2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• CaptainMusky

x1,000,000 Grouse! I was explaining that whole travesty to my wife, and she was like that guy is the owner?!?! And he’s talking like that to a reporter?!?!?!!! Let’s just say she is not a sports fan, yet still HATES the Blackhawks now.

I just read he apologized to someone via email, the email was forwarded to this person from the President of the Org. What a dang train wreck. The person wasnt the reporter he chastised either.

Justin Donson

Man the Wild are just so fun to watch right now. How refreshing is it to have a team that wins seemingly all the games they ‘should’ win? And they just keep their foot on the gas!

I really hope we find a way to keep Fiala, I just don’t think you can give up that scoring potential. It will be really hard for the team to watch Dumba go, but man I think it’s the right choice.

I’ve not watched nearly as many games as most of you guys have, as I don’t actually have a way to watch them at home, but Kaprizov is the most talented player to every put on a Wild jersey. Every game there’s like 5+ passes he makes that I just can’t even believe are possible. I think that’s what impresses me most about him.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but Kaprizov is the most talented player to every put on a Wild jersey

That may be debatable but I think Gaborik still has him at this point.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Donson wrote:</div>
    but Kaprizov is the most talented player to every put on a Wild jersey

That may be debatable but I think Gaborik still has him at this point.

Well Gaboriks best year he had 83 pts and Kaprizov is on pace to have 109.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well Gaboriks best year he had 83 pts and Kaprizov is on pace to have 109

We will have to wait for that to bear out then, won’t we!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Gabby also played with complete jokes for linemates his entire time with the Wild (maybe Brunette was his best linemate?)…I mean seriously who was his center? Stacey Roust? Scott Pelerin?

Gabby had elite straight line speed and an elite snapshot, he didn’t have much creativity other than to try and skate around you…

Kaprizov is the best all around player we’ve ever had, i’m confident in saying that after only 90 something career games…

CaptainMusky

Gabby also played with complete jokes for linemates his entire time with the Wild (maybe Brunette was his best linemate?)…I mean seriously who was his center? Stacey Roust? Scott Pelerin?

Gabby had elite straight line speed and an elite snapshot, he didn’t have much creativity other than to try and skate around you…

Kaprizov is the best all around player we’ve ever had, i’m confident in saying that after only 90 something career games…

Agreed with all of this. I was going to mention that Gabby didnt have the best linemates, sorta like most of Fiala’s time here.

AK Guy

My memory may be faulty about Gabby, but it sure seems like Kaprizov plays in both ends of ice a heckuva lot more than Gabby did.

JoeMX1825
    MN

My memory may be faulty about Gabby, but it sure seems like Kaprizov plays in both ends of ice a heckuva lot more than Gabby did.

oh for sure, Gabby was a neutral zone vulcher…Jaques Lamiere probably had a few heart attacks about it during his time here, but I think he understood how Gabby’s game was heavily restricted by his lack of teammate talent, so he let it go alot…so goes the 1st pick of an expansion franchise…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Haha, ya Gabby wasn’t really into playing a whole lotta defense. And as Joe said I’m sure Lemaire had a stroke many times because of it.

Justin Donson

Gabby’s definitely #2 on the list I think. At least if you limit it to their time IN a wild uniform.

Kaprizov just seems like more of a game changer/breaker. Although I know Gabby came into the league at peak clutch/grab NHL AND on an expansion team led by Jacques Lemaire, so his numbers are definitely going to be stunted a bit.

Kaprizov just has that aura though, like every time he’s on the ice something special might happen. Every time he gets the puck it feels like the wild could score. The same way I felt watching a guy like Patrick Kane against us in his prime.

Tough to compare I guess, different eras, different style of play, but my eyes tell me he’s the best. Super scientific I know :).

Also, I decided to start looking up some comparisons, because the Wild have never had a 100 point scorer, and it’s more rare than I thought across the league actually.

Career # of Seasons over 100 points for some notable players:
    Crosby: 6
    Ovechkin: 4
    Malkin: 3
    Kane: 2
    Kucherov: 2
    Stamkos: 0
    MacKinnon: 0
    Panarin: 0
    Matthews: 0

Kaprizov’s on pace for ~70 assists in a full 82 game season, that’s like Connor MacDavid territory, the dude’s an unreal playmaker. And that’s without anyone near Draisitl’s talent level on his line.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Gabby’s definitely #2 on the list I think. At least if you limit it to their time IN a wild uniform.

Kaprizov just seems like more of a game changer/breaker. Although I know Gabby came into the league at peak clutch/grab NHL AND on an expansion team led by Jacques Lemaire, so his numbers are definitely going to be stunted a bit.

Kaprizov just has that aura though, like every time he’s on the ice something special might happen. Every time he gets the puck it feels like the wild could score. The same way I felt watching a guy like Patrick Kane against us in his prime.

Tough to compare I guess, different eras, different style of play, but my eyes tell me he’s the best. Super scientific I know :).

Also, I decided to start looking up some comparisons, because the Wild have never had a 100 point scorer, and it’s more rare than I thought across the league actually.

Career # of Seasons over 100 points for some notable players:
    Crosby: 6
    Ovechkin: 4
    Malkin: 3
    Kane: 2
    Kucherov: 2
    Stamkos: 0
    MacKinnon: 0
    Panarin: 0
    Matthews: 0

Kaprizov’s on pace for ~70 assists in a full 82 game season, that’s like Connor MacDavid territory, the dude’s an unreal playmaker. And that’s without anyone near Draisitl’s talent level on his line.

The other thing about Kaprizov’s numbers is that they are mostly being done 5-5, not a ton from the powerplay… it would be nice to compare his 5-5 points with the other superstars…

Ripjiggen

I feel very confident that KK is a much better player than Gabby ever was. Honestly I don’t think it is that close. Gabby wasn’t even close to a PPG player in MN or elsewhere. He hit 80plus pts twice in his entire career. He hit 70 plus once.
    He had straight line speed and a great snapshot. He didn’t have near the all around game KK has.
    His four best seasons were when he was a ranger. That team had more talent than the wild and he wasn’t that close to a PPG player there either.

CaptainMusky

I hadn’t watched the last 2 periods from last night’s game until now. Is there a better passer on this team than Boldy? Fiala is benefiting more from Boldy than the reverse. Good lord the passes Boldy does. Kid is legit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Russo and Anson Carter in a twitter feud! I love it!

CaptainMusky

What he said during the second intermission was dumb and now he doubled down. I like Anson, but that was a terrible take and he got RUSSOED

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

What he said during the second intermission was dumb and now he doubled down. I like Anson, but that was a terrible take and he got RUSSOED

For those of us not on twitter, can you summarize what’s going on?

CaptainMusky

For those of us not on twitter, can you summarize what’s going on?

During the second intermission of the wild’s last game they were discussing whether the Wild were “contenders” or not. Anson Carter said “I am worried about their depth”. Then after getting blasted on Twitter he doubled down with this gem and Russo nailed him LOL

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

That is Gold right there! “RUSSOED”!! jester Love it!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

KK only in the shootout contest. Was hoping he might be in some other skills.

CaptainMusky

KK only in the shootout contest. Was hoping he might be in some other skills.

Its the breakaway challenge right? Is this the one where they are chased down by someone? I havent watched the skills competition in a while.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Brodin belongs in the ASG next year. The dude is good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Brodin belongs in the ASG next year. The dude is good.

The West is loaded with young D talent, he’ll never hit the radar, we know how valueable he is though…There’s been rumors of making separate offensive and defensive defenseman trophies, maybe then…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

All Star voting for every major pro sport is essentially a popularity contest with the fans. And since every team HAS to have a representative there, quite a few of the players having stellar seasons simply aren’t going to qualify.

Let’s be honest, its primarily a theatrical stunt on ice anyways. Ovechkin won the shoot out competition once because he was literally wearing a sombrero while he did it.

Ripjiggen

Yeah I am not big on all star games. In any sport really. I mean I will probably watch some because I enjoy hockey that much, but it is nothing more than trying to showcase your league and most likely to have a break in the season that is probably in the CBA.
    Just don’t get hurt Cam and KK. We all have high hopes for this team. toast

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yeah I am not big on all star games.

Hey Rip I can recall your boy Dany “the Heater” Heatley tallying 5 goals in the all star game his rookie season to earn MVP! Guy was unstoppable!

Ripjiggen

Trust me he still talks about it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

my guess for Kaprizov’s 2 breakaway moves will be his famous “Lackadaisical upper corner snipe” and his quick forward to backhand upper corner move (Parise has done it before)…he likely doesn’t want to embarrass himself as an all-star rookie trying somthing silly and it fails miserably…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Word is the NHL wants the breakaway challenge to shine tonight (its been ugly in the past with most guys failing on their trick shots. NHL gave participants extra practice time to fine tune their moves, we shall see!

Viewing 30 posts - 3,091 through 3,120 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.