2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• JoeMX1825
    MN

IF he’s signed to an offer sheet it’s likely in the $6.2aav range that would give the Wild a 1st & 3rd round draft picks that might be more than GMBG could get if he traded him outright? The Wild can also sign Fiala’s 1 year 10% raise arbitration number for next year and spend next season trying to figure out a long term deal…
    i’d still like to get confirmation that Boldy can’t be offer sheeted, because if he could, you could pretty much guarantee some team will do it with the Wild so tight to the cap the next 3 years…

Ice Cap

IF he’s signed to an offer sheet it’s likely in the $6.2aav range that would give the Wild a 1st & 3rd round draft picks that might be more than GMBG could get if he traded him outright? The Wild can also sign Fiala’s 1 year 10% raise arbitration number for next year and spend next season trying to figure out a long term deal…
    i’d still like to get confirmation that Boldy can’t be offer sheeted, because if he could, you could pretty much guarantee some team will do it with the Wild so tight to the cap the next 3 years…

So how does this 10% raise arbitration deal work? Is this something on the table from the offseason arbitration the Wild took him to? They can sign him now to a one year contract 10% over his arbitration number? If so it’s a no brainer.

Also after reading Russo’s Athletic article this morning Evason gushed about Talbot, Dumba and Gudreau. Not a peep about Fiala.

tswoboda

So how does this 10% raise arbitration deal work? Is this something on the table from the offseason arbitration the Wild took him to? They can sign him now to a one year contract 10% over his arbitration number? If so it’s a no brainer.

It doesn’t. There’s no 10% raise and arbitration has nothing to do with any of that. Honestly I have no clue where Joe picked any of that up but none of it’s accurate.

Wild need to offer Fiala a qualifying offer before free agency begins… the offer will be 1 year and the salary that he made this season, $5.1 million. Fiala will decline it and then he begins an RFA when free agency opens. He can be offer sheeted during FA. Fiala may elect to file for arbitration, but the vast majority of arbitration cases never make it to the court room. Arbitration is where the team and player submit what they think the salary should be with supporting evidence and an arbitrator picks a number they think is fair.

There is no random or automatic 10% raise in arbitration. That is completely made up and off the wall.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I got my salary wrong (had Dumba’s $6aav on the brain) that led to the wrong increased QO number I stated, they could offer him an increased QO to show some good faith. My point was that if Fiala is offer sheeted (it would then make GMBG’s decision a bit easier, he either matches it and moves money around to afford it or he doesn’t and gets the draft comp back)
    If he’s not offer sheeted, GMBG can submit the $5.1 QO, play the Arb back and forth game and sign Fiala to 1 more year at a likely modest raise and he has all season to figure out what to do with him before he loses him to FA.

tswoboda

If he’s not offer sheeted, GMBG can submit the $5.1 QO, play the Arb back and forth game and sign Fiala to 1 more year at a likely modest raise and he has all season to figure out what to do with him before he loses him to FA.

The qualifying offer comes before the offer sheet. Fiala has to decline the qualifying offer before he can receive an offer sheet from other teams. Go read capfriendly.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I know how it works, but obviously struggling to type it out from my phone before a morning coffee…

It will play out a specific way that Wild mgmt has likely already whiteboarded a hundred times, the Wild card is the possible offer sheet but that then forces a yes/no decision and then deal with it moving forward…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wow, watching the Avs totally dominate the red hot Dallas Stars at Home… if I was Sakic i’d put all my chips in for this season…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like Teams USA Men went 3-0 in the preliminary round and earned a bye into the quarterfinals.

Some regular posters on here didn’t seem to think that a team primarily composed of NCAA players could compete with foreign teams stacked with non-NHL pros. coffee

brandmoney

Wow, watching the Avs totally dominate the red hot Dallas Stars at Home… if I was Sakic i’d put all my chips in for this season…

Although the Avs are a relatively young team, I honestly think their championship window is a lot smaller than what people say.

Kadri has played amazingly this season and should be in the Hart conversation, but is gone after this year. I doubt he ever lives up to what he’s going to be paid, though, and is due for heavy regression next year.

Mackinnon has 2 years left on the most team-friendly contract in the entire NHL. He’s due for a payday. If he was paid what he’s worth, I’d guess he’d get $15-18 mil aav. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a $9-$12 mil hit though.

If you add the contracts of Makar, Landeskog, and Rantanen you get $25.25 million, and add Mackinnon’s incoming contract, you basically have half of your entire salary cap locked up in those 4 players. If they do end up adding Giroux from Philly, I can’t see him staying more than one year with his current $8.275 million cap hit.

If I’m Colorado, I’m doing everything in my power to win a cup this year. Value of every player on that roster goes up next year with a cup win, and they’ll be able to get draft capital for some of those guys.

I’m still not sold on their goaltending, though. Elite defense can make anyone look good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I’m still not sold on their goaltending, though. Elite defense can make anyone look good.

Yes, their goaltending will likely be there downfall… there’s tons of rumors they are trying to get Fleury and possibly Giroux as well for a all chips in run this year. They have their core of 5-7 guys locked in the next 2 years, but no goalie…

CaptainMusky

Isn’t giroux in the final year of his deal?

Ice Cap

As would I. I don’t know if they can figure out a way to get both Fluery and Giroux but more power to them if they can make it work. Kuemper has been playing better for them as of late but find it hard to convince myself he’s a Stanley Cup caliber goaltender. Just like the Wild it’s hard to predict what the Av’s might do but right now barring major injuries that team looks like the team to beat.

That being said I still look at the Blues as the Wild’s biggest obstacle to advancing.

CaptainMusky

I dont know how these guys gather their data and calculate the stanley cup odds, but I think we would all agree that the Avs are the cream of the crop in the West, yet the Wild have the highest % chance to win the Stanley Cup. The games have to be played for sure, but the Canes are a legit contender and the Wild held their own against them. It got a little dicey there at the end, but Talbot came up big.
    No let down tonight against the Red Wings. There was talk that the Wild might bring up that big guy they just traded Hammond for the Jets game to take some heat off Foligno. He’s basically just a penalty machine and fights, but he isnt even a good fighter. That Dillon has been getting into fights almost every game. He fought Jamie Benn the other night too.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

As good as the Avs are I’m still worried about getting past the Blues in the postseason.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That being said I still look at the Blues as the Wild’s biggest obstacle to advancing.

I agree, and its most likely the first round opponent.

This playoff format is junk. Its the same matchups over and over again. Stop using this format and go to a straight up 1-8 seeds. Each round the highest seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

Sidenote: Team USA Women’s just beat Finland in the semifinals so they will play Canada again in the gold medal match.

Ice Cap

I’m not going to research the stats to back it up but casual observance says that some of our scoring depth is cooling off. Hartman in particular has cooled off as has Sturm. Gudreau chipped in the other night but I doubt he’s going on any kind of a tear and Ek and Foligno haven’t found the net a whole lot lately.

This only emphasizes the importance of Fiala and that he stays hot. If we get down to KK being the only real consistent threat we won’t go past the first round again. I can see Boldy going on a nice run the rest of the season which will be a great help. I still would like to see Addison find his way in the line up. Scoring ability, doesn’t hurt us on defense and he’s great on the power play. Boldy on pp #1 and Addison on pp #2.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looks like Teams USA Men went 3-0 in the preliminary round and earned a bye into the quarterfinals.

Cue the CanadaCryin’ that this Olympics is “not legitimate” because they can’t use pros. Nice 3-0 by team USA and a little help from the Finns forces Canada to have to play a qualifier just to advance. Not much doubt in the outcome, but still great for USA to be resting their legs for an extra day.

On to the Wild.

I was at the game v the Hurricanes and it is hard to describe just how much of a difference Boldy makes. Boldy-Gaudreau-Fiala line with Gaudreau having a terrific game makes all the difference in the world. The Wild are super-dangerous across 3 legit high-end lines (when Folino is back). When has that ever happened before where there was any confidence level that it was sustainable?

At best, the Hurricanes could play the Wild to a stalemate, but only the Wild putting themselves in a bad spot by taking penalties would tilt the ice toward the Canes for any period of time. You could see the strain on the Hurricanes in the 2nd with the long change, they were really having to push hard to keep up with the Wild and try to generate offense.

Cam was superb once again. No goalie in the league was going to prevent both of those Carolina goals. Cam made 2 game-savers that would have been in the back of the net for 90% of the goalies in the league. A lot of our success this year is the Cam-N-Kappo show saving us 1-2 goals per game.

Basically, it’s all about cracking the Colorado code now. I’m saying it right now, no typical MN sports fan “waiting for the sky to fall” crap, this is a legit contender team. It would be nice to have a clear run through the west, but the reality is we need to figure out Colorado. I’ll be at the last home game against the Avs so this is going to be a good one.

Is there going to be a deal to be made for a centerman? The price is going to be high, but in addition to the best team in franchise history, we have the only A-player GM we’ve ever had, again in franchise history. I’m starting to lean toward a deal. It is going to be hard to ignore the fact that with the buyout bite hitting hard next season, there’s a door open with this team in this league right now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dumba out tonight with lower body inury and Evason hinted it might be a bit more serious (but when hasn’t Evason said something could be serious??? We all thought Kaprizov was possibly done for the year with the way Deano talked about it and he was back after 1 game) I don’t remember seeing Dumba get injured last game other than blocking a ton of shots…Sounds like Benn is in for him (Addison is injured so that was never an option)

CaptainMusky

Cam was superb once again. No goalie in the league was going to prevent both of those Carolina goals. Cam made 2 game-savers that would have been in the back of the net for 90% of the goalies in the league. A lot of our success this year is the Cam-N-Kappo show saving us 1-2 goals per game.

The Wild goalies in the last 3 or 4 years really have struggled with making the saves they should make AND stealing one or two they really shouldnt. These two the last two years have been much better overall. We have had one of the strongest top to bottom D Corps in the league the last several years but our goal tending had let us down. All we need is a stable guy in there and we will win a ton of games.

CaptainMusky

You guys see that Toffoli trade? That seems like a lot to me. The funny thing is Montreal now has 3 Pitlicks in their system LOL. Can never have enough Pitlicks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it seems like he gets traded every year…top 10 protected 1st and 4th was the price….hmmm seems like prices will be high this year…IF Gaudreau can play the way he did against the Canes (I have like 2% confidence in that he can) staying with who we have might make the most sense. I don’t think you’re going to get enough of a boost for the price it will likely take to get a B list rental (unless we can get an A lister like Giroux or Pavelski who I think can tip the scales of getting value)

tswoboda

Hilarious! They’re just rubbing the NHL’s nose in it at this point.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2022-02-14-141523.png

Ripjiggen

Some regular posters on here didn’t seem to think that a team primarily composed of NCAA players could compete with foreign teams stacked with non-NHL pros. coffee

We were? I don’t recall that.
    Only recall Olympic hockey being meh as it did not involve the best players.

If I hear this compared to 1980 again I am going to puke.

Going to game tonight hopefully not let down after Carolina. Down the stretch I think they are going to have to give some guys some rest.

On the trade I honestly don’t see them doing anything now as the cost is going to be extreme for Pavelski and Giroux.
    The second tier doesn’t do much for me and probably doesn’t for BG.
    Unless of course there is an injury before the deadline.

CaptainMusky

I dont either. Did you see the CNN headline over the weekend after USA beat Canada? They compared it to the Miracle on Ice game. LOL

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

It was me. But I was just butt hurt I didn’t get a call to be an alternate, so figured it had to be the college kids killing my dream.

Ripjiggen

You should have been working out with Stall. jester

Viewing 30 posts - 3,361 through 3,390 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.