2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• tswoboda

it will be very telling to see how Parise and Evason/BG come out of this…

IF Parise is a team guy, he’ll take his medicine and come back the next game with a chip on his shoulder and want to earn his teammates and coaches trust back.

IF Parise is a me-first guy, this could be the beginning of the end and perhaps he then lifts his NTC and BG starts looking for a trade partner…

we shall see….I suspect the decision was mutual between Evason and BG

Very true, lets hope it’s the former rather than the latter. Parise leaving town unhappy is a scary situation with the cap recapture penalty.

They really had no choice in retrospect. I mean, you cannot let ANYONE get by with that and had they it would really drive a wedge in the lockerroom when we all know someone like Hartman or really anyone else does that they are in the street clothes the next game.

I don’t buy that, it’s not like everyone is healthy and the Wild are rotating scratches. They had to go out of their way to call up a taxi squad player in order to make this happen. Just makes the message they are sending that much stronger. I think it has more to do with his play overall this season and that 6 on 5 play was just the nail in the coffin. I mean if Foligno or Hartman make that same play, they’re not getting scratched the next game.

tswoboda

Max salary retention is 50%, but i’m not sure if/how things change if the base salary still owed is much less like Parise’s front loaded salary was…caphit still stays the same..

Actual money retained % matches the cap hit retained %

So for the last 3 seasons if they retain 50% cap hit, they retain $1m, $0.5m, $0.5m actual salary.

The way this season has gone, the Wild are a better team without Parise.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kaprizov has had more than his fair share of marathon shifts this short season already, are they willing to bench him? I’m honestly surprised they haven’t yet on some of the stuff he’s done (albeit he’s successful doing it most of the time)

Something like the Parise move sends a message to everyone (Kaprizov) without actually saying anything to them..

CaptainMusky

Evason has commented it was 100% because of his last shift. Russo has a ton of quotes about it. Parise quotes are also VERY concerning. Seems like he doesnt think he didnt anything wrong and this message doesnt appear to be received too well by him.
    I mean, read this?!

Ripjiggen

His response was he was trying to get Folingo a hat trick. Not sure that was the best answer.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Uhoh, just heard on kfan that Parise was quoted as saying he didnt agree with the benching, said he was trying to get Foligno the hat trick…

I call BS…

How do you not just play good cop and say you deserve it and need to play better?!? I think that sounds a bit like the “me me Parise”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

From the quotes that have come out on this so far, it doesn’t sound like Parise is too thrilled. Not that he should be, but the general feeling I get from him seems to be he didn’t deserve a benching.

Could it motivate him? Sure. Will it? I’m not so sure and hope it doesn’t make him a cancer.

JoeMX1825
    MN

“The players have my back and that’s all that matters”

Is that an underbreath threat to the coach/GM? I can tell you the players know he’s been struggling and not carrying his weight sofar this season, if they had mics on the bench for the last 2 minutes of the game you would have for sure heard players saying “Get the F off the ice Zack!” so deep down they know this was deserved!

Ripjiggen

Yeah this will be interesting going forward. His quotes were not great or what you would want to hear from a veteran that is owning up to a mistake and plans on moving forward.

CaptainMusky

He had good intentions based on his quotes, the initial one I saw was worded a bit poorly, but Russo followed it up with more clarity. At that stage of the game and what each point means with this truncated season you just cannot have a player going rogue like that regardless of who it is and what good deed he is trying to accomplish.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m curious if Dean and Billy asked Spurgeon for his take on this before a decision was made? It will never come out if he did or didn’t, but you know they sat down with him and talked about it…

tswoboda

His response was he was trying to get Folingo a hat trick. Not sure that was the best answer.

Well it’s better than admitting he was trying to get himself a goal. But yeah, he never acknowledged that he made a mistake and should have gotten off the ice.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Parise a healthy scratch? Way, way, overdue.

Great sign, imo, the team is heading in the right direction finally.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Well it’s better than admitting he was trying to get himself a goal. But yeah, he never acknowledged that he made a mistake and should have gotten off the ice.

Better than that yes but in a one goal game the only thought should be winning. I can’t imagine his comments are sitting well with the coach or GM. Obviously we were not there for there little locker room chats. We will see how he responds the next game or if management has to respond.
    These 9 o’clock games suck.

CaptainMusky

Regarding Cap Recapture, I’m not as worried about that anymore as that was radically revised as part of the return to play last year. Sure it would cost the wild but nowhere near to the level it would have prior where they couldn’t even field a roster with like a 20M cap hit depending on when it happened.

Ripjiggen

Glad they are not wearing the gold helmets again. They look terrible in hockey. cool

JoeMX1825
    MN

Glad they are not wearing the gold helmets again. They look terrible in hockey. cool

100% agreed, surprised they were approved for TV, totally distracting

Ripjiggen

Folingo wearing the “A” tonight.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ek lucky his face wasn’t cut in half! Yikes!

Ripjiggen

Way too many odd man rushes given up by the wild. Seemed like about 50. Wild had plenty of chances to score. Fleury was good. They were really trying to go high glove on Talbot all night. Had success doing it several times. Need to regroup in Arizona.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Every upper end player no matter the sport has a ego. If they didn’t they wouldn’t succeed. In Parise’s mind he was the best chance to get the puck to Folingo for the hat trick. It is also something a “team” player would do. It didn’t work out. At that point I believe they “as a team” had blown a 3-0 lead?

Maybe he had the benching coming but I’m not going to torch the guy over that play, although he was wrong.

JoeMX1825
    MN

bottom line, they proved to every team in the NHL (including themselves) that they can hang with Vegas and were 1 bad shift away from splitting the series…Fleury stood on his head last night and that was the difference…

I’ve never seen an entire team gain so much speed in the neutral zone and basically enter our zone with speed every rush immediately putting our D on their heels. Its a great game plan and something the Wild is terrible at…

I think you’re going to see a whoopin put on the Coyotes by letting their frustrations out over the Vegas series…

I was encouraged by what I saw these last 2 games…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Ek lucky his face wasn’t cut in half! Yikes!

That was a bit scary watching the replay. Good thing he had a visor. No visor & that would have been ugly..

I like the direction of this team. I’m hoping Parise comes back angry, but motivated. We shall see.

Oh yeah, anyone mention that 9 O’clock games really suck!!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Fiala is really forcing things right now it seems. Turnover machine right now because of it.

Couldn’t believe they let Petrangelo get away with that absolute MAULING of Fiala along the boards. That was brutal.

tswoboda

bottom line, they proved to every team in the NHL (including themselves) that they can hang with Vegas and were 1 bad shift away from splitting the series…Fleury stood on his head last night and that was the difference…

Fleury was definitely the difference last night, but he’s been excellent most of the season. That’s why it hurt to lose the first game when he wasn’t so great.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Fleury was definitely the difference last night, but he’s been excellent most of the season. That’s why it hurt to lose the first game when he wasn’t so great.

That’s what irritates me even more about what Parise did and the fact he felt he didnt do anything wrong. That game was ours to win. It would have been a split series instead we gave them 4 pts. Those gifted points and the Wild lost point is going to loom large.
    Take nothing away from Vegas they are exactly who we thought they were. The Wild didnt play horribly, but vegas just capitalized on a few mistakes and Fleury was outstanding.
    Kaprisov certainly had the shoot first mindset last night and had it been a different goalie or the Fleury from Monday night he would have had 2 or 3 goals.

Fishing59

Parise has been a cancer on this team for years. He’s a guy that just stands in front of the net and his line mates do all the work in the corners so he can pick up the garbage goals. Plus he went behind a former coach and work on powerplays because he didn’t like the way the coach was doing it! I think it’s time for him to go and keep getting guys that want to play both ends of the ice like the young guys on this team.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Parise has been a cancer on this team for years. He’s a guy that just stands in front of the net and his line mates do all the work in the corners so he can pick up the garbage goals.

Whoa whoa, that is extreme. How do you know he’s a cancer amongst the rest of the team? Do you know someone on the team or are you in the locker room? I tend to hear this quite often but its really only speculation.

Parise is obviously way past his prime and might be over paid now but he still led the team in goals last year, and most years before that. He’s not a flashy player by any means either. He scores a lot of goals right by the net because that’s what he’s good at. Not every player has the skill set, will power, or strength to stand in front of the net and take cross checks from defenders to the kidneys every game you know.

That being said, he deserved to be a scratch last game, even if he didn’t like the decision. Tough. Coaches make the decisions, not the players. That’s why they are held accountable and can get fired too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think it’s time for him to go and keep getting guys that want to play both ends of the ice like the young guys on this team.

If they could trade him, they would…he has a full NTC and a caphit and term left on his contract that makes him an anchor to a franchise….There’s only 2 ways he could be traded, we either retain 50% of his salary ($3.75 million for the next 4 years) and get basically nothing in return or we retain some of his salary (say 20%) and take on an equally bad contract in return like Andrew Ladd which was a reported trade rumor last year…

Either way it’s not good, but if he starts to become a problem (hopefully not) you do what you can to cut the problem away asap, no matter what…

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fishing59 wrote:</div>
    Parise has been a cancer on this team for years. He’s a guy that just stands in front of the net and his line mates do all the work in the corners so he can pick up the garbage goals.

Whoa whoa, that is extreme. How do you know he’s a cancer amongst the rest of the team? Do you know someone on the team or are you in the locker room? I tend to hear this quite often but its really only speculation.

I agree, we hear this all the time, but there has never been any evidence to the contrary. Yeah, the whole Adam Oates thing probably wasn’t a good idea, but I honestly don’t think it was done with any malice in mind. I mean, honestly, there is no way they didnt think the coach and mgmt wouldnt find out. They just did it thinking it was something to create a spark. Nothing more, nothing less.
    We’ve heard the same things about being cancers and schisms with both Suter and Parise. Honestly watching some of the interviews with Suter this year I have a completely different picture of him. He actually seems to have a personality and a sense of humor. This hasnt come out before. He was one of the first to invite Kaprisov over to his house and Kirill was on the ice playing with his kids.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,141 through 1,170 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.