2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• AnotherFisherman

I love this thread.

I appreciate the insight and knowledge some of you share with us that don’t follow the team as much.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Well if you’re going to move Fiala at or before the deadline it kind of takes the purpose out of bringing in some hot dog center doesn’t it?

This 100% – This is why i’m convinced they’ll do what they can to get a Giroux/Pavelski…They won’t have the capspace to add anybody of significance the next 3 seasons, so it’s kind of a put the chips in the middle and take your best shot year, they’ll have draft picks galore piling up during the 3 bad caphit years since they won’t be using them to aquire anybody because they can’t afford them, if anything they’ll probably be forced to sell off players for draft picks just to get cap complaint…

The OTHER option GMBG has is to trade for JT Miller for this cup run, then trade him again this offseason to recoup some of the trade value you paid for him vs losing everything for a pure rental…This assumes GMBG wants to find a way to keep Fiala and not block out Rossi from playing top 6 center next season…

JT has a track record of being a bit outspoken in the locker room (mostly good stuff) but his personality will need to be looked into a bit to see if it fits… I also think the Rangers will be all in on him at the deadline as well and he played there in the past and loves the city…

tswoboda

Marty Hanzal has 6 goals and 10 assists in only 5 games this year in the Czechia4 League (whatever that is)… just sayin whistling

Ripjiggen

There’s no chance Dumba, Fiala, or anyone else significant is getting trade during the season. Where did that idea even come from? They have plenty of cap space to acquire a rental. If they need more, they can include Rask or a 4th/5th round pick to eat half the salary. Any team trading a rental will have plenty of space to take on Rask.

It’s the exact same scenario as when the Wild got Galchenyuk in the Zucker trade.

I agree. I have seen trade scenarios that involve Fiala. As I don’t agree with them If it was more of hockey trade with term which is not likely. I have seen it mostly with Canuck writers and JT Miller. Guessing most of them want Fiala in return for obvious reasons.

Ripjiggen

Marty Hanzal has 6 goals and 10 assists in only 5 games this year in the Czechia4 League (whatever that is)… just sayin whistling

I played there once and was a PPG player when my Bar league team collapsed. jester

CaptainMusky

I played there once and was a PPG player when my Bar league team collapsed. jester

I looked for “RipJiggen” on Elite prospects and nothing came up?!

Ripjiggen

^^^its first and last name Rip space Jiggen. Maybe that was the issue.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I read the JT Miller article, no chance the Wild brings up Rossi as a Gaudreau replacement, if that was the plan they would have done it already…they’ll keep his 7 remaining games before buring year 1 of ELC as an “oh crap” playoffs injury insurance card if needed…I did read another article that suggested trying Sturm out there for a few games just to see somebody different with Boldy & Fiala, I like that idea to see a different perspective…

I also see GMBG prefering to NOT give away a current prospects (outside of mabye one of our stockpile of D) vs using future draft picks as he’ll need those young ELC players for the next 3 years vs future draft picks who will be 4-5 years away…

I just hesitate trading our 2023 1st round pick as insurance if the Wild have a lost 2022/2023 season due to major injuries of key players and they somehow end up in the 2023 Draft lottery for a top pick of Bedard, Fantilli or Mitchkov… (Those guys are potential generational franchise picks)

Ice Cap

I read the JT Miller article, no chance the Wild brings up Rossi, if that was the plan they would have done it already…they’ll keep his 7 remaining games before buring year 1 of ELC as an “oh crap” playoffs injury insurance card if needed…

I also see GMBG prefering to NOT give away a current prospects vs using future draft picks as he’ll need those young ELC players for the next 3 years vs future draft picks who will be 4-5 years away…

I just hesitate trading the 2023 1st round pick as insurance if the Wild somehow have a lost 2022/2023 season due to major injuries of key players and they could end up in the 2023 Draft lottery for a top pick of Bedard, Fantilli or Mitchkov…

That’s kind of the condundrum the Wild are in. They have the guy in Iowa that they need but because of the buyouts can’t or don’t want to bring him up. I think Rossi is NHL ready. He just needs to get some time up here but the clock is ticking. I’ve mentioned this before but Rossi seems to feel he is indebted to the Wild for basically saving his life. Would it be worth having a talk with him and his agent over the ELC and beyond. A gentlemans agreement ala Goligoski? Rossi seems to be very receptive to whatever the Wild feel they need to do in regards to him. It just seems silly trying to figure out all the moves needed to get someone when you got the guy you need in the AHL.

And if you bring him up and he’s not enough to put you over the top my guess is none of the other guys mentioned would be either. And you didn’t lose anything in the process and moved Rossi further along in his development. Or I could be wrong! smile

Ripjiggen

I just don’t see them falling that far next year. It would take several season ending injuries and with the amount of crappy teams out west in Canada and Buffalo I think it would be tough.
    Then again I don’t really think BG thinks like that either.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

While Rossi was up I didn’t see him as being ready for the show enough to say the Wild “need” him now. I think it’s better for him and the club to let him marinate in Iowa for most of the year.

No Dumbo or Foligno tomorrow but Sturm and Merrill back in.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just don’t see them falling that far next year. It would take several season ending injuries and with the amount of crappy teams out west in Canada and Buffalo I think it would be tough.
    Then again I don’t really think BG thinks like that either.

So thought the San Jose Sharks who traded away their future 2020 1st round pick to Ottowa for a 2019 playoff rental (They lost in the conf finals) and then lost a ton of stars to injuries in 2020 and lost the 3rd overall pick (Should have been 1st overall pick but Ottowa got crappy lottery luck)

Ripjiggen

I think Miller Giroux and Pavelski are better than Marco at this point in there career. Guessing we will not find that out however.

tswoboda

So thought the San Jose Sharks who traded away their future 2020 1st round pick for a 2019 playoff rental (They lost in the conf finals) and then lost a ton of stars to injuries in 2020 and lost the 3rd overall pick (could have been 1st overall pick but got crappy lottery luck)

Yeah that wasn’t a rental… That was Erik Karlsson, who was traded with 100% intent of signing an extension. Trade was in the 2018 offseason and included a 2019 first, but had a really interesting condition that if the Sharks made the playoffs in 2019 then the pick transferred to 2020.

tswoboda

I think Miller Giroux and Pavelski are better than Marco at this point in there career. Guessing we will not find that out however.

I agree. And yeah we’ll never know the answer so that’s why we get to hash it out over a 100 page thread. Not to mention any significant injury to KK, Fiala, Ek, or Zuccy throws all these elaborate deadline trade plans right in the garbage.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    So thought the San Jose Sharks who traded away their future 2020 1st round pick for a 2019 playoff rental (They lost in the conf finals) and then lost a ton of stars to injuries in 2020 and lost the 3rd overall pick (could have been 1st overall pick but got crappy lottery luck)

Yeah that wasn’t a rental… That was Erik Karlsson, who was traded with 100% intent of signing an extension. Trade was in the 2018 offseason and included a 2019 first, but had a really interesting condition that if the Sharks made the playoffs in 2019 then the pick transferred to 2020.

yep, you’re correct, it was the fact that it was an unprotected future year 1st rounder is what I was thinking of… the unknown nature of the pick is what screwed the Sharks…

Ripjiggen

From a GM standpoint you can’t plan like that. You can’t plan out what if’s to that degree for a deep draft.
    That’s just a big well that sucks moment…

I am sure they would rather protect next years first over this years but that is probably every GM in the league.

JoeMX1825
    MN

From a GM standpoint you can’t plan like that. You can’t plan out what if’s to that degree for a deep draft.
    That’s just a big well that sucks moment…

its also why alot of future year 1st round draft picks traded typically have some protection (Chicago’s 2022 top 3 protected pick for Seth Jones) or it rolls over the following year unprotected…
    I agree with typical drafts its not a big deal, but the 2023 draft is special, If a GM gambles it away and misses out on a Bedard, they are toast and could set the franchise back alot. If any 2023 1st round picks are traded at the deadline or draft I bet ya there’s protection on it…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I agree. And yeah we’ll never know the answer so that’s why we get to hash it out over a 100 page thread. Not to mention any significant injury to KK, Fiala, Ek, or Zuccy throws all these elaborate deadline trade plans right in the garbage.

Most playoff teams are in that same injury boat, but I agree the wild are probably a little more in danger if they lose a top forward.

Tom schmitt

I don’t see the wild making a big time deal for a big name unless a player like Dumba, Fiala, or Rask are part of it.
    Without one of those contracts I don’t see how they make it fit.
    Fiala could be included if BG doesn’t think he will sign.
    I don’t think anyone would want Rask, short of a huge package of draft picks.
    Bg seems to really like Dumba.
    So I see no significant move.

Tom schmitt

Of course now that I predicted that BG will make a move.

Ripjiggen

They have plenty of cap space for a rental and can shed even more if need be.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I havent watched or read a good explanation of how deadline deals work with regards to the salary cap. I know the salaries get prorated based on remaining games to be played, but that cant be all of it because there is a hard limit… if anybody finds a good link please share it..

Tom schmitt

Then I must not understand the cap correctly, as I looked at capfriendly at it showed only 1.5 million or something close.
    Giroux, miller, pavelsky are all in the 5-6 million range.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I don’t see the wild making a big time deal for a big name unless a player like Dumba, Fiala, or Rask are part of it.
    Without one of those contracts I don’t see how they make it fit.
    Fiala could be included if BG doesn’t think he will sign.
    I don’t think anyone would want Rask, short of a huge package of draft picks.
    Bg seems to really like Dumba.
    So I see no significant move.

There’s different rules at the deadline, taking on Claude Giroux and his $8.5 salary doesnt mean the Wild needs to be $8.5 Under the cap

JoeMX1825
    MN

Then I must not understand the cap correctly, as I looked at capfriendly at it showed only 1.5 million or something close.

They also show a “deadline capspace” value

Attachments:
    1. 1F37CC57-0B67-49E5-A430-62514C906C88.jpeg

Ripjiggen

The salary that is charged against a team’s cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the
    player’s average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team’s cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (186). The
    amount ($10,753) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (42 days if trade is on Feb. 28) to ascertain the amount charged against the team’s cap ($451,613).

This is the rule for a normal season.
    Every playoff team or at least the cup contenders are up against the cap. If you remember trades from last year most of the significant trades involved some salary retention from the seller.

Tom schmitt

Thanks for the education that explains why teams wait until the last minute for their trading

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom schmitt wrote:</div>

They also show a “deadline capspace” value

Not 100 percent sure how they calculate deadline cap space. If you compare this with other top playoff teams they are sitting pretty good.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,001 through 3,030 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.