2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• CaptainMusky

Hartman is likely a guy that won’t be around after this year but I really like his game.

Ripjiggen

Hartman is likely a guy that won’t be around after this year but I really like his game.

I wouldn’t say that necessarily not like he is going to sign some long term contract with a team. He may like it here and feel like he has a role here. No guarantee as a role player going somewhere else where you may not be as valued or a have a certain role. Besides they only have 6-7 forwards under contract have to fill out a roster some how.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t say that necessarily not like he is going to sign some long term contract with a team. He may like it here and feel like he has a role here. No guarantee as a role player going somewhere else where you may not be as valued or a have a certain role. Besides they only have 6-7 forwards under contract have to fill out a roster some how.

Right but odds are he is going to want more money than he is making now and with the guys the Wild have to sign and young guys coming up I dont see how it works out. I would love to have him because he has grit and he has scored some big goals for the team already this year. He scored a shorty before we even had a PP goal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

he also qualifies for a huge arbitration raise next year which the Wild won’t want to pay for a 4th line guy…I too like him on this team, but Hartman can be easily replaced…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Forwards most likely gone after this season: Johansson, Hartman, Bonino, Rask, Bjugstad

New forwards next year: Rossi, Boldy, ?, ?

We’ll have a few roster spots to fill either via minors promotion, trade or FA, other than getting an likely expensive 1st line center, it’s mostly cheap 4th line roll players with Sturm needed to fill out the roster…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it me or does Bjugstad really suck at using his size? Seems like he’s always getting the puck taken away from him or being outmatched on the boards for a big guy.

CaptainMusky

What are the chances the Wild have another Covid outbreak on the horizon? Hammond added to the list (everyone else came off yesterday) and he was on the bench the game before. That isnt a good thing. Thankfully the backups are typically sitting behind or almost down the hallway, but still they are around other players and staff.

JoeMX1825
    MN

What are the chances the Wild have another Covid outbreak on the horizon? Hammond added to the list (everyone else came off yesterday) and he was on the bench the game before. That isnt a good thing. Thankfully the backups are typically sitting behind or almost down the hallway, but still they are around other players and staff.

The backup goalie and coaches all wear N95 masks on the bench, so he likely wouldn’t have transmitted enough particles to infect…but its certainly possible…at least 1/2 our team has some natural immunity now so the virus is running out of people infectible…

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

This team is so far from tournament capable where does a person even begin.

So hard watching Parise and Suter with how far their talent has fallen off. Way too slow, zero anticipation and just plain past their prime. I’d love to see them both pull a “Koivu” and free this team to experience more growth for their youth. Playing bottom dwelling teams and needing a hot goalie to win? Ain’t going nowhere fast at this pace.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Is it me or does Bjugstad really suck at using his size? Seems like he’s always getting the puck taken away from him or being outmatched on the boards for a big guy.

it’s not just you…you’d think for a player on a contract year with his likely NHL career on the line he’d put more effort on the ice and use everything he has every shift…nope not the case…it was a cheap no risk move by BillyG that hasn’t worked…

This team will be so much better next year with an injection of young skill (Rossi and Boldy) that we haven’t had in many years…everything will really key around finding the 1st line center, that will set the table for all the lines to be solidified…

oh and have you guys read all the rumors that Buffalo might start listening to offers for Eichel?

JoeMX1825
    MN

This team is so far from tournament capable where does a person even begin.

So hard watching Parise and Suter with how far their talent has fallen off. Way too slow, zero anticipation and just plain past their prime. I’d love to see them both pull a “Koivu” and free this team to experience more growth for their youth. Playing bottom dwelling teams and needing a hot goalie to win? Ain’t going nowhere fast at this pace.

Covid took 35% of the Wild’s young season, these past two games have included players who normally wouldn’t snif the NHL, it will take the team a few more games to get players back and upto speed. I agree that Parise has been invisible sofar this season….but Suter has been just fine though, what else do you expect for the guy? Koivu didn’t do anything, his contract was up and we didn’t extend him, if he had 3 more years on his deal he would still be here…

I’m done complaining about Parise, it is what it is, he’ll be here until the last year of his deal is bought out…we just need to hope he and Suter still provide some value the next 3-4 years to warrant a roster spot vs rotting up in the press box…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Best part about last night’s game was seeing Spurgeon single-handedly wreck the Ducks 5 on 3 PP with 3 clears in one shift. That was a master skills clinic in positioning and getting the stick in the passing lane.

Looking at more good news, Addison looks like he is who we thought he was.

Yes. It’s like the second coming of Charlie Coyle. Good ol’ Two Touch N Give ‘er Up Chuck. Bujugstad needs to have some of what Greenway’s having and figure out how to use his backside and reach to keep defenders off.

New forwards next year: Rossi, Boldy, ?, ?

I agree, the pressure to get Boldy up here and have him work out will be enormous. Unfortunately, he basically IS the pipeline when it comes to what the team really needs and looking at who is big league ready.

Once again, the Wild’s past GM Draft Disasters looms large over this team. Where would we be had Fecktard Fenton picked what everybody knew even back then that we needed–a centerman–instead of… No. I can’t even say it. It’s too painful.

Sorry to have to say goodbye to Dumba, but it is absolutely urgent that Gurin figures out how to package Dumba + ????? and ??????? to get something decent for a forward while NOT selling out precious draft picks. Yes, yes, it’s not going to be great, but the bar is set really, really low here.

To me, this is the defining test of if Gurin really has it as an NHL GM or do we have another C player in the A league.

CaptainMusky

oh and have you guys read all the rumors that Buffalo might start listening to offers for Eichel?

I saw those rumors yesterday and I can’t say I blame Eichel. He’s carried that team as far as he can and no matter what he does they still lose. Few of the moves that team has made the last 5 years make any sense.
    I don’t know if I would want Eichel though. Based on what I have seen he’s a whiny biotch, but I guess I am contradicting myself since my first comment was basically saying I can’t blame the guy. LOL
    IDK, I still think he has a bit of an attitude, but he for sure is a 1C.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Boldy is absolutely ready for the NHL, he has an NHL body and skillset and he’s a man amongst boys in college. I also think if all goes well with his recovery that Rossi will be NHL ready next year (yes it will be 9+ months without playing a game) but he’ll be ready to go by camp.

AFTER that we’re looking at maybe another year in the AHL for Beckman but then all of our other existing prospects are 2-3 years away.

BUT

You also have to look at the Wild’s roster and contracts status..starting next year we’ll have pretty much everyone with multiple years left on their contracts, so even if we had more prospects who were ready, you need to have open NHL spots to play them in and we won’t (outside of maybe 4th line roles)

IF they don’t trade 1 or both of this years 1st round picks then they really need to get lucky and draft some studs to restock the cupboards, especially on Defense (Thankfully this is a D loaded 1st round draft)

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I saw those rumors yesterday and I can’t say I blame Eichel. He’s carried that team as far as he can and no matter what he does they still lose. Few of the moves that team has made the last 5 years make any sense.
    I don’t know if I would want Eichel though. Based on what I have seen he’s a whiny biotch, but I guess I am contradicting myself since my second comment was basically saying I can’t blame the guy. LOL
    IDK, I still think he has a bit of an attitude, but he for sure is a 1C.

I’d prefer Barkov over Eichel due to his size and playmaking ability being better than Eichel’s, but Eichel is a much better goal scorer. I’ve never heard of attitude issues with Eichel, as you said, I think he’s allowed to be pissed based on the moves Buffalo has made…Taylor Hall basically admitting he signed the 1 year deal to get boosted by playing with Eichel and then hoping to sign a long term deal somewhere else says everything…I think Jason Botterill is a grad from the Doug R school of GM…

tswoboda

Once again, the Wild’s past GM Draft Disasters looms large over this team. Where would we be had Fecktard Fenton picked what everybody knew even back then that we needed–a centerman–instead of… No. I can’t even say it. It’s too painful.

“What if” the Wild took a center instead of Fillip Johansson… Well they’d probably have Joe Veleno, a CHL exceptional status player and the best center still on the board. Veleno (skilled center) has 15 points in the SHL this year, Johansson (stay at home D) has 10.

Another really crappy game last night, both teams looked terrible but I guess the Wild were less terrible. Neutral zone and O-zone entries are so discombobulated for the Wild right now, just pure chaos on regroups that ends in a dump in or blue line turnover. PP is getting worse, can they decline penalties like in football? To me this stuff is a clear sign of bad coaching. I’m not sure if it’s the goofy season or actually bad coaching, but the Wild look like a poorly coached team right now. They just have zero chemistry or flow to the game and looks like no one is on the same page. Hopefully it’s due to the layoff and playing with spare parts, but I think this continues until they get everyone back and Dean FINALLY leaves the freaking lines alone for more than 2 shifts.

Addison had a rough night last night, mishandled like 4 or 5 pucks at the blue line and gave up the only Ducks goal with soft net front coverage. He almost gave up the tieing goal on a 2-1 late in the 3rd too. He will be back in Iowa when Soucy and Brodin come back.

CaptainMusky

Addison had a rough night last night, mishandled like 4 or 5 pucks at the blue line and gave up the only Ducks goal with soft net front coverage. He almost gave up the tieing goal on a 2-1 late in the 3rd too. He will be back in Iowa when Soucy and Brodin come back.

Agreed, he had a rough game for sure. I thought his first game he looked pretty good, but he was equally as bad last night. He needs more games and AHL is the place for him right now. He will play at the NHL level and it was good to get a few games under his belt.

tswoboda

I’d prefer Barkov over Eichel due to his size and playmaking ability being better than Eichel’s, but Eichel is a much better goal scorer. I’ve never heard of attitude issues with Eichel, as you said, I think he’s allowed to be pissed based on the moves Buffalo has made…Taylor Hall basically admitting he signed the 1 year deal to get boosted by playing with Eichel and then hoping to sign a long term deal somewhere else says everything…I think Jason Botterill is a grad from the Doug R school of GM…

They’re the same size ??

2 months without Koivu and you already wanna bring in a 2-way Finnish center… nice. Barkov is a Selke type and Eichel is more of a Hart/Richard/Ross type. Eichel also a couple years younger. Give me Eichel 100%!!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I guess I didn’t realize that Eichel is 6’2″, but Barkov is still bigger…I also factor in that Barkov is the more likely of the two to get traded (even though either getting traded is a long shot, one can hope)
    Barkov is a Selke guy?? we must have been watching a different player…he’s had less offensive help than Eichel has had, Huberdeau is the only other forward you can name on the Panthers team the past 5 years…maybe Trocheck, but he was a center and never played with Barkov…
    Eichel’s contract is at least a known value at $10 million per for 5 more years, Barkov has one more year at $5.9 but then who knows what he’ll ask for long term? $11+?

We can hope for the best, but at this point i’ll take a 50 point guy with a 50% faceoff percentage…

tswoboda

Barkov is a Selke guy?? we must have been watching a different player…

Yeah… he is, and I’d put money on him winning the Selke during his career. I don’t mean that as a knock on him, just look who’s dominated the Selke over the years, Bergeron and Kopitar – really good centers. It’s defined as a “defensive” award but it always goes to a center with a lot of points that plays good D too. Shut down guys like Eriksson Ek never win it even though that type of player should based on definition. Also Barkov has placed top 5 in Selke voting like 3 times already so I guess the AP guys are watching a different player too. shock

he also qualifies for a huge arbitration raise next year which the Wild won’t want to pay for a 4th line guy…I too like him on this team, but Hartman can be easily replaced…

Circling back on Hartman… I’ve always heard teams are scared of the arbitration case with Hartman but how big of a case does a 25-30 point guy really have? I mean he’s been in the league like 5 years now so he can’t play the young guy card anymore. His QO is $1.9m and I’m guessing he’d take that so do the Wild bring him back at that number or let him walk to UFA? I’m guessing they let him walk. I agree I do like his game though, he fills a bottom 6 energy guy roll very well.

CaptainMusky

Anyone else notice the poor game Greenway had last night? I think it was really only the first clunker he had, but he was so strong up to last night. Not a good night, the entire team looked pretty bad with a couple twinkling spots that were just enough to win against a bad team. The Wild arent world beaters, but they should have had that game put away quickly.
    Spurgeon and Hartman were about the only two players who I thought played pretty solid for 3 periods.

Ripjiggen

Boldy is absolutely ready for the NHL, he has an NHL body and skillset and he’s a man amongst boys in college. I also think if all goes well with his recovery that Rossi will be NHL ready next year (yes it will be 9+ months without playing a game) but he’ll be ready to go by camp.

AFTER that we’re looking at maybe another year in the AHL for Beckman but then all of our other existing prospects are 2-3 years away.

BUT

You also have to look at the Wild’s roster and contracts status..starting next year we’ll have pretty much everyone with multiple years left on their contracts, so even if we had more prospects who were ready, you need to have open NHL spots to play them in and we won’t (outside of maybe 4th line roles)

IF they don’t trade 1 or both of this years 1st round picks then they really need to get lucky and draft some studs to restock the cupboards, especially on Defense (Thankfully this is a D loaded 1st round draft)

More D? There top 3 are here for 5 plus years. With a prospect at this point that you just traded for that doesn’t have a spot to currently play in your top 4. Are we really drafting d for 5-6 years down the line in the first round this year. God I hope not. Haven’t dove into the draft for this year but man I hope there is skill up front where the wild are severely lacking.

tswoboda

Haven’t dove into the draft for this year but man I hope there is skill up front where the wild are severely lacking.

Spoiler alert… there’s not. I think Joe’s point is just that the prospect pool is lacking at defense, and this draft class is a lot better on defense than forward.

I agree it feels silly to be drafting D in the first round right now, but realistically when do you expect a 2021 mid-1st rounder to make an impact on the NHL club… I’m thinking 2023-2024 season. By that time Dumba is gone, Suter is 39, Spurgeon is 34, and Addison is coming off his ELC. That’s why teams draft BPA.

Ripjiggen

Most of what I am seeing and reading is that it is top heavy for dmen. 4 of top 5 picks are probably D, maybe 5 of the top 6, and has more late round to early second round picks as D.
    I don’t expect the wild to be drafting in those spots at the moment. Maybe Pitts will be later if they sneak into the playoffs. Either way I think if the wild are sitting on Dumba and two 1st round draft picks come draft night they won’t be getting better anytime soon. I guess we will see come draft night what there draft choices will look like.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah, i’m just saying that outside of Addison, who’s a legit Defenseman prospect we have? If we’re on the clock and Owen Power is available, you take Owen Power or BPA irregardless of position.

Ripjiggen

Don’t disagree on that Joe.

CaptainMusky

You guys following the outdoor games coming up at Tahoe? That backdrop is unreal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

You guys following the outdoor games coming up at Tahoe? That backdrop is unreal.

The backdrop is crazy cool, but how don’t the NHL ice guys know that dark logo’s and graphics under the ice will cause it to melt in sunlight? Every kid who’s skated outdoor park rinks knows the blueline ice melts when it gets sunny out…amateurs…

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

A power play goal?!?!?!? applause

tswoboda

A power play goal?!?!?!? applause

Deano finally threw the towel in and just rolling the forward lines through the power play… And it’s working way better lol.

Is Hakanpaa really good or does Lapanta just love saying that name? Could make for a dangerous drinking game!

Viewing 30 posts - 871 through 900 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.