2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• Ice Cap

Arizona to Milwaukee. How fun would that be? Canada not allowing fans has got to be driving the owners bonkers as well last thing we need is another team across the border. So much revenue being lost because the league is a $hit show.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve always wondered if Milwaukee could support an NHL team too. The Bradley Center has been used for hockey before many times. It had a Frozen Four there at one time when the Badgers won the national title.

I’d be fine without having hockey in Phoenix.

CaptainMusky

Expansion nets the NHL owners $650m in cash and increases the value of every other franchise, relocation nets them nothing.

While technically true, relocating to a new market would certainly boost attendance while they are “fresh” which would lead to increase revenue and the owners sharing less with them I would think. Its hard to know long term how things end up because relocation rarely seems to be better and where would they go? I would think Houston would be a good option. I dont know if Milwaukee would be a good landing spot. Houston would definitely be favored because the city is enormous.

tswoboda

True that a getting out of a dead market may be the better investment long term. I just think the NHL is no where near ready to give up on Phoenix, and I can see why. It’s not much smaller than Houston and is a popular tourist and snowbird destination. Just think of all the golf and hockey combo vacations in a box that should be sold there. It should work! But it’s going to take a good owner and a new stadium.

Ice Cap

I’ve always wondered if Milwaukee could support an NHL team too. The Bradley Center has been used for hockey before many times. It had a Frozen Four there at one time when the Badgers won the national title.

I’d be fine without having hockey in Phoenix.

Milwaukee would certainly draw fans from Minnesota and Chicago, St. Louis and probably even Nashville. Not to mention there are some pretty hard core hockey people in Sconny.

CaptainMusky

True that a getting out of a dead market may be the better investment long term. I just think the NHL is no where near ready to give up on Phoenix, and I can see why. It’s not much smaller than Houston and is a popular tourist and snowbird destination. Just think of all the golf and hockey combo vacations in a box that should be sold there. It should work! But it’s going to take a good owner and a new stadium.

Oh I agree with you. I think one of the main reason its not doing well now is location of the arena right? Not counting the fact that ownership/leadership is a dang joke.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

What BS this National broadcast deal is. Four plus minutes remaining in the Edmonton/Washington game, so there’s no way to see the beginning of the Wild game?

I pay extra for NHL Center Ice with, but it’s blacked out there. Ridiculous.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What BS this National broadcast deal is. Four plus minutes remaining in the Edmonton/Washington game, so there’s no way to see the beginning of the Wild game?

I pay extra for NHL Center Ice with, but it’s blacked out there. Ridiculous.

This happens frequently in the playoffs when they have a double header lined up. Usually a team in the central time zone has to wait for a game out east to finish. It’s junk. No game in the central time zone should be starting at 9pm. Chicago, Minnesota, and St Louis often get the short end of this stick when it happens.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Holy crap what a dumpster fire that Blackhawks Town Hall was. The owner starts yelling at a reporter about how what their plan is going forward to empower players in those situations and he flies off the handle saying it’s none of his business?

Holy crap.

JoeMX1825
    MN

TNT Studio guys handled the Wirtz outburst conversation well, man they are leaps and bounds better than ESPN telecasts…

Lots of stoppages in the Oilers vs Caps game that lead to it going over time, thank god the Oilers scored late…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s the Greenway I want to see all the time!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

This top line is so fun to watch.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Nice pass from Zuc to Kirill for the finish. I think Fiala is up to a 12 game point streak also.

Ice Cap

Nice pass from Zuc to Kirill for the finish. I think Fiala is up to a 12 game point streak also.

He is and has multiple point games sprinkled in there. Please find a way to keep him here! On the other hand did anyone notice Dumba missing?

RT
    Twin Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

He is and has multiple point games sprinkled in there. Please find a way to keep him here! On the other hand did anyone notice Dumba missing?

I don’t think anyone “missed” Dumba last night.

Ice Cap

Kaprizov just does not miss the net. When he gets the chance he buries it. That is what we have been missing for so many years. How many times have we had players whiff on the puck or miss the net with that goal he had last night in years past? Too many to count. He’s not a McDavid where he can go end to end split four defenders and top shelf it on the doorstep but when he gets even half a chance it’s usually in the net. Or he is giving someone else that chance. I can do without the flash as long as he keeps doing what he’s doing.

Leaving for Red in about a hour. Going to miss the All Star event but I’m sure there will be plenty video to watch when I get back! Have a nice weekend all!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Holy crap what a dumpster fire that Blackhawks Town Hall was.

I think you meant to say “what a dumpster fire the Blackhawks are.”

Isn’t it amazing how a team can go from dominant glory to cellar dwellar so quickly? My brother is a Hawks fan and he pounded his chest for years as a fan. He crawled back down into his rabbit hole the past couple years and I haven’t heard a peep. I for one am glad they suck again lol. They were absolutely terrible for many years before they had their run of success and that stadium averaged 5,000 fans/game.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Holy crap what a dumpster fire that Blackhawks Town Hall was.

I think you meant to say “what a dumpster fire the Blackhawks are.”

Isn’t it amazing how a team can go from dominant glory to cellar dwellar so quickly? My brother is a Hawks fan and he pounded his chest for years as a fan. He crawled back down into his rabbit hole the past couple years and I haven’t heard a peep. I for one am glad they suck again lol. They were absolutely terrible for many years before they had their run of success and that stadium averaged 5,000 fans/game.

Its a pretty common theme, team is bad for years and gets top draft picks in multiple years and actually drafts superstars (2010+ Oilers failed with this) team then spends the next 3-4 years building a roster around those superstars, team then dominates for a 4-5 year window, superstars are extended with max contracts as they cash in on previous success, team starts burning draft picks and prospects as it tries to squeeze out any remaining success from superstars, superstars start to age and get injured, superstars no longer carry the weight of their cap hits and team struggles in caphell for a few years, team decides its time to start rebuilding and sells whatever assets they can, rinse and repeat… Blackhawks and Penguins (who are finally playing well right now actually) are 2 former powerhouses in those end stages….

JoeMX1825
    MN

After watching last nights game I think I figured out a few of GMBG’s long term decisions.

I think GMBG now wants to keep Fiala and tries to get him signed long-term 4-5 years ($7AAV) this offseason BEFORE he plays a full season next year with Rossi and Boldy as linemates and explodes offensively further boosting his value. Last night was a great example of what having 2 elite scoring lines can do, the foot is never taken off the gas offensively, there’s no letdown, that and the GREEF and 4th line will wear teams out by the 3rd period.

Dumba is traded away at some point in the next year (likely at this years draft or next years deadline as a last resort) I think GMBG now realizes having the extra offensive talent in Fiala is more valueable than the suspect defense but good leadership Dumba brings, we have numerous other good choices for leaders (Brodin, Ek, Hartman, Zuc)…

I think they try and trade Talbot, this will help justify the raise Kaapo will get, I think they’re now convinced Kaapo can be a full time starter, he gets the crease until Walstedt is ready…

I don’t think the Wild offers Alex Goligoski a contract extension unless it’s for darn near the veterans minimum, if he declines, they put Addison in his spot.

I don’t think they bring Sturm back, Gaudreau fills his spot on the 4th line

Kulikov could be shopped as well to free up some capspace by signing a Vet at the minimum (Like we did with Merrel)

Benn & Bjugstad are not re-signed, we have Iowa guys to replace them…

I THINK these moves will free up enough money to get them through the next 3 buyout pain seasons and still remain competitive. I think the only thing that could mess it up would be HUGE seasons for Boldy and Addison next year thus bumping their RFA contract demands or Boldy gets offer sheeted (if eligable?) That would then cause a big unwanted trade decision on an existing core player (like a Foligno or Greenway) to quickly free up $ to match the Boldy offer…

This gives you a lineup mostly signed for the next 2-3 years:

Kaprizov – Hartman – Zuc
    Boldy – Rossi – Fiala
    Greenway – Ek – Foligno
    Duhaime – Gaudreau – Dewar

Spurgeon – Addison
    Brodin – Dumba/Kulikov/?
    Merrel – ? Vet Minimum

Kahkonen
    ?/Iowa Backup/Wallstedt

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its a pretty common theme, team is bad for years and gets top draft picks in multiple years and actually drafts superstars (2010+ Oilers failed with this) team then spends the next 3-4 years building a roster around those superstars, team then dominates for a 4-5 year window, superstars are extended with max contracts as they cash in on previous success, team starts burning draft picks and prospects as it tries to squeeze out any remaining success from superstars, superstars start to age and get injured, superstars no longer carry the weight of their cap hits and team struggles in caphell for a few years, team decides its time to start rebuilding and sells whatever assets they can, rinse and repeat

I agree. I don’t respect that route to success though because it requires a team/franchise to be a complete failure for years in order to get those high draft picks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Its a pretty common theme, team is bad for years and gets top draft picks in multiple years and actually drafts superstars (2010+ Oilers failed with this) team then spends the next 3-4 years building a roster around those superstars, team then dominates for a 4-5 year window, superstars are extended with max contracts as they cash in on previous success, team starts burning draft picks and prospects as it tries to squeeze out any remaining success from superstars, superstars start to age and get injured, superstars no longer carry the weight of their cap hits and team struggles in caphell for a few years, team decides its time to start rebuilding and sells whatever assets they can, rinse and repeat

I agree. I don’t respect that route to success though because it requires a team/franchise to be a complete failure for years in order to get those high draft picks.

Every few years there’s a team that breaks the pattern and wins a cup based more on the total team concept (still with a few really good players mixed in) and not relying on the same handful of superstars to carry them, the 2019 Blues, 2011 Bruins and 2006 Hurricanes are great examples of that, but betwwen those 3 examples are all Dynasty teams winning with generational superstars…

CaptainMusky

And then you just hope the pick hits and they are a generational type talent. It doesnt always work out. Edmonton had how many #1 overall picks and it wasnt until McDavid that they actually nailed it, but that was a no brainer.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Holy crap what a dumpster fire that Blackhawks Town Hall was. The owner starts yelling at a reporter about how what their plan is going forward to empower players in those situations and he flies off the handle saying it’s none of his business?

Rocky Wirtz is unfit to represent the league as the owner of a franchise. He sees the Blackhawks problems as being caused by reporters who keep talking about the problems rather than happy-talking how awesome the Blackhawks organization is. Doesn’t work that way anymore, Rocky. Nobody cares that you don’t want to talk about Kyle Beach, people are still going to talk about Kyle Beach and what your horsesh!t organization got away with.

And then the TNT crew talked about Rocky’s Town Hall meltdown and Kyle Beach some more while the Wild delivered a well-deserved kick to Rocky’s lower unit. Just desserts?

Cam was just awesome last night. You could see the Blackhawks were totally broken after Cam denied them at every opportunity in the first. It was going to be another one of those getting-your-ass-kicked nights and they knew it.

Goaltending like the Cam-n-Kappo show is giving us is just so much fun to watch. Then you got Zuccarello playing the best hockey of his life. That stop-n-dish to KK for the goal was just awesome.

Really enjoy watching this team and I know most of you are too young to remember the North Stars rivalry with the Blackhawks, but let me just say that if you were a Stars fan back in the day, then the only thing that is better than beating the Blackhawks 5-0 would be beating them 6-0.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Really enjoy watching this team and I know most of you are too young to remember the North Stars rivalry with the Blackhawks, but let me just say that if you were a Stars fan back in the day, then the only thing that is better than beating the Blackhawks 5-0 would be beating them 6-0.

I have fond memories as a kid at the Met screaming “Secord Sucks” at the top of my lungs…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Blackhawks’ suck your way to success model is also not a sure thing. Just because you did it once doesn’t mean you won’t Edmonton it the next time.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

The Blackhawks’ suck your way to success model is also not a sure thing. Just because you did it once doesn’t mean you won’t Edmonton it the next time.

Grouse

Yes, you need the draft picks to work out, but you also need a great GM to put the proper role players around the stars to be successful, just look at how the Penguins, Devils, Red Wings and Lightning have succeeded..they all had GM’s who made the right calls…Oilers have been a dumpster file of bad decisions all around the organization, from GM to Coach to scouts..

JoeMX1825
    MN

As we all know the Wild have been the complete opposite of this approach, but after 20 years finally hitting the jackpot with a 5th rounder has completely changed this franchise and opened a window for success, it will be upto GMBG to make the right decisions to keep that window open as long as possible….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Rocky Wirtz is unfit to represent the league as the owner of a franchise. He sees the Blackhawks problems as being caused by reporters who keep talking about the problems rather than happy-talking how awesome the Blackhawks organization is. Doesn’t work that way anymore, Rocky. Nobody cares that you don’t want to talk about Kyle Beach, people are still going to talk about Kyle Beach and what your horsesh!t organization got away with.

x1,000,000 Grouse! I was explaining that whole travesty to my wife, and she was like that guy is the owner?!?! And he’s talking like that to a reporter?!?!?!!! Let’s just say she is not a sports fan, yet still HATES the Blackhawks now.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,061 through 3,090 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.