likely need to accept a fair deal or slight discount on an extension and then for sure somebody like Dumba needs to be traded. If he says he intends to test FA after next year, GMBG has no choice but to trade him…

Ripjiggen

Exactly. It is up to Fiala if he wants to stay with this group. I think it is going to be tough to fit him in salary wise either way.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Exactly. It is up to Fiala if he wants to stay with this group. I think it is going to be tough to fit him in salary wise either way.

He’s also now married to a smokeshow model wife who most likely wants to live on a sunny coast…

I think GMBG could make an extension $7aav or under work, but it will mean no Dumba and perhaps no Kulikov and Talbot next year…

Ripjiggen

Looks like Teams USA Men went 3-0 in the preliminary round and earned a bye into the quarterfinals.

Some regular posters on here didn’t seem to think that a team primarily composed of NCAA players could compete with foreign teams stacked with non-NHL pros. coffee

You may have spoken a little to soon eh Gim?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nice that the Avs finally lost, Preds too!

Avs get the Golden Knights with Eichel tonight too!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Quite upset about it this morning. Coffee tastes bitter. Shootouts are fu**ing gay when you get past the regular season or the preliminary round.

Its very possible the women’s gold medal game is tied after regulation/OT tonight so that could easily be decided by a shoot out too. Wonder what the response would be if game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals did a shoot out to decide who won that.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Quite upset about it this morning. Coffee tastes bitter. Shootouts are fu**ing gay when you get past the regular season or the preliminary round.

Its very possible the women’s gold medal game is tied after regulation/OT tonight so that could easily be decided by a shoot out too. Wonder what the response would be if game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals did a shoot out to decide who won that.

it’s just different and always been that way for the Olympics, nobody complained when Oshie scored 4 times in the 6 round 2014 Olympics shootout game vs Russia…or the USA Woman’s Gold Medal game last Olympics…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it’s just different, nobody complained when Oshie scored 4 times in the 6 round 2014 Olympics shootout game vs Russia…

If I remember correctly, that was only a preliminary game, not a medal qualifying game where the loser is done.

Shoot outs in the regular season or the preliminary round are fine. Shoot outs in elimination or playoff games are bogus.

I’ve already stated my opinion on this now, so there’s no reason to continue to beat a dead horse here. Coffee is still bitter.

tswoboda

Gim, I’m with you that shootouts suck. I think they suck at any time other than to end a practice or maybe in young youth tournaments. But right now it just sounds like you’re blaming the US loss to Slovakia on the shootout rule.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    it’s just different, nobody complained when Oshie scored 4 times in the 6 round 2014 Olympics shootout game vs Russia…

If I remember correctly, that was only a preliminary game, not a medal qualifying game where the loser is done.

Shoot outs in the regular season or the preliminary round are fine. Shoot outs in elimination games are bogus.

I agree, but the Olympics have always been this way and it has created some famous moments…I don’t think most hockey fans would remember Peter Forsberg’s gold medal goal if it was a rebound or deflection in OT, but they all remember the famous shootout goal…Joselyn Lamouroux’s Gold Medal winning shootout goal, etc etc

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gim, I’m with you that shootouts suck. I think they suck at any time other than to end a practice or maybe in young youth tournaments. But right now it just sounds like you’re blaming the US loss to Slovakia on the shootout rule.

Truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of shoot outs in general, at ANY level. I think it takes away from the team element of hockey and relies on individual skill by one player or the goalie. However, during the regular season or in his case, preliminary rounds, the game can’t end in a tie so there’s really no other option. There has to be a way of ranking teams for the qualifying/medal round.

I was not a fan of Team USA beating Canada for gold in the women’s final in a shoot out during the last Olympics either, even though the team I wanted to win did. That result could easily bear out tonight again. This is something that occurs every four freaking years. Deciding the outcome with a shoot out is a terrible way for it to end.

I think you guys would be singing a different tune if the Wild were eliminated in game 7 of a playoff series via a shoot out. Then the pitchforks would come out lol

JoeMX1825
    MN

IF the NHL decides to keep the shootout, I wish they would switch to the Olympic rules and allow repeat shooters after the first 3 don’t decide it…The Rangers/Bruins game last night went 9 rounds, they started picking the big D when it gets that late…The Marek Malik goals only happen once every decade or so….Having guys like Kaprizov continue to shoot would keep most fans interest…

CaptainMusky

Shootouts are dumb. Its like ending a basketball game with a 3 pt or dunk contest.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think most agree that adding an additional 3-5 minutes to the 3-3 OT would be the best solution and likely end 99% of the time with a winner…I think the question then asked is what to do about the 1% of games that don’t?

There’s also been a slight trend in OT strategy lately to purposely try and tire players out while maintaining posession and getting a line shift completed. This used to be more of a spur of the moment situation (risky bouncing puck at the blueline, player getting forced out by the defender, player gets in trouble and passes all the way back to the goalie) but now alot of teams are purposely skating the puck out of the offensive zone to do it with no intention of trying to score… just something to watch for as it can lead to boring keep away hockey that’s not entertaining…

CaptainMusky

When I see players skate the puck back out of the offensive zone in OT its generally to regroup and allow players to change from a long shift. You dont want to be on the ice for more than 45 seconds in OT at 3 on 3.

tswoboda

I think you guys would be singing a different tune if the Wild were eliminated in game 7 of a playoff series via a shoot out. Then the pitchforks would come out lol

I’ve said about a dozen times in this thread that I think the shootout should be banned from the NHL. Only thing I’ll say is kids absolutely love shootouts so I think they have a place in youth hockey.

Do you think we didn’t want the USA men’s team to win?

JoeMX1825
    MN

BUT the NHL has never decided playoff games that way, the Olympics ALWAYS have… like I said it’s just different, just like the ice size used to be different…all they had to do was score in OT and we wouldn’t even be talking about it…

Ripjiggen

Shouldn’t the question be more about the US strategy of taking mostly college kids. Back to back Olympics of them not making it to the semis.
    Complain about the shootout all you want, But bottom line they didn’t score or even register a shot on a 5 on 3. Had another PP with less than 10 minutes in regulation. They Let Slovakia keep the game close and in the end choked the game away.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m done with this topic. Let’s move on.

CaptainMusky

Im not that broken up about the loss to Slovakia. Its not like losing to Germany or Austria anyway in my book. They pump out more talent than Germany, though Germany is certainly gaining traction at a fast pace.

tswoboda

Germany almost won the last Olympics… Took Russia and Kirill to OT in the Gold Medal game.

Ripjiggen

Slovakia was every bit as good as the US in this game. 17 year old Juraj Slafkovsky was a stud for Slovakia.
    Like I said US may want to rethink their strategy not having medaled since 2010.

Do you believe in miracles?
    No no I don’t. Well not in 42 years anyway. jester

CaptainMusky

Germany almost won the last Olympics… Took Russia and Kirill to OT in the Gold Medal game.

Right, but the majority of those players are now in the NHL.

CaptainMusky

Nice article in the Athletic from Lebrun about Guerin and strategy leading up to the trade deadline. Pretty much cements everything we have been saying about him. I did find it interesting that if a move were to be made he would prefer to do it sooner than later.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Right, but the majority of those players are now in the NHL.

Assuming you’re talking about Germany… That’s not true at all.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nice article in the Athletic from Lebrun about Guerin and strategy leading up to the trade deadline. Pretty much cements everything we have been saying about him. I did find it interesting that if a move were to be made he would prefer to do it sooner than later.

I think it’s because we have cap space to use right now vs most having to wait until the deadline to acrue as much as possible, go after your guy now vs wait and likely get into a bidding war or see what scraps are left 30 minutes before deadline…

CaptainMusky

The biggest ones that come to mind like Seider, Draisatl, Stutzle, Guebauer, etc are.

CaptainMusky

I think it’s because we have cap space to use right now vs most having to wait until the deadline to acrue as much as possible, go after your guy now vs wait and likely get into a bidding war or see what scraps are left 30 minutes before deadline…

It was partly that, but moreso the fact that BG believes its better to get the player here early to get acclimated. Being a former player who was traded twice near the deadline he realized it and agreed with Rutherford’s approach having worked under him in Pitt.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

The biggest ones that come to mind like Seider, Draisatl, Stutzle, Guebauer, etc are.

Yeah none of those guys played in the Olympics. Drai and Grue were in the NHL and Stu and Seider were like 16 years old.

CaptainMusky

Yeah none of those guys played in the Olympics. Drai and Grue were in the NHL and Stu and Seider were like 16 years old.

Perhaps including Germany with Austria in my comparison was a stretch, but I did say their talent pool was growing fast. A loss to Austria would be very bad regardless of who we put on the ice. Slovakia not so much. I just watched a video of a youth hockey practice in Slovakia that was watching the shootout on the bench and when they scored the winning goal in the shootout those kids went berserk. It was great.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,481 through 3,510 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.