2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

Something like 10 of the next 16 games are against the top 3 teams in the Division. Will be a grind for sure. The Wild are 1 point back of the Avs and have played the same number of games as they have. Otherwise they have played 2 or 3 less than the other two teams above them ‘Yotes and Kings. Provided they can take care of their games against those two teams they should be in a playoff spot soon.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ek has ZERO offensive creativity and ZERO touch & finesse with the puck, he’s a hack & chop at the puck type of player…if he was anything other than that, he would have shown it at some sustained point in his hockey career (Junior or NHL) Look at his goals this year, hacks and chops around the crease (besides the one the other night basically shooting into an pen net from 25 feet away due to a combination of 2 good on the rush passes putting the goalie out of position)

He’s the prototypical NHL 3rd line center, if you were going to create a player into a 3rd line shut down center, Ek would be the mold used…

CaptainMusky

Watched the Buffalo game a bit last night and really paid attention to Eichel’s shifts. He doesnt play a 200 foot game at all. He’s got speed, size and all the other traits you want from a 1C, but it just brought back memories of watching him leading up to the draft when he was up against McDavid for #1 pick. I still have the same reservations with him as I did back then.
    He seems to loaf around the neutral zone far too much relying on his D to get the puck fed up to him.

tswoboda

Ek has ZERO offensive creativity and ZERO touch & finesse with the puck, he’s a hack & chop at the puck type of player…if he was anything other than that, he would have shown it at some sustained point in his hockey career (Junior or NHL).

Better check his history, Ek produced a lot of offense at all levels of juniors.

The Wild continue to beat up on the bottom feeders; something we haven’t seen in years past. They’ll come back to reality in the coming weeks but if they can steal a few points against the Aves/Knights and continue to take care of business against the garbage teams, then they’ll be in the playoffs easily. The Blues have played an equally soft schedule and are behind the Wild in the standings.

CaptainMusky

The Blues have played an equally soft schedule and are behind the Wild in the standings.

The Blues are currently second, but have played 4 more games that Wild. Wild have a better win%, but are lower in pts. Only 4 teams in the Division have a + goal differential and the Wild are one of them. Goal tending has not been a weak point this year so that is good. Kaapo had given up a few softies early in the season, but has really settled in I think. Having the goalie coach he had in Iowa I think is good for him.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    The Blues have played an equally soft schedule and are behind the Wild in the standings.

The Blues are currently second, but have played 4 more games that Wild. Wild have a better win%, but are lower in pts. Only 4 teams in the Division have a + goal differential and the Wild are one of them. Goal tending has not been a weak point this year so that is good. Kaapo had given up a few softies early in the season, but has really settled in I think. Having the goalie coach he had in Iowa I think is good for him.

I said this in an earlier post, but it’s still an embarrassment to the NHL that they publish standings ranked by total points instead of points percentage. Wild are currently 3rd in the division.

The goaltending has been refreshing this year. Neither are great, but both have been solidly average which is lightyears better than what this team has had the last 2 years.

CaptainMusky

I said this in an earlier post, but it’s still an embarrassment to the NHL that they publish standings ranked by total points instead of points percentage. Wild are currently 3rd in the division.

Yep, I remember that, and no disagreement from me at all. Especially considering some teams may not get all 56 games in and they will have to resort to using that metric to determine standings. Vegas is on the verge of running away with it though it seems.
    I am not real impressed with the Blues this year. They are not getting the goaltending they have in Binnington and they dont really have any dynamic forwards with Tarasenko out. The Wild could really surprise some people by finishing higher than the pundits thought and end up ahead of the Blues. As has been said though our schedule is about to get a lot tougher so this will be a determining stretch.

CaptainMusky

Watching the rest of last night’s game and boy does KK take a lot of cheap shots. Burns got him a couple times and he was blatantly tripped in the O Zone and no call on any of them. Foligno might have to get on the ice with KK at some point to straighten some faces.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Watching the rest of last night’s game and boy does KK take a lot of cheap shots. Burns got him a couple times and he was blatantly tripped in the O Zone and no call on any of them. Foligno might have to get on the ice with KK at some point to straighten some faces.

Teams are testing the kid to see if he reacts and can be thrown off his game, word will get around that it’s a wasted effort and will result in Foligno answering the call. Kap will also need to learn the areas you do and don’t go into on the ice though too…if he’s going to go hard to the net and crease, he should expect to get hammered…I still get scared sometimes he makes cuts and moves that worked in the KHL but will get your head taken off in the NHL…it’s a league feel out process hopefully he gets through without getting hurt…he’s pretty special though…

CaptainMusky

Yeah, there were certainly a few times that I thought he was going to get blown up but thankfully since the opposition isnt used to him much yet, they are usually taken off guard. The cross checks to the back, elbow to the back of the head and the kneeing leg whip that happened last night are something he is going to continue to get tested with. You are 100% right.

JoeMX1825
    MN

not sure if the refs had a late dinner reservation somewhere, but they called NOTHING the last 5 minutes of that game when there should have been like 5 obvious penalties…it was kind of funny watching the players reactions, the guy that did that leg trip on Kaprizov got up and shook his head down and turned towards the box waiting for the refs call that never came….

tswoboda

not sure if the refs had a late dinner reservation somewhere, but they called NOTHING the last 5 minutes of that game when there should have been like 5 obvious penalties…it was kind of funny watching the players reactions, the guy that did that leg trip on Kaprizov got up and shook his head down and turned towards the box waiting for the refs call that never came….

This is where Grouse needs to chime in and remind us Wild players don’t get protected like other top players around the league. He’s right, the shots kaprizov is taking are penalties every time if they’re against Crosby or McDavid. Unfortunately the days of Foligno being able to protect him are pretty much over. That’s up to the refs now.

Foligno’s fight reminded me of last year when he KOed 19 year old Joel Farabee and the held him up from hitting the ice. What are these guys doing fighting him?! It’s fun when Carter is in the booth to give first hand experience about Foligno’s concrete fists.

CaptainMusky

Foligno’s fight reminded me of last year when he KOed 19 year old Joel Farabee and the held him up from hitting the ice. What are these guys doing fighting him?! It’s fun when Carter is in the booth to give first hand experience about Foligno’s concrete fists.

It was hilarious when he was talking about his fight with Foligno back in the day and Marcus’ dad was Carter’s coach at the time. LOL
    Russo trolled Carter on twitter right after he mentioned in and sent LaPanta the link to the fight. Yowsers. Sleepy time for Cartzy.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

It was hilarious when he was talking about his fight with Foligno back in the day and Marcus’ dad was Carter’s coach at the time. LOL
    Russo trolled Carter on twitter right after he mentioned in and sent LaPanta the link to the fight. Yowsers. Sleepy time for Cartzy.

Yeah I’ve heard him tell that story before if I remember right Carter injured his knee when he got KOed and was out a few weeks. Not sure how it wasn’t a broken orbital or jaw.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Ek has ZERO offensive creativity and ZERO touch & finesse with the puck, he’s a hack & chop at the puck type of player…if he was anything other than that, he would have shown it at some sustained point in his hockey career (Junior or NHL).

Better check his history, Ek produced a lot of offense at all levels of juniors.

The Wild continue to beat up on the bottom feeders; something we haven’t seen in years past. They’ll come back to reality in the coming weeks but if they can steal a few points against the Aves/Knights and continue to take care of business against the garbage teams, then they’ll be in the playoffs easily. The Blues have played an equally soft schedule and are behind the Wild in the standings.

Beat me to the EK comment he was very good in Juniors in the scoring department.
    I get he is not as flashy as some would like to see. I just don’t see the Wild getting a true stud center in a trade like Jack or Barkov. However depth at center overall is an issue. I see them trading for more of a possible or potential top center and giving more like a Dumba and a pick/prospect deal for someone somewhat unproven and with that there is risk that it doesn’t pan out.

I am not saying EK is going to turn into a 1c but I think pegging him for no more than a 3c is a little early
    Take a guy like Marchesault in Vegas pretty sure nobody had him pegged as a 1 or 2 center after his first 3 years in the NHL. He didn’t start producing till he was 27 years old. Same with Karlsson. Can you win and get to the cup with out a true stud 1 center. It maybe harder but I believe you can if you have solid depth down the middle and some wingers that can net.

Looking forward to playing anybody outside of Cali.

Florida has seemed to work out whatever issue they had with Yandle as he now has 13 pts in 17 games. When they were talking about making him a healthy scratch this year.

That Pannarin story is pretty messed up as well. Hopefully KK isn’t into politics. shock

CaptainMusky

That Pannarin story is pretty messed up as well. Hopefully KK isn’t into politics. shock

Yeah, its scary for sure. I mean, I wouldnt put it past them to put out a hit on him or his family.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Yeah, its scary for sure. I mean, I wouldnt put it past them to put out a hit on him or his family.

Breadman is the guy all Wild fans hopes Kaprizov turns into! Minus the switching teams and politics.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Breadman is the guy all Wild fans hopes Kaprizov turns into! Minus the switching teams and politics.

That would be sweet, but heck, I would take 75% of the breadman if I am being honest.
    KK is in some lofty company after his first 15 games with Russians points wise. Malkin, Ovi and Panarin are all ahead of him, but just to be in the same discussion is awesome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That would be sweet, but heck, I would take 75% of the breadman if I am being honest.
    KK is in some lofty company after his first 15 games with Russians points wise. Malkin, Ovi and Panarin are all ahead of him, but just to be in the same discussion is awesome.
    [/quote]

One obvious difference between those guys and Kaprizov though is their line mates, Kane/Toews/Crosby/Backstrom/Bondra, etc, etc, etc… It’s actually quite laughable to look at Kaprizov’s linemates in comparison…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This is where Grouse needs to chime in and remind us Wild players don’t get protected like other top players around the league. He’s right, the shots kaprizov is taking are penalties every time if they’re against Crosby or McDavid. Unfortunately the days of Foligno being able to protect him are pretty much over. That’s up to the refs now.

The Wild also need to send some messages and a game when you’re up 5-2 was the perfect (missed) opportunity to finish a few checks on players taking liberties with Kaprisov.

Although it was funny watching Burns’s jockstrap go flying into cheap seats as he got totally burned trying to defend the empty net by none other than DekeMaster Victor Rask. You’ll find your cup up there in section 235, row 18 there Burnsie…

tswoboda

Tough to compare seasons with Ovi and Malkin since they were 20 in their rookie year. Kaprizov is really comparable with Panarin though. Both were late bloomers that tore up the KHL for 5 years before coming to the NHL in their prime. Both are “undersized” wingers that don’t have McDavid speed or a Matthews shot, but just really skilled and smart. Both are literally always smiling. They’re so similar that if Stan Bowman were GM he’d probably trade Kaprizov for Nino Niederreiter.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I remember reading that Russian mob pressure was rumored when Kaprizov chose to sign his 3 year deal with CSKA, they don’t like seeing their young stars leave for the NHL and decimate the elite talent level in the KHL…I brushed it off at the time joking “what is this a Godfather movie” but who knows nowadays…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Guess we’ll find out if this little hot streak is for real tonight. I’d really like to see Greenway show up. Haven’t noticed him much over the last couple games.

CaptainMusky

Wild holding their own through one. Kaahkonnen looking sharp. One too many passes on 3 on 1 by KK but somehow Zucc scored from goal line. I could see KK wasn’t happy about a short shift to match lines early on due to D liability but after that is when the magic happened. Parise looks laboring to me.

JoeMX1825
    MN

When is it time to give up on Bjugstad? He’s pretty worthless out there…Mayhew gives you speed and effort every shift yet he rots on the Taxi squad…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

When is it time to give up on Bjugstad? He’s pretty worthless out there…Mayhew gives you speed and effort every shift yet he rots on the Taxi squad…

I agree. Can’t hang on to the puck in the few instances he actually gets to one.

CaptainMusky

Mayhew’s not a center though.
    As I said about Parise he has silky mitts lol

JoeMX1825
    MN

My lord was that a clinic on edge work by Kaprizov on that 4-4 shift, the kid is special!

CaptainMusky

My lord was that a clinic on edge work by Kaprizov on that 4-4 shift, the kid is special!

woof! When I played we would say “hit the prick” whelp, you can’t catch him or knock him off the puck. Good Lord!

Viewing 30 posts - 931 through 960 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.