2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

Got my 4 games today for being a season ticket holder. 2 Colorado 1 Blues and 1 Sharks. Looking forward to a live game.

Congrats!

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    good article by Russo on the Wild /Kaprizov contract talks… I guess his agent is in town today to start discussions… Sounds like long-term is the most likely outcome but 5-8 years and the caphit will be the negotiation…

Either way it sounds like the Wild are likely going to need to trade Fiala at some point as I just don’t see how the Wild can afford both of them AND some sort of upgrade at Center for the long term projections of this team…

This was indeed a good read, but some of the comments provided to Russo by execs and agents with what they think the ask is going to be has me very nervous. Man, those numbers are going to be tough. They will definitely back-load the salary to the later years to make it better during the lean times when revenue isnt coming in. I was hoping for an 8×6 type of deal, but I just dont see that happening now.
    Regarding Fiala, I havent been too happy with his game this year. Hasnt helped that Parise hadnt been playing well and really we dont have any decent centers, but he carried the team so much last year and hasnt been as impactful so far.

I think GMBG goes big and offers $8 x 8, the kid has electrified this franchise and I just don’t see him lowering his play after he gets a longterm deal done, he’s a rinkrat who just loves to play the game and always will be…
    Fiala needs talented linemates to shine, he’s 2nd fiddle now to Kaprizov and i’m sure that bothers him. The good thing about this is that his contract demands shoudn’t be too crazy as he doesn’t have the stats to back him up, I now see the Wild offering him a 3-4 year deal in the $5-6 per range…That gets him due for another contract around the time Suter and Parise are likely off the books and we’ll have a much better idea of this teams direction (are we a true cup contender or not)

CaptainMusky

Fiala needs talented linemates to shine, he’s 2nd fiddle now to Kaprizov and i’m sure that bothers him. The good thing about this is that his contract demands shoudn’t be too crazy as he doesn’t have the stats to back him up, I now see the Wild offering him a 3-4 year deal in the $5-6 per range…That gets him due for another contract around the time Suter and Parise are likely off the books and we’ll have a much better idea of this teams direction (are we a true cup contender or not)

That was the line of thinking I had for him too regarding term and amt. I guess he does have 9 goals and 14 points so he certainly isnt stinking it up, but playing so long with Parise who hasnt produced much really holds him back. I know it wouldnt work because there wouldnt be anyone to take a faceoff, but imagine Zuccarello, Kaprizov and him together?

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

That was the line of thinking I had for him too regarding term and amt. I guess he does have 9 goals and 14 points so he certainly isnt stinking it up, but playing so long with Parise who hasnt produced much really holds him back. I know it wouldnt work because there wouldnt be anyone to take a faceoff, but imagine Zuccarello, Kaprizov and him together?

I’m a bit surprised they haven’t tried that combo to try and get Fiala going at least? I get the whole spread the wealth idea and not allowing shutdown defense, but why not try it…

CaptainMusky

I’m a bit surprised they haven’t tried that combo to try and get Fiala going at least? I get the whole spread the wealth idea and not allowing shutdown defense, but why not try it…

Maybe with MoJo back that will help him. He seemed to be skating OK. I never really followed him much just read what people have said about him so if he can do what he’s done before that would help Fiala. I havent seen the lines for tonight since they didnt practice, but I would think they would be together again, maybe not. I also think Hartman can help him too. He’s gritty and fairly skilled with the puck. Can get up the ice nearly as well as Fiala.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Johansson has been a huge disappointment to me compared to the player I’ve watched alot of in the past… He seems to have zero desire to put out extra effort when on the ice…it feels like he’s riding his contract out and I wouldn’t be surprised if he calls it an NHL career after this season and goes home to play shinny in the swedish elite league…

It will be interesting to see if Kaprizov comes alive in todays game. He’s been a little lazy the past 3 games and hasn’t had the same energy we’ve become used to seeing, hopefully just a mid-season rut for him, but something to keep an eye on…

CaptainMusky

It will be interesting to see if Kaprizov comes alive in todays game. He’s been a little lazy the past 3 games and hasn’t had the same energy we’ve become used to seeing, hopefully just a mid-season rut for him, but something to keep an eye on…

Yeah, he has been cheating a bit lately for sure. I remember getting excited when he had the puck only to be disappointed by multiple turn overs. He has to clean that up.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    I think that isn’t giving him much credit. He’s been working his ass off and that shift where he scored was all him. He’s not a superstar and we can’t count on him to score 20 goals but he’s been playing very well IMO. I watch his shifts with a lot of scrutiny because I’ve expected a lot from his as a skilled gopher. So far in his career he hasn’t panned out moreso due to injury. We owe him nothing and he’s playing down the lineup he’s contributing.

Jury is still out on Bugstad IMO. Early on, I thought he was hopeless, but now I’m wondering if he is starting to get and listen to some coaching on how to use his size in the NHL.

Greenway was the same way last year, he almost never used his size. Then something seems to have changed over the summer and you can tell he GETS it now. He doesn’t always use it, but more and more he’s turning his back, forward at the hips, and using his reach to protect the puck and make the defender reposition or take a holding call.

Like Greenway, I hope Bugstad continues to develop and maybe now that he’s standing on the career edge, he’s motivated. What they need is like a Dustin Byfuglien on the coaching squad to be able to really put these guys through their paces in practice. Hard to simulate a game situation I’m sure when it comes to players of this size and strength.

The problem with big players is a lot of times they come up and just their size alone was such a huge advantage in HS/Jrs enough they never learn to really use it in the way they need to once every player on the ice is a pro-level player with strength and skating skill to match.

Well the jury better hurry up as he is 28 year old fourth liner. He is in his 9th season. Greenway and a Bjugstad are at very different points in there careers.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Why is the game at 4:30 today? Is this a make up game?

CaptainMusky

Why is the game at 4:30 today? Is this a make up game?

Not sure why the time is so early, but this was a regularly scheduled game. The game with the Blues tomorrow is a make up game however. Maybe it has to do with that? Got forced into a back-to-back so made one game earlier? Not sure.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not ready to give up on Fiala and say I’m ok with trading him, but he has been really disappointing for me this year. Last year he looked like he was on the verge of taking over the league, skating through everyone, no one could get the puck off his stick and sniping corners just about every game. Fast forward to this year, he’s coughing up every other puck he gets, missing the net on many of the shots he does take, and doesn’t have that same play that took over games last year. I know he’s not playing with great players but it’s not like he was last season either in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if Kaprizov blowing up has stolen some of his confidence and aggressiveness.

CaptainMusky

I wonder if Kaprizov blowing up has stolen some of his confidence and aggressiveness.

There might be something to this. Some athletes up their game when someone else comes to town that is skilled. Others it seems to put so much pressure on them and they try to one-up them or claim the team back. Not sure its the case here, but it somewhat seems like it. He was playing Parise much of the year and he has been ghost except for a little better hustle the last few games.

Ripjiggen

I am still of the belief they are not getting a 10million dollar 1C so Fiala will be signed still. Maybe he gets moved later down the line for financial reasons. In the near term I think they sign him on a bridge deal type.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Parise out with Covid tonight. Wonder if it was an inside job….. mrgreen

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild on nbcsports and fsn + FYI

whats funny is todays game ONLY has the local FSN TV rights, NBCSN cut off exactly at 4:30 when they were googling over Kaprizov…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Quite a goal by Sturm! Lol

CaptainMusky

That was a goal scorers goal! Lol
    Man, can Soucy play any worse? He’s horrible tonight.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

That was a goal scorers goal! Lol
    Man, can Soucy play any worse? He’s horrible tonight.

lots of guys making terrible mistakes all over the ice, Blues will eat us alive tomorrow if this is how we’ll play…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ek has lost 12 of 15 faceoffs sofar tonight… thats just brutal

JoeMX1825
    MN

Feels like we stole 4 points against the Ducks…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After the first few minutes I was thinking they were back to normal, then it looked like we were playing in mud the rest of the game.

CaptainMusky

Definitely not our best effort. Not looking forward to tomorrow night. Woof.

JoeMX1825
    MN

They need to take Rask off the Kaprizov/Zuc line….They are generating NOTHING the last 4 games and Rask can’t even keep himself upright most of his shifts… I think you’ll see Johansson get a shot tomorrow night…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well the jury better hurry up as he is 28 year old fourth liner. He is in his 9th season. Greenway and a Bjugstad are at very different points in there careers.

The Nick/Nick/Nico line is the only line that’s playing worth a bleeping thing right now as far as intensity. I’m not saying Bjug is a #1 center in waiting, but his game seems to be improving and we can’t exactly say that about a lot of the rest of the team.

Another crafty play by Bjugstad last night to throw the one-hopper on goal to see how good of a shortstop Miller is. Turns out, Miller is a really bad shortstop and Sturm takes out the trash. Bjugstad almost got rewarded for that very play a few games back, why more guys don’t throw up a little infield practice for the goalie rather than just dump it to the corner, I’ll never know.

As far as Fiala, I’m waiting for the Pierre Marc Fiala jokes to start. MN fans seem to be losing their edge.

Faceoffs. Ug.

The ONLY bright spot IMO was that the freaking league has FINALLY quite obviously told the officials to start calling the instigator penalty.

Finally, finally, finally. How many times have the Wild gotten screwed on a deal like last night where Getzlaf hunts down Soucy after a clean hit and INSTIGATES a fight. As everybody knows, the “normal” screwjob call on that for 20 years was to send them both off for 5.

I fell out of my chair when the officials actually called it right and for the second time this season for the Wild. Getzlaf gets 2/5/10. Exactly correct. Yes, yes, NHL officials everywhere. The key is in the name of the penalty–instigator. It exists for a reason. Nice to see the league finally reading their own rule book and deciding to actually instruct officials to stop ignoring BS like that. Could there be hope for the end of goal front crosschecking being a non-penalty?

AnotherFisherman

Do we miss Marcus Foligno? Sure seems like it. Love his energy!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Do we miss Marcus Foligno? Sure seems like it. Love his energy!

Yes, we deeply miss Foligno and Dumba. They both bring an energy that we do not have without them.

JoeMX1825
    MN

lack of energy has absolutely been noticeable the past 4 games, seems like the players are in a lazy fog…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

The Nick/Nick/Nico line is the only line that’s playing worth a bleeping thing right now as far as intensity. I’m not saying Bjug is a #1 center in waiting, but his game seems to be improving and we can’t exactly say that about a lot of the rest of the team.

Another crafty play by Bjugstad last night to throw the one-hopper on goal to see how good of a shortstop Miller is. Turns out, Miller is a really bad shortstop and Sturm takes out the trash. Bjugstad almost got rewarded for that very play a few games back, why more guys don’t throw up a little infield practice for the goalie rather than just dump it to the corner, I’ll never know.

As far as Fiala, I’m waiting for the Pierre Marc Fiala jokes to start. MN fans seem to be losing their edge.

Faceoffs. Ug.

The ONLY bright spot IMO was that the freaking league has FINALLY quite obviously told the officials to start calling the instigator penalty.

Finally, finally, finally. How many times have the Wild gotten screwed on a deal like last night where Getzlaf hunts down Soucy after a clean hit and INSTIGATES a fight. As everybody knows, the “normal” screwjob call on that for 20 years was to send them both off for 5.

I fell out of my chair when the officials actually called it right and for the second time this season for the Wild. Getzlaf gets 2/5/10. Exactly correct. Yes, yes, NHL officials everywhere. The key is in the name of the penalty–instigator. It exists for a reason. Nice to see the league finally reading their own rule book and deciding to actually instruct officials to stop ignoring BS like that. Could there be hope for the end of goal front crosschecking being a non-penalty?

Because most goalies will grab it pass it up to a forward or d before you even have a chance to make a line change. That play looked like a squirt game. Took about 0 NHL skill.

Ripjiggen

Dumba in the line up tonight.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,471 through 1,500 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.