2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• tswoboda

So IF Leapold was willing to pay Shae Weber the $7.x to sit next to Russo in the press box for the next 5-6 years, the Wild could use that $7.x each season over the cap right?

Yup. And the Weber $7.x AAV would still count against that inflated cap.
    No. Net. Gain.

CaptainMusky

Beanpot tourney on ESPN tonight. a couple wild prospects in it. Warren and nesterenko.

Ripjiggen

Sounds like Dumba back Saturday.

CaptainMusky

Sounds like Dumba back Saturday.

That would be good news. He seems fragile when getting into those types of altercations.

Ripjiggen

Kakko in net tomorrow sorry just catching up on Russo. And helping us have a thread record. jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Look like Canada beat the USA 4-2 over night in Women’s hockey. I just checked the box score and apparently the USA out shot Canada 53-27 and controlled most of the play.

Round 2 will be for the gold medal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Wild Prospect pool ranks #3

Pretty damn impressive for a top5 team in the league who hasn’t drafted higher than #9 for many years…

Top 5 Prospects ranked:
    1) Boldy
    2) Rossi
    3) Wallstedt
    4) Lambos
    5) Addison

Nice to hear we have the best goalie prospect in the world right now (over Askarov and Knight) and to think we stole him at #20 in the draft…those are the types of moves that can transform a franchise…

CaptainMusky

Times are a changing. I wonder if Anson Carter caught whiff of this article? Probably doesnt follow Scott Wheeler or have an athletic subscription, but he will ask trainers and skate sharpeners what they think.

wormdunker

Not sure if you guys have found it yet but “Stanley on 7th” is a fun wild podcast.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Not sure if you guys have found it yet but “Stanley on 7th” is a fun wild podcast.

it’s a good one for sure, the beautiful babies!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Moose and Spurgeon’s Spittin Chicklets interviews released today…

CaptainMusky

Max Pacioretti (wrist surgery) and Alec Martinez (Duhaime skate to face) are both out “indefinitely” with no timetable for their return.

CapFriendly has a lengthy tweet discussing Vegas options to get Eichel on the ice. Pacioretti has returned to playing. He played 2 games since end of January so he is off LTIR. A lot of other writers are also writing about it encouraging teams to not trade with them. I am sure if it comes down to the end they will just push someone else into LTIR to make room of they let Eichel marinate until next year which I would think would be unlikely.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t know what the timeline was for his recovery, but you would think you would want to error WAY on the side of caution, one bad hit early on and his career could be done for…
    I would imagine Reilly Smith will get unloaded for pennies on the dollar….he’s been an important player for them to so it will be a tough loss…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That and the game tonight is very welcome news. Got bit by the Covid and have been out of commission since yesterday. Absolutely nothing to listen to or watch yesterday. Miserable.

tswoboda

Spurgeon sounds like a teenager dropping an F-bomb in front of their dad for the first time jester Not their typical interview

The prospect turnover in the last 4 drafts has been truly remarkable, job well done by Billy G, Judd, and Paul Fenton. Yes Fenton, since he drafted exactly half the names in the article. Something to realize is the Wild have had some luck to get to this point as well… they’ve totally capitalized on that luck, but the chips don’t always fall that way.
    #1 is landing the #9 pick to get Rossi because every other underdog won in the bubble play in round… They should have like #14 based on record.
    #2 is they tried to trade Boldy for Askarov but got shot down. If that went through they’d have no Boldy or Wallstedt, with Askarov and a #22 pick to show for it… dodged a bullet there.

The Player Tiers part of the article is what’s really impressive. The wild have 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) u23 prospects that are expected make the NHL. 3 of them stars, 4 of them middle of the lineup, and 6 of them depth/fringe players. That’s incredible considering the picks they’ve had.

Biggest surprise to me was Wheeler is higher on the SCSU boys – Peart and Hentges – than I expected.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Jon Kracynzki was on Barriero I think yesterday and made similarities between Fenton and Gerson Rosas of the T wolves. Nobody could stand them but they both have a lot to do with both clubs’ turnarounds.

CaptainMusky

I had to back up the podcast when Spurgeon used the F word because I thought no way he just said that LOL

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Max Pacioretti (wrist surgery) and Alec Martinez (Duhaime skate to face) are both out “indefinitely” with no timetable for their return.

CapFriendly has a lengthy tweet discussing Vegas options to get Eichel on the ice. Pacioretti has returned to playing. He played 2 games since end of January so he is off LTIR. A lot of other writers are also writing about it encouraging teams to not trade with them. I am sure if it comes down to the end they will just push someone else into LTIR to make room of they let Eichel marinate until next year which I would think would be unlikely.

You’re right, I didn’t realize Patches was back playing. So that makes a trade more likely unless someone else conveniently gets hurt. I think they need to clear roughly $5m via trade or injury for Eichel to return. Smith would be really easy to move but he’s a huge player for them, I can’t see them doing that. Dadonov + other big assets is my guess. I think most teams look at it as helping their own team is a lot more important that hurting 1 of the other 31 teams. Obviously writers will disagree because that’s a fun story.

CaptainMusky

Obviously writers will disagree because that’s a fun story.

Agreed. Teams look out for themselves first, but they certainly wouldnt want to burn a bridge either. If they can capitalize on Vegas’ situation they will.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Fenton’s apparent skill of spotting young talent is what makes the Johansson pick so dissapointing…I felt he got bullied into that pick by the asssitant GM that eventually left for Fletcher…but to their defense, other than the top 8 or so picks, it was a bad 1st round for everyone…

tswoboda

In case anyone still thinks acquiring LTIR contracts helps the salary cap situation… take it from someone a lot smarter and more qualified than myself.

I’ll admit there are some VERY rare situations where acquiring an LTIR contract gives a VERY incremental salary cap advantage that I can’t explain. But it’s a very miniscule advantage compared to general sentiment like what Joe said yesterday. Fans seem to think teams are buying $5m+ worth of cap space when they acquire these contracts.

Attachments:
    1. cf.png

JoeMX1825
    MN

In case anyone still thinks acquiring LTIR contracts helps the salary cap situation… take it from someone a lot smarter and more qualified than myself.

I’ll admit there are some VERY rare situations where acquiring an LTIR contract gives a VERY incremental salary cap advantage that I can’t explain. But it’s a very miniscule advantage compared to general sentiment like what Joe said yesterday. Fans seem to think teams are buying $5m+ worth of cap space when they acquire these contracts.

from a strickly playoff perspective/scenario, let’s say with 2 months left in the regular season you put one of your players on LTIR with a legitimate injury (for the sake of argument lets say Zucarello and his $6aav) and you delay his recovery/return until the playoffs start. Couldn’t you then sign a player using his $6 capspace slot to finish out the last 2 months of the regular season and ALSO keep him on the team for the playoffs with Zucarello playing as well?

This is exactly what Chicago did with Kane in 2015…Lightning to some degreee but they needed the LTIR space to retain their own players that totaled over the cap, not sign new ones…

Tape2Tape: Closing the Patrick Kane “Loophole”

CaptainMusky

from a strickly playoff perspective/scenario, let’s say with 2 months left in the regular season you put one of your players on LTIR with a legitimate injury (for the sake of argument lets say Zucarello and his $6aav) and you delay his recovery/return until the playoffs start. Couldn’t you then sign a player using his $6 capspace slot to finish out the last 2 months of the regular season and ALSO keep him on the team for the playoffs with Zucarello playing as well?

Provided you have room for that player under your original cap before putting Zuccarello on LTIR I think you could.

tswoboda

This is exactly what Chicago did with Kane in 2015…Lightning to some degreee but they needed the LTIR space to retain their own players that totaled over the cap, not sign new ones…

100% accurate. This is how LTIR can be utilized/abused.

BUT it takes an injury to an existing player with a big contract. The advantage does not come by acquiring an LTIR player/contract like you, Captain, and 1000s of other fans seem to infer.

So if you guys expect Billy G to take advantage of LTIR… well the only way he can really take advantage of it is by by first going full Tonya Harding on one of the top players and then holding them out until playoffs.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Provided you have room for that player under your original cap before putting Zuccarello on LTIR I think you could.

Unless they changed the rule after 2015 (my link) once Zuc goes on LTIR you have his cap aav to spend…now Zuc could NOT comeback during the regular season IF you got players with his $6aav…but once the playoffs start, there’s no cap to worry about…

JoeMX1825
    MN

This is likely where Bill Daly puts on his medical jacket and sniffs out the BS injuries then, surprised it’s not taken advantage of alot more (maybe it has just not to that $ degree of a players the caliber of Kane and Kucherov and doesn’t get the press)

I would imagine a player put on LTIR with concussion symptoms during the regular season and miraculously recovers for the playoffs would be impossible to disprove??

tswoboda

I would imagine a player put on LTIR with concussion symptoms during the regular season and miraculously recovers for the playoffs would be impossible to disprove??

And therein lies the battle… the liability of forcing an injured & recovering player back into the lineup would be massive. I think how it works is the NHL reviews all medical history and documents of players put on LTIR. The NHL could even send in their own doctors and clear a player for contact but even then how do they force them back onto the roster?

I think it would take an especially egregious situation for them to come down on a team. Even the Kucherov situation last year… he was well within the expected recovery time for his given surgery so there’s really no argument. I think it would take something like an expected 4-6 recovery time injury and the player still being held out for 6 months or whatever the season is. Even then the NHL would have the burden of proof. Debating over an individual players’ health is a huge can of worms to open.

JoeMX1825
    MN

and then what about a Carey Price “substance/mental health issue” LTIR situation? How do you determine how long he should be out and then when he’s truly ready to come back? It’s meaningless this year with how bad Montrel is, but are they bad because they don’t have Price?

It’s situational, but there are intentional asperations as pretty much every article i’ve read about it states, it’s within the rules, but it’s blatant cap circumvention…The entire world new the Lightning were screwed capwise going into last season, likely resulting in them having to trade away some of their future cornerstones like Cirelli and Sergachev, but they DECIDED to delay Kucherov’s surgery to better align with the start of the playoffs. I only get mad about it because they allowed that to happen again after the playbook was written in 2015 with Kane, but were more than willing to screw the Wild/Predators over with recapture penalties AFTER they signed the Parise & Suter/Weber deals…

Viewing 30 posts - 3,181 through 3,210 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.