2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

And for God’s sake brink back hockey falls.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Hockey Falls – Street Hockey” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/YGN5Gl0vQIc?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Amen!!!

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Kaprizov just setup Ek with another point blank scoring opportunity and stone hands shoots it right into the middle of the goalies pads…thats like 4-5 premium scoring area chances like that the past few games that Ek just flubbed…

Stone Hands didn’t “flub” last night. Oh, and old Stone Hands STILL leads the team in goals scored. coffee

Lets get serious here, high school players would have scored those goals (defense for some reason passes him the puck in the slot with the goalie not expecting it, and hacking at a puck sitting under the goalies pads)

Those just scream offensive talent dont they? Are you ready to give him the Richard trophy now?

The 2nd goal is a perfect example of his skill set, powering through players getting to the crease for dirty goals.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Lets get serious here, high school players would have scored those goals (defense for some reason passes him the puck in the slot with the goalie not expecting it, and hacking at a puck sitting under the goalies pads)

Those just scream offensive talent dont they? Are you ready to give him the Richard trophy now?

The 2nd goal is a perfect example of his skill set, powering through players getting to the crease for dirty goals.

I agree with you on his skill set. But that’s kind of his role. To get in there and get the dirty goals. Yes, he’s missed his fair share of goals that should have been. But, getting all of those opportunities must mean he is in a position to get those opportunities. IMHO, the way you portray him, if he capitalized on all his “shoulda been” goals, he’d be leading the league by a large margin. Instead, he’s “only” leading his team in the goal count.. I believe his ceiling is still quite a ways away. He’s improved 10 fold in the last 2 seasons. It’s great to see!

I totally agree with a lot of your other opinions of the team/players and the way they play. I don’t have a horse in the race. I guess I’m just curious why you have a vendetta against him? I like him & his playing style. I haven’t watched every game, but I haven’t seen Erickson Ek miss the net like Tuch did last night..

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve always been on the record as being a fan of Ek, I just argue that he’s never going to be a 1st or 2nd line center in the NHL like some think/hope because he lacks offensive creativity and soft hands needed to make short and quick in traffic touch passes to his wingers, absolute skillsets needed from a top 2 line center. He’s a chip and charge, hack and chop at the puck in the crease type of player.

I’ve said he’s the prototype NHL 3rd line center, one of, if not the best in the entire league right now, but that’s his ceiling.

CaptainMusky

I’ve said he’s the prototype NHL 3rd line center, one of if not the best in the entire league right now, but that’s his ceiling.

How many 3rd line centers are on a full season pace for 30 goals? Asking for a friend. -)

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

That makes sense & I agree with that. Definitely won’t be a #1 center. But, with how deep the Wild are, I don’t think we need a “true” #1 Center. Only time will tell & I like where they are headed!

Two really nice, complete games, against one of the leagues best. I’d love to see KK34 stay in the net for as long as he can handle it!

CaptainMusky

I’ve said he’s the prototype NHL 3rd line center, one of if not the best in the entire league right now, but that’s his ceiling.

How many 3rd line centers are on a full season pace for 30 goals? Asking for a friend. -)

And Joe, you know I am just messing with you. Ek will never be a Crosby level player, but his game has grown tremendously this year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

And Joe, you know I am just messing with you. Ek will never be a Crosby level player, but his game has grown tremendously this year.

I know, I know ) it’s fun to be finally discussing good things about the Wild isn’t it…

Ek has had an exceptional start to this season, but you have to agree a vast majority of his goals have been dirty & gritty circumstances (his bread and butter), I don’t think its fair to say most of his goals have been lucky, because he’s been putting himself in those dirty areas to get the goals, but he’s been in the right spot at the right time for alot of his chop at the puck in the crease goals. I don’t think anybody believes Tyler Toffoli is going to remain in the top 3 goal leaders in the league (he’s only 1 goal from being tied with McJesus for 2nd) but he’s had a hot start and the puck has been finding him on the ice.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That was a fun game to watch! I don’t get many opportunities without FSN. Power Play still looks like my time on the HS Jayvee squad tho.

Ripjiggen

Watching the game last night I could not help but think about xpack draft and how the wild will lose a good player. I get it every team has to lose somebody. I also kept thinking about those first round picks this year and how our pick is getting deeper and deeper the more times they win. Everyone talking about the draft not being as deep and kind of a crap shoot as far as evaluating talent after this covid season.

Greeway-Would be a bummer to lose. Is he replaceable sure but his overall size is pretty unique and hard to replace.

Folingo- tough has some skill and no doubt one of the leaders of the team. Has a hard right hand as well.

Dumba-Probably the most replaceable with Addison but still a bummer to lose a guy like that for nothing.

Talbot- replaceable now. They need to draft a couple goalies. Can you package something that would have them take them as one of their goalies. His salary is attractive. I am not talking a prospect but a pick that is virtually an unknown commodity.
    Just a thought.

Great explanation after the first period on KK contract and him being a 10.2C player. They basically said he doesn’t really have much negation power and the wild will sign him to a 2 year deal and he will hit FA at 27 or a long term 7 year type. Basically said he has to take what is given to him unless he wants to go back to Russia. Talked about how it would not be wise for the wild to low ball to much and urine off there star player. Basically saying the wild can offer what ever they want and he has to kind of accept it.

Oh how I wish Rossi was able to make this club this year would have been fun to watch him evolve with some of these guys as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Guys. Guys! I had the weirdest dream last night. This is totally out there.

So at the start of it all–and this is really wacky–Ek scores a goal. No, really, but wait it gets weirder than that. This stat flashes in the middle of the dream and Ek is leading the team in goals scored. Yeah.

But that’s not the weirdest thing. Then the Wild score–I can’t freaking believe this one–a powerplay goal. Like on an actual power play and before it expired! I know. Crazy.

The end of the dream was kind of normal. There were these turkeys dressed in black and white striped outfits and they had this big lump in their throats like they had swallowed something that closely resembled a whistle. And no matter how blatant the holding was on Foligno, no peanalty could be called. It was like these turkeys were deaf, dumb, and blind starting in the 3rd period, but yet it felt kind of normal like that kind of thing had happened before.

Pretty wacky dream, eh?

Say, how did the Wild do last night anyways?

Grouse

CaptainMusky

I know, I know ) it’s fun to be finally discussing good things about the Wild isn’t it…

Ek has had an exceptional start to this season, but you have to agree a vast majority of his goals have been dirty & gritty circumstances (his bread and butter), I don’t think its fair to say most of his goals have been lucky, because he’s been putting himself in those dirty areas to get the goals, but he’s been in the right spot at the right time for alot of his chop at the puck in the crease goals. I don’t think anybody believes Tyler Toffoli is going to remain in the top 3 goal leaders in the league (he’s only 1 goal from being tied with McJesus for 2nd) but he’s had a hot start and the puck has been finding him on the ice.

I recall maybe 1 of his goals was what I would consider an elite type shot, but yes, the rest have been “effort” or greasy goals for sure. Take them however we can get them no doubt. If he trained as hard for his shot as he does for conditioning I am sure he could improve that, but that takes a LOT more time and really not something that is going to happen for him I dont think.
    It’s actually kinda fun to think the Wild could have at least 1 if not multiple NHL Award winners and not like the “Participation Award” type that they have had in the past, but Selke, Calder and as preposterous as it may sound even Hart? If Kahkonnen keeps it up he could beat out KK97 for Calder, then where does that leave KK97? Hart? Never in a million years thought this team would have so many promising players.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didn’t notice a non holding call on Foligno, but taking both Saucy and the Vegas player when Saucy did absolutely nothing wrong but not let a guy check check him in the chest was the joke call of the night and changed the complexion of the last 6 minutes of that game…This allowed Vegas to essentially have a free power play by pulling their goalie…

CaptainMusky

Great explanation after the first period on KK contract and him being a 10.2C player. They basically said he doesn’t really have much negation power and the wild will sign him to a 2 year deal and he will hit FA at 27 or a long term 7 year type. Basically said he has to take what is given to him unless he wants to go back to Russia. Talked about how it would not be wise for the wild to low ball to much and urine off there star player. Basically saying the wild can offer what ever they want and he has to kind of accept it.

The “BobFather” is the absolute best! That was VERY interesting to hear that. I knew he was a 10.2C player, but I had no idea of the rest. Interesting, but no way the Wild want to risk KK going back to Russia. No chance. The Fans would burn the X to the ground and I am only slightly being facetious.

Ripjiggen

I recall maybe 1 of his goals was what I would consider an elite type shot, but yes, the rest have been “effort” or greasy goals for sure. Take them however we can get them no doubt. If he trained as hard for his shot as he does for conditioning I am sure he could improve that, but that takes a LOT more time and really not something that is going to happen for him I dont think.
    It’s actually kinda fun to think the Wild could have at least 1 if not multiple NHL Award winners and not like the “Participation Award” type that they have had in the past, but Selke, Calder and as preposterous as it may sound even Hart? If Kahkonnen keeps it up he could beat out KK97 for Calder, then where does that leave KK97? Hart? Never in a million years thought this team would have so many promising players.

And just think it was all the other terrible GM’s we had that are responsible for these guys.
    Sorry Grouse I just had to toss that in so you can have more wild dreams at night rotflol

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

The “BobFather” is the absolute best! That was VERY interesting to hear that. I knew he was a 10.2C player, but I had no idea of the rest. Interesting, but no way the Wild want to risk KK going back to Russia. No chance. The Fans would burn the X to the ground and I am only slightly being facetious.

I honestly don’t think that is a real option for him to go back but I guess he could.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Russo updated that Marco Rossi is having his medical checkups done in Austria soon, if he gets the green light, then maybe he flies back to MN and begins working out with the team?

The other thing we’re not talking about is the likelyhood that Matt Boldy signs with the Wild once his NCAA season is done with (BC is really good so the odds say they will likely go deep into the NCAA playoffs)…that will be a nice injection of talent for the end of season push towards the playoffs…

CaptainMusky

And just think it was all the other terrible GM’s we had that are responsible for these guys.
    Sorry Grouse I just had to toss that in so you can have more wild dreams at night rotflol

Fenton is starting to look a LOT less bad and even Fletcher. But there were still some Titanic-esque failures in there that sunk the ship. Those happen to the best GMs, but some of these guys are coming along. I think Greenway’s turn around may have more to do with BG than anything. The other GMs didnt seem to hold him accountable. Being a former NHL pulls some serious respect factor for these guys too I think.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I honestly don’t think that is a real option for him to go back but I guess he could.

it will be a threat his agent uses for sure as it;s his olny negotiating lever to pull, but when you watch him play you can see the joy in his face and I don’t think he would personally want to go backwards in his career, the KHL would feel like playing JV to him, he would be embarrassed…

I think the Wild uses an overwhelmingly HUGE offer (for a player of his limited NHL experience) and it takes all other possibilities off the table and he and his agent sprint to sign the contract that locks him in a Wild jersey for a long time… He’s the pillar that we build around, Fiala is 2nd tier…

I would definitely buy stock in a Jersey company, because when the fans are allowed back in the X all you will see is #97 jerseys everywhere, this market has been starved for a superstar and this kid is the golden ticket…the excitement he brings is infectious, my 4 year old son runs up and down the hallways of our house every Wild game when Kaprizov is even mentioned, he started screaming while in “tubby time” last night when he heard Kapper scored! as soon as Kapper gets more comfortable in front of english speaking media/fans, his stardom will soar even more…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sorry Grouse I just had to toss that in so you can have more wild dreams at night

Even the blind squirrel gets a nut, my friend. Even the blind squirrel.

Filip Johansson. I’ll just leave that here. We don’t even have to talk about the number of R1 picks that never even played for the big club.

I didn’t notice a non holding call on Foligno, but taking both Saucy and the Vegas player when Saucy did absolutely nothing wrong but not let a guy check check him in the chest was the joke call of the night and changed the complexion of the last 6 minutes of that game…This allowed Vegas to essentially have a free power play by pulling their goalie…

Foligno got held against the boards for a 5 count while trying to get to a deep puck and then the Vegas player did the classic look at the ref and put his hands in the air in the “I didn’t do it” position that, of course, ALWAYS means the player did it. No call.

Yes, agree Soucy call was totally lame as well. Clean hit, then he takes 3 cross checks, then the lameasss ref takes them both out.

CaptainMusky

I would definitely buy stock in a Jersey company, because when the fans are allowed back in the X all you will see is #97 jerseys everywhere, this market has been starved for a superstar and this kid is the golden ticket…the excitement he brings is infectious, my 4 year old son runs up and down the hallways of our house every Wild game when Kaprizov is even mentioned, he started screaming while in “tubby time” last night when he heard Kapper scored! as soon as Kapper gets more comfortable in front of english speaking media/fans, his stardom will soar even more…

You aren’t kidding! The best part is mainly because of him, the National NHL media is actually paying attention to the Wild for once. They have been going on and on about him and now Kahkonnen is getting some love too. They brought up Ek as a Selke contender. He probably won’t win it because as it always is, its a personality contest and our market is still fly over country, but he’s certainly deserving.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sorry Grouse I just had to toss that in so you can have more wild dreams at night

Filip Johansson. I’ll just leave that here. We don’t even have to talk about the number of R1 picks that never even played for the big club.

Foligno got held against the boards for a 5 count while trying to get to a deep puck and then the Vegas player did the classic look at the ref and put his hands in the air in the “I didn’t do it” position that, of course, ALWAYS means the player did it. No call.

Yes, agree Soucy call was totally lame as well. Clean hit, then he takes 3 cross checks, then the lameasss ref takes them both out.

I’ve been one of the biggest haters of the Johansson pick (other than most of the top10, that draft was terrible though, we really didn’t miss out on anybody) BUT he’s had a much better season sofar this year, like night & day difference better, perhaps he’s one of those guys that just takes an extra few years and then explodes into his projected talent? I’m pretty sure we have limited time left to offer him a contract, so I think we’ll get an answer either way pretty soon on his future with the Wild…

CaptainMusky

I’ve been one of the biggest haters of Johansson, BUT he’s had a much better season sofar this year, like night & day difference better, perhaps he’s one of those guys that just takes an extra few years and then explodes into his projected talent? I’m pretty sure we have limited time left to offer him a contract, so I think we’ll get an answer either way pretty soon on his future with the Wild…

I think its after next season that he needs to be signed or the Wild get a compensatory pick. At this point I bet they do sign him. Never imagined that before this year though.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Russo updated that Marco Rossi is having his medical checkups done in Austria soon, if he gets the green light, then maybe he flies back to MN and begins working out with the team?

The other thing we’re not talking about is the likelyhood that Matt Boldy signs with the Wild once his NCAA season is done with (BC is really good so the odds say they will likely go deep into the NCAA playoffs)…that will be a nice injection of talent for the end of season push towards the playoffs…

It has to be a huge adjustment to go from playing guys in College and then in a couple of weeks to be playing with the big boys.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It has to be a huge adjustment to go from playing guys in College and then in a couple of weeks to be playing with the big boys.

Yes and no, the WJC is a good gauge of this (majority of the top teams are 1st & 2nd round picks) it depends on the player size and maturity level, and Boldy dominated, he’s ready for it…

Ripjiggen

I was just ribbing ya bit. Honestly though I would like to know who they should have picked instead. Not a single player drafted after him in the first or second round is making any impact in the NHL at this point.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think K-Andre Miller who went 2 picks before the Wild is the best of those picked after the top players….

JoeMX1825
    MN

just saw a tweet, Filip Johansson has a total of 6 goals and 5 assists in 42 games played this season in the Swedish Elite League…To give some perspective, typically the league leaders in scoring have around 50 points sofar this season…

Viewing 30 posts - 1,291 through 1,320 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.