2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• Ripjiggen

#1 focus until KK starts sniping. lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Some recognizable names sent to waivers recently. Whether they have anything left in the tank may be another question, but the teams are citing the salary cap for the reasoning for dumping them.

CaptainMusky

Yeah it would be great if Fiala could keep up the pace be had at the end of the season but that’s probably not realistic. I just hope he controls his emotions a lot more than how he composed himself in the playoffs. He was targeted and he got unglued. Needs to be more composed there is more skill developing around him and coming no sense putting your team shorthanded.

CaptainMusky

Lots of big names sent to waivers recently. Whether they have anything left in the tank may be another question, but the teams are citing the salary cap for the reasoning for dumping them.

Yeah Tyler Johnson waived by TB in a way to free up cap space. He was offered a contract by the wild back in the day but signed with TB because he thought he could get more ice time. Funny, looking at their lineup now but he got a ring. Will be interesting to see who on the waiver wire will get claimed. He would be one I’d think.

JoeMX1825
    MN

He wont get claimed at $5 million per year…he already cleared waivers this summer, he’ll clear again. He’s Tampa’s problem until they decide to eat alot of his salary in a trade, something they can’t do.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Louie Errickson and Corey Perry also. Both haven’t done much a couple years.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Errickson has what’s widely considered the Worst contract in NHL history, I think he’s been on waivers basically for the last 3+ years…nobody is going to take on a bad contract from waivers.

Most teams have finalized their rosters and their GM budgets are likely frozen in an attempt to save money this shortened zero revenue season.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I do think this will put extra emphasis on the trade deadline as teams in the hunt put all their cards in to win the cup is this oddball season. That’s good news for teams like the Wild who have several proven playoff veterans available on expiring contracts.

CaptainMusky

Right, if the Wild are not in the hunt, even if they are, BG could do some fleecing at the deadline.

Ripjiggen

I do think this will put extra emphasis on the trade deadline as teams in the hunt put all their cards in to win the cup is this oddball season. That may be good news for teams like the Wild who have several veterans available on expiring contracts.

I fixed it for you. shock

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I do think this will put extra emphasis on the trade deadline as teams in the hunt put all their cards in to win the cup is this oddball season. That may be good news for teams like the Wild who have several veterans available on expiring contracts.

I’d absolutely call Johannson, Bonino, Foligno and to lesser extent Pateryn proven, they will be highly sought after…

I know folks like Foligno, but he’ll want $3.5-$4 million per season, thats too much for a borderline 3rd line wing…perhaps they resign him as a free agent in the summer, but dont miss out on getting picks for him at the deadline like we did with Staal 2 years ago…

CaptainMusky

I’d absolutely call Johannson, Bonino, Foligno and to lesser extent Pateryn proven, they will be highly sought after…

I agree 100%. Those guys will have people interested in them no doubt at the deadline. I think Pateryn perhaps doesnt get enough credit either, but when he was healthy he was pretty dang good on the PK. Unfortunately he was hurt so much.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just looking at our opening night roster, my god has our center position ever looked this bad? Ek will never be better than a #3 center, but I think he fills that slot perfectly. Rossi being out hurts as he would likely be our #2C even as a rookie…
    I think you’ll see the even strength offense really really struggle this year as our wings have zero creativity feeding them the puck from the center position. Hope is on the way (2-3 years) in terms of center prospects, but it will take trading Dumba to get a proven 2C until then….

Ripjiggen

Maybe..

Bonino yes but still a role player.
    Marcus Johansson has to play well in order to be valued. He is on his fourth team in 3 years. And probably not the player he once was.
    Folingo probabaly most valuable asset but doesn’t have much playoff experience.
    Probably doesn’t matter.
    Pateryn is not getting you much in return if anything. And does not have proven playoff experience.

I guess only time will tell. Going to be an odd season that is for sure.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

What makes you think the shortened season will help the rental market? I think it will be the opposite but only time will tell. NHL GMs are usually pretty passive when it comes to trades (until they feel job security pressure) and this year they have the best excuse ever to do nothing at the deadline.

There’s only like 3-4 weeks from the trade deadline to start of playoffs.
    Will players have to quarantine when traded? I would assume so
    Can players even get traded to/from Canadian teams?

If anything helps the rental market it will be the flat cap and the seller’s ability to retain salary.

tswoboda

Maybe..

Marcus Johansson has to play well in order to be valued. He is on his fourth team in 3 years. And probably not the player he once was.
    Probably doesn’t matter.
    Pateryn is not getting you much in return if anything. And does not have proven playoff experience.

More of a quantity over quality:

Johansson
    Bonino
    Foligno
    Bjugstad
    Hartman
    Pateryn
    Hunt

MoJo has been traded multiple times and the deadline and performed well. Bonino has a proven playoff track record. Bjugstad could get a pick if he plays #1c all year. Foligno and Hartman should be extended if they will sign in the $2m range or less. Hunt is worth zero as a trade asset and Pateryn probably not much more.

No one on that list is worth a #1 pick so I think the best they can shoot for is a fire sale and get multiple #3-#5 picks.

CaptainMusky

What makes you think the shortened season will help the rental market? I think it will be the opposite but only time will tell. NHL GMs are usually pretty passive when it comes to trades (until they feel job security pressure) and this year they have the best excuse ever to do nothing at the deadline.

I think it will help merely because the Cap remained flat and teams really couldnt do much in the free agency period with everything up in the air and how last year’s season finished so late. This year with the shortened season and teams up against it cap wise I think will be looking to deal if they are in win now mode and think they are a piece or two away. Look at Boston, they have the WORST prospect pool in the NHL. They are definitely win now mode. If they feel they need something they are going to make a push. Trouble is there isnt much for prospects in their system, but picks always work.
    I dont think the fact that Johannson has been on so many teams recently is necessarily an indictment on his play, I mean, teams are still taking chances on him. He had quite the playoffs with the Bruins a few years ago and is a good puck facilitator.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Maybe..

Probably doesn’t matter.

More of a quantity over quality:

Johansson
    Bonino
    Foligno
    Bjugstad
    Hartman
    Pateryn
    Hunt

MoJo has been traded multiple times and the deadline and performed well. Bonino has a proven playoff track record. Bjugstad could get a pick if he plays #1c all year. Foligno and Hartman should be extended if they will sign in the $2m range or less. Hunt is worth zero as a trade asset and Pateryn probably not much more.

No one on that list is worth a #1 pick so I think the best they can shoot for is a fire sale and get multiple #3-#5 picks.

Agree that was kind of my point. Don’t think you are fleecing GM’s and getting a ton in return for the players mentioned. Assets yes…valuable MEH…time will tell.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think teams will be holding off on trades until late in the season as there are so many unknowns with covid still, why make a deal now and perhaps things go south and they have to cancel the season? or your team has an outbreak around game 25 and you go on a 10 game losing streak? If we get to deadline time, the GM’s know the league will push forward in a bubble again and complete the playoffs and award the cup, so it will be a mad rush to improve your team before going in for the best shot.

Just my thinking…We all hope covid gets to the point where its not an issue but I dont think that will be until NEXT season.

CaptainMusky

Agree that was kind of my point. Don’t think you are fleecing GM’s and getting a ton in return for the players mentioned. Assets yes…valuable MEH…time will tell.

Anything in return for some of those guys is great since some of them wont be back regardless so that is a win. Turn Pateryn into a 5th Rounder. We had one in the past that might turn out pretty dang good. -)

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m not talking about fleecing anybody, we dont have top players to trade (like a Taylor Hall) but we do have the gritty role type players teams love to slot into their lineups to win the cup.

I expect the Wild get several 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks unloading our expiring contract players and our GM and top scout have shown they like to use those types of picks to upgrade their draft picks in the top rounds and move up to grab good players vs settling on who falls to them, you can’t do that without draft capital.

Make no mistake, even though they won’t publicly say it, the Wild are in a 1-2 year rebuild, they are planning their next run around the core of Fiala, Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, Spurgeon, Addison, Dumba/Brodin, anybody else is just filling a slot/need or has a contract they can’t unload. The only big gap we still have is the #1/#2 Center slot (depending on how Rossi improves the next year or so)

CaptainMusky

Joe, I made the fleecing comment, which was a bit of sarcasm but its funny how one silly word boosts the thread. LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe, I made the fleecing comment, which was a bit of sarcasm but its funny how one silly word boosts the thread. LOL

Hehe, it was good though, we do need to set expectations on what the expected return will be… there will be no 1st or 2nd rounders coming our way back in any trades..

CaptainMusky

Hehe, it was good though, we do need to set expectations on what the expected return will be… there will be no 1st or 2nd rounders coming our way back in any trades..

Absolutely not. We would only potentially get something like that if we were to trade a guy we should never trade like Fiala or KK if he has a good season. Those guys are about the only untouchables on this team. At least for now anyway.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yup, we’re not that far off, our new core is as good as any in the NHL…

New Core:Fiala, Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, Spurgeon, Addison, Dumba/Brodin

We can use future drafts and FA/Trades to fill the gaps (Another top Wing and Center and a Goalie)

CaptainMusky

We can use future drafts and FA/Trades to fill the gaps (Another top Wing and Center and a Goalie)

Right! If we had a legit 1C or 2C right now we would almost be a lock for the playoffs. As it is now many of the experts are actually saying the Wild make the playoffs considering who they are stacked up against and the fact that AZ already packed it in and SJ/LA really are not ready to contend at all. They commented on how we may not have a powerhouse #1 line, but we have more depth than almost any other team. Essentially a forward group of #2 or #3 lines, but all the way through the lineup which will be an advantage as they can play up the lineup. Couple that with returning the same D corps and what should be an improved goal tending situation it should account for a few more wins.
    Dom Lucz$%^I#n from the Athletic broke it down pretty nice the other day. No idea how to spell or say his last name LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think Florida Panthers might be a team the Wild focuses on in a trade. They have 2 exceptional Goalie prospects (Levy and Knight) and Sergie Bobrovsky signed for another 6 YEARS!! They also just drafted Anton Lundell who projects to be a great #2 center for his career or maybe there’s a blockbuster deal that could get us Alex Barkov? They also have capspace so they could absorb a contract like Dumba’s and not have to trade back a contract to make the money work.

The fact that they are in different Conference/Division helps too…

For fun, Here’s a few trade scenarios to chew on:

Wild: Gets Alex Barkov
    Florida: Gets Matt Dumba + Boldy or one of our 1st round picks this year and a 2nd tier prospect like Khovanov or Beckman.

or

Wild: Gets Devon Levi and Anton Lundell
    Florida: Gets Dumba and a a 2nd tier prospect like Khovanov or Beckman.

tswoboda

I’m not talking about fleecing anybody, we dont have top players to trade (like a Taylor Hall) but we do have the gritty role type players teams love to slot into their lineups to win the cup.

The factor to the rental market that I didn’t mention is the record number of 1 year UFA signings. The market will be flooded with mid level players on expiring contracts.

Maybe a bit optimistic, no? Not a single all star or NHL award winner in that group.

tswoboda

Dom Lucz$%^I#n from the Athletic broke it down pretty nice the other day. No idea how to spell or say his last name LOL

**Dom Loose-chicken

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.