2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Man they looked good outside of a few minutes last night. That passing on that Ek goal was something I haven’t seen from the Wild in a while and Fiala is starting to get to the point where he was when last season was paused. It’s amazing to me how he can be stuck in the corner and come out with the puck with two or three guys all over him.

JoeMX1825
    MN

They looked a bit better last night but lets not forget the Duck’s are godawful!!

Hartman looked decent at center, but again its against the Ducks…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Addison back to the minors. Probably a good thing with our D core back to being healthy.

CaptainMusky

Rask was 13 of 14 on faceoffs. Who had that on their wild bingo card?

tswoboda

Kaprizov might just be able to prop Rask up enough to get that contract traded! They’ve actually had some nice chemistry playing together. That line with Zucc kinda makes sense with 3 guys that think the game at a high level offensively. Good chance they have some trouble on defense against good teams though.

Fiala with Ek and Greenway makes a lot of sense too. Fiala gets 5 shots a game and the big boys are going to the net and forchecking machines. The Fiala PP goal and Ek goal were beautiful, I think everyone’s jaw dropped when Fiala dropped it on a breakaway with 2 goals already. The PP goal should be their model going forward… Clean zone entry, 2 quick passes, get it to the net, and hammer away.

Overall they played well against a really bad team, but if they continue to take care of business against those teams they’ll be in the playoffs easily. Gibson let a couple softies in but also made a few really tough saves too. Did I mention the Ducks are terrible?

Now I hope coach Creed can just leave the lines alone for a couple games and see what happens.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A couple of pages back when the possibility of the Sabres trading Eichel and could the Wild be a contender, I have to admit I thought you guys needed to crack the door on the flip over because the fumes were getting to you. I could not see any trade that the Sabres would do other than a 1:1 star-for-star trade and the Wild have nothing to offer on a deal like that.

But I just read an SB Nation / Hockey Wilderness article that lays out the reasons why this trade could make sense and here’s one I didn’t know: The Sabres will owe Eichel a $7.5 million dollar bonus on July 1 if he stays. Since the Sabres owner is reported to have financial issues, that bonus looms very, very large on the horizon.

The article mentions a deal like Eichel to the Wild for Ericksson Ek, Dumba, Talbot, and one of our R1 2021 picks.

Even with Ek as part of the deal, I doubt the Sabres would go for it. Since the Wild’s centerman desperation is well-known, I would think the Sabres would smell blood put the price even higher. I have to think they would want multiple R1 picks out of the deal with the Wild.

One thing the article doesn’t mention is what is the structure of that bonus in terms of would the obligation come over to the Wild with Eichel? I wonder how that would fit with our cap situation?

I would hate to lose Ek, but it is fun to think about a team with Kaprisov, Fiala, Rossi, Boldy, and Eichel. Especially interesting to think of how LONG that lineup could last once it got put together because Eichel is only 24.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would do that trade in a second, which is why Buffalo will laugh at it…I’m sure the Wild would be on the hook for the bonus but that just means sometime in the future his actual salary is much less than his caphit.

I really think a huge trade for a top center like Eichel or Barkov is likely going to involve Fiala or Kaprizov though…especially since they both are going to want huge raises next contract, can we afford them all? If we move towards a 4th line of minimum contracts (like Sturm) the $$ savings could make it possible…Our current 4th line of Bjugstad, Bonino and Sturm costs us almost $7 million

Here’s what I would offer for Eichel (for the record I like the Barkov fit better)

*Fiala
    *Dumba
    *Khovanov
    *The better of our 2021 1st round picks (we’ll know by draft day when a trade like this would likely happen, and in Eichels case, before he’s owed his bonus)
    *our 2021 2nd round pick

This gives Buffalo a potential future star winger in Fiala, a young stud D in Dumba, a center prospect in Khovanov and a 1st & 2nd round picks (we could trade down our other 1st round pick to re-aquire a 2nd or trade our 2x3rd round picks)…The Wild advantage is obviously solving our #1 center problem but also giving us some salary cap flexibility in the future to resign Greenway, Kaprizov, Boldy, Rossi until Parise and Suter come off the books. Remember elite & young #1 Centers becoming available typically never happens, when they do, you’ll have to pay the price to get it. 20 years and this franchise hasn’t filled that void…

I think this type of a big Wild offer (includes both current and future high value assets) is needed to give the Wild an advantage when competing with the multiple elite prospects that the Kings and Rangers would be willing to throw into their offers…If this type of deal could be struck the Wild would hold onto theirs…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would do that trade in a second, which is why Buffalo will laugh at it…I’m sure the Wild would be on the hook for the bonus but that just means sometime in the future his actual salary is much less than his caphit.

I think what would make Buffalo stop laughing and think hard would be 2x R1 picks or an upgrade on the goalie we offer in the package from Talbot to Staylock or even Kappo.

The Sabres can’t be too snooty here, they have real needs beyond goalscoring. They also have an owner in real financial trouble so getting a big money deal off the books has to have some attraction.

JoeMX1825
    MN

we’ll see, I would absolutely give up both 1st rounders this year if that’s what it takes (I wouldn’t include any future 1sts, especially 2022 draft)

I just think Buffalo will consult with alot of smart hockey guys and get a good idea what exactly they should get for Eichel, I agree that the timing is key as Buffalo loses alot of control and $$ with NTC kicking in and bonuses needing to be paid out soon, so if something is going to happen, it’s likely to happen between the end of this season and before the Draft or the bonus payment deadline if the draft gets pushed out…

CaptainMusky

Interesting hypotheticals here. It would suck to lose Fiala, but its going to take a player like that to even move the needle for a team to even consider giving up a 1C. Though Eichel is a top tier talent, I am not sure he is the guy I would target if Barkov would be available, but there are really not many other options out there.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, you hit the nail on the head, you need to give alot to get alot…

other than the Wild missing the playoffs and somehow winning the likely future adjusted lottery that gives the worst teams an even greater chance to win it and reducing how far up the teams that barely missed the playoffs can move up, how are we ever going to get the stud top pick center prospects that have the best chance of actually turning into a 1C? The Wild will never be one of the worst teams in the NHL anytime soon, not with the talent they have on the team. Signing a top FA is never going to happen, even if a 1C does get to FA, they will likely want to play in the big markets to get the endorsement dollars that likely dwarf their actual salary.

We’ll have to trade for one and we’ll have to overpay what a fair offer would be to beat out the big markets…

IF Fiala and Kaprizov continue to improve and turn into stars, there’s ZERO chance we can afford BOTH of them and still have money left over for a top Center, the mid-level role players and the many Defenseman we already have locked up with NTC’s for 4+ years…We’re going to have to trade one of them, sooner rather than later…

OR

We see what Rossi and Khusnodinov turn into in 2-3 years and HOPE they can be the guy…the problem with that is who the hell do we put out at Center until then? Will Fiala and Kaprizov want to go through the growing pains of Rossi and Khusnidinov learning on the job?

CaptainMusky

We see what Rossi and Khusnodinov turn into in 2-3 years and HOPE they can be the guy…the problem with that is who the hell do we put out at Center until then? Will Fiala and Kaprizov want to go through the growing pains of Rossi and Khusnidinov learning on the job?

Yeah, that’s the big question mark. You are hoping they develop. By all accounts Rossi was NHL ready according to a lot of scouts, but he undoubtedly is going to set WAAAAAY back now. He wont have any games under him for nearly a year by the time next season rolls around. That is going to be tough and he will not even be able to train for quite some time yet.
    Good news is he’s young and he has a lot of determination and drive so he should get in shape quickly, but not playing games for that long is a major setback. Maybe he can play NHL 2021 and put himself on a line with KK97 and they can build chemistry that way. LOL
    Been reading a lot about the Wild’s current cap situation and that with guys coming back they are likely going to have to make a move at minimum put someone on waivers. They are up against it right now and sounds like Soucy is back tonight. The odd man out might be Hunt.

tswoboda

IF Fiala and Kaprizov continue to improve and turn into stars, there’s ZERO chance we can afford BOTH of them and still have money left over for a top Center, the mid-level role players and the many Defenseman we already have locked up with NTC’s for 4+ years…We’re going to have to trade one of them, sooner rather than later…

OR

So with what we know right now, who would you prefer to keep… Kap or Fiala? That’s a tough call either way, and I wouldn’t have the cohones to move either of them. But you’re right that one needs to go if they Wild plan to trade for a top 15 center.

To answer your second question, Eriksson Ek – He’s been really good this year. I understand the scoring likely isn’t sustainable, but the underlying numbers have been outstanding! His 5v5 expected goals percentage is off the charts (72%) and currently the best in the league by a wide margin. For reference the next closest is Barkov at 65% and Eichel is 5th at 64%. Not to mention Ek is playing against and expected to shut down the opponents top line every night. I don’t think he’s getting nearly enough credit for how good he’s been this year.

Ripjiggen

I would want to keep KK but maybe it is more the mystery that has surrounded him for so many years now. Tough call.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The only thing i’m a little worried about with Kaprizov is his lack of wanting to shoot…I think we talked about it before and most suggested it’s just a comfort level thing on a new team, but sofar he’s lacking the dagger attitude to score, something Fiala has in spades…

It’s a good problem to have, but yes it will be a tough choice…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

OR

So with what we know right now, who would you prefer to keep… Kap or Fiala? That’s a tough call either way, and I wouldn’t have the cohones to move either of them. But you’re right that one needs to go if they Wild plan to trade for a top 15 center.

To answer your second question, Eriksson Ek – He’s been really good this year. I understand the scoring likely isn’t sustainable, but the underlying numbers have been outstanding! His 5v5 expected goals percentage is off the charts (72%) and currently the best in the league by a wide margin. For reference the next closest is Barkov at 65% and Eichel is 5th at 64%. Not to mention Ek is playing against and expected to shut down the opponents top line every night. I don’t think he’s getting nearly enough credit for how good he’s been this year.

Ek’s been good filling in, but he’s forever a 3rd line center in the NHL, he’ll likely be one of the better ones in the league though. 1st & to a degree 2nd line centers are paid to create scoring opportunities for their wingers with creativity and proper positioning and teammate ice awareness, something Ek will never have…

tswoboda

Ek’s been good filling in, but he’s forever a 3rd line center in the NHL, he’ll likely be one of the better ones in the league though. 1st & to a degree 2nd line centers are paid to create scoring opportunities for their wingers with creativity and proper positioning and teammate ice awareness, something Ek will never have…

I just think closing the book on a guy with three NHL seasons is jumping the gun. The development curve is different for every player, and for Joel Eriksson Ek it’s still pointing up. This year is his first real opportunity to play in the top 6 and he’s grabbed the bull by the horns – he didn’t start out as the #1C this year but he’s clearly taken that role. He showed progress last year and with a bigger role through 16 games this year he’s taken a huge leap.

So will Ek ever be a #1C on a cup contender? Absolutely not! But could he be an average #2C? Maybe. Just stop reading Russo’s takes on Ek and give him a chance.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Zuccarello. Looks like a different player. Guess he really was hampered by his injury last season.

Foligno. Wow. What was that kid thinking. I haven’t seen such a one sided fight in a long time. It was like he just stood there getting hit.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yeah wow. Foligno just beat the tar out of that guy.

Rask, Zuccarello, Kaprisov. I think we all knew that this would be a red hot combo. Took Dean long enough to figure it out, but he got there eventually.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nice period by the Wild after Burnzy toasts them in the first 30 seconds…

Does Parise still play for this team anymore? I barely notice him in the play, never hear his name said during play by play…not good

CaptainMusky

Zuccarello. Looks like a different player. Guess he really was hampered by his injury last season.

Foligno. Wow. What was that kid thinking. I haven’t seen such a one sided fight in a long time. It was like he just stood there getting hit.

google the fight he had against Ryan Carter. Oooof

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Does Parise still play for this team anymore? I barely notice him in the play, never hear his name said during play by play…not good

Seriously. I thought last year he was having a hard time getting to pucks. I haven’t noticed him around the net like usual either. Might be getting tired of getting beat up every game. Hartman seems like he’s getting better and better each game too.

As I’m typing this Parise rings the crossbar! Tough start to the season for him.

CaptainMusky

Personally if given the mandate of having to give up one of Fiala and KK. I’d keep KK. It’s so hard to find players that make their linemates better. Honestly look at Rask prime example of benefitting from KK. Zuccarello is looking like he did in NY which is great. If he plays at that level or even close his contract doesn’t look so bad.

CaptainMusky

Agreed on Parise. Didn’t even hear his name for the majority of the game thus far. Fighting something.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Another power play goal?!? Back to back nights applause

Ripjiggen

Not the first time Folingo has called the refs in to stop a fight when he was pummeling a young guy. They may want to make sure they get a good lock on his right arm.
    Had the Gordie Howe hat trick tonight. toast

CaptainMusky

Interesting comments from BG regarding Centers in today’s NHL in Russo’s gamer. He knows more about the game at that level than I do obviously, but I tend to agree with him. It sorta supports what I have been saying about Ek and even Rask to an extent and we can see what they have been doing this year. To paraphrase you dont need a dynamic center to drive and be creative, but you need someone on the line who can. Example Zuccarello, he has done exactly this in his return as a wing and the rest of the line is producing as well as he is. I cannot get over how different he looks this year over last.

JoeMX1825
    MN

BG can say that when you play against the 2 worst teams in your conference and pretty much the league and you win a few decisive games in a row… I don’t think that strategy will work against the better teams…Centers stir the drink, they win faceoffs, help defensively and distribute the puck from the center of the ice (obviously) which forces defenders to stay honest and not cheat to one side…Good centers tilt the table in terms of how much time on a shift you play on the offense vs defense, either via winning a draw or helping getting the puck out of the defensive zone and starting a break out & line rush…

Obviously BG isn’t going to come out and say “our centers are a mess” but he (and everyone) knows it’s a huge hole in this team’s makeup and he’ll do whatever he can to get them filled with quality players…right now he’s throwing anybody at center and seeing who sticks, there’s a reason why Hartman hasn’t played center for 4+ years, he’s not a center…

I think BG’s plan is to just get through this season with what he has and accrue as much draft capital as he can so he has the ammo to make big moves at the draft…

Zuc has been surprising sofar these past few games, I though the was going to be too slow to play with Kaprizov, but he has an ability to find the dead spots on the ice and makes his plays quickly, sofar it’s working, but the competition might have something to do with it…we’ll see

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

BG can say that when you play against the 2 worst teams in your conference and pretty much the league and you win a few decisive games in a row… I don’t think that strategy will work against the better teams

I agree. But when you play them you “should” beat them quite handily. It will be tougher sledding later on when all those games come up against Vegas, St Louis, and Colorado. I think that still accounts for 21 of their games remaining which is a pretty high number. There is good balance in the NHL in terms of competitiveness so even poor teams on paper can beat better teams on a given night.

Ripjiggen

BG can say that when you play against the 2 worst teams in your conference and pretty much the league and you win a few decisive games in a row… I don’t think that strategy will work against the better teams…Centers stir the drink, they win faceoffs, help defensively and distribute the puck from the center of the ice (obviously) which forces defenders to stay honest and not cheat to one side…Good centers tilt the table in terms of how much time on a shift you play on the offense vs defense, either via winning a draw or helping getting the puck out of the defensive zone and starting a break out & line rush…

By this definition Ek could easily be a 2 center. You don’t have to be an elite center to win draws and be sound defensively.

Much different than this definition. Only a handful in the league who do both.

Viewing 30 posts - 901 through 930 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.