2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

That is the really fun part is watching these kids on a big stage as youngsters and then seeing them in the NHL. There was a TON of talent out there last night and really all tournament. I didnt give the US much chance at the start either. I figured they would contend and probably win Bronze. Finland was my “Silver” medal winner, but this is why they play the games.
    Some of those camera shots of Knight close up during whistles eerily reminded me of Jimmy Craig. He was a wall last night!
    Boldy didnt get any points but his line was the reason both goals were scored last night. The first goal they wore Canada down with a long shift and then the next line scored when Canada was stuck in their end.
    What a performance!
    Did you guys see the trash can? LOL
    Apparently there is a backstory about it being a “barrel” and crossing the desert on barrels or something one barrel at a time, but when they brought it out on the ice and it had a Canadian flag on there the fans were outraged on Twitter. LOL

CaptainMusky

Reading stuff like this and we remember these are kids and what this is all about:

“American and Russian players bonding in hotel lobby this morning. American player gets on our bus to airport shirtless (he had been wearing his jersey).

“The Russians wanted it.””
    Too Great! We get so caught up in all the mess in the World and perceived hatred between countries etc, but then you see something like this and realize its not engrained its learned. These kids are awesome!

CaptainMusky

Here’s the backstory on the barrel.

Attachments:
    1. ErBtzJvUcAAuHN2.jpg

tswoboda

Regardless of the story behind the barrel, the optics are Team USA took their championship pictures with a garbage can with Team Canada logo on it. They have to realize the internet trolls of the world are going to turn that into a story – and by they I mean coaches and management.

Zegras, Turcotte, and Kaliyev shared a chartered flight to SoCal with Byfield and Drysdale either last night or this morning so they could avoid the full quarantine. Awkward.

CaptainMusky

Regardless of the story behind the barrel, the optics are Team USA took their championship pictures with a garbage can with Team Canada logo on it. They have to realize the internet trolls of the world are going to turn that into a story – and by they I mean coaches and management.

I agree. I am guessing that there was a logo for each team leading into each game, but the optics are exactly as you say.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

They have to realize the internet trolls of the world are going to turn that into a story – and by they I mean coaches and management.

Impossible to stay away from this Canada Crying. Canada is notorious for manufacturing outrage directed at the US after every Canadian fail. There will always be some slight or snub, if it wasn’t the barrel, it would have been the Americans not standing still enough for the Canadian anthem, etc, etc.

During the Vancouver Olympics, the bussing of spectators from Vancouver to the alpine events was snarled day after day because the authorized spectator busses couldn’t make it up a very steep section of road that became impossibly slick during each snowfall. It later emerged that no one on the Canadian logistics team had ever driven the route in a bus OR during a snowfall.

Instead of just admitting the mistake, the Canadian organizers issued a press release blaming “American bus contractors” for providing substandard buses without suitable winter tires. Then it emerged that every “American” bus used to transport spectators had passed a mandatory Canadian safety inspection that included signing off on the tires. It also emerged that Canadian busses had no better success in making it up the slippery section of road.

In the same olympics, the infamous soft ice at the speed skating oval venue caused it to be nicknamed the Slowval. You guessed it, the organizers blamed American equipment for not working properly.

Whatever the Canadian failure is, something American is always the root cause.

Ripjiggen

It just adds to the rivalry.

CaptainMusky

During the Vancouver Olympics, the bussing of spectators from Vancouver to the alpine events was snarled day after day because the authorized spectator busses couldn’t make it up a very steep section of road that became impossibly slick during each snowfall. It later emerged that no one on the Canadian logistics team had ever driven the route in a bus OR during a snowfall.

Instead of just admitting the mistake, the Canadian organizers issued a press release blaming “American bus contractors” for providing substandard buses without suitable winter tires. Then it emerged that every “American” bus used to transport spectators had passed a mandatory Canadian safety inspection that included signing off on the tires. It also emerged that Canadian busses had no better success in making it up the slippery section of road.

In the same olympics, the infamous soft ice at the speed skating oval venue caused it to be nicknamed the Slowval. You guessed it, the organizers blamed American equipment for not working properly.

Whatever the Canadian failure is, something American is always the root cause.

That is a very interesting piece of history and do not recall hearing about that before. Wow.

Canada is just so incensed about hockey. The sad part is that this tourney was only available to limited households in the US due to it being on NHL Network. It truly was an incredible tourney. TSN owned the rights obviously, but that is in essentially every household in Canada or at least far more than NHL Network is.
    All I have been reading from Canadian fans, beside the trash can thing, is that the US didnt win, Canada lost. They say they didnt play well the first half of the game. Well why do you suppose that is? Because the US was dictating play and slamming it down their throats. At the very beginning in the 1st I thought the US was going to be in trouble, but then that shift by Boldy’s line turned the tied and a goal followed. From there the floodgates opened and the US was dominant for the next 20 plus minutes of play.
    So, Canada didnt allow a 5×5 goal, last night they allowed 2. Only allowed 2 goals twice. That is a heckuva tourney, but they did have the easier group vs the US IMO.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I enjoyed this one.

Attachments:
    1. F2A2C12D-0CC7-4F63-901F-726E5B4AE60A.jpeg

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I have been out of the loop on the Wild s bit. Any word on how the goaltender competition is shaping up?

Ripjiggen

Well stallock is injured so I don’t think there is much competition. It’s Talbot as 1A and Kakko and Hammond to backup and play in Iowa.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hey Canada, Win the damn game and you don’t have to worry about any trash can on the ice! USA now a perfect 4-0 against Canada in gold medal games, we’re in their heads…

JoeMX1825
    MN

first scrimmage to watch him is tomorrow night!

CaptainMusky

Yes! Wild Youtube channel. That doesnt require a subscription youtubetv right?

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Yes! Wild Youtube channel. That doesnt require a subscription youtubetv right?

Don’t think so, didn’t last year

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Does anyone have the Fox Sports Go app?
    What does a guy pay for that?
    I assume I’d have to download the app on my Roku & then subscribe?

CaptainMusky

Does anyone have the Fox Sports Go app?
    What does a guy pay for that?
    I assume I’d have to download the app on my Roku & then subscribe?

The app is free but to watch any of the programming you have to have a service that carries FSN. It requires you to select provider and then log in through that service. So wherever FSN is available now, you can get it, but otherwise no go.
    I use the app a fair amount when not at home and it works well. Too bad they dont work out something for a streaming service for those that dont want the corded or DirecTV options. I am fairly sure it is only usable on handheld devices, nothing like a Roku or Firestick.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

I am fairly sure it is only usable on handheld devices, nothing like a Roku or Firestick.

I’m not sure on firestick/Roku, but they do have a app on xbox.

CaptainMusky

Regarding the Minnesota Wild Channel on Youtube, I have never watched anything on there before and I dont have a smart tv downstairs, but I do have a Roku. So, I can get to Youtube and I searched for Minnesota Wild, believe I found the channel, but it doesnt list like an upcoming schedule for the scrimmage. Has anyone else checked to see if they see it? It has all sorts of stuff on there and lists some upcoming things with Ryan Carter, but I dont see the scrimmages.

AnotherFisherman

Regarding the Minnesota Wild Channel on Youtube, I have never watched anything on there before and I dont have a smart tv downstairs, but I do have a Roku. So, I can get to Youtube and I searched for Minnesota Wild, believe I found the channel, but it doesnt list like an upcoming schedule for the scrimmage. Has anyone else checked to see if they see it? It has all sorts of stuff on there and lists some upcoming things with Ryan Carter, but I dont see the scrimmages.

Yep you are in the right spot! It will start around 7 and you’ll be golden.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, they just pop up the video on the main feed window…last year they had a few scrimmages streamed during the comeback but those were in the practice rink, tonight and sunday nights scrimmages will be at the X so the camera angles will be alot better. As long as you can project your internet device screen to your tv (apple tv, airplay, roku, chromecast, ect you can watch the game on your big tv

Sounds like Columbus and Dallas are already running into COVID issues…

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Yep you are in the right spot! It will start around 7 and you’ll be golden.

Sweet! Thanks!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Took them 3/4 of the 1st period but it sounds like they got the in-game audio figured out…5 year wait to finally see #97 in green

JoeMX1825
    MN

I was turned off by the scrimmage format (not televising the powerplay work so there were long intermissions) so I missed most of the 2nd and 3rd periods but I did catch Kaprizov’s goal, it was the type of offensive skill this franchise has been missing since Gaborik. I was surprised how much he has the puck on his stick whens he’s on the ice, I think if he’s on the ice with Fiala they would each be fighting for it constantly. Keep them on separate lines and power plays and spread the offensive wealth.

His goal:

Not bad for a 5th rounder

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I did catch Kaprizov’s goal, it was the type of offensive skill this franchise has been missing since Gaborik. I was surprised how much he has the puck on his stick whens he’s on the ice, I think if he’s on the ice with Fiala they would each be fighting for it constantly. Keep them on separate lines and power plays and spread the offensive wealth.

He is very, very good in close. We’ve seen similar highlights from the KHL, he has so much control. He’s going to be a damn nightmare in shootouts.

I agree, keep Fiala and Kaprisov on separate lines and spread the pressure out.

The power play #1 lineup: Fiala-Parise-Kaprisov with Dumba and Spurgeon. Wow. Absolutely no ability for a team to cheat toward the perceived biggest threat. Will be interesting to see if Bjugstad comes to life because man it would be nice to have the option to park his big body in the middle and take away the goalie’s sight lines.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

We just cannot have nice things. Rossi out indefinitely with an upper body injury.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fiala-Parise-Kaprisov

The problem with that is there’s no right handed shot. Assuming Parise is in front of the net. Dumba and Spurgeon are both right handed shots but Spurgeon is not a shooter. It’s vital to have the threat of a one timer from more than one angle.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.