2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Kaprizov and Zuc have also been guilty several times lately of taking way too long of shifts… I keep waiting for the TV camera to pan on Evason chewing them out for it, yet to see that….

tswoboda

I couldnt stay up anymore. I went to bed when they were up 4-2. Its my fault. I take full responsibility and will try and do better next time.

You missed the wild getting absolutely pummeled the last 10 minutes. It was the worst they’ve ever looked against Vegas. The wild have always dominated Vegas but they’re a different team this year. They’ve transformed from a small run and gun team to a big team that defends really well and is still super dangerous on the rush.

I can’t believe they are putting Kaprizov with Greenway out there when you have him and Zucc playing so well together. Kaprizov Zucc and Brodin would be almost unbeatable 3 on 3 and then you follow it with Fiala, Eck, and Spurg. Having Greenway out there slows everything down which is exactly why they were so bad the last two seasons in OT.

Greenway has been great in OT. He’s a possession monster that can skate and defend. He just made a big no no when he left his feet in the neutral zone and gave them a 2 on 1 from the blueline. Hopefully he learns from that.

Kaprizov and Zuc have also been guilty several times lately of taking way too long of shifts… I keep waiting for the TV camera to pan on Evason chewing them out for it, yet to see that….

Agreed, Kaprizov especially looks really tired on extended shifts almost every game. The Parise play was just so obviously selfish and he got burned for it, even tired he should have made that play. Something is not right with him, let’s hope it’s more than just age.

Zuc did get clipped with the puck in the face at the very end of the game, I think he was getting repairs at the time of the OT goal…

I thought it was a stick, but the refs refused to call a penalty on Vegas all game.

CaptainMusky

The Knights are absolutely a different team this year. That was the first thing I noticed was how much beef they have in the lineup now.
    They get 1 point, but that is the only silver lining here. They had that game won through 2 periods and just looked flat all of the third. Stone figures in with primary assist on all 5 goals?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Reaves is and always will be a punk ass goon too. He’s one of the very last few goons still on an NHL roster.

CaptainMusky

Reaves is and always will be a punk ass goon too. He’s one of the very last few goons still on an NHL roster.

Yep, that is certainly true. Tom Wilson also raises his hand.

JoeMX1825
    MN

He can skate and is the top heavyweight in the entire league…Their 4th line can dominate the game physically. Reeves is so large and gets a full head of steam on checks that he’s going to seriously hurt somebody some game. I hate his dorky kid like antics from the bench but nobody is willing to try and shut him up..

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

He can skate and is the top heavyweight in the entire league…Their 4th line can dominate the game physically. Reeves is so large and gets full head of steam on checks that he’s going to seriously hurt somebody some game. I hate his dorky kid like antics from the bench but nobody is willing to try and shut him up..

Yeah… noooo. Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves should not be mentioned in the same breath. Sure both are tough guys but Wilson is actually a good hockey player, Reaves is not. VGK’s 4th line in general is horrendous this year. Wild scored at least 3 of the 4 goals on that line last night, and those were goals by the Wild’s 3rd and 4th lines. That could really hurt them down the stretch with the condensed schedule this year.

Can we all acknowledge how good of a team Vegas is and the fact that they don’t have the proverbial “LEGIT NUMBER ONE CENTER”.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Reeves is not paid to score, he’d paid to play physical, intimidate smaller players on the ice and protect his skill guys from being taken advantage of… I’d say he does that probably better than anybody else in the league…

if you don’t think that matters, rewatch the game from last night and watch how many Wild players pulled their chute when he was barring down on them along the boards…

and yes Wilson is a much better skilled player, no denying that…I think Reeves would be much more respected as a hockey player if he quit all of his trash talking antics and just played the damn game, but that’s not who is is…

CaptainMusky

Wilson is certainly more skilled no questioning that, but they both play a heavy game. I do think that Wilson is much cheaper and dirtier than Reaves however.

CaptainMusky

I think what really hurt the Wild in the 3rd was losing Hartman for the vast majority of it. Lines got juggled around and we definitely missed his presence out there. Not sure how significant the injury is, but whenever you take a one-timer that is not usually very good. Double shifting Kaprisov on the 4th line is a recipe for disaster too. Might see someone slip into the lineup. Wonder if Mayhew might get a call up or even Johnson since he is probably a more stable Center.

tswoboda

Reeves is not paid to score, he’d paid to play physical, intimidate smaller players on the ice and protect his skill guys from being taken advantage of… I’d say he does that probably better than anybody else in the league…

if you don’t think that matters, rewatch the game from last night and watch how many Wild players pulled their chute when he was barring down on them along the boards…

and yes Wilson is a much better skilled player, no denying that…I think Reeves would be much more respected as a hockey player if he quit all of his trash talking antics and just played the damn game, but that’s not who is is…

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree about Reaves. Regarding last nights game, did you see how many times he got scored on?? He’s a 4th liner that takes a lot of penalties and can’t even play on the PK. His line has been giving up chances all year. This isn’t the 1980s, teams don’t have enforcers.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This isn’t the 1980s, teams don’t have enforcers.

He’s got 1 assist through 18 games played, and 11 penalty minutes. I’m actually surprised he ONLY has 11 penalty minutes.

JoeMX1825
    MN

i’m sure his Vegas teammates appreciate him and the protection he supplies for them on the ice…Vegas management appreciated him enough to give him a contract extension last season…

He’s had 9 & 8 goals respectively the past 2 seasons, so I wouldn’t call him a worthless goon, he wouldn’t be in the NHL if he couldn’t skate and he’s actually quite good a skater for his size…This was the 1st game I’ve watched of the Golden Knights this year so I don’t know if their 4th line changed much from the previous years I’ve watched them and their 4th line was a physical force that brought instant energy to their team when they were on the ice…

You can bet all players know when they are on the ice with him and take an extra 1/2 second to check where he is when they have or are about to get the puck…He can be alot more impactful than your typical 4th line guy who just forechecks..

tswoboda

I understand what role Reaves plays on the team and that looking at his point totals is, well, pointless – no pun intended. I just believe the cons outweigh the pros and there’s a reason his type of player is a dying breed in the NHL. IMO he’s overpaid but I think part of why he fits in Vegas is for the entertainment value he brings and he is a marketing tool (also just a tool) in that market. Look at a bottom 6 role player on the Wild with a similar AAV – would you rather have Ryan Reaves or Ryan Hartman on your team? That’s an easy answer for me.

CaptainMusky

I understand what role Reaves plays on the team and that looking at his point totals is, well, pointless – no pun intended. I just believe the cons outweigh the pros and there’s a reason his type of player is a dying breed in the NHL.

We should call up Cody McLeod from Iowa for next game LOL

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well alright, now that’s a strategy. Fight fire with more fire.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    I understand what role Reaves plays on the team and that looking at his point totals is, well, pointless – no pun intended. I just believe the cons outweigh the pros and there’s a reason his type of player is a dying breed in the NHL.

LOL I still don’t understand why or how he plays for the baby Wild. All I remember about McCLeod was him running Granlund on a center ice faceoff with like 5 seconds left and then Coyle having to step in and fight him… Coyle actually held his own and didn’t get pummeled if I remember right? Rumor has it the only fan in the X cheering for that fight was Grouse chased

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

LOL I still don’t understand why or how he plays for the baby Wild. All I remember about McCLeod was him running Granlund on a center ice faceoff with like 5 seconds left and then Coyle having to step in and fight him… Coyle actually held his own and didn’t get pummeled if I remember right? Rumor has it the only fan in the X cheering for that fight was Grouse chased

Yeah, signing him certainly didnt make any sense. Unless they were to bring up for playoffs or something against a beefy team, but he doesnt move the needle much anymore. He’s only played in 4 games down there and has 6 PIM.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Greenway has been great in OT. He’s a possession monster that can skate and defend. He just made a big no no when he left his feet in the neutral zone and gave them a 2 on 1 from the blueline. Hopefully he learns from that.

He might be a possession monster but he has no offensive ability. Sure he can make a pass here and there but he’s a gritty goal type guy to me. Kaprizov is a possession monster and Zucc is not too shabby either. The chemistry those two have right now has way more upside that Kaprizov and Greenway playing together. I’m not sure how you could deny that.

tswoboda

He might be a possession monster but he has no offensive ability. Sure he can make a pass here and there but he’s a gritty goal type guy to me. Kaprizov is a possession monster and Zucc is not too shabby either. The chemistry those two have right now has way more upside that Kaprizov and Greenway playing together. I’m not sure how you could deny that.

I didn’t denying anything. I just don’t understand your Zuccs argument… he was unavailable for OT last night due to injury. He would have been out there otherwise (as he should be), so who are you mad at? Possession is the name of the game in 3 on 3 OT and if you’re watching the games you know that no one has taken the puck from Greenway this season (in OT) until last night when he lost the 50/50 battle against Mark Stone. Greenway has been really good in OT… he had assists on the last 2 OT goals, not bad for someone WiTh No OfFeNSiVe AbIlLiTy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I didn’t denying anything. I just don’t understand your Zuccs argument… he was unavailable for OT last night due to injury. He would have been out there otherwise (as he should be), so who are you mad at? Possession is the name of the game in 3 on 3 OT and if you’re watching the games you know that no one has taken the puck from Greenway this season (in OT) until last night when he lost the 50/50 battle against Mark Stone. Greenway has been really good in OT… he had assists on the last 2 OT goals, not bad for someone WiTh No OfFeNSiVe AbIlLiTy.

I didn’t realize Zucc was not available. He didn’t play with KK in OT against the Kings either. I just think their chemistry and Kaprizov’s ability to hold on to the puck work better. As long as they got the puck off the draw I’d bet my money on OT being over rather quickly with those two out there. But I’m no great hockey mind. I also just don’t trust Greenway I guess. Maybe he’ll keep proving me wrong…..or maybe he won’t.

tswoboda

I also just don’t trust Greenway I guess. Maybe he’ll keep proving me wrong…..or maybe he won’t.

I woulda said the same thing about Greenway last year, but he’s looked like a completely different person this year.

But I’m no great hockey mind.

LOL as a group of guys talking about hockey on a fishing forum, I think we can all say the same.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I also just don’t trust Greenway I guess. Maybe he’ll keep proving me wrong…..or maybe he won’t.

I woulda said the same thing about Greenway last year, but he’s looked like a completely different person this year.

But I’m no great hockey mind.

He has been a much better player. Had a stretch until the last couple games where he was not very noticeable again though. I still need to see it over a little more time.

CaptainMusky

Crosby on covid list. Is this the tank the wild need for a better first round pick? Pens have a ton of injuries as zucker will be out several weeks too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Like I said, if Greenway gets stuck on a long shift in OT he doesn’t have the motor to lug his huge body to backcheck on an empty tank and if you lose a puck race in OT, it’s game over…His desperation dive at the puck was because he had no gas left to chase him down… These are the same bad habits we’ve had in the many OT losses before this year, Koivu or Parise would get stuck on the ice with no gas left and get a lazy change and the guy racing off the bench to get back in the play would be 1/2 second too late..game over…

I think an OT rotation of Brodin/Ek/Fiala then Zuc/Kaprizov/Dumba and then Spurgeon/Greenway/Hartman to spot those guys if they get tired…

The Wild proved they can hang with the Division leaders, this will go along way building their confidence, tomorrow night should be another fun game!

Ripjiggen

Nothing wrong with losing to Vegas in OT 3-3. It’s a little bit of a gimmick playing 3 on 3 anyway. Turn the puck over and it usually cost you 3 on 3 it happens.
    I still think the tying goal was worse.
    All the talk a few games in on this thread was about all the UFA they were going to be selling at the deadline. Not sure about you guys but the wild could very well be buyers and not sellers at the deadline. Bjugstad isn’t with much if anything. Johansson unless he comes back sooner than later isn’t worth much. Bonino I think they keep if they are in the playoffs. Hunt is not even suiting up.
    Kind of crazy to see how things change in just a few weeks.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nothing wrong with losing to Vegas in OT 3-3. It’s a little bit of a gimmick playing 3 on 3 anyway. Turn the puck over and it usually cost you 3 on 3 it happens.
    I still think the tying goal was worse.
    All the talk a few games in on this thread was about all the UFA they were going to be selling at the deadline. Not sure about you guys but the wild could very well be buyers and not sellers at the deadline. Bjugstad isn’t with much if anything. Johansson unless he comes back sooner than later isn’t worth much. Bonino I think they keep if they are in the playoffs. Hunt is not even suiting up.
    Kind of crazy to see how things change in just a few weeks.

Cole and Bonino are the only guys teams would want now, Johansson and Bjugstad are playing themselves out of the league next year…

Ripjiggen

So are they buyers? They have 2 first rounders to play with? As I think Bonino and Cole actually fill their roles. Obviously have some time to see where they are at standings wise in a few weeks but let’s say they are the 2-3 seed. Has/Does Billy’s plans changed over the course of the season.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I dont see them buying at all, BillyG doesnt want to pay for a rental with the prospects he needs to keep the cupboards filled, UNLESS he can find a pending rfa #2 center offer he could potentially sign longer term. You dont want to take on another contract especially with the unknowns of the total cost of resigning Kaprizov/Fiala/Ek longer term. I think they’ll get what they can for Cole and Bonino and make a trade offer for whatever 1C/2C options are available before the draft, then start committing to their Division/conference/cup run window starting next season.

I think BillyG presented a 2 year plan (year 1 clean house, year 2 evaluate core for long term plan & start building the plan) for his vision of the Wild when he interviewed for the job, the results of that plan start next year.

Ripjiggen

I tend to agree with you on not not buying. Although I am not sure they are selling Bonino and Cole if they are a top 8 team closer to the deadline.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,081 through 1,110 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.