2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I tend to agree with you on not not buying. Although I am not sure they are selling Bonino and Cole if they are a top 8 team closer to the deadline.

They can for sure get a good asset for Cole, defenseman will be a premium this deadline and Cole is playing extremely well right now. There’s no way we resign him for the $4+ he’ll get on the market when we already have so much $ tied up in defense and Addison is likely ready for fulltime duty next season…

Bonino is still very valuable on this team for his faceoff skills and his overall good center play, this is also what makes him one of those highly valued plug-in guys that Cup contenders love to have for their cup run. If BillyG gets a good enough offer I think he takes it and then maybe Sturm goes back to 4th line center and we just live with having lower % faceoff guys…

CaptainMusky

Anyone know what the date is that the Wild have to sign Mennell or they lose him? Its coming up, I was thinking sometime this month. He’s having a solid season. I think if the Wild move Dumba they definitely have a spot for him. By tendering him an offer in the offseason it means the Wild retain his rights for the year, but I cannot find what that timeframe is. Maybe its May 8th since that is supposed to be the end of the regular season, but I seem to remember Russo talking it was earlier than that.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Anyone know what the date is that the Wild have to sign Mennell or they lose him? Its coming up, I was thinking sometime this month. He’s having a solid season. I think if the Wild move Dumba they definitely have a spot for him. By tendering him an offer in the offseason it means the Wild retain his rights for the year, but I cannot find what that timeframe is. Maybe its May 8th since that is supposed to be the end of the regular season, but I seem to remember Russo talking it was earlier than that.

Were you thinking of the Feb 11th deadline to sign him out of the KHL for use this NHL season? That has obviously passed, but we still own his rights for next season I believe but he’ll have to get in 80 NHL games by his 25th Birthday or he becomes the same type of UFA that Soucy was, which means he’ll get a huge pay raise that might not be warranted. The Wild can’t afford that for a 3rd pair D, so he’ll likely get traded this offseason or next season…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    I tend to agree with you on not not buying. Although I am not sure they are selling Bonino and Cole if they are a top 8 team closer to the deadline.

They can for sure get a good asset for Cole, defenseman will be a premium this deadline and Cole is playing extremely well right now. There’s no way we resign him for the $4+ he’ll get on the market when we already have so much $ tied up in defense and Addison is likely ready for fulltime duty next season…

Bonino is still very valuable on this team for his faceoff skills and his overall good center play, this is also what makes him one of those highly valued plug-in guys that Cup contenders love to have for their cup run. If BillyG gets a good enough offer I think he takes it and then maybe Sturm goes back to 4th line center and we just live with having lower % faceoff guys…

I wasn’t saying they don’t have trade a value. I was more saying if they are a top 8 team come the deadline are they still selling or does Billy see what these guys can do in the playoffs.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Were you thinking of the Feb 11th deadline to sign him out of the KHL for use this NHL season? That has obviously passed, but we still own his rights for next season I believe but he’ll have to get in 80 NHL games by his 25th Birthday or he becomes the same type of UFA that Soucy was, which means he’ll get a huge pay raise that might not be warranted. The Wild can’t afford that for a 3rd pair D, so he’ll likely get traded this offseason or next season…

Ah yes, that was it Feb 11th. OK, so regardless he cannot play with the Wild this year then. We will see what happens. He is a hometown kid too which would be cool to see him play here, but I too fear it isnt going to happen unless Dumba and likely Soucy or someone else is moved. Hunt isnt coming back I would be almost certain of that.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I wasn’t saying they don’t have trade a value. I was more saying if they are a top 8 team come the deadline are they still selling or does Billy see what these guys can do in the playoffs.

i’m saying because of their roles on the team (4th line and 3rd D pairing) BillyG would likely get assets for them if he could and plug-in taxi squad or Iowa guys to replace them for the rest of the season.

Ripjiggen

Not a great message to send to the team that you are selling assets if you are in the thick of it. Especially ones with minimal return. This team seems to have some chemistry as far as I can tell from a television. I guess we will see what happens.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I think he will keep the team together and the only person I could see him trading would be Dumba as stated many times in this thread. The team looks like they have great chemistry from what I’ve been seeing in the video shots of them pre and post games.

Ripjiggen

I think he will keep the team together and the only person I could see him trading would be Dumba as stated many times in this thread. The team looks like they have great chemistry from what I’ve been seeing in the video shots of them pre and post games.

And I don’t see that trade happening at the in season deadline.

JoeMX1825
    MN

GM’s job is to think short & long term, players know its a business, you don’t think players will care that Dumba will ultimately get traded, they probably hate it, but it is what it is…

again these are role type players, not part of the core…if the return isn’t worth it, he doesn’t have to take the deal…

tswoboda

The Wild are basically guaranteed to be in a playoff spot at the deadline, but how they fare against the other West playoff teams is what really matters. They have 12 games left against the Aves, Knights, and Blues before the deadline and those games should be the deciding factor in whether or not they are seller. If they show those teams are a step above them then they need to sell anyone with value regardless of making the playoffs or not. If they can go even or better against those teams then I’m on board with not selling their UFAs or even trading for a cheap rental if it makes sense. Just don’t go full Marty Hanzal.

Let’s pretend the Wild are considering buying at the deadline, who would they be interested in? Assuming no one gets injured, they don’t need any defensemen or wings, so that leaves centers – and definitely a top 6 center. Are there even any top 6 centers available as rentals? None come to mind. I think their version of buying will be not selling the pending UFAs they were planning to sell coming into the season.

Cole, Bonino, and Hartman are the guys I think they could sell and actually get something for. Cole has been the best player out of that group, but I think Mermis showed he could fill that hole in the defense for the rest of the season. Bonino and Hartman would probably be worth less than Cole in a trade and those spots are probably harder to fill.

Cole has been really good for the Wild and it would be tough to see him go, but he’s gone after this season regardless. If they could get a 3rd rounder or better for him, that’s a hell of a trade for BillyG – essentially upgrading from Pateryn for half a season and then turning him into a decent draft pick. Bergevin did that with Scandella last year. Could they retain another 50% of Cole’s AAV in a trade? Lots of contenders are right up against the cap ceiling or over in LTIR.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KP wrote:</div>

And I don’t see that trade happening at the in season deadline.

Agree Dumba’s not going anywhere until after the season is over.

GM’s job is to think short & long term, players know its a business, you don’t think players will care that Dumba will ultimately get traded, they probably hate it, but it is what it is…

again these are role type players, not part of the core…if the return isn’t worth it, he doesn’t have to take the deal…

A lot will depend on the return for any potential rentals, which could be minimal this year.

CaptainMusky

Cole has been really good for the Wild and it would be tough to see him go, but he’s gone after this season regardless. If they could get a 3rd rounder or better for him, that’s a hell of a trade for BillyG – essentially upgrading from Pateryn for half a season and then turning him into a decent draft pick. Bergevin did that with Scandella last year. Could they retain another 50% of Cole’s AAV in a trade? Lots of contenders are right up against the cap ceiling or over in LTIR.

Cole has a Cap hit of $3.4M, but the Avs are retaining $800K of that. The Wild only have $1.1M in Cap space right now, so I dont know how much they could retain, but at the deadline it wouldnt be much to be 50% so a trade there is plausible.

tswoboda

Cole has a Cap hit of $3.4M, but the Avs are retaining $800K of that. The Wild only have $1.1M in Cap space right now, so I dont know how much they could retain, but at the deadline it wouldnt be much to be 50% so a trade there is plausible.

Yeah the Aves are already retaining $800k (about 20%) so I’m wondering if the wild can retain 50% of current cap hit to bring it down $1.7m or only 50% of original which would leave it at $2.1m. It probably doesn’t matter but a lower cap hit could open the door to more trade options with teams right up against the cap. Mermis is close to the minimum salary so Wild would have no issue popping him into the lineup while retaining salary.

CaptainMusky

Yeah the Aves are already retaining $800k (about 20%) so I’m wondering if the wild can retain 50% of current cap hit to bring it down $1.7m or only 50% of original which would leave it at $2.1m. It probably doesn’t matter but a lower cap hit could open the door to more trade options with teams right up against the cap. Mermis is close to the minimum salary so Wild would have no issue popping him into the lineup while retaining salary.

Agreed! And I liked what I saw of him in his short stint. Russo reported they didnt want to send him back, they had no choice in that article chronicling the navigating the COVID situation.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Cole could start a bargaining war since Veteran D are in such high demand and lots of teams are looking due to injuries, the fact that we could retain some of his salary helps too (I wonder if the 50% max salary retention rule is cumulative?)

If you get a top team desperate enough perhaps a 2nd rounder is possible…unlikely but if they think he’s the missing piece at that lower salary hit then just maybe…

I think you’ll see the RedWings and Senators get involved in alot of 3 way deals just to retain 50% salary.

tswoboda

Cole could start a bargaining war since Veteran D are in such high demand and lots of teams are looking due to injuries, the fact that we could retain some of his salary helps too (I wonder if the 50% max salary retention rule is cumulative?)

If you get a top team desperate enough perhaps a 2nd rounder is possible…unlikely but if they think he’s the missing piece at that lower salary hit then just maybe…

I think you’ll see the RedWings and Senators get involved in alot of 3 way deals just to retain 50% salary.

Tampa Bay is the fit I see for Cole. They need depth at right D, and even though Cole is left handed he played more on the right side in recent years.

CaptainMusky

Shots fired? So, with the Hartman injury we knew there would be A callup, but Wild bringing up Mayhew AND Rau? Hmmm, healthy scratch?

tswoboda

Shots fired? So, with the Hartman injury we knew there would be A callup, but Wild bringing up Mayhew AND Rau? Hmmm, healthy scratch?

Yeah there will be a healthy scratch, and it’ll likely be Mayhew or Rau. They’re different players and I’m guessing they bring both so they can use Rau if they want defense and Mayhew if they want offense.

I mean maybe Bjugy gets scratched, but I doubt it. The most deserving would be Parise, but that might not truly be a “healthy” scratch.

CaptainMusky

Yeah there will be a healthy scratch, and it’ll likely be Mayhew or Rau. They’re different players and I’m guessing they bring both so they can use Rau if they want defense and Mayhew if they want offense.

I mean maybe Bjugy gets scratched, but I doubt it. The most deserving would be Parise, but that might not truly be a “healthy” scratch.

Twitter chatter is going Wild (pun intended) speculating its Parise after his stunt last game and then just overall lackluster play.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Twitter chatter is going Wild (pun intended) speculating its Parise after his stunt last game and then just overall lackluster play.

Ha! I was thinking the samething…wow wouldn’t that be something..5 years too late if so…

or

Everybody in the Org finally admits something’s not right with him and he takes a few games off….

CaptainMusky

Whoa!!! “Coach Dean Evason dodged a question about Parise’s lengthy shift after Monday’s game but subtly said Tuesday: “It’ll be addressed.”” well, it has been addressed!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Zack was the 1st player out on the ice by himself very early for pre-skate today…I think Deano might have actually done it…

tswoboda

Zack was the 1st player out on the ice by himself very early for pre-skate today…I think Deano might have actually done it…

Yeah Russo confirmed Parise is scratched in the article Musky posted.

His next story should be on Evason’s extraordinarily large cohones.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Bravo to Evason! The coach now runs the team…

bravo

KP
    Hudson, WI

Wow only his 2nd time being scratched and 1st as a member of the Wild. Interesting article from Russo.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it will be very telling to see how Parise and Evason/BG come out of this…

IF Parise is a team guy, he’ll take his medicine and come back the next game with a chip on his shoulder and want to earn his teammates and coaches trust back.

IF Parise is a me-first guy, this could be the beginning of the end and perhaps he then lifts his NTC and BG starts looking for a trade partner…

we shall see….I suspect the decision was mutual between Evason and BG

CaptainMusky

They really had no choice in retrospect. I mean, you cannot let ANYONE get by with that and had they it would really drive a wedge in the lockerroom when we all know someone like Hartman or really anyone else does that they are in the street clothes the next game.

Ripjiggen

Really curious to see how ZP responds to the scratch. Listening to KFAN now and they are talking about how he was butt hurt about not being named captain. Seams silly considering he is still an alternate. Apparently the coach GM saw the same shift I saw on tv that cost them the tying goal. Apparently his quote was I was trying to help Folingo get a hat trick. He addressed the team and they said they have his back. Russo Twitter. For the wild sake I hope it lights a fire as I think moving him even f he lifts his NTC would be very difficult without eating most of his salary.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Max salary retention is 50%, but i’m not sure if/how things change if the base salary still owed is much less like Parise’s front loaded salary was…caphit still stays the same..

Viewing 30 posts - 1,111 through 1,140 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.