2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• tswoboda

I keep wondering where Mennell’s head is at with the Wild Organization. He was developing nicely and opted to sign in KHL this year. Wild still own his rights, but wonder if he did that because he thought he was too far down the depth chart? If the Wild move some D pieces like say a Dumba, does he return to Iowa next season for a shot with the big club?

Regardless of the reasons he signed in the KHL this year, he took a big gamble on himself and he looks like a genius right now.

#1 He’s actually playing – the AHL isn’t staring until February and will only be 40some games this year. Not to mention Mennell could have been dumped on the Wild taxi squad.
    #2 He’s collecting a waaaayyyy bigger salary than he would have in the AHL
    #3 He’s playing big minutes and putting up big points. He’s second in points among all defensemen.

He managed to turn a garbage development year into a ton of experience and a big paycheck! Who knows how this will all play out for him with the Wild organization, but they certainly didn’t seem happy that he left. If the Wild don’t want him I’m sure he’s getting enough attention around the league that another team will put him in the NHL.

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot bigger market for a skilled puck moving defensemen than a Greg Pateryn/Nick Seeler type. Menell would at least be a lot more fun for me to watch than seeing Seeler rim a puck around the boards or high off the glass every time it comes near him… dude literally couldn’t make a tape to tape pass.

CaptainMusky

Those are very valid points. The silver lining is that if he ever wants to play in the NHL, it will be up to the Wild to either sign him or trade him. I’d like to see him make the team because he has a nice skillset, but if we could get a potential Center prospect in return in a trade wouldnt bother me much we do have depth at D with Addison in Iowa too who will likely be on the taxi squad, at least I would think he would. I havent seen those players listed yet, but I believe Russo commented as such.
    Also, no Fiala on the ice today. I havent seen the reasoning, but hopefully its not illness or injury related. He had been skating at the rink around Christmas I know.

CaptainMusky

Also, no Fiala on the ice today. I havent seen the reasoning, but hopefully its not illness or injury related. He had been skating at the rink around Christmas I know.

Turns out it is “precautionary” so I am guessing he didnt get results on a COVID test, was potentially exposed to someone who had it or something. He did skate after practice.

Also, all game times have been released and it actually could have been a LOT worse. There are many games that start at 8 central, lots of Saturday afternoon games, etc. Still the 9:00 start times too, but not as bad as it could have been.

Ripjiggen

A lot of talk about Suter and Parise and understandable. I think however the zuccarello signing may be the worst contract the wild will have to deal with and may stall some prospects moving into impact roles in the big club.

JoeMX1825
    MN

A lot of talk about Suter and Parise and understandable. I think however the zuccarello signing may be the worst contract the wild will have to deal with and may stall some prospects moving into impact roles in the big club.

Can’t argue with that…panic move by Fenton for sure…Only hope is that he returns to his previous production level once he gets healthy…
    His buyout hit in 2 years isn’t that bad though…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The sooner we trade him, the “less worse” the return/result will be for the Wild..BillyG and the Wild front office all know this, but of course so does every other GM/front office in the league…

The fact that every team knows that’s what the Wild would be trying to do will guarantee that we would never get a player in return that would come anywhere close to matching Parise’s current production. Nor would we ever get a team to take him at anything close to full salary.

Also, there is the risk that Parise would either maintain or increase his productivity in his final years. How awesome would that be? Trade a player, for a lesser-producing player, while still eating salary, AND then watch him do exactly what we thought he wouldn’t do. The lose-lose-lose trifecta.

Sometimes the lowest risk move is to do nothing which is exactly what I think the Wild should do. That would only change if a playoff-desperate GM would be willing to an actual value trade for an expansion-protected player. Even if the Wild had to eat some salary it would be money well spent in terms of protection of a more valuable asset.

Zuccarello is easily the worst contract that a Wild GM has ever signed, but then again, Fenton was easily the worst GM the Wild have ever had. And that’s saying something because Riseboro was really, really bad…

Grouse

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

NHL.com has an article talking about how Kaprisov impressed the team in the first practice while skating with Parise and Bjugstad.

CaptainMusky

Boldy sacrifices his face gets a double minor called and scores a PP goal. Saweet

Ripjiggen

What a third period. U.S. Canada going to be fun to watch. Boldy lays out and blocks a bomb of a shot with 13 seconds left.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Boldy totally reminds me of a bigger Joe Sakic on the ice. Same skating style, quick release, nose for the puck, can do it all…

That tells you something when the coach puts him out on the ice with a minute to go up by 1, those are the types of guys you want in your organization!

Big game tomorrow! USA is 3-0 against Canada in gold medal games!

CaptainMusky

Excited for the game tonight, but I am not too sure about USA’s chances. Man, Canada is good, but great that they have a shot. Boldy was unreal last night.

CaptainMusky

Nice little video segment on Kaprizov from NHL.com – https://www.nhl.com/news/wild-kirill-kaprizov-on-top-line-at-first-practice/c-319979354?tid=277548856

That segment was from a few weeks ago and I saw it live on the air. It was just after he got here and was just able to get on the ice. The comments from Talbot and Parise are very encouraging.
    Russo tweeting out PP lines and for those that have been clamoring for it no Suter on PP1. -)
    KK97, Parise (center), Fiala, Dumba and Spurgeon.
    The puck movement by this group will be very fun to watch!!! Parise has been taking a lot of faceoffs in practice to prep for this. Just a PP thing.

This is an absolute gem posted during last nights world junior game with Dumba and KK watching. LOL

JoeMX1825
    MN

lol – not sure what planet Askarov’s mind was on last night…definitely not earth…

CaptainMusky

lol – not sure what planet Askarov’s mind was on last night…definitely not earth…

I heard all the people talking about it, but I was flipping between another program and missed it all. He is certainly a very active/aggressive goalie. The pxp guys were commenting how he his a history of losing his stick and seemed to be more settled down than from previous years. Which is good I guess, but has a ways to go.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didn’t catch the news or see anything online last night, what was the reason for keeping Fiala out yesterday? inconclusive covid test?

CaptainMusky

I didn’t catch the news or see anything online last night, what was the reason for keeping Fiala out yesterday? inconclusive covid test?

All Russo said yesterday was it was for “precautionary reasons”. He practiced today, but I havent read anything further and we probably will not hear. Sounds like Fiala was about to go on the ice and they sent him back (and he was pissed about it) so everyone was speculating it was something relating to COVID.

tswoboda

Kunin hasn’t signed a contract in Nashville yet and is not on the ice for the short training camp. Billy G should offer sheet him just to throw a big FU at the Preds, how fun would that be.

CaptainMusky

Kunin hasn’t signed a contract in Nashville yet and is not on the ice for the short training camp. Billy G should offer sheet him just to throw a big FU at the Preds, how fun would that be.

That would be hilarious! I’m actually surprised no one has offer sheeted Barzal. Also sounds like Dubois who just signed a contract for CBJ may want out. He’d look good in Christmas colors. Trouble is rumor has it he wants to be in a “big market” not sure we qualify. No way he’d re-sign here I don’t think when those 2 years are up.

CaptainMusky

USA holding their own so far but man Canada is just smothering. Our back end is pretty dang good flanked by 3 Gophers.

Ripjiggen

Good first period. Boldy Caulfield line looks strong again.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

USA playing Canada tough, but there’s nothing as precarious as a two-goal lead

Canada getting the home team discount on icing waveoffs leading to some changes now in 3rd.

CaptainMusky

Man, it’s honestly amazing how skilled these kids are now. My Lord! Excellent game so far. The US D is top notch.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The big ice makes a huge difference in play. There is just so much more maneuvering room out there and all of these high-skilled players take advantage of it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Knight just stops a huge breakaway. Huge save for usa. Canada is running out of time here.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

USA USA USA USA GOLD!!!

2-0 USA with brilliant play on both ends of the ice. Knight stands on his head to keep the shutout.

Canada was clearly having trouble handling the red hot pace the US laid on them from the opening drop. I would agree with the announcers statement that Canada hadn’t really been tested in this tournament but now.

Great win for USA.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

What a masterful all around game by team USA!! Fun to watch, Boldy was a major piece of that team…

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Boldy was a major piece of that team…

Boldy was by far the most effective deep zone player on ANY team in this derby. He absolutely has a gift for moving the puck or killing time. Boldy to Kaprizov, SCORE! Sorry, dreaming a bit here…

What a fun game but how did Knight not win tournament MVP? Zegra’s accomplishments weren’t small peanuts but Knight deserved the MVP. And Levi makes first team over Knight? Unreal canucker bias, once again.

CaptainMusky

I think the only reason Knight didn’t get it is he had a clunker against Russia and didn’t play the next game. Otherwise he was lights out. How about the fact both he and Levi are drafted by same team?

Grouse this was played on “a big sheet” this is an NHL sized rink. Normally it would be olympic size or international size but this was moved to Edmonton due to the pandemic.

tswoboda

I think the only reason Knight didn’t get it is he had a clunker against Russia and didn’t play the next game. Otherwise he was lights out. How about the fact both he and Levi are drafted by same team?

Grouse this was played on “a big sheet” this is an NHL sized rink. Normally it would be olympic size or international size but this was moved to Edmonton due to the pandemic.

I was just going to say the same things. Rogers Place is where the Oilers play and the NHL bubble was… 200 x 85 NHL sized ice sheet.

I thought the US had next to no chance going into this game but I was clearly wrong. They jumped on team Canada from the opening drop and controlled the first half of the game. You could see the momentum change half way through the second period, but the US was able to protect the lead and Knight was obviously outstanding.

Knight had a great tournament sans game 1, and a perfect gold medal game. Levi was perfect most of the tournament and still good enough to win last night. Zegras was the most dangerous player on the ice in every game. Bo Byram is scary good, but I thought he had a terrible (for him) game last night. He looked really shaky and lost the puck with no one near him a lot. The Avalanche D group is going to be unreal in a couple years.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.