2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I haven’t looked but is China’s mean’s team 50% Canadians like the woman’s team is?

CaptainMusky

I haven’t looked but is China’s mean’s team 50% Canadians like the woman’s team is?

How are they allowed to do that?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I get a funny feeling the Wild are NOT going to be the preferred choice for the top deadline targets like Giroux and Pavelski…we might need to settle for the Chris Tierney’s of the world… i’ll settle for anybody with an ounce of finishing ability to put between Boldy and Fiala…

CaptainMusky

I could see Grioux wanting to stay out East, but Pavelski might be swayed to come closer to home.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

How are they allowed to do that?

Sorry, I meant the China mean’s team is like 60% not from China…woman’s team looks legit…

Ripjiggen

What about a guy like Dylan Strome from the blackhawks. Has some skill hasn’t quite put up the numbers in Chicago but would also be the reason he might be available for less than a kings ransom.

Ice Cap

I get a funny feeling the Wild are NOT going to be the preferred choice for the top deadline targets like Giroux and Pavelski…we might need to settle for the Chris Tierney’s of the world… i’ll settle for anybody with an ounce of finishing ability to put between Boldy and Fiala…

I agree. I don’t know that we will get anyone that can move the needle much. I’d hate to see too many draft picks given up or top prospects like Addison or Beckman moved out. I don’t see guys like Goroux or Pavelski saying they would like to come here over some other places. Don’t know that we carry that level of respect from peers in the league just yet. I think the Wild are still viewed as over achievers who are not likely to find themselves in the Cup final.

As of right now I wouldn’t mind seeing the Wild stand pat especially if this team continues to play like the have. With that said I get the feeling BG is going to do something sooner than later if he’s so inclined.
    Here’s another bloggers take on it.

The Wild Can’t Enter the Trade Deadline Without Learning Lessons of 2016-17 First

JoeMX1825
    MN

What about a guy like Dylan Strome from the blackhawks. Has some skill hasn’t quite put up the numbers in Chicago but would also be the reason he might be available for less than a kings ransom.

Yeah, he’s one of the lower tier guys I think at the very least would be an upgrade over Gaudreau and wouldn’t cost us much…I would prefer a guy who’s good at faceoffs too, you need at least 2 high % guys on the ice to take critical draws at the end of games…Ek will be out there no matter what and he’s actually improved alot this season….

CaptainMusky

Eichel on the ice and out of the no contact jersey. I somehow forgot they are getting a 1C healthy just in time for the playoffs.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Eichel on the ice and out of the no contact jersey. I somehow forgot they are getting a 1C healthy just in time for the playoffs.

Going to be interesting to see how he fits on the Knights. He’s obviously going to help but will be interesting to watch how he does coming off that surgery.

CaptainMusky

Going to be interesting to see how he fits on the Knights. He’s obviously going to help but will be interesting to watch how he does coming off that surgery.

Someone will have to be trimmed from the roster to make room for his Cap too.

tswoboda

Someone will have to be trimmed from the roster to make room for his Cap too.

VGK should have no problem fitting everyone in by milking the LTIR… they have plenty of injury ammo to make it happen. Max Pacioretti (wrist surgery) and Alec Martinez (Duhaime skate to face) are both out “indefinitely” with no timetable for their return. Mark Stone also missed a bunch of games early in the season with a back problem… I’m sure they’d have no problem shutting him down for awhile before playoffs if needed.

CaptainMusky

VGK should have no problem fitting everyone in by milking the LTIR… they have plenty of injury ammo to make it happen. Max Pacioretti (wrist surgery) and Alec Martinez (Duhaime skate to face) are both out “indefinitely” with no timetable for their return. Mark Stone also missed a bunch of games early in the season with a back problem… I’m sure they’d have no problem shutting him down for awhile before playoffs if needed.

It says on capfriendly their deadline cap space is 5.5M, not sure how the LTIR thing is all calculated but are they going to make up that 4.5M?

tswoboda

Totally forgot about D-Strom, but what’s the deal there? 24 year old big skilled center and a re-building team has unsuccessfully been trying to throw him away for two seasons. On paper it seems like a no-brainer great fit for depth scoring center. He’s basically a rental since no one will touch his QO next summer. Billy G has talked a lot about fit and maturity being so important with deadline deals so there may be some red flags there with Strome. I see no issue with guys like Hertl, Pavelski, or Giroux stepping into the locker room.

Are there really any other options out there? Getting down to names like Tierney and I’d legit rather throw Rask out there.

tswoboda

It says on capfriendly their deadline cap space is 5.5M, not sure how the LTIR thing is all calculated but are they going to make up that 4.5M?

Pacioretty will go on LTIR when Eichel comes off LTIR.

CaptainMusky

Pacioretty will go on LTIR when Eichel comes off LTIR.

Ah, I didnt pay attention that he wasnt already on it. Makes sense.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it wil be interesting to see if Bill Daly allows Vegas to play the LTIR games to get under the cap for the playoffs. Daly made it known that the NHL investigated the Lightning/Kucherov situation and it all checked out in terms of injury timelines. It will be interesting to see if they allow Vegas to do it with multiple season incurred injuries instead…if anything they should have milked the Eichel injury longer as it didn’t have a clearly defined recovery time…

IF GMBG DOESN’T take advantage of the LTIR games over the next 3 season i’ll be seriously dissapointed with him….

CaptainMusky

Are there really any other options out there? Getting down to names like Tierney and I’d legit rather throw Rask out there.

NBC Sports did a “top 20” and only Hertl made the list of the guys we’ve been talking about. I dont think there is any way Giroux is not traded. They didnt have anyone else on the list that interested me at all except for maybe a D man, but that isnt that great of a need, at least right now. Except Dumba is on IR now. Rewatched that hit and fight with Lee and he could have multiple different injuries from ribs, shoulder, concussion.

CaptainMusky

IF GMBG DOESN’T take advantage of the LTIR games over the next 3 season i’ll be seriously dissapointed with him….

Maybe make a trade for Carey Price. He may never play again.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the Dumba IR placement is just the Wild taking advantage of the last long gap between games before the rest of the season mad rush, by him missing the Jets game it gives him an extra large chunk of days off to heal up….

CaptainMusky

Curiously they didnt bring up Addison.

tswoboda

Guys… LTIR doesn’t help the team unless they have a regular lineup player with a big AAV who is on LTIR. Acquiring Carey Price or Shea Weber would not help the salary cap situation. Having big contract guys like Kucherov or Pacioretti or Eichel be injured is what’s allowing teams to be way over the cap for the playoffs. The only way LTIR would “help” the Wild is if a big contract like KK or Spurgeon or Brodin, etc. was able to go on LTIR until the playoffs started. But then they wouldn’t be able to actually play in the regular season and they still needs to actually make the playoffs without them.

tswoboda

Curiously they didnt bring up Addison.

Only a 1 game road trip so virtually no chance the call-ups play.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Guys… LTIR doesn’t help the team unless they have a regular lineup player with a big AAV who is on LTIR. Acquiring Carey Price or Shea Weber would not help the salary cap situation. Having big contract guys like Kucherov or Pacioretti or Eichel be injured is what’s allowing teams to be way over the cap for the playoffs. The only way LTIR would “help” the Wild is if a big contract like KK or Spurgeon or Brodin, etc. was able to go on LTIR until the playoffs started. But then they wouldn’t be able to actually play in the regular season and they still needs to actually make the playoffs without them.

Can you explain the logic of the Leafs the past few years? They made trades for LTIR contracts (Clarkson for Nathan Horton)…IF, and that’s a big IF, the Owner is fine paying somebody to NOT play (the major markets like the Leafs can afford to do this) LTIR can allow them to spend their AAV basically twice (for the active roster player and also the player sitting at home on IR) right?

So IF Leapold was willing to pay Shae Weber the $7.x to sit next to Russo in the press box for the next 5-6 years, the Wild could use that $7.x each season over the cap right?

CaptainMusky

Can you explain the logic of the Leafs the past few years? They made trades for LTIR contracts (Nathan Horton)…

Didnt TB trade for Gaborik too?

Ice Cap

Been a long time since Eichel has played any real at speed hockey. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to get acclimated to the new team mates and just the rhythm of the game and how close he will get to being the Jack Eichel we remember.

I’m still glad the Wild didn’t take the risk on him at the cost.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Been a long time since Eichel has played any real at speed hockey. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to get acclimated to the new team mates and just the rhythm of the game and how close he will get to being the Jack Eichel we remember.

I’m still glad the Wild didn’t take the risk on him at the cost.

i’m guessing no different than Marco Rossi right? the only difference would be if Eichel’s repaired injury actually impacts his physical ability…i’m sure there will be alot of scared $hitless Golden Knights brass when Eichel takes his first solid hit on the ice…

Tom schmitt

I don’t see the point in making a trade for another center. BG has made it pretty clear that Gaudreau will play. If they bring in another center it will just push Sturm over to a wing and sit someone else on the bench.

tswoboda

And TB traded for Seabrook and Nilsson as well…

Trading for those LTIR contracts is what the rich owners/organizations do, the ones who are already in cap hell and do whatever they can to save any assets. The teams trading away those LTIR contracts are always rebuilding teams or teams that are in financial trouble (i.e. Ottawa). The value isn’t in acquiring those players, the value is in the TB or TOR owner being willing to pay that salary for nothing. By Toronto or Tampa taking on those dead contracts, it saved them other assets like a mid-round pick or mid-level prospect.

Yes, LTIR players allow the team to go over the cap up to their AAV but their AAV still counts toward the cap so there is no net gain. So Gaborik allowed TB to go over the cap by $6 million but Gaborik’s $6m still counted against that higher cap. There’s no gain. It’s like getting a 6% raise and inflation going up 6%. No net gain.

Let’s break down the Tampa example, totally made up numbers that are just near where I remember them. Cap was at $80.5m and TB was at $91.4m – Kucherov gets hurt for the season so his $9m goes on LTIR and their cap goes up to $89.5m. They still needed to shed $2m so they traded 2 depth players + assets to Ottawa for Gaborik and Nillson. Gabby and Nilson make $9m combined but both on LTIR so now the TB cap is up to $98.5m plus TB shed $2m so they are compliant at $98.4m. Without Gabby and Nillson they would still be compliant at $89.4m in a $89.5m cap. But this way fans can go: “OMGeeee tHeY’rE $18 MiLlIoN OvEr ThE cAp” when the reality they’re exactly 1 Kucherov over the cap. The Tampa LTIR cap circumvention had nothing to do with acquiring LTIR contracts, and everything to do with their highest paid player going on LTIR until the date the playoffs started. TB traded Ottawa for those contracts so that they could dump salary without giving up a 1st round pick or a good prospect or some other top trade asset. Taking on dead money from a poor owner was Tampa’s trade asset.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,151 through 3,180 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.