2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• tswoboda

Very nice extension for Greenway and the Wild. Fair deal for both and I look forward to keeping him around. He get a lot of [self-induced] criticism for being lazy or unprofessional, but he seems like a real character in the Wild YouTube videos. His team picture smile is hilarious.

Anyone else ever notice Greenway’s voice sounds EXACTLY like the Superior Angling guy. I can’t remember his name but he used to be in IDO videos.

Attachments:
    1. jordan-greenway-2021-2331.jpg

Ripjiggen

Kaapo keeps playing himself into a big pay raise next year too…obviously his deal will need to overlap Talbot as Wallstedt likely won’t be ready to take over starter duties for another 2-3 years… Does GMBG look to move Talbot this offseason as a way to ease the pain of Kaapo’s new deal, Kaapo then gets the crease for 2-3 years?

A lot of moving parts but yea that is what happens in todays NHL with tight caps. Just what it is can’t sign everyone.
    Greenway signing mean Sturm likely walks? Dewey 2 moves to center?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Anyone else ever notice Greenway’s voice sounds EXACTLY like the Superior Angling guy. I can’t remember his name but he used to be in IDO videos.

Grant Sorenson?

tswoboda

Grant Sorenson?

Yes. Jordan Greenway and Grant Sorenson sound the exact same to me.

Ice Cap

Greenway has the same sentence construction problem as Gigi. They both could stand a review of Hooked On Phonics! jester BG has some treacherous waters to navigate in the upcoming months. Lots of moving pieces. Going to be hard to make a judgement of his ability until we see the team we have to play with next year.

CaptainMusky

Lots of moving pieces. Going to be hard to make a judgement of his ability until we see the team we have to play with next year.

Right but thankfully we have many months before we have to worry too much about that. We have a Stanley Cup Parade route to plan for.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sounds like the worlds biggest stoner to me…..would make sense with his play’s history as well….. mrgreen

Ice Cap

We have a Stanley Cup Parade route to plan for.

Oh boy you just put the bad juju on them now! smash

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kinda neat, Scott Wheeler asked The Athletic readers to guess his top 10 Prospect Pool rankings and a vast majority had the Wild 1st or 2nd with the Kings, just goes to show you how other fans think about our future…

His top10 starts tomorrow so we’ll see…

CaptainMusky

I really like Scotts work. That’s cool other fans think a team in flyover country has good talent. I will be surprised if they are top 5 but wallstedt and Rossi could push them over the top.

tswoboda

I really like Scotts work. That’s cool other fans think a team in flyover country has good talent. I will be surprised if they are top 5 but wallstedt and Rossi could push them over the top.

They will be top 5, 2 or 3 is my guess. Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt all have star potential. Then they have about a dozen prospects with legitimate middle 6/top 4 D upside. Remember Wheeler LOVES Rossi and and may have him ranked as low as number 3 for the Wild. I recently read wheelers ranking from last year. Khovanov at number 4 and Dewar outside the top 20, so he’s not exactly plugged in with the Wild’s depth prospects jester

Kings are the no doubt number 1. Rangers, senators, red wings, and Ducks all graduated their best prospects.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’d rank our top 15 prospects as follows:

1) Rossi (C)
    2) Boldy (W)
    3) Wallstedt (G)
    4) Addison (D)
    5) Lambos (D)
    6) Beckman (W)
    7) Khusnidhinov (C/W)
    8) Hunt (D)
    9) O’Rourke (D)
    10) Peart (D)
    11) Dewar (C/W)
    12) Nesterenko (W)
    13) Novak (W)
    14) Bankier (C)
    15) McBain (C)

Giroux (C), Pillar (W), Firstov (W), Warren (D), Khovanov (C) could possibly swap in the 15 slot….That top 10 list is pretty insane! Two wild card players who have the ability of quickly shooting up this chart next year in my opinion are Peart and Bankier. They have both flashed alot of progression this season and hopefully make big jumps next year (especially Peart)

Ice Cap

I would say any of those listed past #4 are eligible to bundled in a trade package. We can’t keep and play em all. Some of the pundits out there are saying this year is the Wilds window for making a Cup run and are going to need to do whatever it takes to bring some one like JT Miller or Tomas Hertl in even as a rental. The idea is the Wild are going to fade after this year because of the cap hell they are in and it may be three to 4 years before they are contending again. That’s if all these prospects perform as being advertised.

I don’t think BG has shown his cards yet if he views it this way or not. I feel the Wild should stand pat this season and see where they can go. I see no reason as of right now to disrupt the chemistry on this team.

tswoboda

Eric Staal named captain of the Canadian Olympic team. I know he kinda wore out his welcome in Minnesota, but it’s impossible to root against that guy.

Foligno and Dumba both out against the Blackhawks. Hopefully both get rested and healthy over the All-Star break but as predicted here, we’ll see lots of these maintenance days with the grueling schedule to finish the season.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would say any of those listed past #4 are eligible to bundled in a trade package. We can’t keep and play em all. Some of the pundits out there are saying this year is the Wilds window for making a Cup run and are going to need to do whatever it takes to bring some one like JT Miller or Tomas Hertl in even as a rental. The idea is the Wild are going to fade after this year because of the cap hell they are in and it may be three to 4 years before they are contending again. That’s if all these prospects perform as being advertised.

I don’t think BG has shown his cards yet if he views it this way or not. I feel the Wild should stand pat this season and see where they can go. I see no reason as of right now to disrupt the chemistry on this team.

I agree with most of this, except I do think GMBG feels adding a competent center for Fiala and Boldy could tip the scales towards winning a few rounds and then who knows if our goalie or scorers get red hot?!? My guess is that the Wild would prefer a rental vs somebody with term left and to only give up this years 1st or 2nd round pick and maybe one of the defensive prospects since we have so many at the moment…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Sounds like no foligno or Dumba tomorrow…..

CaptainMusky

I would say any of those listed past #4 are eligible to bundled in a trade package. We can’t keep and play em all. Some of the pundits out there are saying this year is the Wilds window for making a Cup run and are going to need to do whatever it takes to bring some one like JT Miller or Tomas Hertl in even as a rental.

I would love either of those guys, but since they both have term left they arent truly a rental. The only rentals really are Giroux and Pavelski. Russo hasnt really talked about potential moves lately, but he was one of the first to talk about Miller months ago when Vancouver was just terrible. Now Boudreau comes in and they have been playing pretty good. The only way the Wild could swing either of those guys is if they sent someone with term the other way. I dont know if theyd do that in the middle of a potential run.

tswoboda

Hertl is a UFA after this season, so also a rental. Miller is the only big name without a NTC, so that may play a factor. But yeah I agree if they get Miller or anyone with term, that has major implications on the roster next season. That would require 2 out of 3 of Miller, Fiala, Dumba would be traded this off-season.

I DO think Billy G has a major deadline move planned though. They’re accruing as much cap space as possible right now with the taxi squad assignments between games.

CaptainMusky

I DO think Billy G has a major deadline move planned though. They’re accruing as much cap space as possible right now with the taxi squad assignments between games.

I agree with you, but the whole Taxi squad is going away after the all star break so they will lose that opportunity. It was just announced this morning. I guess that was always the plan, but I hadnt seen it referenced before today.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hertl would be a rental as he’s a UFA next year, but the cost to get him will be so high that you would basically want assurances that he would be willing to sign with you long term and that your capspace would even allow it, not in the Wilds cards unfortunately..

Giroux or Pavelski are the two I see as having the greatest impact and the best fit for the Wild and their age wouldn’t command the huge prices…It will come down if they want to play for the Wild and if the Wild are willing to pay what other teams will…

I think they will try to get Giroux

CaptainMusky

Giroux or Pavelski are the two I see as having the greatest impamct and the best fit for the Wild and their age wouldn’t command the huge price…It will come down if they want to play for the Wild and if the Wild are willing to pay what other teams will…

You guys remember who the GM of the Flyers is right? He was always a big fan of Dumba….

CaptainMusky

Remember Wheeler LOVES Rossi and and may have him ranked as low as number 3 for the Wild. I recently read wheelers ranking from last year.

Wheeler actually has a photo of Rossi on the initial article that he keeps updating. -) He sure does have a special place in his heart for him. And we all will soon.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Giroux or Pavelski are the two I see as having the greatest impamct and the best fit for the Wild and their age wouldn’t command the huge price…It will come down if they want to play for the Wild and if the Wild are willing to pay what other teams will…

You guys remember who the GM of the Flyers is right? He was always a big fan of Dumba….

It sounds like Fletcher wants to demo the team and get younger, not sure 28 year old Dumba fits in those plans (and talk about throwing a grenade in the lockerroom right before the playoffs) definatley check back in the offseason though to see if there’s interest in Dumba, but they will need Defenders with only Provorov, Sandhiem and York signed…I could see Fletcher wanting Lambos for sure though…Flyers will be huge sellers at the deadline as they have alot of pending UFA’s and alot of capspace next year…

CaptainMusky

It sounds like Fletcher wants to demo the team and get younger, not sure 28 year old Dumba fits in those plans, but they will need Defenders with only Provorov, Sandhiem and York signed…I could see Fletcher wanting Lambos for sure though…Flyers will be huge sellers at the deadline as they have alot of pending UFA’s and alot of capspace next year…

I hadnt looked at their D before, but I see they only have 3 D signed next year and one is on an ELC. They really dont have many players returning. That team will look very different next year.

Ripjiggen

I think there is no doubt BG is getting some heat from the owner to try and make a run this year. The owners have lost money the last few years and the only way to generate more revenue is a playoff run.
    Sounds like Miller will take a bit of a kings ransoms to get as Old Rutherford has already come out and said you better have your best offer in well before the deadline.
    To me standing pat does nothing. There are only so many D positions to open up and you have a log jam of prospects there. I would say anyone outside the top 3 are available.
    I would doubt anyone from the big club would be available for salary swapping reasons unless it’s maybe Fiala.
    Obviously Rask from a money standpoint but not sure who would take that outside of a couple teams.

Ice Cap

Well if you’re going to move Fiala at or before the deadline it kind of takes the purpose out of bringing in some hot dog center doesn’t it? Especially if you’re talking a rental. Besides that would throw a grenade into the locker the same as if you moved Dumba or probably even Greenway for that matter. I just don’t see how we get the piece that is going to make that much of a impact without crippling the team during the season which is why I think standing pat and dance with the one who brung you is the best option.

This team is rolling and they are clearly a tight group. Let it roll.

CaptainMusky

This team is rolling and they are clearly a tight group. Let it roll.

I dont hate the idea of doing nothing, but BG has made it clear in just about any interview I have heard of him that he is all about making the team better. Hes not going to pull the pin on a grenade and toss it into the locker room unless he thinks it will make the team better either near or long term. It will be interesting to see as we get closer to the deadline. He made a comment just yesterday that he “didnt know if they were going to do anything at the deadline”.

tswoboda

There’s no chance Dumba, Fiala, or anyone else significant is getting trade during the season. Where did that idea even come from? They have plenty of cap space to acquire a rental. If they need more, they can include Rask or a 4th/5th round pick to eat half the salary. Any team trading a rental will have plenty of space to take on Rask.

It’s the exact same scenario as when the Wild got Galchenyuk in the Zucker trade.

Ice Cap

And speaking of Miller another pundit weighs in.

Does A J.T. Miller Trade Make Sense For The Wild?

Ice Cap

There’s no chance Dumba, Fiala, or anyone else significant is getting trade during the season. Where did that idea even come from? They have plenty of cap space to acquire a rental. If they need more, they can include Rask or a 4th/5th round pick to eat half the salary. Any team trading a rental will have plenty of space to take on Rask.

It’s the exact same scenario as when the Wild got Galchenyuk in the Zucker trade.

Agreed. The idea comes from it’s a likely inevitability one or both of them go during the off season anyhow. I actually think the Wild could survive the rest of the season if Dumba were moved just fine if it were not for his locker room darling status. His defensive lapses seem to be getting more glaring and more frequent lately. Addison could step in and be just fine.

Viewing 30 posts - 2,971 through 3,000 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.